Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools Employee Reviews

Great depending on the school
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
Pros: great teachers and staff
Cons: somme of the kids where just bad
I had a great experience but for some that worked at bad schools they hated it. I really liked how all the teachers and staff worked together so that they could make the lives of the students better in every way possible.
Productive and enriching environment.
Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Summers off, rewarding career
Cons: No lunchroom, not enough time for each class
A typical day, is never all that typical. As a teacher, I plan well but allow for flexibility. I teach all subjects all day to a fourth grade classroom of up to 30 students. I ensure technology is incorporated into most lessons and students in this generation respond well to this learning mode.

I've learned that each student has different learning needs and levels. For this reason, I must differentiate instruction to meet their needs.

The management within my building is excellent. They are very supportive of teachers and students alike. I know that everything they do is within the best interest of the students. I have four direct co-workers. Each of them is more helpful than the last. We have worked together as a teach for three full years already.

The hardest part of of the job is when students are sick. We call home and, many times, parents are not able to come get them so watching them sit while sick is difficult.

The most enjoyable part of the day is when I teach reading. My students are at an age where they are starting to read more independently. They are really getting it and are so proud of themselves.
Diverse Work place
Diverse Learner Support Lead (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Great job dynamics
A very enjoyable job and one that allows you to support students, families and staff around special education best practices.
GOOD PLACE TO WORK
BUS AIDE (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2015
Pros: LIKE MY JOB WORKING WITH THE CHILDREN.
Cons: NEED A JOB THAT PAYS ALL YEAR ROUND.
I ENJOY MY JOB IT IS PART TIME WORK PAY IS GOOD. NEED ANOTHER JOB THAT PAYS ALL YEAR ROUND.HAVE ALL THE MAJOR HOLIDAYS OFF. I LIKE WORKING WITH MY SUPERVISOR, GOOD BENEFITS AND WEEKENDS OFF
Busy and productive work environment
Food Porter (Former Employee), Chicago , IllinoisAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Good Insurance
Cons: short break
Busy work place with fun staff. I learned to work efficiently in teamwork.The hardest part of the job was making sure the food was ready at lunch time to feed one thousand students. I enjoyed seeing the satisfied looks of the children after they ate lunch.
Teamwork makes the dream work.
Business Manager Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Coworkers
Cons: Part-time position
Typically when I get in, I have a string of emails to respond to, bus request forms to process, and any work leftover from the previous day. During the work day, students and parents come to me to pay all school fees. All of the office staff work together to keep the main office running efficiently.
Working with kids are the best!
Bus Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Children
Cons: 4 hours a day
Working with the board i had the chance to work with special needs children! They bring joy to your heart all the time! I enjoyed helping them everyday! Ridding on the bus with the kids to and from home.
Love and Left Out
Professional Counselor (Current Employee), ChicagoAugust 12, 2015
I was asked many years ago to become highly qualified, I did so by earning two Master's Degree's and after 20 years of service I was laid off, a nice reward for my loyalty to the children of CPS.
Productive environment the supports student learning
Volunteer Work (Current Employee), Chicago,ilAugust 9, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere, motivating and encouraging
Cons: None
I have volunteered at CPS for a period of time during my Educational experience.A typical day consisted of assisting the primary teacher with student support,grading papers and reading time.I learned a lot during my time working with the third graders.It was enjoyable watching them master new technique and develope problem solving skills throughout the year.I also enjoyed working with teachers in other grades and learning about the curriculum guidelines,standards of the schools and their mission.
Fulfilling work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), ChicagoAugust 8, 2015
My work at CPS was very fulfilling and heart felt. 50 percent of my job was to aid the children of Chicago find safe places to be after school and during the summer and winter break.
Productive and fast paced work place
Lunchroom Manager (Former Employee), Chicago ILAugust 7, 2015
A typical day at work is pretty fast paced there is very little down time after breakfast is over lunch has to be started immediately or otherwise the students will eat late. The most enjoyable part of the job is very rarely when the kids actually like something that is being served for the day
Great co workers that helped the time go by
Custodian (Former Employee), chicago ILAugust 5, 2015
Pros: co workers
Cons: job security
While working for CPS I really enjoyed my co workers. We always worked as a team and helped each other out. I really enjoyed having the weekends and most holidays off. The Bad part is there really not any job security. Every year you hear about people getting laid off.
Great Staff to work with, but there has been a large increase in paperwork for educators.
Educator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Great staff to work with!!
Cons: Need more preps or specials such as Art, Music, and World Languages.
Working as a teacher for fifteen years in the Chicago Public Schools system was a wonderful experience! I learned a lot from my co-workers, administrators, and my students too! Due to an
