Chesterfield County Employee Reviews

Great Experiences
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield County, VAFebruary 15, 2018
Great opportunity for those who are looking to become teachers to gain experience. The staff at each school I worked in was welcoming and helpful. Overall a great experience.
Great Benefits
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VA 23832February 15, 2018
Great job to have for experience, benefits and the clients are fun to work with. Very fast paced and stressful job due to high turnover rate and poor management.
Pros
not enough help and support
Cons
over worked and expecting to much from one staff
Good workers not promoted
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield County, VAFebruary 6, 2018
Nice updated office. Lots of opportunity to attend classes if you desire. Learned a lot. Wish the really good workers could be promoted. Upper management good stand to work a little harder. Good benefits! Lots of holidays.
Pros
beneifts
Cons
discriminates against certain lifestyles
Stressful
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJanuary 24, 2018
Chesterfield is a stressful place to work. Management expected you to work all the time for little pay. You can get called into work at any time. Management lacks the skills it needs. They take forever or never make a executive decision that needs to be made.
Pros
Some slack days
Cons
Can work up to 24+ hours straight
Outstanding
ENV Coordinator/Sr. Technician (Current Employee) –  Department of General ServicesOctober 17, 2017
Wonderful place to work, easy access from my home. Great people to work with. The supervisors are compassionate and they afford you to train to self-develop.
Pros
Longevity
Cons
Salary
Overall Chesterfield County Schools is a good company to work for.
Special Needs Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VirginiaAugust 13, 2017
Overall Chesterfield County Schools is a good company to work for. Especially if you are not a single parent. I enjoy transporting the children to and from school.
Pros
Being off during the summer.
Cons
Having to get up early.
Fun workplace
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAApril 19, 2017
What makes my job fun is working with my individuals and getting to know each one of them on a one to one basics. Dealing with so many different personalities.
Pros
free movies
Cons
no lunch breaks, not enough staff, not enough pay for the job
Great locale
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VANovember 6, 2016
You're given the opportunity to grow and move up or out, you learn basic and advanced skills that translate into any other job.
helping others, part of a 4 year study, learning experience
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, SCOctober 4, 2016
Gained valuable experience, database of 589 families, gained valuable phone skills, and lots of office experience.A typical day was spent multi-tasking, and determining priorities on an hourly basis.
Pros
Experience
Cons
n/a
You never know what you are going to deal with everyday
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VASeptember 29, 2016
Patrols a designated area of the county to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of a crime, and to enforce traffic and parking regulations
•Investigates crimes, searches for and preserves evidence, questions suspects, and witnesses, checks pawn shops, maintains surveillance over persons and places suspected of vice operations
•Serves warrants and subpoenas, transports prisoners and assists in booking and jailing prisoners; appears in court
•Writes reports, reads bulletins, reports, orders and implements indicated changes as appropriate. Testify in Court as required
Great County to work for
Assistant Fire Marshal (Former Employee) –  Fire DepartmentAugust 20, 2016
Obtained great experience, co-workers great flex schedule, team oriented group the County is a good place to work for.
Pros
Flex Schedule
great Career oppurtunity
Information Specialist/ Translator (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAFebruary 24, 2016
As long as you are doing what you love, and or do not expect any type of advancement with out changing jobs completely. There is little to no chance of advancement.
Decent job
Katrina Disaster Clean Up Crew Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJanuary 22, 2016
Decent pay for the work expected of us. The county responded quickly, was organized, and supplied us with the resources necessary to do our job.
A career to growth from
Assistant Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VANovember 10, 2015
Good place to work while still attending school. Learned a lot from management. Enjoyed helping clients with goals and projects. Would definitely apply again.
Pros
Great hours, nice co-workers, etc.
Cons
Budget cuts, etc.
n/a
Mental Health Support Care Services (Current Employee) –  pampas ChesterfieldAugust 9, 2015
I'm comfortable with my supervisor and coworkers. This company is a company that have job security and I learned about the characteristic of people that working with me and if I don't understand something they ready to assist and we are good coworker and family with our individual consumer.
Wonderful supportive environment!
Senior Library Assistant. (Former Employee) –  Enon/Ettrick-MataocaJuly 13, 2015
For the most part, Chesterfield County Public Library is a wonderful place to work. My problem was the pay and part-time hours associated with my position.

They are very customer oriented and unlike many places I have worked for, the customer service began internally which made workers even more customer service oriented.

I recommend this place to anyone who is thinking of a career in the information services field because they will not only be supportive but will give you a wonderful view of what top quality customer service is all about.
Pros
Friendly, supportive, fast paced.
Cons
Low pay and limited hours for para-professionals.
Very rewarding helping families
Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, vaJuly 4, 2015
Supervision of staff. Empowering staff. Great staff to work with very talented and they cared for the families they served. Documentation was a bit excessive. I enjoyed seeing families get the help they needed.
Pros
helping families
Cons
management
It was okay but could have been a lot better
emergency communications officer (Former Employee) –  CHESTERFIELD COUNTYJuly 1, 2015
I worked for them for a short time and in that short time I was very miserable. The people in the communications center were like they were in a cult, like they were trained to say certain things and when something came up it was like they talked with their eyes. NOTHING WAS CONFIDENTIAL, if you talked to a supervisor EVERYONE knew about it. The pay was good but the atmosphere was horrible. It could a great place to work but they make people not want to work there. They are very short in staff and will work you to death by coming in early or staying late. I wouldn't recommend this job to no one.
Pros
pay
Cons
people, managemet and schedule
New Employee
Parks and Recreation Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJune 16, 2015
I am a new employee but my experience so far has been great. Chesterfield County is a great place for growth and job advancement.
Pros
Great opportunity for advancement
Cons
have to work your way up
Productive workplace with an emphasis on customer service
Planner (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAFebruary 10, 2015
A typical work week is 8:30AM to 5:00PM Monday through Friday. A typical day starts off with answering numerous emails and voice mails from customers asking questions about their specific case (subdivision plat review) or general questions about land use regulations. The rest of the day would consist of working on cases assigned to me, attending meetings with customers, and going out in the field to perform site inspections.

The most difficult part of the job is balancing personal opinions and thoughts with keeping a strict adherence to the county code of ordinances. It was also difficult to balance what management tells you to do with what the ordinance says should be done and what you personally think is the right thing to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people get their personal projects through the process and watching them go from paper to a built product. This ranges from someone building a deck to someone splitting a piece of property to their children to an entire neighborhood going from a wooded tract of land to a beautiful community.
Pros
Benefits, Amount of holidays, Amount of leave given to employees
Cons
Consistency in answers given by upper management, low salary, difficult to move up