Chicago Urban League Employee Reviews in United States

Great Idea, not executed well...
Receptionist/HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2016
As an organization for the impoverished African American community, they do their best to execute this model. However for them to have been around for 90 plus years the staff could be better especially within the upper management level. Easy to get hired, favoritism goes a long way in this company and it is easy to get fired at the drop of a hat. The fact that they can not keep a decent CEO without controversy speaks volumes. You will also find that they rarely if ever adhere to their own office policies.
Cons
HR team consists of one manager, the security guard and a receptionist
Changing the community, one life at a time
Executive Assistant to President & CEO (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisMay 19, 2015
The Chicago Urban League is truly a gem. Before working here I did not fully realize its impact on the community. The programs it offers to help underprivileged people in the community is to be applauded and I am proud to be a part of what they do.
Productive workplace, quiet, and generous coworkers
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2015
Great place to work. Helped with different departments such as External Affairs and Education. Created brochures and flyers to promote event at the company.
Over all a good company
Senior Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2015
Managements was great! Communications was always very good!They were alway open for change and as a non for profits organization, that's says alots.
Pros
Chance for avancement
Wonderful environment
Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2015
The CUL was a wonderful place to work because it allowed you space to learn new skills and how other the departments worked to gather for the better good of the organization.
Pros
free lunches, new networking sources agined
Cons
pay scale
Executive Support and Planning
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2015
Executive Support & Planning
Provided insight on programmatic goals, as they related to contractual requirements.
Managed all professional and personal affairs for the Director. Coordinated and updated calendar, screened correspondence, and prepared all domestic and international travel lodging.
Handled and generated sensitive documentation for senior staff. Maintained confidential files supervised and trained junior administrative staff.
Implemented effective program strategies. Planned and completed various special projects, communicated regularly with senior staff, politicians, and representatives from different organizations and agencies.
Led technical projects and initiatives, catering to community growth and development.
Management & Supervision
Promoted rapidly from front desk clerk to assistant front office manager.
Facilitated training sessions for recruitment, hiring, training, and scheduling.
Supervised 120 youth and intern team members.
Reduced departmental travel expenses by $47,000 within three months of employment, by identifying cost-effective travel agencies and negotiating vendor contracts.
Administrative Support
Planned and organized Career Fair for the Chicago Urban League, generating over 50 employers, and 5,000 participants.
Performed administrative work and secretarial support functions for the Workforce Director.
Assisted with general accounting functions; maintained databases and handles A/P A/R. Provided programmatic support, investigated and solved billing problems. Trained and supervised part-time staff and interns.
Researched and assisted in preparation
  more... of annual budget; compiled and input budget data, submitted budget recommendations for executive office and staff.

Customer Service & Reception
Demonstrated ability to maintain composure and work effectively in a fast-paced environment while preserving strict confidentiality.
Conducted client interviews to elicit necessary information for registration, accurate prioritization, and to assist program managers in the client intake process.
Orchestrated departmental events and reservations managed client relations and provided exemplary service to all clients.
Successfully coordinated and hosted numerous client seminars, creating invitations and promotional materials, booking venues, and selecting guest speakers.
Served as liaison between management and senior staff members.
Prepared structured presentations and meeting agendas and notes.
transportion construction
Transportation Construction Apprenticeship (Current Employee) –  chicago il 60619December 8, 2014
they help provide me with over 60 hours of train at the local 150, and get me ready for training in the operating engineering career field.
High-Level Management
Business Executive & Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2014
Was a great opportunity to:

1) Help expand the organizations brand into the reality television market through an Emmy award winning series on Fox TV
2) Grow professionally and in a position of leadership
3) Develop products & services; Entrepreneurship Center
4) Design & Launch business & entrepreneurship training programs
5) Increase membership significantly
6) Consult hundreds of businesses; helped such firms increase revenues up to 50%, restructure and expand market reach
7) Secured millions in funding
Fun & Dynamic Workplace
Academic Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2014
A fun and dynamic place to work. Amiable people to work with.
helping the community
Assistant Career Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2014
great environment excellent staff!!! I helped clients with job seeking . also called clients for job fairs and hiring events
Pros
internship
Cons
internship
Hands on learning experience
Transportation Construction Apprentice Training (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILJune 24, 2014
Crash course/work experience in the construction field.. I learned about various fields in the trade, safety, and employability skills. I also learned to use various tools and cement placement.
Pros
i received various certifications while receiving a pay check
Cons
it was a short term position.
Fun
Site Supervisor for Hand and Hand (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2014
I was a site supervisor, and i was responsible for 12 students and finding the service projects to complete around the west side of Chicago. I took attendance daily and corresponded with several organizations to schedule service projects.
Pros
we had a block party
Cons
it was only for the summer
Frienldly Environment
Construction Pre-Apprentice Readiness Training (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2014
A typical day at work for me will be to ask my manager about the agenda for the day. Prepare for the day by organizing my thoughts and laying out what needs to be done and how it needs to be done. I have had great management throughout my experiences. My co-workers are fun to be around. We help each other when it's needed. The enjoyable part of the job is doing projects that are given to me. the hardest part about the job is clocking out to go home everyday.
Productive Internship program to learn workforce development skills
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 27, 2013
I was allowed to work with a diverse group of young adults in order to gain access to customer service skills, time management, and experience working with a variety of companies. The most enjoyable part of this experience was being able to learn these skills and apply them to everyday life. A typical day at work was doing data entry as well as assisting with organization of documents.
Pros
workforce development
Cons
customer service skills
productive and fast paced
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2013
My job there was pretty simple and very rewarding the management and the co-workers were very nice and helpful the hardest part about this job for me was the commute
Pros
free lunches and help with continuing education
Cons
contracted position
Working for the Chicago Urban League was worthwhile.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people. I learned a lot and the people I met were nice. I also worked with some nice people while I was there.
Pros
meeting people and working with nice people.
Cons
did not make a lot of money at that time.
this is a non-profit company that help people find job, free training. other assistant as needed.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2012
My job consist of a lot of things, like assisting the orientation, testing, payroll, covering diffenent job when needed. assisting coworker with item needed to help their job flow smothly, attend to different clients that had special problem. I really enjoyed helping clients who work hard find a job. the hardest of the job was have clients that didn't want to follow the rules which made it harder to assist them with their job search.
Productive place to work
Program Associate - Entrepreneurship Center (Former Employee) –  chicago, ilSeptember 18, 2012
Employed by this organization for 14 years. Was promoted three times, definately a place for upward mobility.
Pros
lots of on the job training
Cons
lack of funding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Urban League. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3