increase of statewide assessments and/or district assessments, new guidelines from the district, and an unbelievable amount of school closings, created an environment of tension and exhaustion. To maintain my passion for teaching and/or education, I decided to resign from CPS, seek other positions in other districts, and/or other avenues in the field of education.
Working with social and emotional program evaluation
Proctor Surveyor and Internal Evaluator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Opportunity to learn k-12 social and emotional issues
Cons: Large bureaucratic organization that is suffering budget loses and uncertainty
Great experience researching best practices to reach and influence teens given the diverse and changing dynamics of a large city environment and the impacts and effects of violence and other social challenges.
Excellent opportunity to learn, contribute and grow
Administrative roles (Former Employee), CitywideAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Public service, professional growth, exposure
Cons: Turnover, lack of organizational stability (all levels)
I was extremely fortunate to spend three very rewarding years serving CPS students and families in various roles. I had the opportunity to develop multiple skill sets including: project management, public speaking, coaching, community relations, event coordination, strategic planning, data analysis and more...
CPS is, above all, a DYNAMIC environment in which you can be offered an array of opportunities to stretch professionally and personally. Enter with a growth mindset and willingness to manage your own orientation. Be comfortable with blurred lines and be nimble and savvy enough to QUICKLY seek out your own mentors and allies (across departments, offices, networks and schools!) Be sure to document all of your work and achievements (which will more than likely be collaborative pieces) during your tenure in the district. Stay focused on your PURPOSE not politics. My purpose was to do the best work I could to improve outcomes and equity for students and school communities.
Challenging in this economic time period.
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Summers off, time off for winter break and spring paid (though, all of this is unpaid)
Cons: High turnover of teachers and other colleagues, stressful work situation overall, great variability in terms of skill level of colleaguges, rising and high caseloads.
There have been a great deal of changes within CPS related to budget cuts that have resulted in caseloads/workloads that are impossible to reach the demands of. There are many Occupational Therapists with over 100 students across multiple schools on their caseloads. This used to be an amazing job to work but when it isn't possible to reach the needs of all of your students, it results in a lower quality of life and greatly reduced job satisfaction.
great place to work:
Full time substitute teacher - CPS (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2015
Pros: health talks, exercise in school and outside of school for all students.
Cons: non-working showers for students after exercise. What happen to time for that.
CPS needs to develop teachers willing to teach not strike. They need to do more monitoring of high school teachers and their methods of teaching. They also need a method of dismissing teachers with tenure who can no longer relate, change to better teach the students. I enjoy being with the students and I often got their cooperation and confidence. I gained their trust and they listen to my advise. My focus was on developing the student's self esteem and confidence in self. I believe as substitute teacher I accomplished that. I see the students today and they acknowledge me before I see them. That I enjoy. I once met one of my student in MN at Audi. He saw me first. I have ran into special edu students and they remembered me. One of them own a car wash which he said his uncle set up for him. How great that can be to find that student something he could do and help him do it. The hardest part of my job was watching tenure teachers not wanting to change methods so they could better teach.
Great Job
Special Education Classroom Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2015
i live working for Chicago Public Schools. This job is fun and rewarding and enjoy working with our youth. I've learned the many difficulties students with special needs go through and how it effects everyone around them. Working with administration in different schools is different. The hardest part of this job is watching a child be in pain and there is nothing you could do about it. The most enjoyable part of this job is watching a child smile.
An organized profesional would thrive at this organization
School Nurse (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Hours
Cons: Politics and unjust agenda
I work with a great group of professionls. No work day is the same. The student are a treat to work with on a daily basis. The best part of the joy are the students and parents. The job is not diffcult, one must be organized and focused to keep up with the pace of the work day.
Substitute teachers need flexible nerves of steel.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2015
Pros: One can plan their availability and has the option to accept assignments
Cons: Every day is a new day at a new location in a new class room with a different set of challenges.
Substitute teaching is a very challenging job. Although most schools will try to hold on to their favorite floating subs, most substitute teachers do not know where they will be assigned next. Furthermore, they may not find out the nature of their assignment (grade level, specific classroom, special education, etc.) until they get to the school. Sometimes there are lesson plans and/or resources ready for use, other times the substitute teacher has to make something happen. For this reason, substitute teachers need to be prepared for anything. Substitute teaching requires a lot of nerves. One can use it as a temporary source of income. I would encourage those who are interested in doing long term substitute teaching to simply consider becoming a full time teacher.
Headquarters