Chicago Urban League Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Highly regarded in the community.
CUL Staffer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 27, 2017
The Chicago Urban League works for economic, educational and social progress for African Americans and promotes strong, sustainable communities through advocacy, collaboration and innovation. The organization is an affiliate of the National Urban League, the nation’s oldest and largest community-based movement devoted to empowering African Americans to enter the economic and social mainstream.
Great Experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2017
Detailed-oriented and a fun and productive place to work. Sometimes management was demanding and the culture was comfortable. I learned and experienced new things often
Excellent work experience in the social services industry.
Executive Secretary to Vice President of Programs (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2017
Each work day was challenging; tasks changed from day to day.
Learned to be more flexible and proactive in task planning; workplace culture was to assist and direct community to various social services as requested.
Hardest part of the job was not always being able to resolve various issues/requests.
Most enjoyable part of the job was satisfaction gained when I was able to amicably resolve requests.
Pros
Organization enjoys long term recognition for its contribution to the community
Cons
Not always being able to accommodate individual requests received from the community
prductive and engaging environment
supportive manangement
parking lot
Experiences
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  4510 Michigan AveJanuary 24, 2017
As a student I have been extensively involved in my school community, which has allowed me to develop strong interpersonal skills. My involvement in various events, including Chicago Urban League , Has allowed me to work closely with my peers while supporting the school community as a whole.

These experiences have allowed me to develop strong time management and organisational skills, which I see as being very important when seeking to work in casual employment while continuing to study.

Personal attributes that I believe make me suitable for this position include:

Motivation:Volunteer at my church .
Customer Service: I was going door to door , working entrust energy tryna the world a better place.
Communication: Looking every person eye to eye Giving them a better understanding at what I was trying to do.
Pros
N/a
Cons
30 minutes lunch breaks
Productive and fun work environment
Chicago Family Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2017
The Chicago Urban League is a very great place to work and build a career. Management is very helpful. The hours are flexible and they offer excellent benefits.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Productive and fun work place.
Bike Builder (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2016
A typical day at work is good we learned how to build bikes and learned how to garden. We also ride around Chicago parks and sometimes help other gardeners.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Shorts breaks
Great Idea, not executed well...
Receptionist/HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2016
As an organization for the impoverished African American community, they do their best to execute this model. However for them to have been around for 90 plus years the staff could be better especially within the upper management level. Easy to get hired, favoritism goes a long way in this company and it is easy to get fired at the drop of a hat. The fact that they can not keep a decent CEO without controversy speaks volumes. You will also find that they rarely if ever adhere to their own office policies.
Cons
HR team consists of one manager, the security guard and a receptionist
Changing the community, one life at a time
Executive Assistant to President & CEO (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisMay 19, 2015
The Chicago Urban League is truly a gem. Before working here I did not fully realize its impact on the community. The programs it offers to help underprivileged people in the community is to be applauded and I am proud to be a part of what they do.
Productive workplace, quiet, and generous coworkers
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2015
Great place to work. Helped with different departments such as External Affairs and Education. Created brochures and flyers to promote event at the company.
Over all a good company
Senior Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2015
Managements was great! Communications was always very good!They were alway open for change and as a non for profits organization, that's says alots.
Pros
Chance for avancement
Wonderful environment
Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2015
The CUL was a wonderful place to work because it allowed you space to learn new skills and how other the departments worked to gather for the better good of the organization.
Pros
free lunches, new networking sources agined
Cons
pay scale
Executive Support and Planning
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2015
Executive Support & Planning
Provided insight on programmatic goals, as they related to contractual requirements.
Managed all professional and personal affairs for the Director. Coordinated and updated calendar, screened correspondence, and prepared all domestic and international travel lodging.
Handled and generated sensitive documentation for senior staff. Maintained confidential files supervised and trained junior administrative staff.
Implemented effective program strategies. Planned and completed various special projects, communicated regularly with senior staff, politicians, and representatives from different organizations and agencies.
Led technical projects and initiatives, catering to community growth and development.
Management & Supervision
Promoted rapidly from front desk clerk to assistant front office manager.
Facilitated training sessions for recruitment, hiring, training, and scheduling.
Supervised 120 youth and intern team members.
Reduced departmental travel expenses by $47,000 within three months of employment, by identifying cost-effective travel agencies and negotiating vendor contracts.
Administrative Support
Planned and organized Career Fair for the Chicago Urban League, generating over 50 employers, and 5,000 participants.
Performed administrative work and secretarial support functions for the Workforce Director.
Assisted with general accounting functions; maintained databases and handles A/P A/R. Provided programmatic support, investigated and solved billing problems. Trained and supervised part-time staff and interns.
Researched and
  more... assisted in preparation of annual budget; compiled and input budget data, submitted budget recommendations for executive office and staff.

Customer Service & Reception
Demonstrated ability to maintain composure and work effectively in a fast-paced environment while preserving strict confidentiality.
Conducted client interviews to elicit necessary information for registration, accurate prioritization, and to assist program managers in the client intake process.
Orchestrated departmental events and reservations managed client relations and provided exemplary service to all clients.
Successfully coordinated and hosted numerous client seminars, creating invitations and promotional materials, booking venues, and selecting guest speakers.
Served as liaison between management and senior staff members.
Prepared structured presentations and meeting agendas and notes.
transportion construction
Transportation Construction Apprenticeship (Current Employee) –  chicago il 60619December 8, 2014
they help provide me with over 60 hours of train at the local 150, and get me ready for training in the operating engineering career field.
High-Level Management
Business Executive & Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2014
Was a great opportunity to:

1) Help expand the organizations brand into the reality television market through an Emmy award winning series on Fox TV
2) Grow professionally and in a position of leadership
3) Develop products & services; Entrepreneurship Center
4) Design & Launch business & entrepreneurship training programs
5) Increase membership significantly
6) Consult hundreds of businesses; helped such firms increase revenues up to 50%, restructure and expand market reach
7) Secured millions in funding
Fun & Dynamic Workplace
Academic Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2014
A fun and dynamic place to work. Amiable people to work with.
helping the community
Assistant Career Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2014
great environment excellent staff!!! I helped clients with job seeking . also called clients for job fairs and hiring events
Pros
internship
Cons
internship
Hands on learning experience
Transportation Construction Apprentice Training (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILJune 24, 2014
Crash course/work experience in the construction field.. I learned about various fields in the trade, safety, and employability skills. I also learned to use various tools and cement placement.
Pros
I received various certifications while receiving a pay check
Cons
It was a short term position.
Fun
Site Supervisor for Hand and Hand (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2014
I was a site supervisor, and i was responsible for 12 students and finding the service projects to complete around the west side of Chicago. I took attendance daily and corresponded with several organizations to schedule service projects.
Pros
We had a block party
Cons
It was only for the summer
Frienldly Environment
Construction Pre-Apprentice Readiness Training (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2014
A typical day at work for me will be to ask my manager about the agenda for the day. Prepare for the day by organizing my thoughts and laying out what needs to be done and how it needs to be done. I have had great management throughout my experiences. My co-workers are fun to be around. We help each other when it's needed. The enjoyable part of the job is doing projects that are given to me. the hardest part about the job is clocking out to go home everyday.