Chesapeake Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Currently Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant/Kindergarten (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VA 23324May 19, 2016
I support the Kindergarten teacher with small groups remediation, whole group teaching. I have almost completed my degree in Early Childhood Education and this job has helped prepare me for my new journey. There is a lot of work for lesson planning but I love my job and I am ready to move forward. I find it highly rewarding when you are helping a student and you see when they experience that "ah-ha" moment!!
Pros
Great system to work
I enjoy working for Chesapeake Public Schools. My work schedule was perfect for my family life.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 1, 2016
My position with Chesapeake Public Schools has been enjoyable. The only problem is there's no room for advancement in my department.The hours were conducive for a young family and worked well for me. But now I am in the position that I am able to work longer and more hours and would really like to do so. A full time position is of great interest to me.
Pros
Hours are great for a peson with young school age children
Cons
Hours were frozen at 25 per week with no opportunity for advancement
Chesapeake Public Schools is the best school system in the Tidewter Area. I enjoyed working there for 30 years.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indian River High SchoolApril 18, 2016
I believe Chesapeake Public Schools is the best school system in the area. I had the opportunity to enhance my education while teaching and was given many responsibilities that were rewarded. The faculty, staff and personnel were fabulous.
Inviting, safe and friendly environment
Office Manager/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 23, 2016
Working for Chesapeake Public school is very busy and requires constant attention to the needs of children, parents, faculty and staff. I have learned how to manage an office of 3 while tending to over 500+ individual needs. Also, ensuring the financials in the building are maintained and balanced. The position as bookkeeper requires the upkeep of employees time, materials and supplies, and programs. The hardest part of the job is balancing the duty of Secretary and Bookkeeper. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the employees, children, parents and vendors.
Pros
The Benefits, being able to meet everyone's needs.
Great school system
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 19, 2016
Great school system with solid leadership. Students are held accountable for the most part. The leadership at my school was top notch.
Great place to be!
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 10, 2016
From the moment the first bell rings to the last child getting on the bus, the day is jam-packed! I love to see the smile on the children's faces when they finally get a concept that they have been struggling with.
its alright
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 5, 2016
its alright just ready to move on to something better. Looking for a driving positon or warehouse position in Georgia preferably Atlanta or Decatur .
Did not like lack of support for subs
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 7, 2015
Not consistent with positions and long-term positions. Students are harder to keep in check. Very little is done to keep students in line. the students are allowed cell phones, Cheating can not be controlled.
I love my job
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 23, 2015
I enjoy work with Chesapeake public schools however they don pay as much as I would like.I have to work two jobs to make an honest living for my daughter and I
Many career opportunities
Teacher/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VirginiaOctober 17, 2015
Chesaoeake Public Schools is a great place for individuals to work and have a life long career. This school system does alot for all the attending students with a wide variety of career programs and preparation for college or many post secondary programs.
Work with students that are unable to attend school.
Homebound Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hugo Owens Middle SchoolSeptember 30, 2015
Arrive at target school, collect student's assignments, go to student's home, go-over and teach student assignments.
Pros
One-on-one tutoring, flexible hours, meet interesting people.
Cons
No job security, get a contract on each student, no contract with school system, no pay during vacation and holidays.
CPS is a family oriented divison, who grooms and promotes from within.
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 11, 2015
As an employee, I was identified as one with leadership potential and groomed for leadership roles such as Educational Specialist,
Administrative Assistant, and Assistant Principal.
Pros
Training and mentoring provided.
Cons
Long hours as an administrator, which interferes with family time frequently.
Excellent experience teaching children
Kindergarten Teacher, Grade Level Leader (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 28, 2015
Chesapeake Public Schools was one of the best school systems that I've worked in. They provide excellent professional development for staff and they are supportive of their teachers providing them will all necessary tools to do their jobs effectively.
Sabrina Watson
Fun and entertaining work environment
ELL teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake VirginiaAugust 19, 2015
Never a dull moment teaching the young children english. I learned how to be a more effective teacher. The management is really friendly and helpful. My co-workers are also helpful and we try to make the work day fun. Sometimes we share lesson plans to help each other. The most challenging part of my job is finding new resources to teach the kids and making sure they are always engaged. What I love most about my job is seeing my students smiling faces ready to learn and seeing how much they have improved.
Pros
Friendly administration and staff
Cons
No benefits because I only have a part time job.
Teacher
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 5, 2015
Looking for advancement in my career
Great environment
Great administration
Very rewarding
Friendly and helpful co-workers
Pros
Teacher
challenging and rewarding
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 30, 2015
Working with the students is challenging and yet rewarding. Challenging them to learn and express their ideas. Exciting working in Adaptive PE as a long term substitute. It is great to work for teachers that prepare their class for when they are going to be out!
Pros
different locations
Cons
not enough money to pay my monthly budget
Great public relations experience
Special Education Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 27, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching not only the basic subjects, but instilling optimistic views in the lives of the youth and our future.
Pros
Assisting special needs children
Cons
Salary
productive workplace and new skills to learn everyday
food handler (Former Employee) –  chesapeak, vaMay 20, 2015
Chesapeake Public Schools is a wonderful place if you love a environment that focus on children and there needs of education, housekeeping, and nutrition.
Pros
able to work many potions as a partimer
Cons
not having enoughing enough contracts
Office
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 28, 2015
Very fun office to be apart of.
upbeat and comfortable
entertaining
will learn different office programs
A typical day at work includes filing mail, handling calls, transferring calls, scheduling appointment
Very good educational environment
Teacher/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VirginiaMarch 3, 2015
One of the top educational environments for children to learn. The preparation for the work force or continued education is of high quality and standards.
Pros
multiple opportunities for individuals
Cons
management is set in concrete

4.4