Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools Employee Reviews

Teacher
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2017
There are plenty of opportunities for professional development and lots of opportunities to write grants and do creative things in the classroom. Once the initial enthusiasm for teaching wears off, though, there's not a lot of room for advancement unless one chooses to go into administration. And if one stays in teaching at CPS, there seem to be new mandates that come down every four years or so that require teachers to totally revamp their educational approaches - and so burnout is a problem for those seeking to remain in the classroom for any length of time.
Pros
Professional Development Opportunities, Benefits
Cons
Management Directives, Lack of Respect from Community and Management
Teaching
Co-teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2017
A typical day at work for me is monitoring the students and assisting the teacher with assignments. Tutoring students who need extra support. I learned that this is not an easy job. Management helps as much as they can, I did work with some good teachers, but hardest part of the job is that the parents don't give the support that is needed. The most enjoyable part of the job when the students tell you thank you.
Pros
Off in the summer
Cons
Too many students in a classroom.
Exciting and interesting
Bus Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 31, 2016
Chicago Public Schools is a EXCELLENT place to work. I enjoy contributing to the success of our children. Also working with administrators and other staff to create a diverse learning opportunity for the students. Although the most challenging part is trying to create various ways to give our student the resources they will need to ensure their success and the enjoyable part is the outcome and the interest that the students show when they have the resources they need to succeed.
Pros
Meeting people, seeing smiles
Cons
3 months off
Unless you're upper management don't expect long term rewards
Career & Technical Education Academy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2017
The most enjoyable part about working for CPS was working with the children. The worst part was working with adults at the upper management levels who held their jobs purely for self preservation. Their motto should have been "Children Last"!
Pros
Trying to help children achieve their goals
Cons
Working with inapt upper management adults!
The job was more of a learning experience for me than my children,
Elementary & Secondary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2016
Developed individualized curricula that reflected the required State Standards and Goals of the Illinois Board of Education. Modified and implemented educational plans for students with special learning needs. Designed, implemented, and utilized various learning strategies and methodologies of effective classroom management, assessment, and cooperative learning modules.
Pros
Smile upon my learners faces...
Cons
Limited family participation in the inner city.
The school system has declined over the years
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT 2 / ADMINISTRATIVE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2017
The system could be a lot better if there was a more efficient management in place. All authority should come from the Central office, instead of Principals who have favorites and most cases run an unbalanced school
Pros
The enjoyment of working with children.
Cons
Principal have too much aurthority, especially when thet are not doing a great job.
stressful
LEAD SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2016
the top administration made decisions with no regard to culture of each environment. The business model for a large scale education system like CPS did not include the individual needs of each child. But demanded that the business model be used as standard for each student especially with regard to disciplinary actions.
Pros
worked with kids
Cons
top administration made poor fiscal decisions
Family setting
Lunchroom manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2016
A day at work for me is rush rush not only do I have to cook but I have paper work to do at the end of day. I don't know if I can say what I've learned because cook has been apart of life since childhood although I don't enjoy cooking when I do it I do it with love in my personnel and professional life. I love my co- worker we is a team. The hardest part of my job is not having enough hours, the mist enjoyable part is the students
Pros
Working with people that stand with on decision I make
Cons
Need more help in the kitchen
Working in CPS
Assessment & Curriculum Coordinator/Literacy Coach (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2016
It's by no means an easy process. The work that educators do is not something that any individual could fathom. Layer and layers of paperwork, protocol that many times doesn't make sense and initiatives that don't last for more than 3 years is frustrating especially when research states it takes 5 years to see change.

You get to a point where just being grateful that you have a job isn't enough because the your health and emotional well being suffer and it is definitely a thankless job.
Pros
No official hours in the summer, working with students that appreciate an education, providing a safe haven to children, empowering the next generation
Cons
emotional stress, endless paperwork, bureaucracy, and many others.
My days were full and very busy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2016
Working for Chicago Public Schools was the best part of my career. I had the pleasure of working with some of the most powerful administrators. My coworkers were always very supportive and we always looked out for one another. The children that I worked with were always very humble, while their may be some uncooperative students I still enjoyed every minute. The hardest part was just the uncertainty of holding on to your job.
Pros
Great peopl
Cons
Job security
Inconsistent, non-existent team work
Workforce Planner/Student Transportation (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 30, 2016
It takes everyone there a longer than expected time to get even the simplest of tasks done. Therefore, you are forced to just do them yourself in an effort to be efficient.

