Chicago Bridge & Iron Company

Chicago Bridge & Iron Company Employee Reviews

Annual work slowdown. Company unable to secure contracts. Use of new "kids" out of school instead of experienced.
Eng/Sci. III (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 22, 2015
I come from a string of many buyouts. The inability of the company to continually not win contracts has put them in a situation where they focus on releasing the "over 50" experienced employees and use new-hires in the field. Some of the new-hires I have trained in the field for logging don't know "silt" from clay. I have been asked to
"show him what a silt is" (so that he could log the next hole). QC of (some) work in the office is rather lax; and suffers from a rush to get reports out. I have reported serious mapping problems to two of my supervisors (who are still with CB&I). Their response: "Let's let it go and see if the Water Board catches it this time around"--then we can
deal with it. I have been with the company 16 years; the mid-managers do not change; nor do their poor management skills. I was
released after I "took one for the company" on an outof state job. The injury was not reported by the company, but they went on to accept the coveted safety Green Cross safety award. Me? I paid $5,000 out of my pocket, showed I was a "trooper", kept my mouth shut, and was laid-off. After 16 years, I was given 2 weeks severance. Mid-management does nothing to find work for you. For most of the last several years, finding (any) work was up to me; to the point of personally havingto pass-on my resume to other parts of the company (other in-state and out-of-state projects), just to find work.
The many over-50 year olds that have been released, and I, all have one thing in common: A great sense of releaf that we are finally out of there! (You are now forwarned).
CB&I, Lake Charles is a joke...
QC Supervisor (Former Employee) –  CB&I, Lake CharlesAugust 12, 2014
Cut-throat, back-stabbing, "think they are better than everyone else", do what they want facility.

When I first start with the company, there was a "chilled work environment" dubbed by the NRC. I can agree that they have worked through that status, but now they foster a culture where people can fabricate stories and as long as two people stick together and tell the same lies, the story is now factual.

The facility is far from being a family oriented, "care about your employees well-being" company. They are shady and will do all they have to do, including firing their best people and keep the corrupt "yes-men" there to meet their UNREALISTIC schedules they promise clients.

There are a lot of good people employed at CB&I, Lake Charles, but there are just as many crooked people there that will drive the place into the ground.

Management has changed and it is getting better, but until you flush out the wicked, you will never have a successful team.
Pros
great pay
Cons
horrible management
BAD EXPERIENCE FOR EMPLOYEE WITH +5 YEARS SERVICE
tank & pressure vessel welder (Former Employee) –  field constructionJanuary 12, 2015
I worked field & shop with CB&I in the 80's & 90's. I contacted them recently about field work, scheduled a weld test, & quit a job I had 5 years.BIG MISTAKE.
The most incompetent and dishonest managers & supervisors I have ever dealt with or worked for.
Do not expect the weld test to go as scheduled, to be paid when expected, or receive the pay rate expected when you pass evey test.
Do not expect long term employment since it is likely you will be sent to work with a foreman that has a company wide reputation of firing a new employee every few weeks.
I had +5 years of service with this company. I'm now unemployed. I made it 3 weeks so don't say you haven't been forewarned. Wish I had been
Pros
can't think of one
Cons
management & supervision
Great place to work if you are in a click.
senior designer (Former Employee) –  CharlotteOctober 14, 2015
Feels like you are back in high school. Mid level management are incompetent at best. They watch out for their buddies and ability has nothing to do with it. Senior level at CB&I only means you have been around a long time. It doesn't mean you know anything and the mid level management treats you as entry level. You are to do as told and not make any recommendations based on your years of experience. If you express your concerns about a problem you will be put on someones ship list. When you receive your notice don't be surprised if it is through an email one month prior to being fully vested.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Lack of mid level management and upper level management being blind to it.
Sweat shop, worse job ever, do not waste your time.
Combo Welder thats not scared to tell the truth. (Former Employee) –  Fab Shop in Beaumont, TX. (Island Park,)January 5, 2015
Management are a bunch of clicked up good ol boys that are ignorant. The place is a beyond terrible. I watched them fire 12 good welders in three weeks for minor issues that should have gotten a verbal warning at the most. Everyone there except management is scared they could lose their job any day. Supervisor is a loud mouth bully that treats good people like trash if you don't bow down to him he treats you like trash. A total lack of respect for other human beings.
Pros
the paycheck cashed.
Cons
lieing to hire people. constant mistakes on paycheck. broken equipment. 100% unstable job.
Formal corporate accounting environment.
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAAugust 12, 2013
In a typical month, the close consumes the first four days with journal entries and account analysis. Then the focus becomes cash forecasting and communication of results. By mid month, the focus is on G/L account analysis and reconciliations. On a daily basis, there is research and application of cash receipts and daily cash communications.

