Chicago Tribune Employee Reviews in United States

Productive Workplace, Continuing to Strive for Excellence!
SR Administrator Coordinator /Time Keeper /Payroll (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2016
Overall a nice place to work. Enjoy being a part of the team. Enjoy the rush of a fast paced environment while continuing to succeed!
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2016
training and lead great and offer many development classes, very family oriented, I would recommend this company to anyone looking to advance in the newspaper industry,.
Pros
very profesional company
Cons
decided to outsource the call center
productive and positive work environment.
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILDecember 21, 2015
It is a laid back work environment. You have the opportunity to work alone as well as with a team. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that every company or private resident will be able to catch up on whats going on in the world.
keep you busy for a few hours
Newspaper Delivery (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2016
I think its a good job if you like to move around every morning just for a few hours to deliver some newspaper for some extra cash.
not for anyone to work at
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2016
does not pay right worked more hours and less pay do not like the places worker didnt work the boss was a jerk dislike and long night
Pros
Cons
pay
Great to work for a world renowned newspaper
TEAM LEAD ADBUILDER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 22, 2015
Worked with the most professional artists in the business. Exciting to work with professionals dealing with breaking news on a 24/7 work day.
Pros
Highly technical field
Cons
Deadlines
Great work balance pleasant environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2015
Typical work day was receiving calls from customers regarding delivery of the newspapers and other publications. Handled complaints,billing and vacation holds. Process promotions for publications. Management was on hand when needed co-workers were pleasant and joy to work with. The hardest part of the job was when the presses went down and deliveries were late and the customers had to accommodated within a reasonable time frame. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily interactions with customers and coworkers. Also receiving compliments from customers.
Pros
Free Newspapers
Cons
mandatory meetings on off days
Fast-pace, news environment
Image Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2015
Great place to work a for a "newsie" type person such as myself. Supportive desk editors. The most enjoyable part of my job was working along side some of the best photographers not only in the City of Chicago, but in the world as a whole.
Pros
Great colleagues to work with and iconic Chicago building to work in.
Cons
It is the newspaper industry.
It's the best learning environment I could have imaginged
Director of Digital Sales (Former Employee) –  ChicagoSeptember 22, 2015
The constant of the Chicago Tribune has always been about an ever changing work environment and upon collectively focusing on ways to improve up sales, process on all other aspects of the business.
Pros
Respect, Market leader
Cons
Resources
Great enivorment to work for.
Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2015
Love working with the public and learning different skills. the training program at the company is the greatest. you don't need any higher degree to fulfil your dream.
Pros
able to move up in the company
Cons
laid off
Good experience attained.
Division Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2015
As my 2nd job after completing school, this provided me the groundwork to start a career in the newspaper industry.
It was unfortunate that the industry didn't last longer.
Pros
Freedom to control daily activities.
Cons
Corporate structure
Productive and laid back environment
Finance Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2015
I work well with everyone. Upper management is very flexible and understanding. This company offers fun incentives and outing to show appreciation to their employees.
Being outside a lot
Paper Boy (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INNovember 13, 2015
Having to walk around, no matter the weather, being able to get the job done. Workers drove in one car, we split up and took separate areas.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Work conditions, times
A place to grow and learn new experience
packager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2015
I learned a lot at the Tribune to work and get along with co-workers and become like a small family. I learned to drive the forklift and put in order numbers for the paper orders to go out and bet the timer. The most enjoyable thing about the job was having to lean new things everyday.
Pros
When we meet our target we got free lunch and prizes
Cons
We didn't get no vaction and no paid sick days
Typical day at work
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
Enjoyed fast pace of a newspaper production setting, Never knowing what may occur on any given day. Equipment, paper, issues that may or may not arise.
Pros
performance programs...gift cards, cash rewards
Very professional, patient and productive management team
Press Systems Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2015
Depending on your position, you can learn new skills and develop your existing ones. It is a good company to work for, but various issues have caused it to change over the years.
Pros
Learn new skills and develop current ones
Cons
Before layoff havn't had a raise in about 8 years.
it was an easy job to work for
loader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2015
i had to load and unload the mail and put it in the machine's and putting them all in order, it was a very easy process and i had to clean after i were done with all my work.
Pros
we had to bring our on lunch
Cons
30 mins breaks
we would all gather and talk
Back Line Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2015
A typical day would be getting all of the correct insert in the jackets.
working the back line and watching the machine go smoothly with out any interruptions On some days the management would be on you about why the machine are breaking down.The hardest part of the day is the left over bundle that have to have flags on them. The enjoyable part of the day when sometimes you could leave early.
Pros
we would get rewarded with free lunch if we completed with the order in a timely manner
Cons
with a short break there is not enough time to finished talking.
chicago tribune
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILMarch 5, 2015
People love this job because they want to learn about the route that they are given and they get there at a certain time , and then they have to wait on the truck that bring the papers then they have to count how many papers that they need for the paper route , roll them and putting the papers in plastic bags and strapping the for gas - stations etc..
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
good work experience overall
Packaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  chicago illinoisJanuary 22, 2015
its basic warehouse work. shifts are anywhere from 8-12 hours daily(more or less depending on the season). 4-6 day work weeks. the pay is ok depending on your lifestyle. I learned a lot working there. I learned how to operate the different machines in my department. I became a certified forklift driver. we have a few changes in management in the time I was there but they were ok as a whole. I loved my co-workers. I spent more time at work than at hoe so they became family. the hardest part to me were the hours. 2nd shift stayed till the job was done. best part was guaranteed 40 hours or more during peek seasons.