Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools Employer Reviews

Chicago Public School Is a wonderful place to find work and meet new people everyday
Clerk in the Special Education Department (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2014
Pros: excellent learning structure
Cons: job security (budget crisis)
My typical day of work requires me demonstrating the ability to meet organizational objectives, goals, and demands on a daily basis.

I am also entrusted with the duty of assigning Substitute Teachers within the school,office duties, and other services. I am a team player and I have worked on many high performance teams. I enjoy working with the staff, – more... students, and parents.

After school I am the Head Cheerleader coach I meet with 15 young ladies daily, we perform for events throughout the school year, and participate with all sports during the season as needed. – less
Very fulfilling place to work for.
School Clerk (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2014
School clerk deals with Parents,Teachers and Students. I ran the front office and dealt with many issues from everyone including the staff. Kept me busy and never a dull moment.
Great Schools and Staff
Child Welfare Attendant /Bus Aid (Current Employee), High SchoolJuly 11, 2014
I love the entire CPS . I have had the chance to work at many different schools , including elementary and high schools . I am honored , and enjoyed all of my experiences with teachers, principals and for the most part the students
A great place to work
Parent Advocate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2014
My employment at Chicago Public Schools was fast-paced, sometimes challenging but a great rewarding experience which lead to a nurturing and confidential relationship with my students.

The work atmosphere with my co-workers was developed into a family style commitment.
The area for the special needs student was very cluttered but we managed to remain on task and accomplish 90% of the goals set forth.
Special Education Assistant II (Former Employee), Chicago IllinoisJuly 7, 2014
Pros: this job kept me involved with my intresnst, the field of education . i enjoyed it !
Cons: the environment at the school was not conductive to learning. it was very unorganized.
My typical day at work would include , but was not limited to assisting a student with special needs remain focused to attempt the task set forth by the classroom teacher.
If you have children the schedule is great.
Lunchroom Attendant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2014
My work day starts at 8:00am I come in and get prepared to work with food. I am the person that prepares the different sandwiches and wraps. I have to prep the the needed which includes washing and cutting up my lettuce and tomatoes and whatever else is needed for that particular sandwich. Ones I'm done with that I help whoever needs help. I then go – more... upstairs where we will be serving the children. I work the canteen which is where we sell snacks that the kids can buy. I have to prepare my slushie machine,my cooler, and my rack. I then open for business. Once all four lunch periods have been served I break down, clean up, count whats left, and the prepare my bank and deposit. I go downstairs and prepare for the following day. I have learned quite a bit I have learned the inter workings of a kitchen and how it should and should not be ran. My manager is great she goes above and beyond the call of duty. However CPS management is changing and with new technology being used its hard for the older managers to keep up. I have worked with some good people. The hardest part of my job is dealing with so many troubled people. I enjoy working with food and making it look pretty and the conversations that I sometimes have with the kids they are hilarious. – less
stay out the politics
Interim Principal (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2014
Like I said in the previous review, as long as you stay out of the politics things will be good. Go to work run you school and you will be good.
Work Life Balance
School Project Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2014
Management support to maintain a healthy work life balance is challenging.
very productive and fun
Bus Aide (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2014
Everyday I had to meet my students at their stop I would get off the bus and greet my students. I learned how to manage not just my students but also juggling more that one task at a time. I had to maintain order of my students while helping a student that has seizures. My coworkers were always helping me get my 13 children on and off of the bus safely – more... when we arrived at the school. The hardest part of my job was making sure that my students were safe at all times. The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with my students. They made each day wonderful just being able to greet them in the morning and see them smile as well as dropping them off with a smile. – less
I acheived personal growth because I was compelled to lead by example
In-school Suspension Coordinator/ Office Support (Former Employee), Engelwood Neighborhood- Chicago IllinoisJuly 2, 2014
Pros: the relationships i developed with my students
Cons: the system doesnt provide the basic needs/ supplies to support the students
A typical day involves constant conflict resolution and pro-active hand-on interaction. The students were in a poor urban area and I provided behavioral guidance, direction, compassion,and school supplies etc. I arrived at that school knowing the students would need emotional, behavioral, educational and financial support from me. I soon learned that – more... they taught me how to be more patient, understanding. The most rewarding /enjoyable part of the job was watching the students grow into adulthood and strive to do better. – less
clerical work
Substitute Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2014
proactively assisted parents, teachers, students. As well as the principal and assistant principal. From answering phones to doing day by day duties.
Teaching: Hard, yet Enjoyable work
Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 30, 2014
Pros: rewarding vocation and profession
Cons: short breaks that aren't really breaks
I love being a teacher. It is very rewarding, yet hard work. It keeps you very busy. You have to learn to create your own balance between work and home. You can very easily become overworked. Co-workers are part of what make the work enjoyable. You must be dedicated to changing the lives of the students you teach! A teachers work is never done. So expect – more... to work some weekend, holidays and during the summer. But remember to take time out for yourself and the people and things that matter to you. – less
Productive environment
Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 29, 2014
Pros: summer break
Cons: never ending work day.
An enjoyable place to work. A typical work day starts at 7:45 and didn't end some days until 6:00pm.
Very Informative work enviornment
INTERN (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 26, 2014
Pros: working with numbers, hours
Cons: load of work, many interuptions
I was hoping to learn about CPS budget administration and I was very impressed with the information I was given. Hands on experience was very enjoyable. My supervisor was very detailed, which made it easier to understand this new information. She work only with numbers, buckets and monthly statement and I enjoyed this very much.
Bilingual Education Leader enjoys a weekly staff reflection with free lunches for teachers
Resident Principal, New Leader (Current Employee), Chicago, IllinoisJune 25, 2014
Pros: free after school programs and extra curricular activities
Cons: contractual rules that impeded instructional success
A typical day at work is highlighted by engaging parents, teachers and students through dialogue in the process of equal access to a quality education. What's most exciting is the celebrity status I have at my site; everyone knows and call out to say hello. Some students even reach out for a hug. I have learned that the life of a teacher and an administrator – more... varies immensely even though the intended outcomes are the same, "educate the children." As a classroom teacher I managed, engaged and interacted with a small community of learners every year. First, we became a family, then we spent an entire year sharing and caring about each other, then we said your sad goodbyes. Subsequently, the year begins again and another group completes the cycle year after year. Hellos and Goodbyes"

