Chicago Transit Authority Employee Reviews

all round experience
Bus Mechanic, HVAC Certification, Driver CDL B (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2017
calm and safe environment.
learned safety and various equipment use. Also train periodically on new equipment.
Management is top notch.
Workplace culture excellent.
Learning to work independently.
Most enjoyable part of this job is the security of having a job.
Pros
regular and steady income
Cons
availability of steady supply
Poor Professional Etiquette
Combined Rail Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2017
Good Salary and subpar benefits. High pension deduction at 12% and another unethical 4% deduction for retirees health care insurance paid by active workers that the CTA should cover but denied. No work/Life balance and seniority system of working scheduling is failing do to bias friendships with scheduling work. Poor professional etiquette throughout the company. Hardest part of the job is showing up on time everyday. No paid sick days or sick days, you will be disciplined for missing days at work. Most enjoyable part of this job is finishing your shift and going home to those you love most. This job is a great tool to get ahead in life but it takes 5yrs to reach top salary.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No sick days, No work/life balance, Poor management, Poor union support, Poor professional environment
productive environment
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 12, 2017
communicating and meeting new people as well as getting to know your peers and developing relationships is what I enjoy about the job. Ive learned patience while working for CTA and that is the most important thing working here. A typical day is long due to long breaks and long times of travelling to locations alone without no one to speak to or something to listen to.
Pros
communicating and meeting new people, getting to know your peers, and developing relationships
Cons
long breaks, you have to endure anything that people send your way, you can get in trouble for anything
I learned how to drive aggressively here at this job so I say that a 40ft bus was my first car.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2017
this is where I fell in love with driving. I became so good at operating this very large vehicle I was looking for something else to learn how to drive that average women would dare to operate. being behind the wheel of the bus was and still is a great accomplishment in my life.
Pros
looking for excitement in a job get your commercial drivers license
Cons
it is ver dangerous for all sexes.
Very challenging work environment
Manager, Rail Car Appearance (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2017
While the pay is very fulfilling, the culture needs improvement. It's a very negative environment. The management can be very unprofessional and look to instill fear.
Pros
Pay and vacation time...
Cons
Negative culture...
Good job but stressful, have knowledge of the city of chicago they do provide maps,buses an help to at least rey an help u
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2017
Stressful job,but if u come to work u get what u put in.stay focus an to urself learn the routes an keep both hands on steering wheel they have great instructor an supervisors on street to help u.
Pros
Senority is great when u turn over but the turnover rate is slow it takes 2 years to turn over
Cons
Managers are stricts an are not gonna provide u with the abitlity to come in check for ur run
I enjoyed my time at CTA
Fleet Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2017
as a single parent this job helped me because its a 24 hr ran company so i was able to pick my schedules in a manner that worked for my household over time. They have nice benefits and a program that allows drivers to switch runs when things come up like graduations, sick parents to name a few. The hardest part of working the job would be the long breaks between the run. Most people didnt live close enough to a garage so they would sit in the training room for 4+ hours until the second half of their run. that leaves for long hours away from home. But theres ways around that, its enough time to go to the gym, run some errands or take a nap in the car. The most enjoyable part of the job is that your coworkers will be your dysfunctional family. they may get on your nerves, make you laugh, keep you entertained and there are alot of social events for you to go to on your off days because someone is always throwing a get together.
Public transportation
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2017
Assisted customers with fares and traveling information. Traveling directions daily. Rotated shifts every 6 months. Assisted intoxicated customers daily as well as safety around work station
My Review
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2017
I learned how to safely operate a 40ft vehicle. It was good working unsupervised. CTA has a very diverse culture. The hardest part of the job is adjusting to different schedules. The most enjoyable part was meeting different job expectations. Such as arriving to scheduled service stops on time and getting communities to and from their destinations in a safe and timely manner.
Pros
Operations
Cons
Schedules
High energy environment
CTA PROFESSIONAL BUS OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2017
I Love driving and interaction with most passengers is pleasent, but company as a whole really isn't there for it's front line employees regardless of what they say on the news.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Rewarding company to work for
Manger, Bus-Handler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2017
Every day I go to work with a smile on my face, I try to keep a positive attitude while at work. I try to motivate my co-worker with positive energy. I try to keep my demeanor though good and bad. I go beyond the call of duty by seeking out and following up on additional responsibilities. I am a active listener, manger my time efficiently,
Pros
Good salary
Cons
no sick days
Horrible management
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
Management in Bus maintenance department is horrible. They have no consideration for your life outside of work. Schedules are very erratic and not sable . They blame you for everything. Union employees have no respect for you. Quality Control department managers are always bashing you about not doing your job correctly. Especially considering that they have never worked in the maninten6 department . New GMs are leading the change in culture and I hope it works. But there is a lot of nepotism at CTA . People in positions that they are well under qualified. Considering working here as a bridge to your next job. This company is a disaster . Money is being burned daily and vendors are running wild trying to take as much as they can. Some Union employees are great. But I would say the majority that I've worked with are not so helpful and want to start a conflict with you over nothing.
Pros
Steady paycheck. Ok benefits
Cons
Management, politics, Union employees, nepotism.
unappreciated
Driver / Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2017
Company doesn't value its drivers employees are under constant scrutiny from the management. The atmosphere is very penal Some managers and supervisors that speak to you very demeaning
The Garage
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2017
a hi and by kind of atmosphere for me I was not one for sitting around gossiping amongst my co-workers but if you are a person like that it's a fun feel place for you.
Pros
free rids
Cons
short breaks
stressfull
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2017
very stress full, management is poor, managers expect the impossible, because they have little experience about buses and diesel engines. expect work to be done in an impossible deadline
Pros
free bus card
Cons
to much stress
Dangerous job
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2017
There are many murders that take place around the CTA and the CPD has stopped responding. Sometimes the management refused to call them. If you are lucky and you have a bathroom in your kiosk, you hide in there until the shootings, muggings, fights, criminal activity ceases.
Pros
free rides on public transportation
Cons
Poor management
Not a fun place to work
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2017
Not productive for many high turnover rate you was allowed to pay games motivational programs, there was a television in the break area that employees were able to watch.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Company do not care about their employees
Critical work and responsibilities are a daily reality.
SENIOR MANAGER / MAINTENANCE/ BUS OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2017
Working at the Chicago Transit Authority was a rewarding career experience.

