Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Poorly run, ineffective, politically influenced.
teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2015
A horrible career that I would not advise anyone to choose. The Chicago public school system is failing and is run by people who have not had hands-on experience within the classroom. Our children are being punished by a set of rules that administrators know are ineffective.

Most days you work 10 to 11 hours just to keep from falling behind. On your days off you are expected to work on assignments that will be needed for the upcoming week.

It is a job where you will continually be evaluated and critiqued with minimal opportunities for growth or appreciation. You will no longer have time that is not consumed by "another thing" that still needs to be done.

Too much politics and no job security.
Pros
days off
Cons
always threatened with losing jobs/ layoffs
Wonderful Workplace/ Uncsecure
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE CHIEF OF SCHOOLS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2015
CPS is a great place to work. It huge which means that there is much room for advancement and growth. The salary and the benefits are competitive. However, it is not a good place if you are looking for stable employment.
People leave the company because of management
SENIOR INTERNAL AUDITOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2015
They need to reshuffle management. People leave CPS due to lack of descent senior management. Too much nepotism and not enough talent. The salaries are well below average. If there is a budget crisis in the city, don't look for a raise.
Pros
healthcare costs
Cons
healthcare appointments and lack of privacy
Tyrannt Principal
SECA /Substitute Teacher K-8 (Former Employee) –  OKeeffeOctober 31, 2015
days started with meetings before your start time that you did not get paid for but were required to attend "She" called the school her "Queendom" and made it clear it was her way or the high way. The children were treated in a selective manner as if they did not fit into the principals definition of a likeable child them they were somehow "trouble" or as she put it if I don't like them then there is something wrong with them. The diverse learners were underserved and the IEP's were not followed. Those of us who dared to mention or complain were put on the short list not to return. Management was clique of its own. 12 teachers gone the 1st year 13 the 2nd year The hardest part of the job was watching people you work with who were new to the workforce struggle and give up what they thought was going to be their life long career co-workers were strangers you barely had time to connect. It shouts volumes about school reform and the turn around schools system in Chicago.
Pros
The wonderful diverse learner students and LBS staff
Cons
All of administration they create the problem
Currently in a state of Flux.
Certified School Nurse-Lead Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 5, 2016
CPS is currently in a financial crisis. Job security is unsure. The current nursing management is awesome, however workloads and student safety as a result of position cuts is worrisome.
Not a great place to work more than 2 years
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, DowntownSeptember 14, 2015
This is a good place to get a good start on your resume, or to beef it up. This is not a career type of place. You have to get what you can out of it and move on - revolving door. The benefits are ok. This was a very fast paced environment, no nonsense atmosphere. Not much development or growth. Lots of hard work for last minute rushed projects. This is a who you know atmosphere for higher level positions. I learned how to stay on my toes, be a professional, to be proactive, to anticipate next steps and solve problems. I learned the importance of trust and confidence as well as being very detailed and keeping impeccable records. CPS is a huge company, easy to get lost in the shuffle. Company seems to cater more to people with children.
Pros
close to public transportation, lots of different food
Cons
It gets very cold in the winter months
Productive and positive environment
Certified Special Education Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2015
I worked one on one with students assisting teachers based on their preferences and needs. I worked with colleagues who were flexible and collaborative. My team was strong, and that was reflected in the progression and goals met by my students. Relationship with management was open and strong which made the the culture of my school a productive and nurturing environment.
Pros
Collaboration among staff and parent involvement
Cons
No benefits
Always busy and active which made day go by fast.
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2016
My day was never the same. There were many times multi-tasking was required. Preventative maintenance was something that I was involved in daily. With children being present at all times, bathroom facilities were one of my top priorities, due to broken latrines and sinks. Electrical Exit lights and classroom lighting was a typical daily performance. Boiler and maintenance of belts, filters and changing motors was something that had to be attended to frequently.
Everyday was a learning experience which kept things interesting and fulfilling.
The management would be of assistance if needed but if the job was be taken care of they minded to their own business. I always had their respect and they had always had mine.
The hardest part of the job was that I was on call twenty four hours if any of the alarms went off and at times had to attend to it in the middle of the night.
The self satisfaction that I would get on performing a good job and accomplishing what I had set out to do.
Pros
The staff was always respectful and fair.
Cons
At times there were children that would not abide by rules that were presented.
Opportunity
Porter (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2016
I very much do enjoy my coworkers as well as the children i provide food too. But the thing I enjoyed most about this job was accomplishing one of my short term goals which was purchasing a vehicle. This job has made it possible now I am looking for better opportunities to make more money and accomplish my next goal.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Would be better if it were dependable
Administrative Assistant/ Data Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2016
I enjoy working here however, The times of not knowing whether work will be available to us after a certain time period is very stressful and requires a lot of workers to seek out more reliable careers.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Limited work at multiple times a year/ Layoffs
My experience at CPS
Office Assistant, Chief Executive Office (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 1, 2016
I really enjoyed working for the CEO and all of my co-workers in that Department. We all worked together as a team to get the job done. There was opportunity for growth, and I learned a lot while working there. It was an overall great experience. I
Very good experience, gained vast knowledge in quite a few areas.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 26, 2016
Interacting with co-workers, students and faculty. Learned time management skills and techniques in maintaining the cleanliness of the grounds and insides of schools. I enjoyed interacting with students and being able to add to their learning environment. Leaving when the school closed. My manager was well respected and provided great leadership.
Design to promote growth and development of students.
Certified School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2016
Providing academic and nursing services to students with special needs as well as general education students, allows them to flourish and achieve academic goals.
I have learned to be flexible and utilize an collaborative approach in establishing the best objectives for the student. I also understand the importance of time management.
Institutions require employees to be productive and work together for the betterness of the organization and the people they service. I am an approachable person, who knows how to be receptive of others and maintain a professional demeanor.
The hardest part of my job is lack of resources. However, I find ways to get the job accomplished.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see in the faces of my students that they understand the information that has been shared with them.
Flexible and friendly
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2016
For the most part, CPS provides you with what you need to successfully substitute for an absent teacher. A typical day requires me to following lesson plans and provide a safe environment for students.
I've learned that when you sub, most students think its a free day. Most of the schools provide support for students that decide that they are going to "turn it up" since the regular teacher is not there.
Most of the teachers will offer assistance if needed and provide their name and their location.
The hardest part is when there is no availability of support to offer for students who are disruptive.
The enjoyable part is when I'm able to help a student complete assignments that they may need assistance to complete.
Great experience! Learned lots, helped many and great colleagues.
Guest Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2016
In a typical day at work in my last position as Guest Relations Specialist no two days where ever the same while providing assistance to guests, whether it be employees, parents, vendors or students, I learned from many of the departments within CPS while assisting with inquiries. During my time with CPS I was presented with opportunities that enhanced my skills. Always had great leaders and co-workers. The most difficult part of my job was the instability due to changes with reorganizations. Having taken part in working with programs and systems to help the students and staff in our school district was the most rewarding.
Pros
Working with a great group of people who are strong team players
Cons
Lack of funding which results in closing of positions
Productive and enriching environment.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
A typical day, is never all that typical. As a teacher, I plan well but allow for flexibility. I teach all subjects all day to a fourth grade classroom of up to 30 students. I ensure technology is incorporated into most lessons and students in this generation respond well to this learning mode.

