Chesapeake Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome school system to work for
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 5, 2012
Great place to work. Most enjoyable part of the job was working closely with the children after school for clubs and sports and to see their accomplishments in and out of the classroom.
Pros
retirement/ raises/ vacation/ summers off
Very good educational environment
Teacher/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VirginiaMarch 3, 2015
One of the top educational environments for children to learn. The preparation for the work force or continued education is of high quality and standards.
Pros
multiple opportunities for individuals
Cons
management is set in concrete
High school job, first job i Ever had!
jannitoral (Former Employee) –  chesapeakeJuly 8, 2012
Good job
This was my first job i ever had
All i had to do was clean all day for 6 hours a day after my class was over

I could go to lunch with My class mate
I could choose to go to lunch when ever i wanted to

At longs i did my job It was great

the hardest part of the job was being picked on Because i was working at high school as a Jantorial

mangement , wasnt tight on me
Really cool guy
I all ways did my job

It was a high school job

I also injoyed the fact i could have some many people to talk to

I didnt talk too much to where it seem like i wasnt working
Pros
work hard and see it pay off
Cons
raniy days
Most rewarding career I've ever experienced! The best ten years of my career.
Technology Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 16, 2014
• Prepared daily lesson plans and pace guides for various courses in Technology Education.
• Courses include: Basic Technical Drawing, Physics for Technology II, Materials Processing, Power and Transportation, Photography (B&W and Digital), Production Systems, Graphic Communications, and Communication Technology.
• Member of the Virginia Career and Technical Education Robotics Curriculum board 2013.
• Member of the Chesapeake Public Schools Power and Transportation Curriculum board 2011.
• Served as Chapter & Tidewater Region Technology Student Association Advisor 2004 - 2013.
• Served as President & Vice President of the Tidewater Region Virginia Technology and Engineering Education Association 2009-2013.
• Founded a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) Team 2890 in 2008, Main Sponsor 2008-2013.
• Founded a FIRST Tech Challenge Robotics Team in 2012. Main Sponsor.
• Founded three VEX Robotics Teams in 2012. Main Sponsor.
Pros
working with young adults is rewarding.
Cons
there is never enough time to do it all.
loved to work with the kids
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 12, 2013
I had to clean the kitchen before cooking and prepping the food, served the children, and cleaned the kitchen after serving the children.
I learned how to prepare the food for the children.
the management was very caring and supportive.
the co-workers were wonderful to work with.
the hardest thing to do was making sure the food was at the right temperature.
the most enjoyable part was getting to see the bright smiling faces of the children.
Pros
getting to work with kids and working with great co-workers
Cons
not enough hours
productive workplace and new skills to learn everyday
food handler (Former Employee) –  chesapeak, vaMay 20, 2015
Chesapeake Public Schools is a wonderful place if you love a environment that focus on children and there needs of education, housekeeping, and nutrition.
Pros
able to work many potions as a partimer
Cons
not having enoughing enough contracts
Chesapeake Public Schools is a great school system.
Kindergarten - 2nd grade teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VaMay 25, 2013
Working with children and seeing the progress they make from September to June is extraordinary. However, standardized testing has taken the enjoyment and fun out of teaching. Therefore, I am seeking a career in informal rather than formal education.
Pay is good, but lots of government inertia
Technical Support Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 26, 2013
Pay is good but it seems like to get promoted you need to wait for others to die or retire, pretty much like other local governments I've worked for.
Pros
above average pay, good health care
Cons
little promotion chance, no training
Great office environment!
Data Quality Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 4, 2013
A typical day entailed checking emails, mailbox and clearing any paperwork which may have been added so as to be able to input information into Starbase and place records into appropriate file. I learned how to quickly and accurately input data and kept the records room meticulous. Additionally, I was also responsible for the enrollment and withdrawals of students. At times throughout the school year I was extremely busy and could become inundated with paperwork that needed to be sorted, entered into the computer and filed. However, although this required a good deal of time, it enhanced my ability to multitask. It was always challenging and that made it enjoyable because I remained busy throughout the day.
Pros
getting to know the students
Cons
limited growth potential
Office
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 28, 2015
Very fun office to be apart of.
upbeat and comfortable
entertaining
will learn different office programs
A typical day at work includes filing mail, handling calls, transferring calls, scheduling appointment
Teachers Assistant
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 22, 2012
typical day started on the bus ramp unloading all the sweet lil' children. I welcomed the students every day with hugs, hello's, smiles and sometimes new winter gloves for their hands. I would be assigned the same first grade teachers every day and had a certain time to go into their classrooms and help them with what ever they needed. Tutoring a child one on one, read a book at circle time, grade tests, make copies at copy machine. I love children and this was like a big family every day. The hours were perfect because i had 2 sons also in elementary school and our holidays/days off were the same. I left this job to enter into Surgical Tech school for a better future.
Pros
smiles and studies all day long
Great enviornment and teams all working to reach the same goal
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 22, 2013
Working for Chesapeake Public Schools has given me great time and people management skills. The employees are very friendly and helped a lot in adjusting to the learning environment of a middle school.
Part-time position
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 13, 2013
The position is part-time with part-time pay. The work availability is scarce with minimize work hours per week.
Pros
receiving compensation when working.
Cons
work availability is little to none per week.
Great PLace To Work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  ChesapeakeSeptember 29, 2014
early days
short work hours
management is great very fair
I enjoy working with people
The Public Education system in Va and the nation is in a state of duress.
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VirginiaDecember 5, 2013
The Public Education system in Va and the nation is in a state of duress. The goal of producing critical thinkers has been subjugated by the governmental edict to produce and concentrate "education" on core-testing which, more and more, leaves less and less room to explore and cultivate the abstract thinking capacity in the minds of the student.

