Chicago Public Schools Employee Reviews

The education field is a great opportunity. It is flexible, and allows future growth options. It comes with great benefits, and the staff is usual
CPS-Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2017
I had great success in education. So much so that inspired me to enroll in Graduate school (education). Although I'm not yet completed i intend too. This will allow even greater benefits for myself relative to my family.
This is a great work enviorment money and benefits could have been better but the rewards came when you could see the progress that the children made
Educator/Full Time Provisional Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60602November 19, 2017
I was a substitute teacher so I worked where and when needed, usually I would get a position that would last for the school year. there were no bad experience and I enjoyed teaching and planed to make it a career until I got married and needed better benefits. I was presented with the opportunity to work for HRDI family Case Management, a position that combined my two passions teaching and helping to enhance lives in our community.
Pros
Givening the opportunity to enhanse young mind, turning boy into young through coaching Football and Basketball, being a positive influnce in the lives of young black lives.
Cons
No cons!
School Administration
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2017
CPS students and parents were the BEST part of the job. The students loved to learn and my parents participated in their child's education. School Administration was unprofessional and lacked skills on enhancing student academic learning as a whole. Instead of enhancing student achievement and academics, administration felt it was more important to play politics, which hurt the students, instead of enhance the students.
Pros
Pay was decent, but not the best.
Cons
Poor school administration
Easy flowing with a lot of friendly people
Coaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2017
Typical day at work would be like a great workout. Learned to have patience with kids and their different attitudes. Management was great and always fun to be around. The most enjoyable part of coaching was being able to coach different sports and work with the kids.
Pros
getting praised for being a good coach
Cons
No health care
productive and fun place to work
SECA/Security (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the kids,learning new things and most important was keeping the attendance above 96%.i also learned that kids need positive role models.
Cps
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2017
A typical day of work with CPS was always fast paced and constant moving around. Never staying in one place for too long. I enjoyed working there.....
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management was all over the place
Good enough for just staying until you find something better
(LRA) Lunchroom Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2017
I can’t even give you a good review about this certain office in CPS, Nutrition Support Services. All I’m going to say is that this company is very unprofessional and you can only promote from within by only who you know or if you’re kissing someone’s butt or mixing business with pleasure. I’m seeking other employment right because of this fact. I have proof to back up everything I’ve said and witnessed. This job is a revolving door with not enough security at all.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Breaks your body down
Challenging and rewarding place to work
Health Service Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2017
Attended staff meetings, writing reports, assessing and managing the health of school age students. The most difficult part of the job was working within a system where the financial security and budget was uncertain.
Pros
Having a positive impact on the health of children.
Cons
Working with limited resources
Excellent environment to appreciate diversity
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2017
A typical day is fast paced and full of exciting challenges. An ability to learn and experience many diverse situations. Nice coworkers and support of management.
Youth Leader (High School Summer Job)
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2017
Students have the chance to work for CPS during the summer as a Youth Leader for their high schools Freshman Connection. The job requires a fingerprint background.

Want to know more about Chicago Public Schools?

Ask a question
Kids first is a joke!
Educator/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2017
I’ve had a series of bad principals at an underperforming school. I’m currently trying to get out. If your administration is truly committed to the students you may have a different experience but if they aren’t it’s not a good environment. Teachers who are trying to teach and hold the students accountable are often scolded for doing this. If you can get in a top tier school it might be better.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Lack of resources, poor leadership, toxic work environment
Productive, balanced work environment
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2017
I am currently still employed here and I truly love my job and the environment. Not only do I enjoy working with children but I am a professional and I love helping people.
Family like work environment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2017
Producing meals according to daily menu while having positive and inviting interaction with students. There's nothing hard about the job and the most enjoyable part is seeing the satisfaction on the faces of students after consuming my prepared meals
Pros
making a difference in students life one meal at a time
Cons
leaving my students
Excellent teamwork and very productive.
Senior Payroll Analyst, Payroll Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2017
A typical day to audit and process all employees paycheck from earning to deduction to strive for 100% error rate. Our mission and vision is employees first. The hardest part of the job is making a mistake and calling the employee to explain.
Pros
Flexible hours and paid holidays.
Cons
No social life.
Productive warm loving atmosphere
Miscellaneous Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2017
Working for this company is joyful. I enjoying helping out with the children at the school. I learned you have to have patience when working with kids. My co-workers is my second family, I love my co-workers. I enjoy my job, being able to assist parents with questions and concerns. My management team is awesome, they are very caring about their staff.
Never again
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2017
Teaching in general has gone downhill, but at CPS, the hill is steep and the standards are rolling down that hill at a faster rate. Although the pay is good, the expectations are crazy and not realistic.
Stressful due to Budget Constraints
Various Positions Held (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2017
The environment at CPS is continually stressful depending on where the legislature and City of Chicago are poised on funding issues.

This can make a job more difficult when you are not sure whether you will be asked to make cuts mid year.
Outstanding Principal
Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2017
Supportive and fair principal. One of the best teaching experiences I have had. Difficult situation to start (teaching from a crate, moving room to room with no passing period time), but once I got a classroom, it could not have been a more perfect situation. I left because district policies regarding closed enrollment took my room from me & I could not bear to pull back on the progress my program had developed.
Pros
Supportive environment
Cons
Loss of classroom
It was a very hard but rewarding experience.
KINDERGARTEN TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2017
It was difficult but it was very rewarding. There was not enough support from management but good support from co-workers. A lack of supplies was a problem in many cases. My favorite part of the job is when you see progress in the student.
Multicultural environment conducive for learning
Coordinator of Special Projects (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2017
multicultural and well rounded environment. I often had the opportunity to assist in different capacities which made the job more exciting. Assisted as hall monitors, supporter of school activities, games, performances, etc., mentor to students, sphere-headed school fundraisers and often served as a communication liaison for educators and principal.
Pros
multitask oriented
Cons
excessive traffic at end of school day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Chicago Public Schools Reviews by Location