Chicago Housing Authority Employee Reviews

Great experience student intern
Junior Rec Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2018
This job was specified for student interns. It allowed us to gain experience in the workplace. It was more so about the expietence and the knowledge gained versus the money.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Low pay
Workplace Culture
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2018
Chicago Housing Authority is a great place to intern and work. The workplace culture is very uplifting and your able to speak with leadership with an open door policy.
Pros
Team Development
Cons
Intern Benefits
The Housing Authority has been disbanded
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 31, 2017
This was a completely new learning experience and I was able to grow as a professional. The products I was required to learn about were of all different types of commodities.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Working downtown and dealing with politics.
CHA today is a very reduced governmental entity in the Chicago area.
Manager for Cash Management and Investments (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 30, 2017
CHA offers a variety of jobs in their housing projects. CHA offers an area of job opportunities in the operational side of housing and administrative positions in the corporate office.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
Government pay (low)
Great work enviornment, professional
Executive Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2017
Act as office manager, provide office support to all administrative areas of the office, conduct employee performance reviews, monitor and run reports.
Pros
Great benefits and working enviornment
Cons
time spent traveling to work
Productive and wonderful place to have worked.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2017
Reporting to the Director, ensure clerical staff have prepared proper documents during proposal bidding and submitting budgets to appropriate departments and federal government.

Attending Seminars regarding Relocation for Displaced residents.

Diverse culture.

Working 16 hours per day and returning to schedule start time the next day during budget submission.

Working with people from different nationality.
Pros
Meeting and learning about different races and enjoying pot luck lunches.
Professional Company
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2017
The company is well organized. On days that I was not in the field I would either be an inhouse tech or a helpdesk support tech answering phone calls and handling tickets.
Photographer
Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2017
People were given different jobs based on the surveys we have taken. I was given a job where I worked with kids and being a photographer. To be the person documenting everything.
Pros
Free lunch
Change
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 17, 2017
There were so many properties within the company place for advancement and promotions and benefits are great., many changes made to allow better outcome for low income prospects
Great place to work for and great hours and opportunities
Housing Inspector (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2017
Very professional and productive environment also great team members that helps when help is needed flexible working hours and great pay and benefits also great for networking
Pros
By yourself the entire work day
Cons
Safety in certain areas
Doing something you love!
Administrative Assistant; Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2017
Worked in field and in office. Overtime available and mandatory. Shift work was fun. Coworkers that became family made work life enjoyable. Constant training. Staying fit was mandatory. Management were like older brothers and sisters.
Pros
Enjoyable place to work
Cons
Sometimes stressful
It was a job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2017
Working for Chicago Housing Authority could be stressful. You're working with all types of people over the phone dealing with all types the personality.
Great Place to Learn
Law Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 14, 2017
Great organization overall. Lots of changes in a short span of time, but the employees are capable and committed to doing their jobs. Great atmosphere.
Working for the people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2017
This was the Summer Food Program job where I had a number of centers to monitor. On a daily basis, I would stop by these centers and communicate with the administrator about the program, food , and the employees, Witnessing the people enjoying the nutritional value of the food was the greatest---having a had in the process. The hardest part was when the job ended.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Temporary job
I received excellent training during my time there, there was room for advancement.They provided well for their employees
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2017
I enjoyed working there. They helped me a lot during good and bad times.I will always look at working there as the best job I've ever had. It's a good place to work.
Pros
Paid their personnel well for the job that was being done, with full benefits and the leadership was excellent.
Cons
Sometimes there were long hours.
I enjoy my stay at Chicago Housing Authority
Procurement Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2017
I was short but I learned a lot. Chicago Housing Authority is a great place to work. The CEO is excellent along with his staff, The office hours are great and the managers will work with you if need be.
CHA is a great Company
Service Clerk-Data (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60608August 22, 2017
I love working witht the company. They was very helpful and caring about everything and they wanted you to feel like a family, they help when anyrthing you didn't understand.
good expirence
Front Desk Receptionist/Administrative Assist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2017
This company has showed me my worth as an part time employee
and I want to become an outstand fulltime and I have a great bosses and co workers. the hours are great and I love my job
Pros
good company
Cons
healthcare
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2017
a great place to advance. The culture was great and the managers were pleasant. The hours worked well for my self and my family. It was a fast pace environment.
fun place to work
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2017
My typical day was supporting the office staff, by making sure all the I's was dotted, and the T's was crossed. Answered customers questions, also went out in the field. Management was enjoyable to work with because they had an open door policy. Also easy to talk to and they welcomed ideas. Getting my job done was the most enjoyable part.
Pros
communal meals
Cons
somedays I had to opened the office.