As an administrator, I serve a more expansive community, the demand for personalized attention becomes greater, while increasing the pace of the school environment. My responsibility is now all classrooms, all students, all parents and the entire community--those external partners as well, how do I engage them all, "how do I get buy in," even from Walmart, and Jewel etc?

The need to build trusting relationships among all stakeholders; students, teachers, parents, LSC, BAC, PACs, and board personnel become extremely important factors in achieving success. Moreover, the key constituents-- parents and teachers require different levels of coaching, coupled with persuasion. Some parents need guidance and information on how to educate and discipline their children. Meanwhile, teachers must be supervised, monitored and introduced to the new motivational instructional strategies, which sometimes require modeling. Based on observations I have learned that teachers greatest trial is how to "differentiate" their classrooms, so that all children could have equal access to the core curriculum."

The hardest part of the job is observing some families' lifestyle and how this influences and impacts the children's lives. The task at hand embodies efficacy, changing their mindsets. The most difficult challenge is having teachers embrace the Common Core Standards and understand how their roles have now evolved into facilitators. In other words moving away from "teacher run" to students' centered classrooms.

The most enjoyable part of my job is observing children in an authentic learning setting, where ideas are being exchanged and their voices and opinions are the loudest in the classroom. In this learning environment, the stage is dominated by children teaching children (peer tutoring) while teachers cheer and encourage them.

This typical classroom's noise echoes students' excitement about learning, while exploring in the process. In this classroom, they feel safe to make mistakes, when they blunder along the cognitive road, they show courage to become engaged again without hesitation and embarrassment. The excitement children show when they have accomplished a learning task and/or mastered a skill is the best and greatest joy for me as an administrator.

Cheers! – less
Love Kids
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 18, 2014
Making sure the kids have enough food, some was homeless and some only have the meals when they come school, love helping them out with food when I could to make sure they was good and full
Very fun place to work, we where like family.
Senior Database Analyst (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 18, 2014
Pros: my schedule, no saturdays
Cons: every year waiting to find out if you got laid off due to budget cuts.
I always get to work half hour early to be ready for the day.
I learned so much in my years A Chicago Public Schools, but the one thing that is with me until this day is the how we worked together as a team.
I love working with numbers, processing invoices and overall just loved my job.
the only hard part was when I got laid off.
Teach
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 13, 2014
 Participated in ongoing collaborations and articulations with administrators, special education teachers, support staff and paraprofessionals in regards to the needs of students and offering prompt responses
 Communicated appropriately with students in regards to their academic and behavioral expectations and goals, as well as, communicating strategies – more... for working towards expectations and goals.
 Established developmentally appropriate instructional and behavioral expectations for students and communicating those to students and their families.
 Assessed students’ developmental, cognitive and social needs and providing developmentally appropriate instruction to meet those needs.
 Created lessons and learning environments that are safe, respectful, and interesting as well as multicultural/gender and ability fair/developmentally appropriate
 Selected, adapted, and individualized materials appropriate for diverse student populations and skill level
 Planned for IEP meetings, created and updated IEP information, and accessed IEP goals. – less
Business Manager (Former Employee), Al Raby High SchoolJune 10, 2014
Pros: team meetings
It was pleasant working for CPS at Al Raby High School. I've worked there for 10 years and CPS continuously changed, rather it was the staff members, software, or departments. Always learning different programs.
Unbearably awful
withheld (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 10, 2014
Pros: reasonable rate of pay, the pension is a good deal
Cons: everyone in chicago will hate you for good reason
Worst place in the world to work. The HR department is akin to Stassi. The top management is incompetent. Don't get used to your colleagues because if they have any skills, they'll leave soon. Get used to being overworked, underpaid and undercut at every turn.

1 2 3 4 5

About Chicago Public Schools

The Chicago Public Schools is the nation's third-largest school district and the second-largest employer in Illinois, with more – Read more

Chicago Public Schools Photos