Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools Employee Reviews

Challenging in this economic time period.
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Summers off, time off for winter break and spring paid (though, all of this is unpaid)
Cons: High turnover of teachers and other colleagues, stressful work situation overall, great variability in terms of skill level of colleaguges, rising and high caseloads.
There have been a great deal of changes within CPS related to budget cuts that have resulted in caseloads/workloads that are impossible to reach the demands of. There are many Occupational Therapists with over 100 students across multiple schools on their caseloads. This used to be an amazing job to work but when it isn't possible to reach the needs of all of your students, it results in a lower quality of life and greatly reduced job satisfaction.
great place to work:
Full time substitute teacher - CPS (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2015
Pros: health talks, exercise in school and outside of school for all students.
Cons: non-working showers for students after exercise. What happen to time for that.
CPS needs to develop teachers willing to teach not strike. They need to do more monitoring of high school teachers and their methods of teaching. They also need a method of dismissing teachers with tenure who can no longer relate, change to better teach the students. I enjoy being with the students and I often got their cooperation and confidence. I gained their trust and they listen to my advise. My focus was on developing the student's self esteem and confidence in self. I believe as substitute teacher I accomplished that. I see the students today and they acknowledge me before I see them. That I enjoy. I once met one of my student in MN at Audi. He saw me first. I have ran into special edu students and they remembered me. One of them own a car wash which he said his uncle set up for him. How great that can be to find that student something he could do and help him do it. The hardest part of my job was watching tenure teachers not wanting to change methods so they could better teach.
Great Job
Special Education Classroom Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2015
i live working for Chicago Public Schools. This job is fun and rewarding and enjoy working with our youth. I've learned the many difficulties students with special needs go through and how it effects everyone around them. Working with administration in different schools is different. The hardest part of this job is watching a child be in pain and there is nothing you could do about it. The most enjoyable part of this job is watching a child smile.
An organized profesional would thrive at this organization
School Nurse (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Hours
Cons: Politics and unjust agenda
I work with a great group of professionls. No work day is the same. The student are a treat to work with on a daily basis. The best part of the joy are the students and parents. The job is not diffcult, one must be organized and focused to keep up with the pace of the work day.
Substitute teachers need flexible nerves of steel.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2015
Pros: One can plan their availability and has the option to accept assignments
Cons: Every day is a new day at a new location in a new class room with a different set of challenges.
Substitute teaching is a very challenging job. Although most schools will try to hold on to their favorite floating subs, most substitute teachers do not know where they will be assigned next. Furthermore, they may not find out the nature of their assignment (grade level, specific classroom, special education, etc.) until they get to the school. Sometimes there are lesson plans and/or resources ready for use, other times the substitute teacher has to make something happen. For this reason, substitute teachers need to be prepared for anything. Substitute teaching requires a lot of nerves. One can use it as a temporary source of income. I would encourage those who are interested in doing long term substitute teaching to simply consider becoming a full time teacher.
great
Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2015
Great place to work with good people. The benefits and perks were amazing. The children were wonderful, they just needed some TLC.
Observed and monitored the students on a daily basis.
Educational Support Personnel/Security (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Pay, making a difference in the students lives.
Cons: School budget cuts.
Being able to build relationships with the students and parents. Having an influence on impressionable young men and women before they enter college and the workforce.
Excellent Place to Work
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee), 42 West MadisonJuly 15, 2015
Excellent Place to Work. Very professional employees. Focused on improving the lives of children. Allows for individual growth.
Kids are always at the heart of what we do
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2015
I enjoy my experience working with CPS. Dispite what you hear in the news, the kids are always at the core of what we do. We make a difference in the future.
Over-All Job
Attendance Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2015
I loved my job. I became a family with my Co-Workers. I learned about different cultures, and learned the difficulty of losing young students.
Chicago Public Schools
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2015
Pros: compensation, benefits, job advancement
Cons: job security
Chicago Public Schools has it's pros and cons. The pay and benefits are appropriate. One major con is the job security, there is plenty of room for advancement.
CPS
Network Safety Operations Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2015
CPS Chicago Public Schools. 419,000 students. 40,000 employees. 650 schools.

