Chicago Housing Authority Employee Reviews

none stop work
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2016
Overall its a great place to work, the culture and management team is willing to help you improve in your current position. The work load is manageable but often over whelming.
Pros
Benifits, location, tuition reimburtment
Cons
little room to grow
This is a local State level job with good benefit but no room to grow
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2016
This is a local State level job with good benefit but no room to grow, also this is a State/City employer jobs and salaries are more or less based on the State/City budget
great enviroment wonderful co workers
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2017
planted and cut grass and flowers mop and swept floors laid down tiles dumped trash and painted apartments raked leaves moved furniture
Challenging work enviroment
Director, Relocation (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2016
The job encompassed everyone from the Mayor to the individual being relocation. A total "team" effort was required to make the Relocation process successful, which included collaboration with several other divisions.
Pros
The opportunity to work with local, state and federal officials
Cons
Frequent emergencies and night calls.
Excellent place to work
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 27, 2016
Was able to sharpen my social skills by interacting with the public, vendors and my management team. learned the in and outs of ordering supplies to keep the developement functioning in the proper manner.
Fun place to work at and very good people that are always willing to help
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2014
The environment is very relaxed, but also very serious. Everybody knows when it is appropriate to talk and when it is not.

A typical day is just coming in and looking over the documents and identifying what is missing or what needs to be updated. Co-workers might come to ask for assistance with a special project and I would help with that. The management is also very helpful and my supervisor is always there for me when I need her.

The hardest part of the job is just learning all of the terms and what the documents. mean. It is also very detail orientated. For example, I could be uploading a document and at the end find that the online statement is not balanced. A small error in uploading and typing in information could result in the numbers being off/not accurate.

On the other hand, the most enjoyably part of the job was just the people, the environment, and the work life balance.
Pros
Great work life balance, Can be rigid structure at times, Can get mundane or boring
Cons
Not much room for advancement
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Sr Portfolio Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2016
This is a great place to work and have a career at. Take your time and accept positions.... Salary is fair and worth relocating to. Large company.
great job
HQS Inspector (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2016
Chicago is just becoming a really ruff place to work and live with all the killing. Other than the daily risk this is a good job the pay is good and the work load is avarage
Very dangerous
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2016
Cleaning concrete hallways and balcony's.
Checking each floor for garbage.
Picking up outside the property.
Sweeping near and around the property.
Diposal of all garabage.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Worked for the city for 20 years in property management/ relocation services. Loved this joy. Left due to downsizing.
RESIDENT RELOCATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2015
Started this job as a Admin Asst. and worked my way up to Relocation Manager. Duties included property management/ relocation services. Obtained many certifications as part of the advancement process. Many meeting with city departments, Sec. 8 services, landlords, etc. Great JOB.
Excellent Place to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2016
Perfect starter job. I was assigned to work with different Journey men performing task that allowed me to have advance knowledge in maintenance.
CHA gave me a chance when I was searching for employment, always appreciated that, I later started working for CHAC with the Family Self Sufficiency
Housing Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Chicago IllinoisApril 9, 2012
A typical day at work was just like any company, you work to accomplish something. Being an inspector was great liked assisting into nice safe homes. although I like being and inspector, the Family Self Sufficiency program was the best because I actually helped people in their lives. I miss doing that.
I learned how to appreciate people of different cultures
Management was great, like anything needed some work
Co-workers were the best.
Most difficult part was leaving the company
My clients and co-workers was the enjoyable part of the job, every time I helped a client it was the best.
good place to work
Janitor/Grounds Keeper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 14, 2014
each day was both the same and different, you got to work both inside the buildings and outside, we maintained the grounds in all types of weather, we got to know all of the tenants, management was fair, health insurance was good along with our 401K plan, Chicago Housing Authority thought it would be cost efficient to privatized its maintenance workers, so all of us lost our jobs
Not an average corporate environment, every day you experience something new!
Asset Manager-Interim, Asset Management Department (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2013
The Chicago Housing Authority is not your average corporate America job. Every day you learn something new and you utilize all of your educational and on-the-job skill sets to enhance your life as an employee and the lives of our residents. The people that work for the CHA have a passion and have embraced the mission for betterment of the lives of the residents in which they/we serve. Everyday, we try and make a difference one life at time! The part of the job that is most challenging is dealing with the style and change of middle & upper management in the culture, environment, and direction of the organization. If you have never worked for a government agency in the Chicagoland area before and are not familiar with the brand of politics, it is very difficult to navigate through the different channels for career advancement which directly effects your daily job performance. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility, the exposure to new challenges daily, and the ability to service and see the rewards for the low or very low-income challenged population that requires our assistance, knowledge, and ability to serve them for survival. Making their communities safer by enriching the lives of the residents we service through programs, and rehabbed housing. It has made their lives much more enjoyable-just like living in communities with market rate real estate opportunities.
Pros
Pension, Assistance with Education Benefits, & Health, Vision, and Dental Benefits
Cons
Hold on raises, slim opportunities for career advancement(s)
Senior Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 3, 2016
Managers are not held accountable for training and developing their direct reports. The Senior Procurement Specialist are responsible for these duties as well as carrying a project workload, and make $20K less than managers.
Constantly evolving, fast paced work environment
Contract Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2013
The environment in which i work is a rapidly changing one. It is often very diffult for those whom are slower to keep up. I am a fast efficiently fast paced worker. I value the fact that my job allows for new knowledge and room for growth as far as the job knowledge is concerned. We have a really heavy case load depending on the season. Normally during the summer the moves rapidly increase, which in turn makes me work harder. One of my favorite quotes is "Success only comes before work in the dictionary." I live by that quote.
Pros
Excellent co-workers, the feeling of helping other, the accomplishment of knowing you have put a family in their new homes.
Cons
Almost impossible to climb the ladder-no room for growth.
Great place to work for quite diversities.
Maintenance Class A (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisAugust 29, 2013
A typical day at work is a full day of work orders for residential clients from water leaks to furnace problems. I learn to be a team player and leader, besides other necessary maintenance and preventive maintenances. Management is respectful, of the employees, all co-workers carry themselves professionally. The hardest part of the job but not impossible are the on call week, because I am on call for emergency maintenance for the residents after work for all hours after evening, late night and early morning for a week once a month. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the work done for the residents.
Pros
Great Management
Good experience with a credible Organization in the housing industry.
Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2012
Determines eligibility of voucher program participants for continuing participation;
interviews housing applicants; investigates and verifies applicant/participant/resident
information for accuracy and completeness; contacts applicants and participants to
discuss and clarify discrepancies;

• Prepares and conducts bi-annual re-evaluations; verifies any changes in household
composition and calculates family gross income to be inputted into computerized
records systems – Yardi.
Pros
purposeful, large organization, helping others
Cons
lack of professionalism, micro-managed
Very diverse environment. Good position for pensioners
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 14, 2014
Great team, caring managers, many holidays. The hours required to stay in the office is a bit longer than other places I've been.
Pros
Stable job
Cons
No raise in three years
Delightful place to work
Operating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2012
Challenging and informative, everyday was a new challenge and the advancement was what you put in.
benefits
Cons
gangs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Housing Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2