Chess Scholars was founded in 2001 and currently works with over 4,500 students through over 300 schools. The students are mostly between the ages of 5 and 10 (grades K-5), and many of them are beginners.
We are looking to fill multiple openings throughout the Chicago Metropolitan area and Milwaukee Metropolitan area. Most classes will be starting in late September and early October. The classes are offered once a week and start around 2:00, 2:30pm, 3:00pm, or 3:30pm on weekday afternoons and last for one hour. An instructor may teach 1-5 classes a week for 1-5 hours total. It is only possible to schedule one one-hour class per day. We provide all the equipment, curricular materials, as well as training. Compensation is $40-$55 per one-hour class.
The chess instructors will perform the following duties:
- Arrive to the site 15 minutes before the stated class time
- Take attendance and communicate it to the school office
- Teach a lesson and supervise children during guided practice
- Perform an orderly and safe dismissal
- Communicate with our office regularly
The candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Must be available during after school hours on weekdays (2-5pm)
- Must have at least a basic knowledge of chess rules (how the pieces move, castling, pawn promotion). More advanced knowledge of chess is preferred.
- Teaching experience (not necessarily chess) or experience working with groups of children (as a camp counselor, etc).
- Have a working vehicle
- Have a cell phone
- Ability to check emails at least twice daily
- Have a clean criminal background check (verified via FBI)
- Ability to commit at least through mid-December (longer-term commitment is preferred)