Chicago Park District Employee Reviews

Great work environment/ excellent products
Administrative assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2015
Pros: employee discounts, customer interaction, excellent products
Cons: short lunch
• Worked as a team member performing cashier duties, product assistance and cleaning
• Assist department Managers by answering cashier calls for various problem solving resolutions regarding store merchandise or customer complaints, price checks etc.
• Balance cash register.
• budget processes, practices and procedures
Productive and educational place to work
Recreation Leader (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2015
On a daily basis there was different task to be fulfilled. I learned quality, performance, stability, time management, and organization. Director of the program was full of energy and willing to assist at all times. He did not mind helping the staff. My co-workers were great. The hardest part of this job was walking miles in the hot sun.
Productive and very fun and enjoyable job
RECREATIONAL LEADER (Former Employee), chicago, ILJuly 27, 2015
typical day is dealing with 60-100 kids a day and try to play games with the children. then if anything happens deal with parents and talk to them when they have any concerns. i had to be bilingual because some parents didnt speak english at all. co-workers are awesome. and the best part of my job is being outside and having fun.
great overall district
Laborer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2015
My days was always good and productive cleaning parks and weed eating always help my day go by fast. Management was always good co-workers always seem to get along with no issues
Fun job to have.
Recreation Leader, Tutor (Former Employee), ChicagoJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Great experience
Cons: No free meals or any discounts
This job revolves on your ability to be outgoing towards the staff and children. Being with children only tests and challenge your patience. There are a lot of field trips and times that the children may misbehave, but it was worth the experience.
Very fun place to work Good Atmosphere
Camp Counselor/Recreation Leader, Sports (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2015
I enjoyed my time at the Chicago Park District it was fun place to work at. The staff were very polite and understanding, in addition everybody got along with each other which is a bonus. The part I enjoyed the most was working with the children because of the energy they had, they definitely made the experience worth while.
Great place to gain experience and grow
Seasonal Recreational Leader (Current Employee), Jesse Owens ParkJune 17, 2015
Pros: Opportunity for advancement
Cons: Takes a while to gain requirements for advancement
I've been with the park district for six years. I volunteered at the age of 13 and when I turned sixteen the transition to a different position was smooth. It's a great job to have for life. It requires a lot of attention and energy to keep up with children. It's definitely not a job for everyone but if you truly have a passion for kids then it's perfect. I can see myself working here for life. Both a pro and a con is the process of moving to higher paid jobs. If you've worked with the park for years and have done a great job and have connected with the community, the children, and parents, certain jobs are almost guaranteed. However, the opportunity for advancement takes a long time. There are opportunities for advancement if you're patient. Again if you're cut out to work with children it's a very enjoyable job that becomes second nature. I can't say it's easy but it's definitely not hard.
Work
Recleader (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 8, 2015
My typical day at work is excellent. I learned that it's always good to meet new people and experience new things. My co-workers were very hardworking and we just love to be around the kids. My hardest part of the job is when we had to take the kids on field trips because there were 40 kids in the camp and I was very afraid If me or my co-workers would lose any child. The most enjoyable part of my job was as I said once being around the kids and waking up everyday to come to work.
excellent to improve leadership skills
Recreational Leader (Former Employee), Chicago, IlJune 6, 2015
Pros: outside enjoying nice weather
Cons: fields muddy when it rained
Got to work, 30 minutes before work started perferably. If there wasn't a lesson plan for that day, we'd plan one out.
As a coach it was our responsibilities to the the games we taugh and played with the children.
Supervisor was very fun, but strict.
Co-works were a big help when we got a large group of children.
The most enjoyable part of my job was hearing the kids they couldn't wait until the next day.
Fun workplce
RECREATION LEADER APPRENTICESHIP (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 29, 2015
Pros: Good pay
Cons: Seasonal
It is challenging being active for 8 hours but it is very fun being around different types of people in all sorts of ages. The environment in the work place is very uplifting.
It was a different day in the park with the weather
Recreation Leader (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 29, 2015
I most enjoyable part of the job was the different ages of staff. Also, the children had a wonderful time swimming each day.
Great job
Attendant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 25, 2015
Pros: Good hours
Cons: alot of work
Good company to work for! a lot of work but not enough pay for the hours that you put in. Need more staff and better pay. Also the management can be a little bit nicer.
Productive workplace environment
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
The Chicago Park District was a very productive and interesting place to work. I would not mind working with the Park district in the future.
Diverse and fun
Recreation Instructor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
Pros: Free lucnh, meeting new people around chicago
Cons: Traveling expenses
A typical day at work includes traveling to a park district and coaching young kids on the skills and techniques of cheerleading. I learned that kids will be interested in activities if you grab they're attention and include activities that require everyone's participation. My coworkers and I would take turns in leading activities with the kids. We would all participate and take part in friendly competition with the kids. The hardest part of the job was traveling to different parks everyday. The most enjoyable part was the interaction between us and the kids.
ingorable place
ATTENDANT (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2015
Pros: working with the public
Cons: the kids
this job is one of my favorites because working with the public and and sometimes in the summer working out doors with nature like with all different types of animals.
Improving culture with networking opportunities
Attendant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2015
Pros: working with kids, flexible schedules
Cons: politics
Abbott Park is a good place to work. The supervisor has favorites so you have to play politics. There is plenty of foot traffic which provides a number of opportunities for networking.
Great Environment
Event Programmer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2015
Working here meant a lot to myself and former coworkers because you get the chance to inspire inner city youth through sport.
Good pay, but seasonal employees aren't taken serious.
Seasonal Recreational Leader (Current Employee), Chicago IlMarch 3, 2015
Pros: impacting lives, great pay
Cons: staff management, bias parents.
I've worked with the park district for seven years. I come back because I love the children, but I can't say the same about the staff. I have run into unreasonable and unethical staff members. However, I have found that recreation leaders have no authority in reporting these issues. There was a staff member harassing and intimidating the recreation leaders, and the supervisor did nothing. When they were reported we were chastised about making the call, and one of the workers was written up and ineligible to return to the park district (coincidentally) Basically, come and watch these kids, if the staff aren't doing their job, well thats not your problem, keep working. It's unfortunate, but it happens because we're only there for six weeks and it's easier to dismiss us than their permanent employees. I'll always love the Chicago Park District, but I wish they took their seasonal employees more seriously.
Community among employees and patrons...
Attendant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: community amongst employees
Cons: availability of scheduled hours of work
There isn't much room for advancement if you enter the company as an attendant. It's kind of like your expected to continue on as an attendant even though you have the knowledge, skill set and ability to function highly at another position. Though, there seems to be multiple opportunities, they seem to disappear prematurely at times.

My coworkers are awesome people! Very diverse and intriguing individuals and they make your daily work seem like an extended family in rotating shifts. The patrons are the best and at times the hardest parts of the job because at times what they want you can't provide or help with. Other than that the patrons have definitely become a part of my extended family. They know my wife and son. Management has quite a bit of work cut out for them. It would seem that they offer positions to individual that they know as opposed to people who have the experience and degrees specialization and or have been with the company for a considerable amount of time.
Love Kids
Recreational Leader (Former Employee), Cicero, ILFebruary 12, 2015
• Encourage safe and positive behavior to children
• Helped to facilitate indoor and outdoor play
• Monitor children’s play activities to verify safety and wellness
• Maintain organization and cleanliness of work environment