With many changes to a growing company, there are ample opportunities to learn when working side by side with the controllers.
Pros
co-workers and nice work environment.
Cons
stability
A challenging yet fullfilling place to work
Project Controls - Cost Engineer (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, GAJune 14, 2015
With CB&I, I have found that the scope of work can be ever changing meaning new daily challenges. These changes keep things from becoming monotonous and thus making you more versatile. Also, CB&I allows you to move around within the company expanding your knowledge and allowing you to seek new avenues of advancement if you so choose. I would certainly recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
room to grow
Cons
difficult work
I worked both the shop and the field. The shop was ok. The field was horrible
welder (Former Employee) –  houstonFebruary 11, 2015
Its a reputation of CBI to have just white boys working in the field. I hate to us the race card but that's how it was.I would get to the job site and they would look at me stupid.One job they kept me for seven days never weld.They put me with the helpers.I've been a very good welder for 18+yrs. The lead superintendent will keep just white. messed up company to work for.
Pros
insurance as soon as you start
Cons
racist is how i see it.
Close to home.
Sr Pr. Eng. (Former Employee) –  BloomfieldJuly 18, 2015
Worked there over 40 years and was laid off without any warning on 6/17/15 .
This has destroyed my outlook on remaining ...

Provided numerous inputs for improvements to design which was not credited with but were adopted and followed, etc.
Pros
Dept. manager fleximble when I had to work irregular hours due to handicapped wife at home.
Cons
Splitiing work with other offices, Poor standards for them to follow., No credit or recognition for many extra hours.
Micromanagement all day everyday
accountant (Former Employee) –  the woodlands, txJune 5, 2015
If you enjoy working in a daycare as the toddler, then this is the place for you. If you love being overworked and underpaid, then this is the place for you. If you like snitching on others daily or brown nosing to get promoted, then again, this is the place for you. If any of the aforementioned statements does not apply to you, then don't apply to this company.
Pros
401K, paid vacation and 9/80 schedule
Cons
everything else.
Process Department in Houston is disfunction. Only allowed one voice be heard.
SENIOR PROCESS ENGINEER III (Former Employee) –  HoustonFebruary 27, 2015
Newly Engineers in Houston Offices keep leaving CB&I for other opportunities. Any one if does not agree with the boss, they will be let go or he/she will be given the job that is impossible for he/she to do in a given period time frame.
Pros
don't have to work hard
Cons
engineering design work takes much longer time than project schedule
Worst place I ever worked
clerical (Former Employee) –  Walker, LANovember 25, 2015
There was nothing enjoyable about working here. It was horrible. The management had nothing to say to you unless you were doing something wrong and they hire management that has never worked in piping before. I will NEVER work here again. Take my advice and do not apply for a job here.
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
management, pay, lack of proper training
Great place to Work.
Computer Asset Management and Hardware Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, GAJune 1, 2015
Customer call service center with remote access to clients.
Great management and thorough training and weekly meetings for progressive tracking of goals.
User from all over the globe assemble for one goal.
Pros
Local destination
Cons
None mentionable
It is a good company to work for.
Supervisor, Facilities Mailroom Manager (Current Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJuly 14, 2014
I enjoy working for CB&I. I love the people that I work with and for.
They are kind and caring people. I enjoy working with venders. Keeping and ordering mail and office supplies stocked.
Pros
meeting people from all around the world.
Cons
the location closing.
rigging dept
overhead crane operator/ rigger (Former Employee) –  big lake hwy. lake charles, LAJune 25, 2014
The rigging dept.at this location Is a joke, management is also a joke.... if your not a relative of family you have no hope in advancment, and remember ur only a number, no one really cares..
Pros
free popsicle' s from saftey on break's during summer time
Cons
short breaks, poor managment
Has really gone down hill... Long term employee 10+ years.
Crane and Rigging (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCJanuary 19, 2015
Most recent employment is at VC Summer.. Management is a complete joke, payroll is incompetent. Rules are ever changing and always to managements benefit.
Pros
check still clears.. decent money.
Cons
terminal stupidity is rampant.
HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK DO NOT APPLY HERE
Payroll (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJuly 22, 2014
They are moving all positions to Texas in Sept. Do not apply. You wont have a job unless you want to move.

Managers sucked. Co workers were mean and out to get everone. I guess what goes around comes around because everyone is losing their job.
Incompetent Upper Management
Corrective Action Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJanuary 6, 2015
The LC facility has incompetent upper management, including Human Resources. They embrace production over safety culture and have a history of retaliation against those who raise safety concerns.
Soldador
Soldador, refineria de esmeraldas (Former Employee) –  NVJuly 22, 2015
high knowledge acquired in welding processes and procedures work under pressure, scicologica organisativa staff capacity under the philosophy of the company.
Pros
good staff treatment
Cons
duty cycle
Industrial Mechanic Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMay 28, 2015
Very safety oriented and clean. Cant beat the 4-10's schedule either. Everyone seems to get along well. As far as I can tell everything gets done the right way, which is rare in this industry.