Chicago Park District Employee Reviews

A great job to get your feet wet with work ethics and discipline
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2017
Great experience learned a lot from great supervisor who taught me how to advance in the company unfortunately was overlooked despite doing a lot of voluntary work to get recognized as a committed worker deserving of a higher position
Very welcoming staff of supervisors
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2017
Working at the Chicago Park District was a great experience. They had supervisors willing to work with you and help you on things that you were unsure about.
Pros
Very good pay
Fun Work Environment
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 24, 2017
Working with children in the different sports was fun since I enjoy sports. Not enough hours to cover rent and bills while living on your own. Most enjoyable part was working with the Special Olympics programs.
A great Summer Job
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2017
Great job to start off with for a first time job to get your feet wet about working. Great job if you like dealing with kids, different personalities, & parents.
Once in a life time job
PHYSICAL INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2017
Great place to work. Love developing kids into great student athletes.seasonal competitions are a plus and the kids love them. Upper management is great
Fun
Jr. Laborer/Landscaper- Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2017
I had a great time at the park district. That's all I should say. Not a real job. More like paid joking around. Nothing to complain about worked with great people work was hard but great manager. Also felt like I at least tried to make a difference
Pros
You should work there one summer. Doesn't matter who you are or what kind of degree you have.
Cons
Civilians call you alot of names. Some managers can be vindictive.
Organized environment
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2017
The park district provides a step into various different job insights. Working with the park district allows you to be creative and quick on your feet and imaginative. The job provides both customer service and childcare experience.
Fun
Jr. Labor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2017
Fun and fast moving, out with the people everyday. I like keeping the parks looking good some people could enjoy the time out in the parks I like that we work together to get things done
Fun place to work
Junior Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2017
I have been working at Chicago Park District for 5 years. I worked from summery to fall. It's really fun place to work with people with different culture.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
minimum breaks
A diverse and multi-cultural enviroment and verse community
Park Supervisor of Recreation (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2017
I spent over thirty years of service with the Chicago Park District, giving me a well rounded experience through the many requirements and responsibilities as a Park Supervisor.
Pros
Many job benefits and job security
Cons
none to speak of
Fun balanced place
Jr Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2017
You are always outside so if you don't want to be outside this isn't the job for you. And you are constantly moving and may have to lift heavy things.
fun and games
Activities/ Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2017
working with the Chicago Park district has been a very wonderful experience as far as growth gaining knowledge and experience within the company to grow
Pros
meeting new people, helping students
Cons
not enugh hours during the week only during summer
productive and fun workplace
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 12, 2017
On an average day we have fun while proactively do our assignments. there is good communication on what needs to be done and when we need it to be done.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
some people take advantage of their position, upper management dont address issues immediately
Great Workplace
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2017
Great work environment with great co workers. You will always be busy. Meet great people within the job, as well as people who you meet in the public.
Junior Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2017
I wish I could get a permanent position there, I love learning new things there, really liked my supervisors and foreman. We did alot of hands on work, but, I loved every minute of it. It's your willing to learn, you can be shown how to work in different positions.
Pros
Loved the hours and my days off
Cons
Could use more money for what we do as junior laborers
a fun enviorment
rec leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2017
i had a fun time at work teaching kids sports and how to work together it taught me A lot of patients and ho to work in a fast pace the hardest thing about my job was to make sure young children come together but overall the job was very fun smooth to work around and management was very professional
loved it
Recreational leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
working with the children was the best, I had fun on the field trips, and the staff was really nice. we followed a schedule and worked with the children on lessons and games.
Hostile Work Environment
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2017
I worked for the Chicago Park District for 15 + years. The only thing that I'm going to miss about working for the park is working with the community. Helping people with learn to swim classes and doing various activities, ensuring the safety of the patrons in the water.

Things I wont miss about the Chicago Park District is the lack of growing with the Company! The work environment that they give you is unsafe for the most part. And the lack of appreciation that they have for lifeguards with experience.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
No appreciation from employers, you may work in a hostile work environment without security for saftey.
Good for the communities of Chicago
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2017
I loved working for the park district. It taught me everything that I know today and it provides me such a powerful stance in how I feel about our community and what it has to offer!
Very fun work place helping out with children and being responsible for the children's fun.
Rec Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2017
6 week job where you are assigned to a group and play games and make they're summer enjoyable. You take the campers to swim and go on many field trips. This job is a big responsibility but is very rewarding.
Pros
Doing fun activities with the children
Cons
Strict schedule