Education Support and Operations.
cps.edu
Great
High School Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), CPSJuly 8, 2015
Teaching is a rewarding career and challenging career. Politics outside of the classroom make it hard. I am currently looking for a career change.
Typical Day at Work
Teacher Assistant II (Current Employee), 5300 S. LoomisJuly 8, 2015
Pros: influence children and display a passion of learning
Cons: low resources, standardized tests, opportunity for advancement
A typical day of work for me begins with a smile, hugs, and a pleasant good morning. I start the day with these things because so many children have a hard time at home and you need to make them feel comfortable coming into the educational realm every morning. After breakfast we can begin the journey of learning, whether it is assisting someone with undone homework or starting their day with new assignments. Throughout the day I am ready to move around the school and be ready to assist where I am needed. I have learned that you must be ready to resolve disputes, encourage, and just be a listening ear to the students at all times. At the end of the day I reflect on how things have gone and what I can do to make it a better tomorrow.
the students make your day staff is great
security officer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2015
Pros: go money, summers off
Cons: no pay in summer, only a 9 month job
the job is good summers off and the pay isn't too bad just if you have a boss that doesn't agree with you its bad until they leave or you do
OVERALL I'VE LEARNED ALOT IN THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY
ASSOCIATE LUNCHROOM MANAGER (Current Employee), 42 S. MADISON (7141 S. MORGAN- ENGLEWOOD AREA)July 7, 2015
Pros: ADVANCEMENTS TO GROW IN THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY
Cons: NOT ALOT OF CHANGES AS FAR AS THE FOOD THAT'S BEING PREPARED OR PROVIDED THROUGH OTHER DISTRIBUTORS.
BEING A FOOD SERVICE MANAGER HAS ALLOWED ME TO COME IN CONTACT WITH ALL AGES OF STUDENTS FROM GRAMMAR SCHOOL TO HIGH SCHOOL & WORKING AT AN ALL ACCELERATED BEHAVIOR CHARTER SCHOOL. CHICAGO PUBLIC SCHOOL HOURS WERE VERY CONVENIENT IN WHICH THEY FELL RIGHT INTO MY CHILDREN SCHEDULES OF GOING TO SCHOOL DAILY. CPS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY BUT MY GROWTH AND EXPERIENCES HAS TAKEN ME INTO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF EDUCATION FOR ME TO EXPLORE MORE OPPORTUNITIES THAT'S IN MY FIELD OF MY BACHELOR DEGREE
Teaching is saving lives!
Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2015
Good teachers! Taught many subjects to 8th graders. Students were eager to leave the school because they were prepared so well for high-school and the students knew they were.
Our Children; Our Future
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2015
Complicated but I love what I do . I love the children and their families that I serve. The children are eager to learn and the parents were open to the creative ways in which their children were learning.
it was a good time to be a Chicago Public School employee
Lunchroom Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 4, 2015
Pros: free lunches getting to see the all the food the kids ate
Cons: sometime breaks.no help when someone did not come to work
Learn a lot when i first started,as a L.R.A. Learned to cook and prep,and take care of customers.Managerment was good,and co-workers were very good to work with. The hardest part of the job was making sure all the kids ate on time. The most enjoyable part was the learning new ways to cook.
like the fact that they will take you to camp
Security Officer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 27, 2015
Pros: good learning
Cons: long breaks
like the fact that they will take care and talk me to the and I them about anything thats going on with you but the most part I like the fact that they help polple

1 2 3 4 5

About Chicago Public Schools

The Chicago Public Schools is the nation's third-largest school district and the second-largest employer in Illinois, with more – Read more

Chicago Public Schools Salaries