Chicago Bridge & Iron Employee Reviews in United States

I learned a lot I was with CDI from a few years after I graduated till 2007
Welder and Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2016
In the first few years I had a lot of training on doing construction
of vessels such as water tanks, steel building and later nuclear
projects. I traveled and worked all over the United States. I was a
pusher, a welder, and in later year a superintendent. I had great co-
workers some who were family. I meet a lot of wonderful people
and their families and we worked and traveled together for years.
The hardest part of the job was so much traveling. The most
enjoyable was working with some very intelligent people and
learning. CBI provided continuous training and there was opportunity
for advancement.
Pros
good pay, benefits and advancement
Cons
Working in hard conditions snow, hot, cold, wet and the work was very dangerous.
1St technical design job!
ELECTRICAL DESIGN TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCMarch 22, 2016
Great experience, everyone was friendly and helpful. I learned a lot and they educated me on things that I needed to know for real world work experience. My lead electrical engineer manager was the best manager I had at eny previous job I worked. He cared about his employees. I recommend this company for anyone looking to get into the nuclear/fossil industry. And the start out salary with me being entry-level was higher than anywhere else!!!
Pros
SALARY, WORK ENVIORMENT, CONTINUING EDUCATION-ON-THE-JOB, SAFETY
Cons
SLOW PRODUCTIVITY, REPETITIVE
Good Company & Benefits, Management Needs Work
Procedure & Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCApril 21, 2015
The company seems to take pretty good care of employees, however managers are complacent. Once you are hired, they do not do much to help you progress or learn anything new. If they do promote you work-wise you most likely won't see an increase in pay, at least for a long time. Another thing management needs to work on is utilizing people to their fullest extent. Often a few employees will be overwhelmed with work, while there are other employees with little to do, and the ability, skills and knowlege to help with others, but management does not allow it, or seek additional help when needed.

Some managers are certainly better than others, but overall, this is my general feeling.
Pros
Schedule, Benefits (401k matching, health, dental and vision, employee stock purchase plan, paid holidays, paid vactaion, paid sick leave)
Cons
Management does not grow employees, no distribution of work
Safety
Safety Advisor/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hackberry, LAMay 15, 2016
At the begin of every task/day, we would hold tailgate or job safety meetings, to ensure the employees are alert and ready for the day. Ask them questions get them involved. We would review there JSA or JSEA and make sure everybody has signed and understood the job scope of the day. The company is great too work for, great employees, great staff, great leaders.
Pros
Rewards for # of man hours completed
Great Learning Experience!
Procurement Intern (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, GAJanuary 21, 2016
As an intern I learned a lot about inventory management, materials management, expediting, inventory databases, MRP, MSDS, project scheduling, project forecasting, and teamwork. The procurement staff welcomed me with arms wide open and were always willing to help me with any task or question I had. The end result of this was a great learning experience!
Pros
co-workers and work schedule
terrible workplace
xray tech. (Former Employee) –  Walker, LAApril 4, 2016
management does not manage anything, was not trained correctly for the first 3 months. company does not understand how to put the correct people in charge.
Great Place to work
higher than some, not management. (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, ILFebruary 1, 2016
Great place to work. Fell on hard times. Management is good. Very flexible and caring. Pay is good as any around. 9 and 8, flex friday. co-workers same as anywhere. job not hard. job was enjoyable because I like what I do.
Pros
nice people
Safe work culture
Boilermaker Welder (Former Employee) –  Barrow IslandJuly 20, 2015
Realistic work expectations. Knowledgeable driven supervision trust in employees to make right decision. Excellent compensation. long periods of time away from home.
Great Job
LDAR TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJune 6, 2016
Good job and pay.
Poor management bad communication and managements have there favorites.Easy job and great place to work not everybody there for you two-face another then that great job.
Pros
Give breaks.
Cons
Great benefits.
CB&I Great Company with room for Advancement
Project Accountant/Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZApril 20, 2016
This company provided me with great advancement opportunities, and a good salary. Started out as an Executive Assistant and worked my way up to Project Accountant in a short amount of time.

Want to know more about Chicago Bridge & Iron?

Ask a question
Flexible working environment
Process Safety & Fire Protection Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2016
Work processes stay current with new technologies.
Procedures adaptable to changing work environment.
Supports Toastmasters group to help improve employees.
Cb&who?
Puppet on a string (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 26, 2016
I have to give CB&I credit for a few things....one of being which, they are better than Westinghouse, as a manger of a nuclear plant, since Westinghouse purchased the nuclear division, it is apparent they are even more clueless than CB&I was, at least in my department.

Even though Westinghouse kept many of the clueless CB&I managers, the Westinghouse management seems to be worse.

Now for CB&I. In my department, they ran on intimidation, even though we were responsible for quality....bad idea guys.

