Chicago Transit Authority

Chicago Transit Authority Employer Reviews

Stepping stone
Benefit Analyst (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: employees benefits
Working only Monday- Friday. I like getting exposure to the customers by volunteering to be an information specialist.
Under paid.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2014
Pros: medical benifits
Cons: short breaks or no breaks
I am stationed in the loop area and as a result I meet interesting people and also learn a lot about my beautiful city.
The position is not secure, you can be replaced easily.
getting people where they are going on time and safe
bus operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 9, 2014
I don't want to bad mouth CTA it just wasn't the job for me back then.
loved working with the public
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 3, 2014
Pros: the work
Cons: new hires are hired on a pt basis
cta is the second largest public transportation in the country
if you are a people person you will love this job
great job
Bus Operator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 2, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: violent city
loved this job daily, its just the city was becoming to violent to raise my children, assisting costumers, giving directions, driving , learning new places,
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 2, 2014
A great place to work if you would like to take your customer service skills to the next level.
Challenging, productive, never boring
General Manager (Former Employee), 567 W Lake, Chicago, ILMay 27, 2014
Pros: never boring
Cons: on call 24 hours a day
My position with Chicago Transit Authority included Acting General Manager and Manager II Rail Operations; Capital Projects. Part of my responsibilities was to effectively coordinate construction activities with safety and efficiency of employees, contractors, and customers with the various construction companies. My experience includes meeting goals – more... set forth with CTA facilities, maintenance, and rail operating personnel in a manner that satisfied the contractor's and CTA's needs.

This included interacting with a diverse population: from very educated to uneducated, wealthy to poor, and people with various handicaps.

The most difficult part of the job was always being prepared for Chicago's weather: from twenty degrees below zero, to temperatures in excess of one hundred degrees, sunny to windy. I wasn't just in the office, but had to respond to emergency situations and inspect sites in the field.

The most enjoyable part of the job was at the completion of projects; knowing how hard work and preparations had paid off. – less
Required people who were able to multi-task and complete jobs in a timely manner
Diesel Mechanic/Maintenance (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 26, 2014
Pros: stability and benefits
Cons: no flexibility in schedule.
Overall was a very good experience. Worked for 25 years in the same capacity but at different locations within the company. The hardest part of the job was having to work outside and maintain a schedule to ensure the buses were always working properly and on time. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people.
Heavy Maintenance Mechanic
Mechanic (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 19, 2014
Pros: the pay was good for the time and the overtime was always present
Cons: working different shifts due to non senority
Repair Transit buses for the City of Chicago/ Started out as a bus cleaner and advanced to bus mechanic. The transit company sent me to training so as to become a mechanic. Managers and supervisors were helpful at times. I made several friendships thru-out the years and still have contact with them until today.

Since this was a heavy maintenance job – more... it was difficult adjusting to the variety and size of bus parts. Very easy in this industry to get physically hurt. I enjoyed the training given to me and having to meet some really good instructors. – less
excellent
Full-time Bus Operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 17, 2014
Pros: excellent
Cons: excellent
Productive and fun workplace. excellent customer service.
Loved interacting with customers
Full-Time Bus Operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 11, 2014
Pros: you have a win win situation working with them.
Cons: n/a
If you enjoy people and adventure CTA is the place to be. Set routes family oriented company.
Great job
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 1, 2014
The company made up rules as the day go by. Your co-workers are great helpers and they stick together.
Not a good place to work anymore
BUS OPERATOR (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 1, 2014
Pros: per hour pay rate
Cons: everything else
The company has changed tremendously for the worse. Bad management and unfair discipline tactics.
acceptional, needs better beneftss for workers
Customer Service Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 1, 2014
Overall a good company, I would just like better benefits, schedules constantly fluctuate.
Great company to work for
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 30, 2014
This company was a great one to work for. There was much growth for me there and I was able to raise my child and balance work and family well. They have wonderful benefits for you and your family and a great pension plan for your future. I loved working for Chicago Transit Authority.
n/a
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 30, 2014
If you get a full time position its worth it but if its part time good luck.
Productive and fun place to work
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 24, 2014
Pros: worked with little or no supervision
Cons: sometimes short breaks
Arrive a full half hour before my scheduled time, checked in with dispatcher to get my run sheet for the day, filled out as much paper work as I could before departing to get my bus, received the bus, pre tripped the bus before leaving the garage, the most enjoyable part of the job was direct contact with the public on a daily basis.
Excellent working environment
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 18, 2014
Pros: worked independantly
Productive and fun work place. Day started out with checking in with the dispatcher to get my run sheet then, proceeded to get my assigned transit bus and pre trip it then proceeded to my assigned fixed route.
Great pay, great benefits, high risks (sometimes)
Customer Service (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 16, 2014
Pros: meeting, greeting and assisting people from various cultures.
Cons: no lunch-very high risk for dangerous situations.
Hours varied based on senioity. High exposure to people from various cultures and backgrounds taught me to be open and receptive to everyone. Management was "omnipresent"; Surveillance on our performance was constant. Many of my co-workers were good family people, professional and courteous. Working in dangerous neighborhoods at various hours alone – more... was hard sometimes, but being able to meet and assist so many different people, and develop a few friendships along the way made the job satisfying (along with the pay and benefits). – less
productive,good experience
FULL TIME BUS OPERATOR (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 15, 2014
Pros: working all personilities, off all summer
Cons: off all summer
I love working with the children at the school
the staff was wonderful
hours were great
the pay is ok

About Chicago Transit Authority

The CTA is focused on making its ETA.┬áThe Chicago Transit Authority operates┬áthe second-largest public transportation system in – Read more

Chicago Transit Authority Photos