Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools Employer Reviews

No complaints
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: if the budget gets cut you lose your job
great benefits, work culture alright, no room for gossiping, staff was always getting rewarded. great pay raises and benfits.
Summer Job After HighSchool Graduation
Janitor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2015
Landscaping
Maintenance Work
Working With My Hands
Working In Large Groups To Accomplish a Goal
Management of Custodial Staff
Lead Custodial Engineer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2015
Typical day included but not limited to monitoring staff throughout the day to ensure calls for cleaning were answered, work was completed in a timely manner and staff abided by all rules and regulations of the job code.
The interaction with the students was the most enjoyable aspect of the job.
Tutor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2015
Overall the productivity of the 2 schools where I was employed were classified as Turn-Around School referencing the fact that the school academic performance was lack-luster at best.
Different
Senior Auditor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: working for the children of the city of chicago
CPS is very different from working in a corporate environment.
Hard to keep job in a declining school system
Security Officer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 1, 2015
School supervisors fail to let security people do their job
I worked for the Chicago Public Schools for 15 years,
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 29, 2014
Working for Chicago Public Schools has been very interesting. I started working for the company as a Lunchroom Attendant and was promoted to the Cook position. Today I have been promoted as an Asisstance Manager. It has been a very good experience for me and therefore I am apprieciated for all of my hard work and dedication.
Fun
School Bus Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 22, 2014
I really enjoyed this opportunity. I loved working with children with disabilities and children without disabilities. Was able to be off work when my children were out of school. The pay was great.
Professional and Outgoing Team Player
Sub School Clerk (Current Employee), Chicago ILDecember 19, 2014
Pros: working with some amazing people
Cons: healthcare
Managing a school's office was challenging and fun. I can be creative and team oriented with the staff. My leadership abilities and delegate responsibility is what makes the office run. A typical day would be fast-paced. Working with parents,staff, teachers and students is very rewarding to me. I like being in control of myself and any situation that was placed into my hands. To be able to problem solve, trouble shoot and multitask, all at the same time proves my ability to be sharp, driven and organized within the school. I am the "face" of the school. I represent the school's office and I have to do so with poise, personality and professionalism. Treating everyone with dignity, respect, and honor with the right attitude with love in your heart and the right motives with the right work ethic, people walk in to the office and it doesn't go unnoticed. I enjoy most about my 20 years working with CPS is the lasting friendships and relationships that I have with the teachers, staff and students and I have made a difference over the years and I carry that with me and it speaks volumes. There is nothing hard about your job if you do it to the best of your ability.
Great job, but was temporary.
Health Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2014
I had no issues with this job at all. Work was fun, hours were great, and pay was the highest I've ever had. The only problem was that it was a temporary job based on funding from the government. The funding lasted long enough for me to have this job for about a year and 3 months.
Challenging
Engineering (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 17, 2014
Pros: good benefits
CPS brings a challenge every day, it is a great experience. It brings a great to way to grow with the company.
Too Political
Facility Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: constant change in management - politics
As FM, the days vary. Winter is busiest time of the year.

Upper management is always changing. New managers bring their ideas and people to implement. That's fine except the life span of the position is around two years.

I take pride in my role of impacting students' success (unbeknown to them).

The flexible schedule allows me to care for my aging mom and teenage daughter.
Area Facility Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 8, 2014
Review and modify facility duties. Review energy plans and evaluate engineers. Managed vendor relations for Chicago Public Schools.
Politically Driven and mis managed
Math Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2014
Teachers are over worked and held responsible for things that parents should be responsible for. Maintainance is understaffed, so buildings are not clean. Security is understaffed, students are in the halls roaming at all times.

Leadership is attempting to hold teachers accountable for hallway management.

Unfortunately, with privatization and politics, the condition of neighborhood schools is declining.
Teaching Kids is FUN!
Provisional Teacher (Full-time) (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2014
Pros: coached football
I worked as a full time provisional teach for the Chicago Public Schools. It was one of the best experience I ever had. You truly enjoy the knowledge that children absorbed, when their minds are open to education. It is always a joy to see your students when they have graduated and come back to tell you, the type of influence you had on their lives.
Never the same day twice
Cisco Networking Academy Instructor (Current Employee), Chicago South NetworkDecember 1, 2014
Pros: location
Cons: salary
Tough place to work but very rewarding.
Good benefits
170 work days each year
Lovely Summer, Winter and Spring breaks.
Lots of student initiatives
Clean buildings
Lots of student resources
Great students
Resident Requirement
Strong Union
Productive enviornment, professional and opportunity to learn
Board of Education, Attendance Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2014
A typical day would be putting a smile on a students face when they appear to be having a rough day. I learned that you have to treat the students with compassion, kindness and always willing to listen to their concerns. Management of school system is improving. My co-workers were easy to get a long with and respectful. The hardest part of a typical day would be not reaching a student in some kind of way. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is to be out in public and a former student comes up and speaks and gives me a hug and thanks me for working at their school.
Productive work environment. Assisting children with learning disabilities.
Special Education Classroom Assistant (SECA) (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2014
Aid teacher in guided lessons plans. Assist during lunch and recess. Learned how to adapt lessons to a variety of learning situations. Enjoyed seeing progress made in students daily lives.
The CTE Curriculum and Instruction team is amazing.
Manager of CTE Curriculum and Instruction (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 11, 2014
Pros: amazing teammates, great synergy
CPS offers individuals a chance to make a difference in the lives of hundreds of thousands of students. The CTE Curriculum and Instruction team is a cohesive unit, focused on outcomes. During my time as the manager of the team we were able to impact all CTE programs by aligning all programs to national industry standards and the Common Core State Standards in ELA.
Rewarding and Demanding
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2014
Pros: helping students become better people and more intelligent individuals.
Cons: grading!
My time at the Chicago Public Schools has been an invaluable experience. When I began my career, I worked as a Special Education Assistant, primarily in a one-on-one setting with students with varying disabilities. I found the work extremely rewarding, and became determined to attain the role of a Regular Teacher. After graduating with a degree in Elementary Education, I achieved my objective in the 2013-2014 school year. The classes of students I worked with last year will forever be engraved in my memory. Teaching can be demanding and exhausting, but the moments of revelation and discover from the students you've dedicated your time to, make all the work worthwhile. Last year's budget cuts forced many newly hired teachers into reduced roles, and I am currently working as a Substitute Teacher. Teaching is amazing, yet not having a group of students to commit myself to, is by far the most difficult thing I have thus encountered in the profession.

1 2 3 4 5

About Chicago Public Schools

The Chicago Public Schools is the nation's third-largest school district and the second-largest employer in Illinois, with more – Read more

Chicago Public Schools Photos