Only people that form clicks and groupies get promoted even if the experience or the expertise is there. I have watched hard-working people go unrecognized and under-appreciated simply because unfavorable bonds aren't formed with their superiors.

The hours can be cruel depending on the department.

Your ambition does not matter. There is no innovation involved and ideas are asked to be kept quiet. Furthermore, you aren't requested to work overtime; it is mandated during certain time of year regardless of your needs.
Pros
laid back environment
Cons
You're told what to do and how. No motivation, zero encouragement offered.
Exciting and energetic
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2016
Enjoyed working for the duration of my time. Work environment was a great combination of teamwork, assisting with family issues with the children, relationships that were builded with the entire staff and families.
Enjoyed going to my job to see all the students that loved seeing/communicating with me.
Pros
Dealing directly with students/children. Keeping them happy daily
Cons
No Breaks, unadppreciated
It started out fun when it was about the children.
Speech Language Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2017
At the beginning I love working here, I enjoyed working with the students. As the years progressed and administration was like a revolving door. The job seemed to turn into an array of paper work, files, and constant documentation.
Pros
Salary, summer, & holidays
Cons
administration and class size.
I love working with children
Administrative/Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2016
I love working with children. • Confer with parents and staff to discuss educational activities, policies, and student behavioral or learning problems. Enforce discipline and attendance rules.
• Observe teaching methods and examine learning materials to evaluate and standardize curricula.
• Collaborate with teachers to develop and maintain curriculum standards.
• Daily classroom aide, assist teachers, provides one on one or small group support to students.
• Provides additional support where help is needed throughout Vanderpoel.
• Cheer and Pompon coach.
Working for CPS was one of many great jobs you could have but do to all the changes in the system you should be very careful about working for the cit
BUS AIDE & EXTRA SUPPORT PERSONEL (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2016
Overall I'm still have a job just don't know for how long research,research, and more research. Educator is ine if the greatest career a person can have in my opinion but you have to have a passion for it.Each one teach one.
Pros
Healthcare is great, for Holidays, meeting new people daily, and salary is nice
Cons
Going to strike
Chicago Public Schools
Bilingual Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2017
The satisfaction of teaching young minds, seeing them develops and grow into productive members of society. Faculty is very supportive.The benefits are adequate, as is the salary. Materials for students were readily available. There are many opportunities for young teachers.
Great enviornmnet and relationships with staff and students
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2016
Working here at John Hancock College Prep is a blessing. We are currently in transition going from a neighborhood school to a selective enrollment school. The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing students succeed. Managment has be great, if one has any questions or concerns, they are always willing to listene. Co-workers are fantastic, alway willing to help one another. Throughout my career here at John Hancock College prep, I have learned that students feel diffrent everyday, this is the hardest part of the job as I have to adjust to the students.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Short staffed, budget
A busy day from start to finish. It makes the day go by fast.
Stationary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2016
I come in and check the Building Automotive System to see how the school is heating/cooling. I walk the building to make sure it is comfortable through out. The school is close to 300,000 square feet. On a daily bases we test the pool for PH. When needed we vacuum, add chemicals to the feeders. Any repairs that need to be done we do. Like plumbing (rodding out a clogged line, changing a p-trap), electrical (changing lights, changing ballast, outlets) & painting.

The faculty is very nice. They are friendly and they appreciate the work we do for them.

My co-workers are good people. They try very hard and they do their job to the best of their ability.

The hardest part is working on the roof in freezing weather.
medium sized legal department
Student Prosecutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2017
I generally enjoyed my experience at Chicago Public Schools. Very hierarchical system which sometimes created a delay in work production. Day to day experiences would generally be different due to types on behavior incidents that occur at Chicago Public Schools.
Great if you are able to stay at one school. Needs better pay espeically dealing with certain children.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2016
Some of the Children are horrible especially with this new disciplinary system. A child can commit 7 misdemeanors before you are instructed to write them up. Books are not available to all students. Social Studies no longer exist. And the students lunches can be inedible.
Pros
Students
Cons
Students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Chicago Public Schools Reviews by Location