Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools Employer Reviews

Fast paced work environment
Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2014
I loved this job, it typically involved helping other and helping children
Great program offerings for students in Chicago Public Schools
Employee (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2014
Pros: good benefits and the ability to help students across the city.
Cons: no telecommuting or flexible scheduling, no raises, hard to get breaks/lunch at times due to workload, no additional perks (i.e. no lounge room or coffee provided)
The best thing about working at CPS is that you can help to impact the lives of students across the city. Program offerings are extensive and for the most part, free of charge.
The most difficult thing is that this is a public agency with limited budgets. Employees can go years without increases, even minor cost of living increases. Employees are expected – more... to continuously take on more responsibility without pay increases, which can be very difficult.
Employees range from those coming from private industry to teachers that have moved into administration. There is a good mix of people from different ethnic backgrounds, which makes working here interesting and can be a lot of fun. – less
Freedom to work independently.
Onsite School Reviewer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2014
Pros: free "school" lunches
Cons: not being reimbursed for gas while driving across the miles
My day starts with driving to different schools in areas all across the city. I Inform and monitor lunchroom aides on the importance of keeping good records while ensuring an accurate count of the students who are consuming healthy foods each child.

The culture of the position with Chicago Public Schools is efficient, effective, and enlightening. My – more... co-workers are warm, friendly and knowledgeable.

The hardest part of the job is driving to areas that are very far without help on the gas. The most enjoyable is meeting groups of people . – less
Phoney Phoney Phoney
Teacher (Former Employee), ChicagoOctober 6, 2014
Pros: if you dont want to work hard just do exactly what the admin tells you to do.
Cons: everything
In my experience teaching at CPS I found it to be the worst place I ever taught at. Admin is phoney and most teachers go along with the plan to pass the students through thus in my eyes failing them for life.
Beautiful place to work.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee), Chicago,ilOctober 2, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits.
A regular day was teaching the students base on the lesson plan.
I had a graceful co-workers,staff.
i enjoyed working with charming students.
Excellent place to work and great benefits
Food Attendant (Current Employee), 125 S. Clark StreetSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: interact with different people daily
Cons: limited employees
I assist in food preparation and the sanitation in food servicing facilities, open cans, wash pots dishes and sanitize countertops daily, operate food service equipment and maintain a clean work station. Interacting with children daily to ensure they receive the proper breakfast and lunch recommended by the government and work closely with my co-workers – more... to ensure meals are cooked at proper recommend temperature for both cold and hot foods – less
Productive, opportunity for growth, good benefits
Speech Language Pathologist Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: professional development meetings
Cons: healthcare benefits were not as economical as i would have liked
I had a great 8 years working here. Much opportunity for professional development and gained lots of experiend nce in working in the speech language disordered field. I enjoyed the flexibility and training opportunities when upgrades occurred in data inputting systems.
During my 15 years of public school teaching, coaching was my favorite job.
Teacher/ literature and writing coach (Former Employee), Chicago, Il/September 29, 2014
Pros: seeing growth in students
Cons: lack of respect
A typical day always involved a change in the game plan. No day went according to plan. One gets used to this over time. Planning and preparing meaningful lessons was my specialty. Days began with securing and planting the materials needed for the day as well as making copies for homework and writing out the day's objectives and expectations on the – more... board for students to see. I learned to adapt to students' needs as well as how to coexist with the variety of colleagues in a public setting. I had to be on top of my game for classroom management because in the inner city where I have always taught, one has to think on their toes and be ready for just about anything. I had to find a balance between being street smart and nurturing at the same time. This is not an easy task. I worked well with all of my coworkers and collaborated on a daily basis. I also joined many school-wide teams where I gave thoughtful input as well as received constructive input from others. The hardest part of the job has been the exhaustion I have been feeling in the past year. This did however, lead me to a point in my life where I know I need a change of pace and a turn in direction within education. The most enjoyable parts were the satisfaction gained when students learned the material I taught and even felt excitement about it. Also, I loved coaching teachers and running professional developments over the years. – less
I enjoy my Education Pioneers Fellowship
Education Pioneers Fellow (Former Employee), Chicago, IlSeptember 29, 2014
Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is a large organization and as such it is important to understand the history of CPS as well as Chicago. As a native Chicagoan, I am familiar with CPS and Chicago, so I was more than prepared to focus on my tasks and project and not come to the process with media influenced and 'other' input. I would say, be sure of who – more... you are no matter where you work and you are the constant versus trying to shift to everyone...it's impossible to please everyone and do everything. – less
Productive and a fun place to work/
Security Officer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: nice lunch breaks
Cons: not enough time off
Working with CPS was a rewarding and exciting place to be. The staff was always professional and the children sweet most of the time.
Productive and interactive
Special Ed Bus Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2014
Everyday was something different as in working with special needs students but also was a joy to work with many great and supportive professional within the CPS school.
Substitute special Education Classroom Assistant (Current Employee), ChicagoSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: education, students, change
Cons: bad children
Productive, Friendly Place to meet different students and staff
Needs more resources and services for children and families
Social Worker Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2014
Need more social workers, case managers, school-wide restorative justice, community resources and services for families are essential.
12 years at CPS
Elementary Lunchroom Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: medical benifits
Cons: always have broken equipment
A typical day for me at CPS is repetitive. Ive learned alot here and after 12 years i need to expand. The highest I can go is High School. I have decided to move on to high Schools this year but if something better comes along then im willing to retire from food service at CPS. The hardest parts of the job is the equipment continuously breaking down. – more... Out of all of the schools ive worked in there were never any new equipment, always something refurbished.
I would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job are the little children. They can be hilarious. They can make my day a little bit better because they are adorable, sweet, honest and kind. I enjoy seeing them grow. I will surely miss them as i move on but will always carry them in my heart. – less
Excellent Benefits
Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2014
1) Staff meeting - take notes from meeting compose and distribute to mgmt. Audit fraud hotlines, compose and report findings to mgmt. Maintained database for CIU & EIU depts.
2)Interaction without confrontation
3) Excellent
4) Resourceful yet Predictable
5) Leaving it
6) Daily Activity
Exceptional and inspirational
Director, Financial Literacy Initiatives (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2014
As I was involved in many aspects of administration within my position, I found my duties became more and more involved with students' continued education and self-esteem.

