Chicago Bridge & Iron Company Employee Reviews

great place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Hackberry, LAMarch 24, 2017
Awesome people and awesome job!!! I have met alot of great people and i have learned how to operate alot of different types of machinery and learned how important safety is.
billiard table tennis t.v room basketball court video games and more
junior piping leadman (Former Employee) –  cabinda angola south africaMarch 10, 2017
this company is good
they provide everything to the worker.
that's why people are happy and it return back to company what they want.and people helping company goal and success.
Pros
all food is free including soft drinks
Cons
health care and tea break
Learning experience
Pipefitter Helper (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXMarch 3, 2017
Always moving, always learning, very fast pace. Learn how to use all sorts of tools, such as chainfalls, comealongs, chokers, wrenches, grinders, matalvo disk. Bull rigging, learned to rig pipe. I loved every second of that job, looking for another job such as that one.
Pros
Lunch time paid
Cons
Pretty good place to work
Pipefitter Helper (Former Employee) –  Belle Chasse, LAFebruary 2, 2017
Formen are cool saftey is a pain in the behind. Overall a good place to work. I was going from installing pvc fire water pipe underground to 50ft in a rack pulling pipe. There is a fair amount of variety to work with on the job as far as projects to do.
Pros
Healthcare
Lots of scaffols
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Koch refinery Rosemount mnJanuary 21, 2017
I did scaffold and concrete work. Lots of weird smells at the refinery and lots of safety hazards to worry about. Overall it was a decent place and would work there again.
Lack of knowledge up top
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 19, 2017
Top Management lacks commonsense. Site upper management lack experience, and to much ego to respect their subordinates advice and discuss situations, they just terminate. Safety is not a value, it is a job, and that is why, there has been many fatalities on CBI job sites in less than 8 months. This is not a family friendly company, in actual discussion a director stated the day after a fatality, " it is a normal day at work and we need to show that it has no affect on our operations." Ironically, that same day an executive sustained a recordable. Is that family friendly? The business ethics are the worst I have ever encountered, and the company does not trust their employees, you will struggle with benefits and allowances from day 1 past your last day of employment.
Pros
Coffee and big break shack
Cons
Big break shack is over crowded and is filthy.
Decent job great opportunity to advance
Ironworker / rigger (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCJanuary 19, 2017
a good company to work forFocus on the company and your individual experience while employed there
Provide details about why you liked or disliked working at the company
Ensure any facts you include in your review are true and accurate
Pros
a lot of opportunity for overtime
Cons
Na
excellent work conditions
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 17, 2017
My day consisted of support for the maintenance employees I worked in an office but loved to go out in the factory and work hands on with electricians
Pros
escellent pay
I enjoyed team work and safety benefits
Carpenter and Concrete finisher (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCJanuary 17, 2017
I learned to corporate with others. I liked my co-workers. What I enjoyed most was that everyone had a positive attitude and we all worked together.
Pros
Safety, and dependable help
Cons
Fast movement
Driven fast pace enviroment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 17, 2017
I have learned a great deal working for CB&I. The co-workers create a great work environment. I do love the different challenges that present on a day to day basis.
Still a Better Love Story than Fluor Corps.
Construction Technician II (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCJanuary 8, 2017
Even though it was short lived, Chicago Bridge and Iron will still be somewhat better than Fluor. Primarily for the plain and simple reason that on occasion CB&I didn't hire foolish managers; although a few slipped through the cracks.

Either way the construction world will always be a who you know instead of based on your skill set.
I didn't like it...
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hackberry, LADecember 25, 2016
CB&I may be a decent company to work for, but I did not enjoy my experience working for them on their CCJV Hackberry, La project. I spent
more time working than at home, and the pay was not worth the time, especially since they don't pay laborers per diem, no matter how far youre traveling.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
Inexperienced managers & supervisors
like to work have kids and bill
Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 21, 2016
I always get my task done.i leaned to work with others and communicate withmy co-workers.the hardest part is getting through the daythe most important part of the day is goin home to my family.
Pros
saltgrass
Cons
i like the 15 min.and 30 min
Go no where unless you are in the click
Fotter (Former Employee) –  Delcambre, LANovember 30, 2016
If you are not part of the gis crew you go nowhere except out the door. Safety is really good there but pay and upper managment needs to be delta with
Benefits
Awesome Company!
Domestic Mobility Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2016
I loved my job with CB&I and had I not have been sequestered by Westinghouse I would most likely still be employed with them. I have to admit that I expected to be in this department at this company for a very long time.
Great work environment real family oriented company
Craftsman (Former Employee) –  Threw out USSeptember 27, 2016
With all the years at CB&I i had a great time i enjoyed the people i worked with and the company as a whole i got to travel and see part of the country i would of never seen i hated leaving but at the time it was what i needed to do for my family
Pros
Made great money learned alot
Cons
Away from home alot
great work experience
Pipefitter Helper (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXAugust 2, 2016
Hard work, awesome money, comradary, and a great place to learn any structural skill set. The cons about this job is that you have to be away from your family, but you are always able to provide. Not to mention that they have benefits.
I've never been treated so badly on any job, ever
Operator (Former Employee) –  Hackberry, LAJuly 25, 2016
Management gets their jobs because they know someone not because they are qualified because 90% of them definitely are not. They care nothing of safety. 30-40 people a day fall out from the heat and a few have died but still no cool down tents with 115 degree heat index. I've never been treated so poorly or had a company completely disregard human life the way these people do. I'll never work for them again.
Pros
None.
Cons
Horrible management, no organization, pay check hasn't been correct in 3 months, bad people in general
They suck HR and all are worthless
Operator (Former Employee) –  Hackberry, LAJune 16, 2016
No one in any office answers the phones and u leave messages and no response for weeks these people they could care less if u eat or die
Cons
Gossip is: Company is bottom of barrel
Operator (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXJune 7, 2016
Very long hiring process working with incompetent office.
Best part about jobsite: coworkers
Worst part about jobsite: procedures not taken seriously, too many Helpers and not enough Journeymen
Pros
Availability of equipment needed, quiet time, no radios
Cons
No certified riggers, rarely proper signaler or flagger, payroll severely incompetent, office severely incompetent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Bridge & Iron Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7