Chicago Transit Authority Employee Reviews

Affable workplace with a variety of people to work with and to take advice from.
Internship (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2017
Going to work is something I'm proud to do. Not only am I gaining work experience but I'm gaining advice. This job has helped me improve my cooperation, responsibilities, time management, initiative and more. This job is not only helpful financially, but this is a start where I will grow and develop for future jobs.
Pros
Good work experience
Cons
Shortbreaks
Horrible company to work for
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2017
a day at work would be answering questions and giving out directions the hardest part of the job is being a part time with no room for advancement I dislike the job management sucks
Cons
no room for advancement
I would not recommend
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2017
For starters the work place culture is like high school, very gossipy. employees are not appreciated on a day to day basis. The upside to the company is there's room to move around to different department within.
Massive Transportation, and customer friendly
Bus Operator/Pool Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2017
I work in a fast work environment. My typical day consist of getting public transportation out on time throughout the city of Chicago. I enjoy working with the public. This job allows me to meet different people every day, and give excellent customer service. I handle multiple calls, log absenteeism, lost, and found, process workers compensation, and short term disability forms. Monitor hundreds of bus operators reporting on time for work. Work close with upper management, supervision, and instruction department to make sure we're all in compliance with Standard Operation Procedures
Pros
Employee appreciation
Cons
Health care, and various hours and days off
stressful and unsafe work environment no work and life balance
Train Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2017
Typical day depends on your work location, some areas of the city is safer then others. job consist mostly of helping customers purchase fares and giving travel directions. Depending on the work location you will deal with heavy flow of drug dealers, users, homeless people, and mentally ill. mostly working alone if in danger management is 30 minutes to a hour away. if police is called takes about the same for them to respond. Mandated to work the next shift if relief doesn't show. 20 minutes for lunch no other breaks.No paid vacation time for partimers employees, no sick days no paid time off maternity leave for partimers. Only way to become full time is to drive the train or bus which is still a process . I've been in customer service for 15 years and this job has taught me more than any job has ever done. i appreciate the skills i learned at this job which will make me stronger for another company.
Pros
free travel on CTA and Pace
Cons
lunch is only 20 minutes, no breaks, no paid vacation or sick days for partime
employee minded work place
Motorman (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2017
out of all the hundreds of co-workers I've worked with at the cta, everybody always had a smile on their face to start the day, nice ! that job taught you to treat others as you would want to be treated
Pros
the money
Cons
the work hours
wow
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2017
Chicago Transit Authority has to be one of the most difficult job I've worked . When you start off you don't have a set schedule . Your schedule goes up and down ; but the pay is great
Productive place to work
Contract Utilization Specialist/Business Analist (Current Employee) –  567 W. Lake StreetJuly 13, 2017
Typical work day- Reviewing and approving requisitions and releasing products or services from blanket agreements. Starting new requisitions for future procurement's. Reviewing data to review with using departments for renewal of agreements.
Learned how to multitask for the betterment of the using groups.
Management is very supportive and being that I am self motivated individual it works well.
The hardest part of the job can sometimes be repetition.
the most enjoyable part of my job is helping other departments and the company.
Pros
Free ride on bus and train
Operations Manager Position
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2017
It was a great experience working with Chicago Transit Authority. I started as a operator for nine years, supervisor for 5 years and a Operations Manager for 14 years.There were great employee benefits and employee appreciation activites. When there were major incidents and extreme weather management was required 12 hour mandatory shifts.It could be extremely stressful at times.
Pros
great insurance
Cons
mandatory overtime
No job secure!
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2017
This job in slowly sinking. It's DEFINITELY NOT what it used to be. They DO NOT SUPPORT their employees nor do they care about their well-being! They treat their employees like robots and tax them like crazy. Then you'll get penalized for the SMALLEST THINGS like being 3 secs early, taking a day off for being sick, an unruly passenger "claiming" the operator was disrespectful, another car hitting your bus while you're in motion, & a HOST OF OTHER UNREASONABLE or UNFORESEEN situations!!! The benefits are TERRIBLE! They left Blue cross blue shield for the LOWEST plan on Cigna to cover their employees! ENOUGH SAID!
Pros
If you're already established within the company, then you're someone good to go.
Cons
You'll end up in more debt then you probably would at a regular job paying $15/hr!
swalloed
Switchman, Train Operator, Flagmen (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2017
it swallowed, not a place to consider if you want to raise a family, no chance

the union sucks, no back bone whatsoever

management are under educated
Ok work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2017
I worked the job for 27 years and the money was good but management sucks, well it was a few was ok. But over all C.T.A use to be a good company to work for but now its just too many bosses.not good health care and the sick pay is trouble.
Pros
you can work overtime and makes some money
Cons
short breaks, health insurance is trouble.
Nice Place to work although management is agressive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2017
Great job with great benefits if you are ever promoted to full time the pay & benefits are definitely worth it. A typical work day is simple and mostly uneventful you sit in a booth for 8hrs and help customers
Pros
pay
Cons
managers & supervisors constantly bothering you
n/a
Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2017
great transportaion needs and has an incredible staff that helps you maintain quality and efficient needs. Provides public transportation to its customers.
productive
Programmer Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2017
Key Contributions:
• Developed and implemented procedures and guidelines, optimizing productivity and efficiency; generating significant cost savings.
• Created MS Project Plan for the Time Labor Management portion of the ADP payroll conversion.
Pros
Cons
fast paced
Challenging
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2017
A typical day at work is ensuring that almost 1.5 million riders receive quality, affordable transit service that link them to their jobs or communities.
Not fun
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2017
Working at this job was very stressful job and painful and dangerous I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here its really a waste of time and you also have no life when you work for this company
need to put drivers first
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2017
the days are mainly the same, people don't know where they are going, management is good, culture is bad, the job is both good and at times bad. drivers that i have talked to who have over ten years of service say it was a good company to work for back in the day, drivers were not at fault for everything that happened on the street and on the bus. a passenger falls on the bus while it moving it is considered our fault. a car cuts in front of you and hits you and speeds away for being in the wrong cta says you were moving so that is also your fault. a passenger wants to fight because you asked for the fare that is also seen as your fault eventhough you are required to ask for the fare twice then leave it alone. the equipment need to be better maintained for drivers comfort not just to get down the stret.
Pros
after a while pay is good depending on what you come in making.
Cons
they look to fault the drivers for all accidents and incidents. guilty til proven inocent
Engergetic Hard Worker
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2017
Everyday is a different day. You have to stay focus and have patience. There are some Good Days: where as you go through your route(assignment) with no fare disputes, incidents, bus running smoothing, and or calling the control center. And there are your Bad Days: where customers dispute there fare, disruption on the bus (criminal activity etc.), bus break down. But what I do enjoy about my job I work the Extra Board where I work different street and hours. Rotating days off so always look for three day weekend.
This company sucks
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 16, 2017
No benefits under paid no contract wouldn't recommend nobody to apply it would a waste of your time. It's been 14 months still no contract csa's are mistreated.