Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools Employer Reviews

Productive and a fun place to work/
Security Officer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: nice lunch breaks
Cons: not enough time off
Working with CPS was a rewarding and exciting place to be. The staff was always professional and the children sweet most of the time.
Productive and interactive
Special Ed Bus Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2014
Everyday was something different as in working with special needs students but also was a joy to work with many great and supportive professional within the CPS school.
Substitute special Education Classroom Assistant (Current Employee), ChicagoSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: education, students, change
Cons: bad children
Productive, Friendly Place to meet different students and staff
Needs more resources and services for children and families
Social Worker Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2014
Need more social workers, case managers, school-wide restorative justice, community resources and services for families are essential.
12 years at CPS
Elementary Lunchroom Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: medical benifits
Cons: always have broken equipment
A typical day for me at CPS is repetitive. Ive learned alot here and after 12 years i need to expand. The highest I can go is High School. I have decided to move on to high Schools this year but if something better comes along then im willing to retire from food service at CPS. The hardest parts of the job is the equipment continuously breaking down. – more... Out of all of the schools ive worked in there were never any new equipment, always something refurbished.
I would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job are the little children. They can be hilarious. They can make my day a little bit better because they are adorable, sweet, honest and kind. I enjoy seeing them grow. I will surely miss them as i move on but will always carry them in my heart. – less
Excellent Benefits
Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2014
1) Staff meeting - take notes from meeting compose and distribute to mgmt. Audit fraud hotlines, compose and report findings to mgmt. Maintained database for CIU & EIU depts.
2)Interaction without confrontation
3) Excellent
4) Resourceful yet Predictable
5) Leaving it
6) Daily Activity
Exceptional and inspirational
Director, Financial Literacy Initiatives (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2014
As I was involved in many aspects of administration within my position, I found my duties became more and more involved with students' continued education and self-esteem.

A truly gratifying tenure, which motivated me to re-locate (upon request/recruitment of the CFO) to Los Angeles, to transfer some of my efforts/programs to the students of Los Angeles.
Fulfilling work life
Special Education Classroom Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2014
I enjoyed my time in CPS because I was making a difference in the lives of children. I enjoyed going to work because I believe I worked among some of the best educators in the Chicagoland area, all staff members were dedicated to their jobs and they were a pleasure to be around.
Love investing in the students
Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2014
Pros: enjoyed investing in our future generations lives
Cons: school closure
A typical day at work beagn with checking voicemails and email. Returning phone calls and emails as neccessary. Input student attendance from each class and follow up call with students that are absent. In addition to Organizeing School based meetings and assisted with preparation of agendas for various school activities. Lastly,Performed Clerical activities – more... to support Principal and Staff. – less
Nice place to work
School Clerk Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2014
Pros: career growth
Cons: yearly lay-offs
Great organization that allows room for growth and development. Too many lay-offs and very political.
A place to encounter many dedicated teachers, administrators and support staff.
Administrator and Consultant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2014
My experience working with colleagues at CPS has been overwhelmingly positive because most of the people are hard working and dedicated employees who care about students, schools, and the city of Chicago. It can be stressful because there are often management and strategy changes that need to be implemented quickly and not always effectively or efficiently.
I alway have enjoyed working with children and people its my passion.
School Social Service/Counselor Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2014
Pros: 45min lunch.. free parking.... good people
Cons: braking up fights.... parents going to far, bugets getting cut
A typical day begin with breakfast with the children monitoring them as they arrive and insuring they all arrive to class safely. I've learned whatever happen the children always come first.... and always stay alert and ready for the uninspected. Always be a team player and put your best foot forward. My most enjoyable part is watching the children – more... learn and come back for more. – less
good work place
teachers aid (Former Employee), chicago ilAugust 20, 2014
love giving children the educatijon they need in life and giving them knowledge
Productive and Energizing
Community Representative (Current Employee), Chicago, IllAugust 18, 2014
Pros: education reimbursement, supportive management
Cons: short breaks
The days in school are never ending. But I have been fortunate to work under an administration that supported growth in education and advancement within CPS. Our staff is hardworking and dedicated working many days overtime to accommodate students. The hardest part of this job is that nothing stays the same. Their are constantly changes in plans, student – more... situations and parent conferences. If is imperative to stay in control and stay flexible at all times. With all the hard work it is wonderful to see the transformation of the parents and students that we service. – less
very productive and life experience
Safety and Security Officer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
Working at this company is very productive and life experience
fun workplace I meet bill cosby.
Committee Member (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2014
Pros: free food.
Cons: summer job wish it was longer.
went to different schools helping teachers and Bill Cosby set up the stage for his talk with men and boys
Great Learning and Teaching Environment
Tutor/Clerk/Teacher/Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2014
Pros: wonderful students, schedule, and parent participation
Cons: underpaid
As a child I always played School with my siblings, so to actually be a Teacher in real life was everything I thought it would be and more. I had such wonderful students and their parents were great. It was an honor being able to play a part in the children's educational growth.
Enjoy working with elementary school students Prek-8th grade
Substitute Teacher/Assistiant Pre-k Teacher (Current Employee), ChicagoAugust 10, 2014
Pros: being appreciated throughout the yaer
Cons: not enough breaks
A typical day is assisting students with breakfest, taking students down to classroom in orderly manner, help them wash there hands and put bookbags away, lead small groups doing reading, writing, math, letters and numbers, pass out prepared lunch assist in serving, music and art,help students in music ,gym and computer classes. I have learned to work – more... with children in all grades and deal with parents when they have concerns.I would like to have more communication with my co-workers. I enjoy sharing ideas and concerns about the school and students. The hardest part of the job is when there are behavior problems and there is no help from parents or administration. I enjoy helping students learn to read, wirte and learn the basics and seeing the smile on students faces when they get it. – less
great overall performance
sales executive (Former Employee), Chgo,IlAugust 7, 2014
Pros: free lunch programs, great employee benefits.
Cons: healthcare, short-breaks, short-lunch hours.
great job possibilities in this particular field I am interested in. And great aspects and performances...
daily feeding
Lunch Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2014
to make sure the children is feed in a timely manner. to work with the other co workers to make sure the kitchen was cleaned back up and ready for the morning.

1 2 3 4 5

About Chicago Public Schools

The Chicago Public Schools is the nation's third-largest school district and the second-largest employer in Illinois, with more – Read more

Chicago Public Schools Photos