Chicago Park District

Chicago Park District Employee Reviews

Work
Recleader (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 8, 2015
My typical day at work is excellent. I learned that it's always good to meet new people and experience new things. My co-workers were very hardworking and we just love to be around the kids. My hardest part of the job is when we had to take the kids on field trips because there were 40 kids in the camp and I was very afraid If me or my co-workers would lose any child. The most enjoyable part of my job was as I said once being around the kids and waking up everyday to come to work.
excellent to improve leadership skills
Recreational Leader (Former Employee), Chicago, IlJune 6, 2015
Pros: outside enjoying nice weather
Cons: fields muddy when it rained
Got to work, 30 minutes before work started perferably. If there wasn't a lesson plan for that day, we'd plan one out.
As a coach it was our responsibilities to the the games we taugh and played with the children.
Supervisor was very fun, but strict.
Co-works were a big help when we got a large group of children.
The most enjoyable part of my job was hearing the kids they couldn't wait until the next day.
Fun workplce
RECREATION LEADER APPRENTICESHIP (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 29, 2015
Pros: Good pay
Cons: Seasonal
It is challenging being active for 8 hours but it is very fun being around different types of people in all sorts of ages. The environment in the work place is very uplifting.
It was a different day in the park with the weather
Recreation Leader (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 29, 2015
I most enjoyable part of the job was the different ages of staff. Also, the children had a wonderful time swimming each day.
Great job
Attendant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 25, 2015
Pros: Good hours
Cons: alot of work
Good company to work for! a lot of work but not enough pay for the hours that you put in. Need more staff and better pay. Also the management can be a little bit nicer.
Productive workplace environment
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
The Chicago Park District was a very productive and interesting place to work. I would not mind working with the Park district in the future.
Diverse and fun
Recreation Instructor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
Pros: Free lucnh, meeting new people around chicago
Cons: Traveling expenses
A typical day at work includes traveling to a park district and coaching young kids on the skills and techniques of cheerleading. I learned that kids will be interested in activities if you grab they're attention and include activities that require everyone's participation. My coworkers and I would take turns in leading activities with the kids. We would all participate and take part in friendly competition with the kids. The hardest part of the job was traveling to different parks everyday. The most enjoyable part was the interaction between us and the kids.
ingorable place
ATTENDANT (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2015
Pros: working with the public
Cons: the kids
this job is one of my favorites because working with the public and and sometimes in the summer working out doors with nature like with all different types of animals.
Improving culture with networking opportunities
Attendant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2015
Pros: working with kids, flexible schedules
Cons: politics
Abbott Park is a good place to work. The supervisor has favorites so you have to play politics. There is plenty of foot traffic which provides a number of opportunities for networking.
Great Environment
Event Programmer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2015
Working here meant a lot to myself and former coworkers because you get the chance to inspire inner city youth through sport.
Good pay, but seasonal employees aren't taken serious.
Seasonal Recreational Leader (Current Employee), Chicago IlMarch 3, 2015
Pros: impacting lives, great pay
Cons: staff management, bias parents.
I've worked with the park district for seven years. I come back because I love the children, but I can't say the same about the staff. I have run into unreasonable and unethical staff members. However, I have found that recreation leaders have no authority in reporting these issues. There was a staff member harassing and intimidating the recreation leaders, and the supervisor did nothing. When they were reported we were chastised about making the call, and one of the workers was written up and ineligible to return to the park district (coincidentally) Basically, come and watch these kids, if the staff aren't doing their job, well thats not your problem, keep working. It's unfortunate, but it happens because we're only there for six weeks and it's easier to dismiss us than their permanent employees. I'll always love the Chicago Park District, but I wish they took their seasonal employees more seriously.
Community among employees and patrons...
Attendant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: community amongst employees
Cons: availability of scheduled hours of work
There isn't much room for advancement if you enter the company as an attendant. It's kind of like your expected to continue on as an attendant even though you have the knowledge, skill set and ability to function highly at another position. Though, there seems to be multiple opportunities, they seem to disappear prematurely at times.

My coworkers are awesome people! Very diverse and intriguing individuals and they make your daily work seem like an extended family in rotating shifts. The patrons are the best and at times the hardest parts of the job because at times what they want you can't provide or help with. Other than that the patrons have definitely become a part of my extended family. They know my wife and son. Management has quite a bit of work cut out for them. It would seem that they offer positions to individual that they know as opposed to people who have the experience and degrees specialization and or have been with the company for a considerable amount of time.
Love Kids
Recreational Leader (Former Employee), Cicero, ILFebruary 12, 2015
• Encourage safe and positive behavior to children
• Helped to facilitate indoor and outdoor play
• Monitor children’s play activities to verify safety and wellness
• Maintain organization and cleanliness of work environment
Fun and very productive
Junior Laborer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2015
This Particular job at the park was a breeze. I was a Windy City Hoops Recreational leader. There were minimal hours given but the job was fun. I refereed basketball games and assisted in helping young teens have a great afternoon of fun sports.
Park
Physical Instructor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: salary
A great place to work. Great way to get involved in your community. Take advantage of the play/learn culture of the park. This is where we will learn to live in peace with one another
Fun place to work
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2015
Maintaining safety in and around pool at all times. Teaching swim lessons, coaching swim team and working with public. Very well run organization
Fun work place
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: helping to make our communities better
I've learned how to operate various equipment, meeting great new co-workers but the most enjoyable part of the job is beautifying the parks, beaches and playgrounds in our communities.
Enjoy interacting with Public
Attendant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: no health insurance
Typical day starts with maintaining recreational grounds and checking on the safety of the facilities of the park. I check with supervisor to see if there are special events.
Great experience
Recreation Leader (Former Employee), Chicago , IL.January 12, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
Although this was a summer position, I worked for this company for six consecutive summers. The management was great. I really enjoyed getting going to work. I have worked with all age groups of childern. We gone on many field trips. I was activity facilatator, as well as role model for these children.
Fun workplace
Recreation Leader (Seasonal, Full-time) (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2015
Great company to work for. Working with youth makes it a great environment.

1 2 3 4 5

About Chicago Park District

The Chicago Park District owns and operates more than 8,100 acres of parkland that includes 580 parks, 26 miles of lakefront, – Read more

Chicago Park District Salaries