Chestnut Health Systems

Chestnut Health Systems Employer Reviews

A good place to work with good people, for people.
Assistant Web and Communications Manager (Former Employee), Bloomington, ILJune 9, 2014
Pros: positive staff, hardworking dedicated professionals
Cons: lack of clear leadership
A typical day at work was a positive experience. Some of the most dedicated staff I've encountered professionally. Many people made a lot of sacrifices personally and professionally to dedicate themselves to their careers and it showed in their passion and efforts.

Unfortunately the leadership lacked clear vision and could not articulate a meaningful – more... mission. True leadership requires courage and sadly that was rarely demonstrated at the top levels.

Overall the experience was a positive one, I'd recommend others to work their especially if their interest is in public service. However I'd caution them that the work can be frustrating when it seems the organization is just going through the motions, trying to do what it's always done, instead of a progressive movement of going forward in changing times. – less
Productive and fun workplace
Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Maryville, ILJune 5, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no breaks
Overall, the co-workers are great and it's an enjoyable environment to work in. There is a lot of room to learn and grow .
productive, great experience
Volunteer (Former Employee), Normal, ILMay 16, 2014
flexible hours. Learned assessment and case planning, supervisor works closely with everyone and also helps out when needed. Co-workers are supportive. The hardest part is reaching the youth. The most enjoyable part is building a connection with the youth and able to relate to them and also them being able to trust you as a person.
Recovery
Housing Specialist (Current Employee), Madison, ILMarch 14, 2014
Chestnut Health Systems helps individuals who are recovering from substance abuse and who have severe mental illnesses.
Chestnut is a great place to work for personal fullfillment in helping others.
Receptionist (Current Employee), Bloomington, ILNovember 1, 2013
I enjoy working for Chestnut because I know that I help make a difference in some peoples lives. The only downside would be that due to it being a non-profit agency, the pay is not that great.
Good people for a good cause
Coalition Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Maryville, ILJuly 31, 2013
Every one is a good person willing to help each other out. A great team environment with significant time traveling to locations to meet with people and groups.
This was a great job.
Residential Detox Counselor (Former Employee), Bloomington, ILJuly 3, 2013
This was a great experience for me. This was my first professional job and I learned a lot. The agency was client focused and had high standards. I learned from the best in the field.
Service/Client focused Agency
Residential Counselor/ Assistant Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Bloomington, ILApril 3, 2013
Pros: department flexibility. i was allowed to work and attend undergraduate school.
Cons: wages were not competitive.
Chestnut Health Systems was my first experience in working with Youth. I was provided with the skills to engage resistant client's, substance abuse counseling, and facilitate support groups.
CHS review
Housing Specialist (Current Employee), Granite City, ILJanuary 30, 2013
* Difficult to advance
* Lots of paperwork
*unreasonable expectations (paperwork)
* Not much appreciation from supervisors
Caring client-centered environment.
Addiction Therapist (Current Employee), Bloomington, ILJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: good insurance plan.
Cons: low salary range.
I enjoy working one-on-one with clients during intake assessments for substance abuse treatment. I also have the opportunity to work with clients in the field while assisting them in accessing community services and provide emotional support. The company motto supports the idea of doing all that I can to make a difference in individual lives. Although – more... my co-workers have various jobs we all work together as a team to provide excellent service to the clients. The thing I enjoy most about my job is the flexibility job duties. Every day is not the same. – less
Lack of ability to for vertical movement
Clinician 1 (Former Employee), Maryville, ILNovember 26, 2012
Poor support for its employees, promotes going back to school, but then they do not reward with higher positions in the company once degree is completed.
Fun place to work.
Housing Specialist (Former Employee), Fairview Heights, ILNovember 17, 2012
I loved working at CHS. Excellent benfits package. Not much room for advancement.
Great Company, Not alot of you time
Housing Specialist (Current Employee), Pontoon Beach, ILNovember 5, 2012
I love my job. My hours aren't great and I only get 2 days off for an entire year.
Experience builder
an employee (Current Employee), Maryville, ILAugust 9, 2012
Pros: training
Cons: pay, benefits, advancement
Good company for building a resume, but not for pay, benefits or a career. High employee turnover, after nearly four years was denied a full time position and felt unmotivated and unvalued.
Avoid the GAIN Coordinating Center
Data Management Associate (Former Employee), Normal, ILAugust 7, 2012
Pros: flexible with time off
Cons: horrble pay, incompetent management, no advancement opportunities, little job security
This place of employment offers deplorable pay for the educational requirements, offers no advancement opportunities, and has people of low moral character in management roles. Furthermore, the whole GCC is probably going under soon anyway. They have already had one major round of layoffs in June 2012. Very clique-ish work environment where people will – more... literally go out of their way to avoid saying hello to you in the hallway if you are "beneath" them. – less
It was a great place to start
PC Technician (Former Employee), Bloomington, ILJune 25, 2012
Pros: med sized company, friendly environment, good insurance
Cons: not-for-profit... low salary
This is a not-for-profit so the pay wasn't that great. It was a great learning experience. I left because of management and salary
Worked there when I first came to the state
PRN -Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee), Granite City, ILJune 10, 2012
Pros: they had a flexible work schedule
Cons: people on many different locations you might not see them
I did PRN there on the mental Health side and the the drug and alcohol side. I worked I left for a full time job
Policies
R.N., STAFF NURSE- CRISIS RESIDENTIAL UNIT (Former Employee), CRISIS RESIDENTIAL UNITMarch 19, 2012
Pros: free coffee
Cons: lack of true professionalism, backbiting
No clear-cut policies there-rely on 'word of mouth'. Very unprofessional. Do not follow chain-of-command. Poor orientation of staff, then blame staff for their lack of knowledge.
Agency improving the lives of the mentally ill
Outpatient Mental Health Counselor/Intern (Former Employee), Granite City, ILMarch 19, 2012
Pros: great professionalism
Cons: the agency structure has changed since then
At the time I worked for this agency, I worked in the Outpatient Counseling team which was an excellent group of professionals.
Not a place I would work again.
Case Manager (Former Employee), Southern regionOctober 6, 2013
Pros: great vacation time.
Cons: poor and non-qualified management. unethical practices. low pay. not concerned with consumers lives, only keeping them happy for their own financial gain.
Poor supervision from people that claim high values, but are only concerned with their own financial advancement. Low pay for the work that is expected of the employees.