I've learned that each student has different learning needs and levels. For this reason, I must differentiate instruction to meet their needs.

The management within my building is excellent. They are very supportive of teachers and students alike. I know that everything they do is within the best interest of the students. I have four direct co-workers. Each of them is more helpful than the last. We have worked together as a teach for three full years already.

The hardest part of of the job is when students are sick. We call home and, many times, parents are not able to come get them so watching them sit while sick is difficult.

The most enjoyable part of the day is when I teach reading. My students are at an age where they are starting to read more independently. They are really getting it and are so proud of themselves.
Pros
Summers off, rewarding career
Cons
No lunchroom, not enough time for each class
Good environment for change yet leadership is unstable
Preschool Classroom Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2016
A typical day may go smoothly until a person in leadership pulls you to the side to discuss things that do not benefit the children or the betterment of the school system. I learned that although I worked in a school that everyone was not concerned about children actually learning. Sometimes it's just politics. I was not under very good management. My co-workers were influential and supportive. The hardest part of the job was knowing that some people in charge really don't care about children. The most enjoyable part about the job was the appreciation I received from parents.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Administration
Excellent opportunity to learn, contribute and grow
Administrative roles (Former Employee) –  CitywideAugust 1, 2015
I was extremely fortunate to spend three very rewarding years serving CPS students and families in various roles. I had the opportunity to develop multiple skill sets including: project management, public speaking, coaching, community relations, event coordination, strategic planning, data analysis and more...
CPS is, above all, a DYNAMIC environment in which you can be offered an array of opportunities to stretch professionally and personally. Enter with a growth mindset and willingness to manage your own orientation. Be comfortable with blurred lines and be nimble and savvy enough to QUICKLY seek out your own mentors and allies (across departments, offices, networks and schools!) Be sure to document all of your work and achievements (which will more than likely be collaborative pieces) during your tenure in the district. Stay focused on your PURPOSE not politics. My purpose was to do the best work I could to improve outcomes and equity for students and school communities.
Pros
Public service, professional growth, exposure
Cons
Turnover, lack of organizational stability (all levels)
Very Team Focused
Special Education Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2016
This was a great employer to work for. Unfortunately, the owner sold the business. Management believed in everyone's potential and they believed that everyone can do anything through the cross trained atmosphere.
Productive work environment
Teacher Assistant - Dvorak School of Excellence (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2016
Great place to exchange classroom ideas. Community was supportive and the family were welcoming and excited about the new administration. Afterschool programs were great and school culture and climate were on the rise!