Chesapeake Public Schools Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working in the classroom setting.
Sixth Grade Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 20, 2017
Taught 6th grade students with special needs in an inclusion and self-contained settings. The leadership team was awesome and the teachers were great to work with.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
None at this time.
Good safe fun place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 17, 2017
Most days I enjoyed and looked forward to going to work. The schools that I chose to work in were good, safe, fun working environments. The Principal really determines the work climate, culture and pace.
Loved working with the kids.
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 17, 2017
The school system it great. They provide leave for staff. They also provide different trainings for staff. The school system also has retirement for the employees.
Pros
V.R.S, sick leave
Cons
No cons
Rewarding job.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 23, 2017
Working with children with special needs was very rewarding for me and I loved every minute of it. You don't always get paid what you are worth though.
Pros
All holidays off and paid sick days.
Cons
low pay
Great Company/Wrong Timing
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 15, 2017
Awesome job and company.it was just a miscommunication of how old my then youngest child had to be to ride while I work,Since day care is not something I choose to use.
Pros
Breaks when kids were out of school, No day care was Required
Cons
Children had to be two years old to ride
My favorite job
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Deep Creek ElementaryAugust 15, 2017
I absolutely enjoyed my job. I had a family emergency and had to resign, other than that I would have still been employed there, I love working with the younger students.
Pros
love the holidays, the hours, the joy it gave me. I just loved everything about my last positon with the system
Cons
I really can't think of anything.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 15, 2017
It is a great place to work. It is a very well balanced work environment for individuals that look to advance. The staff are great people to work with and for.
productive learning environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 7, 2017
I enjoyed working as a substitute teacher at chesapeake public schools. The hours were flexible and I was able to choose working in the elementary schools. Even though I did work at the middle and high school age students, I felt more comfortable at the elementary schools.
Not recommended as a positive work environment
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 3, 2017
Poor management from the School Board all the way down to building level administrators. So incompetent, the School Board can not follow their own policy guidelines or federal guidelines. Civil rights, equal opportunity, and fair play are nonexistent, if you are not in the correct social click.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
competency and dedication are not valued
This was like my second home until my retirement
Security Officer (retired) (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 27, 2017
I was a good place to work, however when you get new administration and they come in an change everything which they think is better and its not, it brings the whole entire moral down of the faculty and staff.
Pros
benefits, holidays and summer off
Cons
the place is not as enjoyable as it use to be
Great place to work if you are planning on becoming a teacher.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 29, 2017
Typical day at work is substituting for teachers whom may have the day off for grades pre-k through 12th. I learned how to control a class setting with 20 or less children, make lesson plans, and give children guidance to help them be productive academically. The most rewarding part of the job is knowing you helped make a difference in a child's life.
Great job for women/men retired or with small children
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 21, 2017
Love the children, meeting new ones every year. Great job for women/men retired or with small children. Great benefits for hours worked. Meeting new friends.
Pros
Medical, Dental, Off all holidays, Off in the summer, meeting new people
Cons
Non for what I do.
Great place to grow
Early Childhood Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 16, 2017
The opportunity for growth is available for staff and students. It's a growing city that strives to serve all students and their families. Good place.
School experiencing changes
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 16, 2017
Indian River High School recently experienced a change in management which left some teachers unhappy, but overall was a positive work environment. Some of the students were not held accountable for their actions.
Pros
summer off
Cons
very underpaid
Chesapeake Public Schools
Lead School Secretary (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 15, 2017
I have worked in this school system since 2013 and I have enjoyed it. The environment is challenging but fun, and I personally enjoy being surrounded by the students. The hours are wonderful however a bit inconvenient if you are a 12 month employee.
Excellent Team
High School Soccer Coach (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 12, 2017
Great straight forward school system that puts information out to staff and is clear with expectations and goals. Solid pay structure and true team environment that looks out for the students. Great opportunity to grow and advance.
Great Job with Kids
Substitute Teacher/Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 2, 2017
As long as you have a willingness to work, there is almost always a position open and most of the administrators are super nice. I would say that anyone interested in substituting should at least give Chesapeake a try
Fun enjoyable environment
Custodian Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 11, 2017
Open building, Check classrooms and grounds for an disturbance. Place work orders when needed and make minor repairs throughout the building. Check and help employees when needed.
Pros
Home at same time daily and weekends off
Cons
System changes yearly
Opportunities to be a positive, male role model.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 21, 2017
I substitute in all grades and subjects. I feel a lot of support from the staff. Most students express less interest in getting an education. I appreciate the opportunity to express a caring, role model for all the students. I appreciate the times when they share with me some of their concerns.
Pros
Encouraging, supportive staff. Windows of light in their lives.
Cons
Many students have not been taught respect for authority and discipline.
Being a substitute teacher for Chesapeake Schools offers great flexibility.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 1, 2017
There is generally an opportunity to work every day.. Substitute teachers are allowed to fill positions from preschool to high school throughout the school district. Chesapeake uses a sub finder online program which makes it very easy to see what jobs are available. This system makes it easy for you to pick in choose location and dates that are good for you.
Pros
Flexibility and offers various locations to work
Cons
There are fewer regular teacher jobs available than teachers aids jobs.