Chestnut Health Systems Employee Reviews

Would have given it zero stars if possible
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Maryville, ILDecember 4, 2016
Worst place to work ever. High turnover should have been a red flag from the start. Management is horrible and the pay is a joke. only redeeming thing about working there was the coworkers.
good work
Clinician III (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILAugust 23, 2016
This is a good place to work, though the pay in below poverty level for master's level work. I had a great supervisor, which made the job a positive experience.
Cons
poor pay
If You Want to Help People----This is a Good Place to Be
Crisis (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILNovember 22, 2015
We all come from different walks, but when someone applies for the kinds of jobs they have at Chestnut, I think that most are hoping to help people. Chestnut is a good place to do that. Most staff I have met genuinely care about clients. They are open to new ideas, and seek feedback. The recovery focus is very progressive--a major plus---also the training you get when beginning in Crisis Intervention, Motivational Enhancement, and the like is very helpful.. Advancement can be intimidating, though I wouldn't say it is impossible. Chestnut is huge and there are always jobs available somewhere! There is also some bureaucracy, but that is to be expected at any program receiving DMH/DASA funding.....for its size the agency is certainly less bureaucratic than it could. Chestnut is a great place to start out, and not a bad place to stay either.
Pros
Training, Helping People, Cool Staff
Cons
Bureaucracy
Management micro manages and does not appreciate the employees
Clinician II (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 30, 2015
Not a good place for advancement... Management not very open with their employees about changes that they are planning. Jobs terminated or changed and employees were given a two week notice. Problems with your performance were only addressed at the yearly evaluation.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not always good or good for you
Avoid the GAIN Coordinating Center
Data Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILAugust 7, 2012
This place of employment offers deplorable pay for the educational requirements, offers no advancement opportunities, and has people of low moral character in management roles. Furthermore, the whole GCC is probably going under soon anyway. They have already had one major round of layoffs in June 2012. Very clique-ish work environment where people will literally go out of their way to avoid saying hello to you in the hallway if you are "beneath" them.
Pros
flexible with time off
Cons
horrble pay, incompetent management, no advancement opportunities, little job security
very detailed when it comes to getting your job done right.
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJuly 14, 2015
It was a outstanding work place. very fast paste and your job must be done right.
* I learned a lot working for this company, buffing and waxing floors, routine cleaning.
*management didn't play when it came to getting your job done right .
*co-workers where very fun and friendly
*waxing and buffing floors
*lunch break and meeting all the new clients and staff
Caring client-centered environment.
Addiction Therapist (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 3, 2013
I enjoy working one-on-one with clients during intake assessments for substance abuse treatment. I also have the opportunity to work with clients in the field while assisting them in accessing community services and provide emotional support. The company motto supports the idea of doing all that I can to make a difference in individual lives. Although my co-workers have various jobs we all work together as a team to provide excellent service to the clients. The thing I enjoy most about my job is the flexibility job duties. Every day is not the same.
Pros
good insurance plan.
Cons
low salary range.
Experience builder
an employee (Current Employee) –  Maryville, ILAugust 9, 2012
Good company for building a resume, but not for pay, benefits or a career. High employee turnover, after nearly four years was denied a full time position and felt unmotivated and unvalued.
Pros
training
Cons
pay, benefits, advancement
It was a great place to start
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 25, 2012
This is a not-for-profit so the pay wasn't that great. It was a great learning experience. I left because of management and salary
Pros
med sized company, friendly environment, good insurance
Cons
not-for-profit... low salary
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILAugust 4, 2014
It is a good place to work! The people are friendly and it is a professional environment with room for advancement.
Pros
Good people and management
Cons
Pay is low
Love it
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 14, 2014
I Love working for Chestnut. Great benefits and great upper management.
Service/Client focused Agency
Residential Counselor/ Assistant Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 3, 2013
Chestnut Health Systems was my first experience in working with Youth. I was provided with the skills to engage resistant client's, substance abuse counseling, and facilitate support groups.
Pros
department flexibility. i was allowed to work and attend undergraduate school.
Cons
wages were not competitive.
Fun place to work.
Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILNovember 17, 2012
I loved working at CHS. Excellent benfits package. Not much room for advancement.
productive, great experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 16, 2014
flexible hours. Learned assessment and case planning, supervisor works closely with everyone and also helps out when needed. Co-workers are supportive. The hardest part is reaching the youth. The most enjoyable part is building a connection with the youth and able to relate to them and also them being able to trust you as a person.
Policies
R.N., STAFF NURSE- CRISIS RESIDENTIAL UNIT (Former Employee) –  CRISIS RESIDENTIAL UNITMarch 19, 2012
No clear-cut policies there-rely on 'word of mouth'. Very unprofessional. Do not follow chain-of-command. Poor orientation of staff, then blame staff for their lack of knowledge.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
lack of true professionalism, backbiting
This was a great job.
Residential Detox Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJuly 3, 2013
This was a great experience for me. This was my first professional job and I learned a lot. The agency was client focused and had high standards. I learned from the best in the field.
Chestnut is a great place to work for personal fullfillment in helping others.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 1, 2013
I enjoy working for Chestnut because I know that I help make a difference in some peoples lives. The only downside would be that due to it being a non-profit agency, the pay is not that great.
Agency improving the lives of the mentally ill
Outpatient Mental Health Counselor/Intern (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 19, 2012
At the time I worked for this agency, I worked in the Outpatient Counseling team which was an excellent group of professionals.
Pros
great professionalism
Cons
the agency structure has changed since then
Worked there when I first came to the state
PRN -Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJune 10, 2012
I did PRN there on the mental Health side and the the drug and alcohol side. I worked I left for a full time job
Pros
they had a flexible work schedule
Cons
people on many different locations you might not see them
Lack of ability to for vertical movement
Clinician 1 (Former Employee) –  Maryville, ILNovember 26, 2012
Poor support for its employees, promotes going back to school, but then they do not reward with higher positions in the company once degree is completed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chestnut Health Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7