It can be depressing.
Pros
the long (10-13 hour school, grading, contacting parents) days lead to a rejuvination period of 75-80 days that run concurrently.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 4, 2014
I Enjoyed doing this. Though there was no benefits with this job, it was enjoyable.
A Productive Work Place
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 21, 2012
Developed and implemented learning materials as well as preparation of classrooms to encourage participation in group and individual activities; Pre-K through 5th grade. Utilized various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions and demonstrations; formulated and revised classroom objectives on all lessons as needed to help facilitate student learning.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not a permanent position
Overall it is a wonderful place to work.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 24, 2014
This job included reporting to work at 7:25 AM, checking your mailbox, and getting your room ready for the children to arrive at 8:05 AM. Typically the resource children would arrive from approximately two - seven different Regular Education Teachers. The children were from two or three different grade levels. Therefore you had to do as much grouping as you could for example: The Morning Opening would be a combined event, all the children would participate. During the 15 minute morning opening a Book was read by the class or listened to from a tape recorder, calendar was completed and the schedule was gone over so that every child knew what they were suppose to do or what their responsibility was.

I taught 45 minutes of Math, 2.5 hours of English or Language Arts and sometimes Social Studies and Science on alternate days for 1/2 hours. It would depend on whether the child was self-contained which meant 3.5 or more hours of their day would be with me. Or if they were resource which meant they were with me for less than 3.5 hours per day.

The children would return to their Homeroom or Regular Education Teacher for Music, P.E., computer, recess, lunch and to pack up and get on the bus.

I learned so much on this job because they had In Service Training often. Management was wonderful for most of the working years that I was with Chesapeake Public Schools expect for the last year when I was about to turn 55 years old and I was pressured to retire so the Virginia Retirement System would not have to pay me double the amount of money they do before you turn age 55.

My co-workers
  more... were wonderful and I miss them very much. Of course the most enjoyable part of my job was working with the children and seeing their smiling faces everyday.  less
Nice work enviroment with encouraging co-workers
General Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 4, 2013
I would stand my morning duty. Check with all my teachers to see what was needed to help them. After tending to my morning schedule I would eat lunch and continue with my afternoon schedule. After students were on buses. I would go and help with student pickup.
Each day was a new experience and the children and coworkers were a joy to work with.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 25, 2013
The schools I worked at were informative about the position I was to take on each day. Teachers were helpful and informative to assist and give pertinent information about special needs children so I may meet their needs for the day. I enjoyed working in this environment as to taking course work as a special education teacher.

4.4