Chess Scholars was founded in 2001 and currently works with over 4,000 students through over 250 schools. The students are mostly between the ages of 5 and 10 (grades K-5), and many of them are beginners.
Most classes will start in January. The classes are offered once a week and start around 2:00, 2:30pm, 3:00pm, or 3:30pm on weekday afternoons and last for one hour. An instructor may teach 1-5 classes a week for 1-5 hours total. It is only possible to schedule one one-hour class per day. We provide all the equipment, curricular materials, as well as training. Compensation is $40-$55 per one-hour class.
The chess instructors will perform the following duties:
- Arrive to the site 15 minutes before the stated class time
- Take attendance and communicate it to the school office
- Teach a lesson and supervise children during guided practice
- Perform an orderly and safe dismissal
- Communicate with our office regularly
The candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Must be available during after school hours on weekdays (2-5pm)
- Must have at least a basic knowledge of chess rules (how the pieces move, castling, pawn promotion). More advanced knowledge of chess is preferred.
- Teaching experience (not necessarily chess) or experience working with groups of children (as a camp counselor, etc).
- Have a working vehicle
- Have a cell phone
- Ability to check emails at least twice daily
- Have a clean criminal background check (verified via FBI)
- Ability to commit at least through March (longer-term commitment is preferred)