Chesapeake Public Schools Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you are planning on becoming a teacher.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 29, 2017
Typical day at work is substituting for teachers whom may have the day off for grades pre-k through 12th. I learned how to control a class setting with 20 or less children, make lesson plans, and give children guidance to help them be productive academically. The most rewarding part of the job is knowing you helped make a difference in a child's life.
Great job for women/men retired or with small children
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 21, 2017
Love the children, meeting new ones every year. Great job for women/men retired or with small children. Great benefits for hours worked. Meeting new friends.
Pros
Medical, Dental, Off all holidays, Off in the summer, meeting new people
Cons
Non for what I do.
Great place to grow
Early Childhood Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 16, 2017
The opportunity for growth is available for staff and students. It's a growing city that strives to serve all students and their families. Good place.
School experiencing changes
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 16, 2017
Indian River High School recently experienced a change in management which left some teachers unhappy, but overall was a positive work environment. Some of the students were not held accountable for their actions.
Pros
summer off
Cons
very underpaid
Chesapeake Public Schools
Lead School Secretary (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 15, 2017
I have worked in this school system since 2013 and I have enjoyed it. The environment is challenging but fun, and I personally enjoy being surrounded by the students. The hours are wonderful however a bit inconvenient if you are a 12 month employee.
Excellent Team
High School Soccer Coach (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 12, 2017
Great straight forward school system that puts information out to staff and is clear with expectations and goals. Solid pay structure and true team environment that looks out for the students. Great opportunity to grow and advance.
Great Job with Kids
Substitute Teacher/Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 2, 2017
As long as you have a willingness to work, there is almost always a position open and most of the administrators are super nice. I would say that anyone interested in substituting should at least give Chesapeake a try
Fun enjoyable environment
Custodian Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 11, 2017
Open building, Check classrooms and grounds for an disturbance. Place work orders when needed and make minor repairs throughout the building. Check and help employees when needed.
Pros
Home at same time daily and weekends off
Cons
System changes yearly
Opportunities to be a positive, male role model.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 21, 2017
I substitute in all grades and subjects. I feel a lot of support from the staff. Most students express less interest in getting an education. I appreciate the opportunity to express a caring, role model for all the students. I appreciate the times when they share with me some of their concerns.
Pros
Encouraging, supportive staff. Windows of light in their lives.
Cons
Many students have not been taught respect for authority and discipline.
Being a substitute teacher for Chesapeake Schools offers great flexibility.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 1, 2017
There is generally an opportunity to work every day.. Substitute teachers are allowed to fill positions from preschool to high school throughout the school district. Chesapeake uses a sub finder online program which makes it very easy to see what jobs are available. This system makes it easy for you to pick in choose location and dates that are good for you.
Pros
Flexibility and offers various locations to work
Cons
There are fewer regular teacher jobs available than teachers aids jobs.
too much stress for little pay
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 19, 2017
It is very difficult for the public school systems to keep bus drivers because children are out of control, and bus drivers have very little options available to keep them under control while they are on the bus. The administrations are aware of this problem and do not have any answers and they provide little support for their drivers.
Pros
Awesome Insurance!!!
Cons
Terrible management!!!!!!
No real pay
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 18, 2017
Love the job be the pay has real gone down hill. When i first start i could take of my kids now im barley making from pay check too pay check . Cant make overtime without get called in. Just want to get paid for my work.
Pros
I love to drive
Cons
Dont get paid for my worth
Teaching
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 18, 2017
Working as a teacher is exhausting and rewarding at the same time. I have not received an actual raise in nine years, although the "raise" I have received were to cover insurance. I have learned how to work with limited resources and difficult people.
chesapeake public schools
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 27, 2017
It is a pretty good job have long work days outside but the work is not that difficult I enjoyed working with the crew I was on everybody was a hard worker and was serious about there job.
Productive and Fun work place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 21, 2017
I love working as a Substitute teacher; all the teachers are friendly and helpful. Too, you can make your own schedule. I too love working with all school levels, elementary, middle and high school children.
Nice Place
Special Education Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 16, 2017
Chesapeake Public Schools is a very nice place to work. They provide excellent service to our children. They keep up with Virginia's Standards of Learning.
A great professional environment with a common goal of keeping our kids safe was first.
Office Admin and Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  EW Chittum, Joliff Middle School, WBHSFebruary 6, 2017
Volunteering in the schools was a opportunity to give back to our teachers and staff who give to our students whole heartedly. I enjoyed the busy work of the front office staff.
Pros
I could keep up with the information and calendars of the school.
Cons
No paid positions.
Job Security
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 26, 2017
I have been with CPS since 2005. When all the neighboring cities were laying teachers off. CPS put their employees first ALL the time. This school district goes above and beyond to retain their teachers by any means necessary. If the district has to decide whether to give 2% raises to all or cutting jobs. CPS has always made the decision to do what's in the best interest of their faculty.
Pros
Job security; Family-Oriented
Cons
Inconsistent tolerance of discipline
Trusting worthy and friendly staff
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 18, 2017
The staff at Chesapeake Public Schools is extremely warm and inviting, they love to make all people that come in, whether it be fellow staff or employees, feel welcome. They work extremely hard to make sure that employees get what they need in a timely manner. Opportunities to do more and make progress are available.
Fun and demanding
Permanent Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 5, 2017
I truly loved working with children, teaching, and helping others. My only problem was that during the summer, I could not find permanent employment, so it put me in a positions where I could not draw unemployment, because I was still listed as "employed" by Chesapeake Public Schools. So, in the summer my income was not strong. I needed job security