Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools Employee Reviews

productive and fun working with all the student's making sure they receive a healthy breakfast and lunch.
Lunchroom Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 26, 2015
Pros: free lunches for the students
Cons: none
a typical day at work pulling my breakfast and lunch and to start preparing breakfast for 300 student's, after breakfast prep and prepare lunch, prepare fresh salad daily.the most enjoyable part of my job is when the student's tell me how much they enjoyed there lunch.
You Will Learn Alot About Yourself
Special Education Case Manager (Current Employee), ChicagoMay 20, 2015
I started my career with CPS at 24 years old, and I've learned a lot about myself in the meantime. You will learn very quickly whether you are cut out for the work involved in being an educator for this district. It can be very fulling, but you have to have the passion, heart, and compassion for those days that are really tough.
It was a pleasure to work for CPS, It taught me all the necessary traits that I have today.
Stationary Engineer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 18, 2015
Pros: It gave me the experience I have today, trained me with classes, and the education necessary for my Stationary Engineer title.
Cons: Co-workers that would not co-operate to make the jobs easier for all workers.
My co-workers were very hard working and co-operative in any field that I was assigned to. Each department did their job and the days were full and satisfying.

Any Chief Engineer were teachers with experience and their attitudes and dispositions were always positive. They followed the motto "if you don't succeed, try, try again".

The hardest part of the job to me was when someone was absent and I had to cover thier job also. But with anything, it was something that had to be done.
Interesting Opportunity
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 17, 2015
Pros: Mentoring and Touching young lives
Cons: Behavioral management
I enjoy working with children. Even though some of these children may be facing some challenging situations, I feel that I am honored to be able to assist them in their educational goals and to mentor them.
hard work
Guidance Counselor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 17, 2015
Pros: medical benefits
Cons: poor long range planning
Excellent start, lousy finish. AGEISM lefty me out in the cold looking in. I started as a teacher and became a counselor.
wqdqwedqw
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 12, 2015
Pros: qwedqw
Cons: wqeqwe
I am writing to share some transition news. I have recently accepted a new role in New Orleans, and will be making a move to the South this weekend. I will be taking on the role of Campus Director for Relay Graduate School of Education, New Orleans.

I am excited for the transition and new opportunity. I am intent on making my professional mark in HBCU leadership. This role, along
Working as an Educator
Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 12, 2015
A typical day of work was spent helping others reach their goals. I learned that you must have be compassionate and have a heart to work with people of any age. I have managed children/youth and I have collaborated with a team that had desires such as mine. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching others achieve. The hardest part of the job is working with those who will not work with you, but against you for selfish reasons.
jewel
Teachers Aide (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 11, 2015
jewels was one of my best jobs i worked all over from carts to cashiers...I worked with all type of people i worked from sun up to sun down..
Compensation benefits are ok
Business Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 8, 2015
Pros: Very rewarding
Cons: diminishing resources
Good place to work very rewarding and a sense of accomplishment after every school year. Due to budgets cuts had to do more with less
My Life starting with CPS
Executive Administrator/ Financial Budget Analyst (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 7, 2015
My working life with Chicago Public Schools was really exciting, motivating, educational and very inspirational. I loved working for CPS. The people that I interacted with on a daily basis and not just co-workers, were very enlightening. I met different people everyday. I experienced life changing motives that enable me to expand and move forward in my career. I moved up in the company rapidly. The most enjoyable part about my job, was being the "go to" person. I had the authority to make changes, help others, train new employees, solve problems and be apart of decision making with CEO and upper management. There were no difficult parts of my job that I did not like, that I can recall. I was a hard worker, always willing to be a team player and also had the pleasure of working with children.
My Summary of Chicago Public Schools
Full Time Substitute (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 7, 2015
Pros: Free Lunch
Cons: No benefits
Schools have hundreds of vacancies and because of politics and residency rules. Individuals with great skills and abilities can not become permanent employee.

I believe that if a sub is willing to commitment to long term assignments there should be some perks or benefits for the sacrifices being made to help.

I love making an impact on students and being a change agent in whatever school I am assigned. The hardest part of my job is the disrespectful students and some of their parents.
No job security but enjoy working with students, parents and staff.
School Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 5, 2015
Pros: good blend of individual/team projects
Cons: no job security
Administrative responsibilities/support to principal, faculty and staff including payroll generation, budgeting and procurement. Report directly to the principal. Challenging work environment that requires good time management, excellent interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
Students sent to the Dean's office for discipline reasons
Dean's Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 29, 2015
Scheduling detentions, speaking with parents, speaking with students, speaking with teachers and administrators. Hardest part of the job is speaking with parents.
Great Work place
Custodian (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 27, 2015
Great teachers, aids, and Helpers I had fun the time that I was employed. The community was great and the students respected the staff and the school
Exciting and a great learning environment
Youth Leader (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 26, 2015
I learned how to create an inviting environment for new students and how to be a leader in stressful situations. My boss was extremely nice and helpful through the job process.
Productive, Fun, Appreciative
Clerical (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 24, 2015
Pros: My own days and hours
Cons: Not enough work, temporary
Phones, working close with other Administrators
Importance of Early Childhood
Great and Appreciative
Fun and easy going
Heavy lifting before elevators
Enrolling new and returning students
Productive work place
School Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 21, 2015
not everyday in the educational world is the same
enjoyed helping parents and students
Under the general direction of the school principal, performs any of several specialized clerical functions in a large public school facility, or performs a variety of responsible clerical functions in a small public school facility; and performs related duties as required.
Productive Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 16, 2015
I follow the English Department's schedule. Daily I am apart of Co-Taught instructional classes where I supervise/observe/teach and am responsible for a caseload of student with learning disabilities to successfully pass high school courses. The most enjoyable part of my day is the interaction with the students and exposing them to highly prepared learning environments and tasks. When I am not in the classroom I am assisting the Case Manger with office related tasks and legal documents that go along with the compliance of individualized Education Programs per student.
education
Guidance Counselor Assistant (Current Employee), miles davis magnetApril 15, 2015
Provides direct support service to individual students, small groups, and classrooms,Provide direct service to students in the classroom
very nice place
building engineer class 1 (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 13, 2015
Pros: vacation days and days off
Cons: layoffs
once you find your rhythm its all down hill, great people i have worked with. would like to have retired from CPS.
found a great family there

1 2 3 4 5

About Chicago Public Schools

The Chicago Public Schools is the nation's third-largest school district and the second-largest employer in Illinois, with more – Read more

Chicago Public Schools Salaries