After numerous complaints and case filings with external and internal dept.'s including external law suits, the manager (who was clueless on what we did for a living) was replaced. Wow! what a breath of fresh air, you would think....not here! The next manager came in, kept the same drones put in place by the previous manager, who also had no clue what we did for a living but, was buddy buddy with them and I guess he felt he could form them to his ideology (how pathetic). Anyway, the next manager arrives and is so disconnected with what is going on, he puts his faith in the two drones hired to manage the people, even though they are clueless on what the people do for a living and are technically incapable of connecting with the guys in the field (how sad). Then the manager or director as he is called, being so disconnected allows the drones to start to run the entire department, even though they have no experience in departmental business. The drones then start driving things that make no sense.....did I say this was for building nuclear plants? Now Westinghouse has
  more... assumed the management and seem to be OK with it.....even though most folks think it is way out of hand.  less
Pros
Pay is OK
Cons
Many...see the review
I enjoyed working with all my co-workers. Supervisors and managers and peers were all easy to get along with.
Facility Technician (Former Employee) –  Centennial, coOctober 6, 2015
I would come in and glance over all of my work orders for the day.
Check my priority list and any other new tasks at hand that may need to be completed quickly.
I would write out the work orders and email any to my supervisor and if any questions were necessary I would speak with facilities management.
Make rounds at the building, check boilers or temperatures on floors and rooms.
Maintain building indoors and out.
Help vendors and place bids.
Pros
Company picnics
Cons
na
Helpful group of people
Process Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 14, 2015
I had an enjoyable time with CB&I. The people were willing to work with you and management was helpful in making sure you know the information given.

Typically, my day consisted of calculations for equipment, pipe hydraulic calcs and line sizing, Heat and Material Balance calculations, and P&ID, PFD, UFD, MSD, MDD drawings for FEED and EPC projects. Also, doing calculations for PSV's. We also verified vendor drawings to match our P&ID's.

I have learned about different way to achieve the same solution, to work with others, and do research on the task. Being knowledgable about what you're working on this the best thing to do.
Pros
Helpful people working with you
CBI is a good company to work for.
HSE Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Marcus Hook, PAApril 12, 2016
CBI has a good safety culture and has been a good place to work. My manager is support and the entire team are make it enjoyable.
Location is terrible to work for
Vendor Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 10, 2016
It is only the location, You are unable to advance in the company, way too many chiefs, and the pay is horrible in comparison to our other locations.
funplace to work with.
Supervisor/Planner (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXJanuary 14, 2016
it a nice company to work for. a lot of work going on. learn a lot on my position of a planner and communicate a lot with your co-worker very friendly, working ethic, the good thing about every body working safe and to safety meeting and applying with they working on.
Pros
vendors brings alot of food
Cons
To many bosses to listen too.
Productive and very safety oriented
QA/QC Lead Welding Inspector (Current Employee) –  Beaumont TXFebruary 18, 2014
Great co-workers around I have worked with most of theses guys for years.Great safety team.No benefits or incentives for employees and low work hours.Most enjoyable part of job is just getting to come here and meet the guys that have become more like a family.Hardest part is descisions that management makes sometimes.Typical day at work involves lots of dimensional and weld inspections.I have learned more about fabrication and welding here than anywhere.I have recieve certifications and safety training for many things.
Pros
great group of guys
Cons
no benefits or incentives
Welder (Former Employee) –  Prairieville, LAFebruary 12, 2016
Good Work environment. A typical day at work was steady.I learned a lot and experienced a lot of things. My co workers was hardworking and easy to get along with.
Wasteful senior management and inadequate training
Machinist Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Laurens, SCFebruary 15, 2016
Since CB&I took over they have wasted millions of dollars on a company that was supposed to streamline and realign the functions of the plant. However after spending all that money, they virtually ignore the recommendations that were offered. Every company should have a viable safety plan, but CB&I has taken safety to the extreme, so much so that employees are more concerned about what they may be doing wrong, that they can't focus on their job...which is a safety hazard in itself. Since they wasted all that money and with a excessive number of supervisors and managers (too many chiefs), they are still unable to fabricate enough pipe to keep all the employees working thus they are laying off large numbers of employees and falsely assuring them it will only be 10 days, maybe two weeks and they will bring them back....I have been laid off for a month now and haven't heard a word. The lay off came from the most senior management. They still have no comprehensive training program, which again is a "safety" concern in my humble opinion. There are many qualified and talented individuals who have worked at this facility for years and they have become disillusioned with the path CB&I is taking, causing them to re-evaluate their position and they are giving serious consideration to finding more stable employment.
Pros
Great, dedicated employees!
Cons
Things that really are safety problems are not addressed such as, concrete floors are uneven and badly pitted, they have some machines that are at least 70 years old and are constantly being repaired, birds feces all ovelr machinery, pipe and tools, Not adequate ventilation to disburse the weding and pipe bending fumes (hazardous), No sick days, Machines are rarely calibrated to ensure proper function.