Chicago Transit Authority Employee Reviews in United States

Stressful Work Enviornment
Combined Rail Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2016
Typical Day at work be centered around time management and troubleshooting of rail equipment. The Hardest part of the job was the long hours and uncertainty. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people daily.
Pros
Salary
Cons
It's what happens when you can't afford your best employees.
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 24, 2015
The job I did was fine and I appreciate them having enough faith in me with allowing me to work on projects I proposed. If you do well there, you can stay there for life. However given the organization it is, it is unable to pay their engineers a competitive wage. This leads to a lot of good employees leaving and less qualified employees taking advantage of the job security. However, the engineering department overall had a good team as well as a phenomenal Chief Engineer to keep everyone on task. I would go back if there was a position that was within my field.
Pros
job security, free use of the CTA rails, intrinsic reward in helping the city
Cons
pay less than stellar, some frustrating policies and employees that will impede progress
Chicago Transit Authority
SENIOR MANAGER, COMMUNICATIONS/ CONTROL CENTER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2015
Chicago Transit Authority is a solid company which provides many opportunities to its employees. Through the Authority I was given a chance to grow in many different departments and learn management. I get along well with internal and external customers therefore, interpersonal skill is what I hang my hat on.
Pros
Secure work place
Cons
Politics
Fun coworkers, family atmosphere
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 15, 2016
There are no typical days at work, you never know what your going to get on the street. There are good days when everyone is friendly, pay their fares act like respectful adults, then you have those days where the kids getting out of school are disrespectful and unruly, either way your there to do a job. Since I've been there a lot has changed which has played a major part on the moral of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job, my coworkers listening & laughing at the adventures of the day. The hardest part is finding time between work & everything else, the way the work is set up your entire day is consumed. i have over the years learned a lot such as how to deal with different personalities, defuse hostile situations and think quickly in the moment.
Pros
Fellow bus operators
Cons
breaks to long, management
Productive work environment that requires your best effortts.
Sub-Assembler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2016
My typical day involved the sub-assembly of mechanical parts of trains. Parts ranging from couplers to brakes. In my time there I learned how to build all of the different mechanical train parts that I was required to work on.The hardest part of the job was building couplers when you couldn't find parts to work. You'd spend hours building, then find a nut that doesn't work, so you have to start over again. The most enjoyable part of my job was actually building parts that worked and were put in service on the trains.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
location
C.S.A worst position
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2016
If your full time at your job dont quit it because if you get hired as a CSA you're never going to be a full time agent they take union dues out your check and special dues out your check with no explanation. if you're not full time why do they take union dues in addition also they take out HC trust funds meaning you're paying for other people retirement plan. Their policies are horrible if you called off saying you're sick put yourself in the sick book or something you don't work the next day you will have to physically go to the terminal and sign out of the book. as a new employee you have to call everday between 4:30pm -12am to know ur assignment for the next day. And the clerks are horrible. In addition the union Representatives that supposed to represent you fight for you and everything that you're paying them a full-time money a month they sit in the manager's office the same manager that report and going to discipline you they sit and drink coffee and laugh with them Not a safe place for a female to work overnight shift
Pros
Free rides
Cons
Perverts
Wonderful place to work where employees are taught to strive for excellence.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2016
Every day is busy, began the day by updating the manpower report. Next the manpower transactions were processed in Oracle, such as emloyees that retired, resigned or transferred to a different department. Processed payroll and completed any forms required by the payroll department such as jury duty, funeral and employees off sick or injured form. I would finish the day with any filing, because employee information was required to be filed in a secured location,
Pros
Free rides on CTA
Cons
short lunch period
Steer clear, it's very stressful.