A truly gratifying tenure, which motivated me to re-locate (upon request/recruitment of the CFO) to Los Angeles, to transfer some of my efforts/programs to the students of Los Angeles.
Fulfilling work life
Special Education Classroom Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2014
I enjoyed my time in CPS because I was making a difference in the lives of children. I enjoyed going to work because I believe I worked among some of the best educators in the Chicagoland area, all staff members were dedicated to their jobs and they were a pleasure to be around.
Love investing in the students
Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2014
Pros: enjoyed investing in our future generations lives
Cons: school closure
A typical day at work beagn with checking voicemails and email. Returning phone calls and emails as neccessary. Input student attendance from each class and follow up call with students that are absent. In addition to Organizeing School based meetings and assisted with preparation of agendas for various school activities. Lastly,Performed Clerical activities – more... to support Principal and Staff. – less
Nice place to work
School Clerk Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2014
Pros: career growth
Cons: yearly lay-offs
Great organization that allows room for growth and development. Too many lay-offs and very political.
A place to encounter many dedicated teachers, administrators and support staff.
Administrator and Consultant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2014
My experience working with colleagues at CPS has been overwhelmingly positive because most of the people are hard working and dedicated employees who care about students, schools, and the city of Chicago. It can be stressful because there are often management and strategy changes that need to be implemented quickly and not always effectively or efficiently.

1 2 3 4 5

About Chicago Public Schools

The Chicago Public Schools is the nation's third-largest school district and the second-largest employer in Illinois, with more – Read more

Chicago Public Schools Photos