Chicago Housing Authority Employee Reviews in United States

Working within Low income environment.
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2015
Various levels of classes of people. Learned about neighborhood relations. Had to exercise plenty of patience. crowd control, family ethics, building walk-downs, foot patrols, car patrol. emergency procedures.
Worked for the city for 20 years in property management/ relocation services. Loved this joy. Left due to downsizing.
RESIDENT RELOCATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2015
Started this job as a Admin Asst. and worked my way up to Relocation Manager. Duties included property management/ relocation services. Obtained many certifications as part of the advancement process. Many meeting with city departments, Sec. 8 services, landlords, etc. Great JOB.
supervised accounts payable dept.
Sr. Accountant - Accounts Payable Dept (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2015
supervised and coordinated accounts payable department. Collaborated in converting accounting records from manual to computerized system,
Unorganized and unreasonable management
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2015
Public procurement is already a tough field, the manager of the department of procurement and contracts made it even harder. By creating a hostile and catty environment.
I loved working for this company.
Summer Food Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2015
A typical day at work was assisting client with program and activities. Checking to see if client was eliglble for the Workforce Investment Act Program. Completing Intake/Assessment on client. Completing case notes and maintaining files. I loved working with my clients and coworkers. I learned how to manage my time better, and my supervisor was awesome.
Pros
Excellent workplace
Cons
N/A
Very nice place to work for.
Program Coordinator of the Housing Choice Voucher (Former Employee) –  Chicago IL,May 26, 2015
I would go back to this company anytime. I learned so much fro them and advanced my horizan with them. The staff was great to work with also.
I love this position with databases, reports and posting documents on the website.
Procurement Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 27, 2015
A typical day will be running reports, updating and running data reports. Talking with vendors and internal staff makes things easy for everyone. I am a people's person who likes to help to anyone who needs my help.
Pros
contractors communication.
Cons
constantly updating the website with new formal bids.
Hectic
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 1, 2015
The hardest part of the jobs was getting around the nepotism.
The majority of the co-workers were enjoyable.
Pros
pay is ok and close othe train station
Cons
not a good life/work balance
good place to work
Janitor/Grounds Keeper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 14, 2014
each day was both the same and different, you got to work both inside the buildings and outside, we maintained the grounds in all types of weather, we got to know all of the tenants, management was fair, health insurance was good along with our 401K plan, Chicago Housing Authority thought it would be cost efficient to privatized its maintenance workers, so all of us lost our jobs
No Comment
Senior Accountant-Section (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2014
Co-Workers work very hard to service the residential and landlord clients. The clients appreciate your efforts.
Productive and rewarding experience
Resident Services / Social Work/ Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2014
1. typical day was reserved atmosphere
2. learned office professionalism and work etiquette
3. co-workers were engaging and helpful and professional
4. the hardest part of the job was that it ended
5. most enjoyable was learning professionalism and etiquette and networking
Pros
working on various projects in and out of the office
Cons
n/a
Very diverse environment. Good position for pensioners
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 14, 2014
Great team, caring managers, many holidays. The hours required to stay in the office is a bit longer than other places I've been.
Pros
stable job
Cons
no raise in three years
Dynamic environment
Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2014
Mission-driven organization out to transform public housing.
a good work place.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2014
Greeted residents and guest daily, controlled entry and exit.
Report to office of building of any problems, report, and log infor.
Assisted with walk down and parking escorts.
Pros
good place to work.
Cons
nice breaks with benefits.
Largest Landlord in Chicago
Asst. Director, Housing Choice Voucher Program (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2014
CHA is the largest owner of rental housing in the city of Chicago, providing homes to more than 50,000 families and individuals, while supporting healthy communities in neighborhoods all across the city. CHA has almost 9,400 apartments in buildings designated for seniors and more than 11,500 units of family housing. It also oversees the administration of 36,900 Housing Choice Vouchers that allow low-income families to rent in the private market.
Pros
great mission and vision
Fun place to work at and very good people that are always willing to help
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2014
The environment is very relaxed, but also very serious. Everybody knows when it is appropriate to talk and when it is not.

A typical day is just coming in and looking over the documents and identifying what is missing or what needs to be updated. Co-workers might come to ask for assistance with a special project and I would help with that. The management is also very helpful and my supervisor is always there for me when I need her.

The hardest part of the job is just learning all of the terms and what the documents. mean. It is also very detail orientated. For example, I could be uploading a document and at the end find that the online statement is not balanced. A small error in uploading and typing in information could result in the numbers being off/not accurate.

On the other hand, the most enjoyably part of the job was just the people, the environment, and the work life balance.
Pros
great work life balance, can be rigid structure at times, can get mundane or boring
Cons
not much room for advancement
A Compny that helps...
Interim Analyst / Second Assisted to Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2014
Public housing for the proof and seniors
As they also have retirement home as well...
Interesting environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2014
Opportunity to help people with limited incomes. Also able to work with government officials as the local, state, and federal levels.
lots to learn
Maintenance Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2014
tough but good learning. The kind of place you can put on your resume.
Pros
learning
Cons
tough areas
Excellent
Mail Distribution Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2013
Good and excellent work environment....Mailroom clerk? data entry responsibilities