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2016
This company does not care about it's employees, they have all of these ridiculous rules and they steal money from your pension. Everything is your fault and the passengers have no accountability for their actions. The company watches you with a magnifying glass and they write you up for anything. They don't care if there is a blizzard or your car broke down in the middle of the road, if you are 1 min late they will write you up. Passengers can disrespect you, hit you, or spit on you but the moment you defend yourself the company says your wrong. Most of the good reviews are from people with office positions, they don't have to deal with the public in the same altitude as we do.
Pros
Pay per hour
Cons
Rude passengers, crazy drivers, nasty bathrooms, split shifts, ridiculous schedule, no grace period to get to work, harsh discipline.
Challenging position behind the wheel
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2016
The most enjoyable parts of this job were the opportunity to interact with the public from varying different demographics and driving. The hardest part of the job was the way in which bus operators were scheduled. Schedules were made and given daily for only the next day with one dedicated (guaranteed) off day per week. It was difficult to adjust to working different times each day.
A demanding job
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2016
Days start time are off centered a stressful beginning always, I've learned that the public can be vary mean spirited and co=workers just as mean. The management department can have no compassion for mankind strictly bookly. The hardest part of this job was the starting of your day once you got off and running the day got somewhat better.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Very limited time off and on the job.
Plenty of jobs to work in
Journeyman Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2015
This is a company with lots of benefits and if you can make the right connections there is plenty of room for advancement. Th pay scales are very good for what you are expected to do with aposability to transfer into different departments
yes they play cards ping pong and Dominoes
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2016
A typical day at work was great I guess because I started so early so I basically dealt with all the working people. I have learned how to be extremely patient with dealing people. Management wasn't that great they basically did what they were told and didn't have compassion for the employees at all. The job was enjoyable for the time I was there.
Great Company
Part-time Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2016
This is a wonderful place to meet new people. This is not really the type of job that allows you to work and go to school. f you have degrees already this is a great place for advancement.
Pros
Meeting new people. With seniority you pick your schedule.
Cons
It does not allow for much of a life outside of CTA, you have to be available whenever they need you.
Love the job
Part Time Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2016
typical day at work was helping the students with daily task and activities
I learned to be more patient and learned more about different needs of the students
manament was great and personal
coworkers was great to work with most teachers
the hardest part of the job was getting sick from some of the sick students with colds
I enjoyed working with most teachers and staff and all the students
Skip this position!
Manager of Transportation, Bus Ops (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2016
The position requirements don't match the position. They give u vacation but u can't take it cause the upper mangers cant manage and folks are scared. Got leaders who gots no clue how to be true leaders; no investment in the employees and you'll get stuck trying to get out of operations and dont forget to ask them why managers running out the door in drones
Pros
Free rides on bus & rail
Cons
No life!
The CTA is a fun and productive workplace!
Project Specialist II. Diversity Programs (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2016
I work in the Diversity Programs Department, my boss is awesome - she is a great leader and works to challenge and empower her employees daily! The Authority is a fun and productive workplace!
Pros
internal growth opportunities
Cons
there is a need for increased transparency
Highly Demanding position
Bus Operator/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2016
Must be a flexible individual without time constraints. The co-workers were like family and overall, the customers were wonderful. New employees and low senority employees were required to work late hours and erratic shifts. The most rewarding part of the job was meeting new people from around the world.
Progressive Company
Data Entry Specialist/Workforce Management (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2016
Company has great opportunity for advancement for young professionals. Management team is very helpful and willing to give career advice.
Pros
career advancement opportunities
Cons
Organization is currently going through a lot of changes due to retirees
This job Pays well over time
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2016
This job can be stressful at times dealing with the public in this day and times. It can be dangerous working at night on the streets of Chicago. You are with a great company but it seems to be wanted to go solely part time.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits
Cons
this can be a dangerous work environments.
Not a great place to work
Human Resources Senior Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2016
there was no work life balance, complensation package is the worse, no job security or advancement. Management was not the best and made bad business decisions. the culture was the work of all - it was and extreme hostile environment; and lots of retaliation from management. Overall bad place to work.

Chicago Transit Authority Reviews by Location