Chicago Park District Employee Reviews

A Fun and Educational Enviroment
Sailing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2017
The Chicago Park District Sailing Program is an amazing place to work. The Director is friendly, outgoing, and helpful. The work is both fun and educational. Working at the sailing program, one may learn something new every day.

The hardest part of the job is outboard motor maintenance, but teaching sailing to people of all ages and abilities gives great satisfaction.
Pros
Daily Sailing
Cons
No health care and may not get 40 hrs per week
exciting place to work
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2017
Being an Administrative Clerk for the CEO gave me experience what it would feel like to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines. . Additionally, communication and expressing ourselves in a positive manner plays a big role in their culture. All communication is cultural. It draws on way we have learned to speak and give nonverbal messages. We do not always communicate the same way from day to day, since factors like context, individual personality, and mood interact with the variety of cultural influence we have internalized that influence our choices.
Pros
unexpected overtime
Cons
political position
fun family enviorment
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  skinnerDecember 27, 2016
Have the kids do homework, then play organized games with them before pickup. Located in a family friendly environment. Kids have lots of space to play and enjoy themselves. Enjoy talking with them and telling my story since I was a product of the park district. Co-workers are friendly and very helpful all around. Management is very helpful toward moving up and getting other positions. Very family orientated
Consolidate interactive activities for young campers.
Concierge Service-Security (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 22, 2016
A typical day begins with creating an ice-breaker activity in which gets the kids ready for the day. Then I continue consolidating various activities to keep young campers active throughout the day. This experience has taught me how to be a leader and how to adapt to various conditions. The hardest part of the job was making sure that every child had their needs met.
Good Summer Job
Junior laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 28, 2017
Working at the Park District is a laid back experience. You know what you need to do each day and depending on your pace you can get things done early and take it easy the rest of the day. The bosses can be a little negligent if you need equipment or a special request, but most of the time they were cool. It's definitely a good high school/college summer job to have.
Pros
Good pay, time outside, easy work
It was a productive and fun workplace
Sports37 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2016
A typical day at work was playing sports/games with the kids, feeding them breakfast lunch and snacks. I learned that dealing with younger children is much tougher than people of your age. The management was the BEST and co-workers were also. The only hard part about the job was keeping the children happy, even though we did that its just younger children wants and needs vary. I enjoyed taking them on the different field trips
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2016
Working for the chicago park district was the best environment. The managers/team leaders were the best they made sure we were close and that we all got along together. I learned how to deal with kids 12 and under. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with kids and the trips. The environment as a whole was great. They always made sure anyone that was new felt welcome.
Amazing and fun work place to help others
Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2016
Everyday my job will be to create fun ideas and help children with being respectful to one another. My day would usually start with doing fun activities during the summer to help their parents with watching them and teaching them to respect each other. Such as if any incident would happen in which one another would argue or fight with one another we had sat as many kids as needed during the situation and we would teach them how to be nice to each other. Last but not least this is the most important thing was when other co workers and I would pass out lunches we made sure every camper (child) would use their manners and respect the elder when something is being told to them so they can carry on this trait at home and of course their everyday life.
Pros
Free lunches
Enjoyed working in the different department. have gained a lot of experience.
Special Projects Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2016
my overall experience at the park district has been great. I started as an intern, with little to no experience. I have gained enough knowledge as it relates to most of the departments within the organization. that's the benefit of working here.
BENEFITS
Cons
NONE
productive and fun working with children
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2016
i loved volunteering at the chicago park district. it was a blast being able to take kids on different trips and being able to plan fun activities around the park district with them. the kids loved me as much as i fell in love with them. it was a blast and i feel every child deserves to have a fun childhood.
Pros
free luch, exciting children and teens, really cool coworkers and supervisors
Community Involvement
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2016
Everyday at the park was different. I was able to give back to my community by making sure the kids who came to camp had a great time. I really loved working here. I had no problem with anyone. I went in everyday to work with a great attitude. Furthermore, I had a positive day everyday.
Pros
Fun Activities, Free Lunches, Ethical Environment
new employment with the park district
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 20, 2017
i looking forward for the park district to hiring me permit . cause i been with the company 14 years seasonal Summer .i been in 2 employed to 2 park and the employee always been nice treated the new employee like family
Pros
free extra hours
Cons
just employment
Chicago park district
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2016
Honestly, I loved this job at one point.
Well coming into the park. It was all about the kids. Now it's changing. it's all about numbers. A lot of parents can't afford to put a child in a program because the coast is too high.
Pros
paid sick time, personal time, and your in a union
Cons
15-20 hours a week depending on your park.
Fun and exciting workplace
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2016
A typical day included organizing a schedule for the kids to take part in and then sanctioning the activities. From this job I've learned to quickly adapt to changing conditions. It could rain at any given moment so the schedule made in the morning would more than likely go out the window and I would have to change and come up with new activities at a moments notice. I've learned some conflict resolution skills. Management was flexible and easy to communicate with. My co-workers made me feel welcome which helped immensely. We felt like a small summer family. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to provide the kids with a fun environment to enjoy their summer.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Seasonal position
Good paying job, great working hours
Jr. Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 13, 2016
A typical day at work was laid back just getting things done as soon as possible. We had numerous breaks, and we had a lunch break. There are great people that work there, it was a friendly and fun environment.
Pros
Nice Breaks
Cons
Lots of walking
Over worked
Junior laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2017
Well to many people wanting to be the boss so it created a lot of confusion. The boss had his picks and chooses. I learned a lot per my supervisor. The best part of the day was to leave and go home.
Pros
Hands on learning
Cons
not treated and over looked
Great learning environment
Workforce Development & Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2016
This job consisted primarily of event planning throughout the city of Chicago within the parks. It was a great learning experience and gave me a better understanding of all the hard work put into the parks.
worked with them for years
Activity Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 8, 2016
it was fun to work with kids at different parks. see all the ones you started with grow up. the parks depending on where you go they can be picky but that's life. great times.
Pros
connections
Cons
some areas you may be in
Great place to work at as someone's first job
Camp Volunteer (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2016
I loved working there every summer. It was a great experience and the environment was very friendly. It thought me how to be more outgoing and how to work hard.
Pros
Free lunch and lasting friendships
I work in a very good environment develop a lot of experience in different areas.
Custodial /Attendent (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2016
I love my job I have a passion for cleaning I have a passion for working with people helping them get the best deals in town great deals in town good deals in town answering the phone is a great experience for me taking tips on how to do my job and deal with people's I would love to get a chance to work with the city of Chicago it would be a great experience for me I would like to learn different training in different fields it would be a great experience for me.
Pros
Passing out lunch making sure area is clean
Cons
Making sure our rules are followed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Park District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4