Hundreds of thousands of daily commuters relied on me and my staff to have the fixed route transit buses ready for morning and evening rush-hour travel.

Incredible responsibilities performed by incredible employees on a 365-days/year basis.

Once transit services gets in your blood, you are hooked on providing the best travel experience possible for your riders!
Pros
Professionally rewarding, work with proud and dedicated hourly employees.
Cons
Budget constraints, out dated tools and support equipment.
Good company unless your a single parent
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60628September 7, 2017
CTA is a good company to work for if you are not a single parent. When you first start working for them the hours are pretty inconsistent because they require you to call in everyday to see what hours you work the following day or if you work at all. They are strict with their rules but not all supervisors enforce them.
Family like work Environment
BUS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2017
As a BUS OPERATOR I performed a skilled occupation in several socially challenged environments. The Bus Operator connected passengers to neighborhoods, jobs, and communities. The Chicago area has many ethnically social neighborhoods, and one of my jobs was to fit into these neighborhoods. The company taught their employees how to be safe Operators, and this was main part of the job. Commercial Drivers requires a different degree of knowledge that require safe practices in accordance with the rules of the road.. Situations would come up, whereas the management sometimes had your back, but the interest of the company came foremost first. The company value their customers opinion over the employees interest. For that reason, the job's pay and benefits offset this treatment of employees, also that creates a common bond between the bus operators.
Pros
Job pay and benefits
Cons
Employee opinions