Chicago Park District Employee Reviews in United States

Management is horrible
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2016
Poor management, job culture is dismal, no advancement opportunities AT ALL...once your in YOUR STUCK, there is a comfort level, yet what do you give of yourself for this?

Supressed skills and abilities is the environment most are comfortable with...it could be stated that I and individuals like me are the issue....I will no longer take this view, if that is the case then leave....

The job culture/environment is antiquated; adultism, passive-agression, non-supportive, manipulation, dishonesty, limited information....maybe it is the department? No, this is feelings and actualities that existed across the board...

Lastly, perhaps in conclusion its time to get out.....
Pros
Benefits, Security
Cons
Management, No Advancement, Job Culture
great job
Seasonal worker - Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2016
This was a great summer position. It gave me good experience in the work field. you name is pulled from a lottery and if you're lucky you get to take advantage of this opportunity.
Productive & Fun Workplace
VOLUNTEER REFEREE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 26, 2016
A typical day at work was full of entertainment. You learn a lot when dealing with children ages 6-12. I learned that patience is the key to success, especially with a job like that. The management was good and my co-workers were friendly and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job would be getting all the children to be on their best behavior. The most enjoyable part of the job is the different personalities of the children because you never know what to expect.
Pros
Free lunch and the children
Cons
Chicago
productive fun met nice people
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2016
I would clean park facility insure safe of park grounds, close park at time of close. Host events for persons renting facility after hours cleanup insure safety of all persons in building after hour.
Pros
wonderful pay nice work envirorment
Cons
long hour but worth it
Flexible hours and fun environment.
Park Concessions Management Inspector (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2016
Travel to different locations every day. Report to supervisor at the beginning and end of each work day. Most enjoyable part of the job was the great atmostphere management created for us.
Fun work place
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2016
Being able to start with customer service at a young age. Jobs for your youth starting at 16 is a great way to learn responsibilities. Also great for young adults starting college with hours that vary from 7am to 10pm.
Pros
Pay, hours, and being part of team that you help build
Cons
N/A
Great summer job
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2016
It was a great active environment. I would not trade any of the precious experiences I gained through the park district.
Productive and fun place
Recreational Leader (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2016
A typical day with the Chicago Park District is fast paced and fun. What I've learned is working with the Chicago park District is a great environment to work into because you get to get to the things you love most which was for me, putting a smile on the children faces and being role models for the children that came to camp everyday ready to have fun and learn new things. The management at the Chicago Park District was nice and friendly. My co-workers there were also nice and friendly and we were a well oiled machine, we worked extremely well together. The hardest part of the job was getting the children to participate when the weather would not cooperate with us because they loved to be outside but we still had fun and the children went home happy still. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children happy and putting a smile on their faces and the parents happy because we made their children day worth while and they know that they can trust us
Pros
free lunches, a program thats great for the children
Cons
nothing
Chicago park district aquatics
Senior Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2016
I've been an employee for the park district for over 8 years now.
The summer is prime time of course, my self and fellow lifeguards are in charge of thousands of people at an time. We collectively work together making sure everyone goes home safe. Our job is customer service first. We have to be able to effectively communicate with patrons and our staff. The most difficult part has to be dealing with patrons that are under the influence of alcohol.
Pros
Having in-service trainings to stay in shape
great place to work with room to grow
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2016
my time with the park district was good everyone was friendly and i learned a lot while i was there they work with u to teach u what needs to be done
Hands on with a lot of new skills
Hourly Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day at the park district consists of cleaning & blowing off all parks in the area in addition to weed trimming when necessary. I learned the routine necessary to maintain different parks as well as how to operate grass cutters and weed trimmers. The management is organized, well-mannered, and motivational. The co-workers make a great team. The hardest part of the job can be getting everything done in one day. I'm very detail oriented and sometimes have to address a task at one park the next day because there are other parks in need of work. The most enjoyable part is the feeling of keeping busy.
The fun
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2016
It was fun working with the kids they looked up to us like role models the days were fun because we got to play with the kids the hardest part was when we had to go to a new camp at the end of the week after bonding so well with certain kids
Great Job
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2016
I loved this job. Working with parents and children taught me a lot about myself and how to adapt under extreme circumstances.
Pros
Everything!
Cons
Low Pay
...........
Recreation Leader Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2016
very fun job. you learn a lot and meet wonderful people. pays excellent and who wouldn't want to work and have fun at the same time? city jobs are the best.
A lot To learn on the job.
Landscape Attendant (Former Employee) –  central Park Av.January 7, 2016
Fast past. To be the best I can be. Love to work with management and to work with and my co-workers. Making the best of my day.
supportive and good team workers
Life guard (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 14, 2015
opening up checking all emergency equipment for good working order, setting up and maintaining a safe area for swimmers
Pros
job location out side
Cons
summer job only
Baseball program with eager and talented kids
Sport Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2015
I loved this job. Every week I got to meet kids from everywhere and leave them with new knowledge about baseball. My coworkers had previously known each other so I was ostracized some of the time but the company of the children sufficed.
Most enjoyable part would be encountering children who thought they knew all there was to know and ended up thanking me for new information at the end of the program. I loved being able to hone and enhance these kids talents with just patience and determination.
Pros
Fun environment, short shifts
Cons
Seasonal Job only
Fun place to work and to get your feet wet
Activity Wellness Instructor III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 23, 2015
The park district is always a fun place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people all the time. Sometimes there is red tape to deal with but that is always expected.
Fun productive place to work
Recreational leader, early childhood development (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 27, 2015
Great place to develop your your social skills with children. Also a great place for leadership because your supervising at least 20 people at a time including parents as well
Nice workplace and the job always gets done.
Season laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2015
I've really enjoyed working with the Chicago park district. They're good to their employees and make sure everyone is treated equally.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
N/A

4.4