Chicago Youth Centers Employee Reviews

Had fun
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2017
Great place to start off but always aim hirer it a job you it as a stepping stone you gain a lot of knowledge but dont let.it be your final stop there
Fast paced
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2017
I have learned how to interact with different cultures. I love that this job challenges me everyday and is flexible when I have an emergency. Overall love my Director.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
No time for my education
pretty good entry level job
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2017
I learn so much and how to work in the human services field from the years I spend working there. Coworkers are great. many of whom I still talk to several years after my employment.
Working with youth always an awesome experience
Center Director (Current Employee) –  Sidney Epstien Youth Center Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2016
At Chicago Youth Centers I have had the opportunity to grow professionally in the youth development and family engagement field and as an agency leader. My tenure at Chicago Youth Centers, working with youth and families, has been one of the most exciting, eye opening and satisfying time of my career. I am committed to developing programs and services that assist youth in discovering the possibilities that are available to them.
Great company their mission is for enriching the lives of youth in low-income communities.
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2016
Its not a bad organization to work for its just that the benefits and pay are not great. However changing the lives of youth is rewarding but cant pay the bills.
Pros
Rewarding experience to work in the community.
Cons
The pay is not good especially when you have to take care of three children.
it would be ok if people stop meeting about the same thing over and over
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2016
entering attendance on a daily basis for head start program and monitoring meal sheets, learning to go with the flow. I have the pleasure of managing an amazing group of volunteers. I have a few coworkers who are great to work with and a few that need not to be working in this setting. Hardest part of the job is just dealing coworkers who claim they are so professional but yet they talk to people as if they were out in the street, very unprofessional and dealing with unruly parents as well as employees. being around the kids
Pros
love the kids
Cons
bad benefits
Glad to have worked here
CRISIS WORKER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2016
Enjoyable place to work. Management was open to giving me constructive feedback that helped me in my educational and career achievements.
K
CCBYS Crisis Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2015
This agency treats their employees Bad. Worked over 10 yrs with them. Took raises back, furlough days, management is poor. Top people in downtown office has lack knowledge regarding kids. All top management is doesn't reflect the staff doing work. Let a program go because one top people couldn't get her hands on it. Lack of mobility to move up. New management has been there for 3-4 yrs , close lot of programs. No growth. Can't work with youth the need to because they are Scared of them. Please, Don't work for this company! Work there for over 10 yrs
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
A fun place for children to get their first start in education
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2015
While it has been a whil since i worked for this company but i do believe that when i was working their it was just the right position for me.
Pros
Free Hot meals daily
Cons
works all year long.
Opportunity for children to learn
Master Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2015
Educate young minds through hands-on activities using a curriculum that enhances their learning.

I had one assistant, many resources. The hardest part was when the children didn't take a nap.
Organization for Youth Support
Interning Social Worker (First Level Placement) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2015
• Worked with youth, ages 11 through 17, who were at risk of involvement in the child welfare and/or juvenile justice system
• Client intake, paperwork completion and filing
• Case management and brief counseling (using Solution Focused Therapy techniques)
• Individual and group counseling sessions with students of the 3rd grade
• Clerical activities within the school’s Social Work office
• Aiding students in connecting with their teachers and vice versa
• Education, communication, and relationship support
• Conflict resolution (using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques)
Good Agency
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2015
Chicago Youth Centers has been been serving youth and families in some of chicago's most underserved communities for more than 50 years.
Pros
very close knit staff and administration
Cons
slow in growth
Fun work place
Desk Lead/ Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2014
It was always a busy day but fun and interesting, working with kids everyday is fun you learn something new everyday with them and the hardest part of the day was the end time trying to wind down after being full of energy for 8 hours.
Pros
Pleasure to have worked with kids
Cons
Long drive
Productive Work Place & Fun!!
Youth Development Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2014
I love working with the staff and the youth!! Our day is full of new opportunities to enhance our children creativity, imagination, & academic skills. The atmosphere is very inviting, loving, nurturing, & full of care!!! I love my JOB!!!
Pros
Excellent Services are provided for the youth
Cons
Full-Time Positions are not available
Good company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  3947 S MICHIGAN AVEJuly 20, 2014
This is a good company to work for. Nice place to work for.I was able to implement two programs from beginning to end.
Pros
10 paid days off lots of holidays
Cons
Need to have a mixture of payer source.
Example: A typical overview of the day
Youth worker Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2014
A Typical day at work would consist of be arriving at 8:30 a.m. to prepare for their arrival at 9:00 a.m. I would sanitize tables, sanitize toys and prepare breakfast before the children arrived. I would greet the children while they were arriving and wait for them to finish breakfast, so we can go on to our next activity, in which varied. In the class, I had a teacher assistant who helped me prepare meals, and activities as well. After the morning activities it would be time for lunch, and then evening outside activities! Overall, the management was very helpful. The hardest part of the job was preparing meals because it was certain amounts that the children were supposed to receive, the most enjoyable part was teaching the children new lessons!
Save Yourself
Mid-management position (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 31, 2013
Staff and youth at the center level is good, but the lack of leadership, vision, and ethics at the senior management level greatly outweigh the joys of youth work. I've seen too many good people get burned by this company, including myself. Don't expect competitive pay or career advancement.
Pros
I am no longer employed by them.
Cons
They will negatively impact my finances for years to come.
A wonderful environment to work.
SPECIAL EVENTS DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 17, 2012
A small but effective development department that worked hard every day to raise awareness and funding for disadvantaged youth.

Chicago Youth Centers is fortunate that they have a great, caring Board of Directors who take ownership of managing the direction of the agency and assisting with major gifts.
Pros
the agency and its staff work as a team
Cons
benefits (especially healthcare) could be better
Great Place to work
Mentor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 10, 2012
Chicago Youth Center was a great place to work and i gained a lot from the clients and the staff I have the privilege to work with and for. My typical day at my job was to keep in constant contact with the families and individuals in the mentoring program. Provide recruitment, intake, case management and advocacy service for children who had incarcerated parents in a State and Federal Prison.
Pros
relationship building of mentors and children
Cons
the high staff turnover
Human Resources opportunity from a Receptionist
Human Resources Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2012
On November 6, 2006, an Human Resources Assistant/Receptionist position was offered to me from a 3 month, temporary Receptionist assignment completed successfully of customer service. This work experience was a growth opportunity to assist in the Human Resources needs in hiring for 6 centers. I have done all that was depended upon me with no disregard. Requests for my time off was not rendered due to dependibility and was asked to turn in my keys to the Director of Human Resources.
Pros
human resources benefits work experience, trustworthy and salary
Cons
no vacation time accepted

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chicago Youth Centers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5