Chesapeake Public Schools Employee Reviews

Understaffed
Food service worker (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 2, 2017
Hard work for not enough pay.
Cut backs not allowing proper staffing.
co-workers nice but everyone stressed.
No extra hour available to work only 22 hrs per week.
No advancement.
Add extra job duties and no extra compensation.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no enough hours, pay or help
Fun and demanding
Permanent Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 5, 2017
I truly loved working with children, teaching, and helping others. My only problem was that during the summer, I could not find permanent employment, so it put me in a positions where I could not draw unemployment, because I was still listed as "employed" by Chesapeake Public Schools. So, in the summer my income was not strong. I needed job security
Difficult but its the little moments that can be so heartwarming and rewarding
School health advisor (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 21, 2016
School nursing is not as easy as I thought it would be and as easy as people often think it is. It is a difficult profession that is unfortunately often overlooked and underpaid. There are more and more responsibilities as children with muti-dimensional needs are entering the school system. We must strategize with parents whose knowledge-base is varied. I enjoy working in the community that I am in but it can be very frustrating with lack of understanding from staff and parents. I often feel very alone, yet, I must always think like a team player because there are always those times when we need each other in one way or another.
Pros
I enjoy working with the staff and students. Weekends, summers, holidays off!
Cons
It is difficult, sometimes impossible to find a substitute. I am the only RN in the building.
Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 4, 2017
I was a substitute teacher for the school district. I was able to pick the school(s) I wanted to be at which was great. Dealing with a different classroom and different lesson plan had its challenges, however, it was a rewarding job. I was privileged to substitute for a LEAD classroom and even was asked back. That was such a rewarding experience that I cherish. I learned how to communicate differently and be more patient. My co-workers were wonderful with making me feel like I was part of the school as well. It was a great part time job to have that worked with my kids' schedules as well.
I enjoy working for Chesapeake Public Schools. My work schedule was perfect for my family life.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 1, 2016
My position with Chesapeake Public Schools has been enjoyable. The only problem is there's no room for advancement in my department.The hours were conducive for a young family and worked well for me. But now I am in the position that I am able to work longer and more hours and would really like to do so. A full time position is of great interest to me.
Pros
Hours are great for a peson with young school age children
Cons
Hours were frozen at 25 per week with no opportunity for advancement
Trusting worthy and friendly staff
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 18, 2017
The staff at Chesapeake Public Schools is extremely warm and inviting, they love to make all people that come in, whether it be fellow staff or employees, feel welcome. They work extremely hard to make sure that employees get what they need in a timely manner. Opportunities to do more and make progress are available.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher, Grades K (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 8, 2016
Substitute teaching is very flexible and fun. I enjoyed subbing at both the elementary and middle school levels. I didn't like not knowing until that morning if I would get a call to come in to sub or not. Made things hard to try and have a normal schedule/routine.
Inviting, safe and friendly environment
Office Manager/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 23, 2016
Working for Chesapeake Public school is very busy and requires constant attention to the needs of children, parents, faculty and staff. I have learned how to manage an office of 3 while tending to over 500+ individual needs. Also, ensuring the financials in the building are maintained and balanced. The position as bookkeeper requires the upkeep of employees time, materials and supplies, and programs. The hardest part of the job is balancing the duty of Secretary and Bookkeeper. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the employees, children, parents and vendors.
Pros
The Benefits, being able to meet everyone's needs.
Fun and entertaining work environment
ELL teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake VirginiaAugust 19, 2015
Never a dull moment teaching the young children english. I learned how to be a more effective teacher. The management is really friendly and helpful. My co-workers are also helpful and we try to make the work day fun. Sometimes we share lesson plans to help each other. The most challenging part of my job is finding new resources to teach the kids and making sure they are always engaged. What I love most about my job is seeing my students smiling faces ready to learn and seeing how much they have improved.
Pros
Friendly administration and staff
Cons
No benefits because I only have a part time job.
Currently Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant/Kindergarten (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VA 23324May 19, 2016
I support the Kindergarten teacher with small groups remediation, whole group teaching. I have almost completed my degree in Early Childhood Education and this job has helped prepare me for my new journey. There is a lot of work for lesson planning but I love my job and I am ready to move forward. I find it highly rewarding when you are helping a student and you see when they experience that "ah-ha" moment!!
Pros
Great system to work
Nice place to work, good benefits, job security but no way to move up and no raises
Warehouse and supply delivery person (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 1, 2013
Working at CPS has been a great experience for me, A typical day consisted of delivey of furniture, custodial goods and other items to individual schools and offices. The summer consisted of a lot of moving of furniture from classrooms, offices, portables and other places for renovations and other reasons. My co-workers were very easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is the lifting of things like wrestling mats and moving them from school to school. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendships made throughout the entire school system.
Pros
Benefits, job security, Monday - Friday
Cons
No way to move up and no raises
Chesapeake Public Schools is the best school system in the Tidewter Area. I enjoyed working there for 30 years.
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indian River High SchoolApril 18, 2016
I believe Chesapeake Public Schools is the best school system in the area. I had the opportunity to enhance my education while teaching and was given many responsibilities that were rewarded. The faculty, staff and personnel were fabulous.
Wonderful place to work.
Substitute Nuring assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 10, 2015
Chesapeake public schools is a great place to work. Management is wonderful and very supportive. All staff are team players and the work load is great. Hours of work are the best if you have children, you go to work when they go to school and you come home when they do. Are off all summer and holidays the children are off. Pay is not the greatest but there are so many benefits to make up for it.
Not concerned about the average worker, only the officials are important, no chance of advancement and no raises
Warehouse and Supply Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 15, 2013
I worked Chesapeake Public Schools for 21 years and over the years it has gotten less family oriented. There have been no chance for advancement or raises. They do not care about the little people
Pros
Mon - Fri
Cons
no raises or change of advancement
Work with students that are unable to attend school.
Homebound Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hugo Owens Middle SchoolSeptember 30, 2015
Arrive at target school, collect student's assignments, go to student's home, go-over and teach student assignments.
Pros
One-on-one tutoring, flexible hours, meet interesting people.
Cons
No job security, get a contract on each student, no contract with school system, no pay during vacation and holidays.
CPS is a family oriented divison, who grooms and promotes from within.
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 11, 2015
As an employee, I was identified as one with leadership potential and groomed for leadership roles such as Educational Specialist,
Administrative Assistant, and Assistant Principal.
Pros
Training and mentoring provided.
Cons
Long hours as an administrator, which interferes with family time frequently.
Many career opportunities
Teacher/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VirginiaOctober 17, 2015
Chesaoeake Public Schools is a great place for individuals to work and have a life long career. This school system does alot for all the attending students with a wide variety of career programs and preparation for college or many post secondary programs.
Steady and Fun Working Environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VirginiaFebruary 1, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of teaching the students and maintaining a safe environment . I learned that all people are unique in their own way and learn differently. I was responsible for a classroom of about 24 students on a daily basis. My co-workers were very helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job was going into a classroom where the students were not familiar with you and having them to trust and respect you for that day. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new material and interacting with the students.
Pros
Working Relationships, Flexability and Helping Others
Cons
Healthcare, Pay and Job Security
Awesome school system to work for
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 5, 2012
Great place to work. Most enjoyable part of the job was working closely with the children after school for clubs and sports and to see their accomplishments in and out of the classroom.
Pros
retirement/ raises/ vacation/ summers off
Great place to be!
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 10, 2016
From the moment the first bell rings to the last child getting on the bus, the day is jam-packed! I love to see the smile on the children's faces when they finally get a concept that they have been struggling with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chesapeake Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3