Chicago Park District Employee Reviews

Chicago park district aquatics
Senior Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2016
I've been an employee for the park district for over 8 years now.
The summer is prime time of course, my self and fellow lifeguards are in charge of thousands of people at an time. We collectively work together making sure everyone goes home safe. Our job is customer service first. We have to be able to effectively communicate with patrons and our staff. The most difficult part has to be dealing with patrons that are under the influence of alcohol.
Pros
Having in-service trainings to stay in shape
great place to work with room to grow
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2016
my time with the park district was good everyone was friendly and i learned a lot while i was there they work with u to teach u what needs to be done
Hands on with a lot of new skills
Hourly Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day at the park district consists of cleaning & blowing off all parks in the area in addition to weed trimming when necessary. I learned the routine necessary to maintain different parks as well as how to operate grass cutters and weed trimmers. The management is organized, well-mannered, and motivational. The co-workers make a great team. The hardest part of the job can be getting everything done in one day. I'm very detail oriented and sometimes have to address a task at one park the next day because there are other parks in need of work. The most enjoyable part is the feeling of keeping busy.
The fun
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2016
It was fun working with the kids they looked up to us like role models the days were fun because we got to play with the kids the hardest part was when we had to go to a new camp at the end of the week after bonding so well with certain kids
Great Job
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2016
I loved this job. Working with parents and children taught me a lot about myself and how to adapt under extreme circumstances.
Pros
Everything!
Cons
Low Pay
...........
Recreation Leader Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2016
very fun job. you learn a lot and meet wonderful people. pays excellent and who wouldn't want to work and have fun at the same time? city jobs are the best.
A lot To learn on the job.
Landscape Attendant (Former Employee) –  central Park Av.January 7, 2016
Fast past. To be the best I can be. Love to work with management and to work with and my co-workers. Making the best of my day.
supportive and good team workers
Life guard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 14, 2015
opening up checking all emergency equipment for good working order, setting up and maintaining a safe area for swimmers
Pros
job location out side
Cons
summer job only
Baseball program with eager and talented kids
Sport Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2015
I loved this job. Every week I got to meet kids from everywhere and leave them with new knowledge about baseball. My coworkers had previously known each other so I was ostracized some of the time but the company of the children sufficed.
Most enjoyable part would be encountering children who thought they knew all there was to know and ended up thanking me for new information at the end of the program. I loved being able to hone and enhance these kids talents with just patience and determination.
Pros
Fun environment, short shifts
Cons
Seasonal Job only
Fun place to work and to get your feet wet
Activity Wellness Instructor III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 23, 2015
The park district is always a fun place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people all the time. Sometimes there is red tape to deal with but that is always expected.
FUN PRODUCTIVE PLACE TO WORK
Recreational leader, early childhood development (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 27, 2015
GREAT PLACE TO DEVELOP YOUR YOUR SOCIAL SKILLS WITH CHILDREN. ALSO A GREAT PLACE FOR LEADERSHIP BECAUSE YOUR SUPERVISING AT LEAST 20 PEOPLE AT A TIME INCLUDING PARENTS AS WELL
Nice workplace and the job always gets done.
Season laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2015
I've really enjoyed working with the Chicago park district. They're good to their employees and make sure everyone is treated equally.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
N/A
Physically Challenging yet Fun
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 23, 2015
I enjoy being able to teach people how to swim, and proper swimming etiquette. I also spend time coaching kids and adults, and socializing. The most complicated part of my job is probably dealing with the weather changes. The best part of my job is working with my staff, my work schedule, and being able to see satisfied customers and patrons returning because they're extremely happy and eager to learn and do more.
Pros
Meet new people everyday, Bi-weekly/flexible work schedules, physical training
Cons
Health issues when dealing with the weather and the water
great environment
Jr. Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2015
.I loved everything about this job. The hours, the pay, the co workers, the location. I would love to work for them if the opportunity presented itself to me.
Pros
outside environment
Cons
n/a
Fun workplace and learning experience.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 20, 2015
A typical day at work was to do swim lessons, instruct swim team, and ensure patrons safety. I learned how to become a better swim instructor and coach. The management at times was unfair. I enjoyed working with my co-workers; we got along as a family. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with extremely rude patrons. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the children advance on their swimming skills.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible schedule
Cons
Healthcare, short breaks, not getting paid for lunch
Assisting a child with theruptic activities.
Inclusion Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2015
The most enjoyable is helping enhance the life of a special needs child. I have learned so much working with challenging students. Management is available to assist and support in any matter. My co-workers has helped me to become more knowledgeable in different cultures.
Fun workplace where you meet and interact with different personalties
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago,ILOctober 2, 2015
A exciting workplace with structured management. Doing different activities during the day, learning as well as guiding children to go down the right path in life.
Productive and fun workplace for the youth of Chicago
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2015
The kids were the best part of volunteering at the Chicago Park District. We had so many learning activities and took trips to the museum, water parks, and the zoo. The kids really do look up to the junior leaders and also the staff. Everyone worked together very well, the staff helped out with everything, they were so caring.
Pros
free lunches, trips, clean work places
Cons
being outside in the hot sun, short breaks
Opening The gym
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2015
Open the gym then the locker room. I learned how to teach kids sports. Great management. Good co workers. Taken down tables on my own. Teaching the kids sports
Motivational and Healthy Workplace
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2015
Great workplace with structured management. Healthy and motivational mindsets helped grow within oneself and as a lifeguard. Extremely fun if you love the outdoors!
Pros
Great environment, Fun atmosphere
Cons
Long standing time

4.4