Chicago Zoological Society

Chicago Zoological Society Employer Reviews

Fun
LEAD SALES (Current Employee), brookfield ilDecember 11, 2014
Pros: get in for free
Cons: lowpay
Pretty good place to work do not expect a raise it will need happen.
Fun place to work, great people to learn from and knowledgeable of their jobs.
Seasonal Groundskeeper (Current Employee), Brookfield, ILSeptember 17, 2014
My day starts by collecting the garbage from around the zoo from off the back of the garbage truck. Then I can do many jobs depending on the day, either cutting grass with push or driven mowers, mulching, weed whipping, or cutting down tree limbs or trees with handsaws or chainsaws. I have learned to operate heavy equipment, repair irrigation, repair – more... split rail fences. The management is very helpful in working with employees either with family issues or work issues.

Co-workers are very helpful in teaching others the job and are very knowledgeable in their own position. The hardest part of my jobs is dealing with the weather. I enjoy working their, when I am able to make the zoo look better for the families that come it gives me a sense of pride. – less
Fast paced and demanding work place, has its perks.
SECTIONAL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Brookfield, ILJuly 10, 2014
Pros: great environment, free tickets for family.
Cons: lack of air conditioning/heaters.
Working for the Brookfield Zoo is definitely an experience to say the least. You will meet new people, and a lot of them. Some days are slow due to weather. Other days are so busy you don't have the time to take a breath.

Every aspect of the job is very simple, you just have to be a people person. If you are not it could very well cause issues. You – more... will be working with the general public, and processing thousands of people per day.

Some locations within the Zoo are not air conditioned, so you should be prepared to be hot/cold. Nothing about the job is too hard, but if you don't like customer complaints, or people being irrationally angry you could have a hard time.

I would recommend this job to someone who is patient and customer service oriented. – less
Great first job.
Costumer Service Associate (Former Employee), Brookfield, ILApril 2, 2014
The Brookfield Zoo is a great place to work at. There is always things to do, especially in the summer. Selling tickets for attractions to families is fun. Working at the zoo is a very rewarding job. Its a fun atmosphere.
working with employees that enjoy their job
Supervisor (Former Employee), Brookfield, ILOctober 28, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
The most enjoyable part of the job is the end of the day.
just to see the children smile from all the fun that goes on at the zoo.
A great start for a first time job!
Food Service Attendant (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Brookfield, ILAugust 23, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: public transportation; getting to work and back
My typical day at work would be to be in uniform, greet my supervisors and managers and find out where was I stationed for the day. I could be outside on carts or inside the restaurant prepping food or wrapping on the line. The most important task of the job having great sales rather you were a cashier or prepared the food and by doing that everyone – more... had to work as team and complete their job. – less
Great Co-workers
Guest Services (Former Employee), Brookfield, ILJuly 22, 2013
I loved my time working at the zoo, I got to be around different people and lots of friendly customers so you couldn't help but smile all day. My co-workers were even better they made me feel quite comfortable there. I learned how to deal with different time of people from varies backgrounds and cultures.
Love the zoo!
Membership Clerk / Merchandise Attendant (Current Employee), Admin Building / Gift ShopSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: full time benefits are amazing, nice staff/supervisors, staff resources (counseling available for personal, family, and work-related problems), free tickets to all zoo exhibits and events for you and your immediate family, food and merchandise discounts and special employee sales.
Cons: hr is not very efficient, very hard to land ft employment, absolutely no cell phones allowed on zoo property.
I have worked a variety of jobs in my life, but none of those jobs made me as happy as working at Brookfied Zoo does. The staff is so nice and we have a lot of fun in-between working. I'm only a seasonal employee right now but my ultimate goal is to work there full time for the rest of my life. I can definitely see myself at the zoo 20...30 years from – more... now. I deal with guests daily over the phone so most of my calls are inquiries about their membership or complaints. It can be tough sometimes dealing wih upset guests, but it's really not that bad because you are empowered to do what it takes to make them happy. My supervisors are so supportive and flexible and everyone at the zoo has genuine love and adoration (sometimes borderline obsession...haha) for animals. – less

October 23, 2012

But $10.25 an hour???? Love of animals is awesome, that part I can dig. I think the bears were talking about going UNION, that way both you and the cats can afford luxuries like food and a roof over your head. I'm quite sure those at the top of the food chain at Brookfield make 70k or more a year. To put it in perspective, I made $10.25 an hour BACK IN THE LATE 70'S. And with today's inflation rate and gas prices, I would volunteer my time at the zoo and get a job that pays money and not peanuts.

A fun and family oriented workplace
Admissions Attendant (Current Employee), Brookfield, ILAugust 22, 2012
Pros: complementary tickets, free parking for scheduled work days and unscheduled days, discounts
Cons: short breaks, no overtime, public transportation does not operate on sundays, have to find alternatives if one travels using public transportation
Each day you are put at a different work area that is within the department you are assigned to. I have never operated a cash register until working for Brookfield Zoo and I am much exposed and experienced in that area. Most of the co workers are nice and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult guests. There have – more... been many guests whom were difficult, but as always I show empathy and give those respect. The most enjoyable part of the job is having complementary admission tickets for the zoo and all of the attractions, as well as seeing all of the animals daily! – less
Productive Workplace
Guest Services (Former Employee), Brookfield, ILAugust 17, 2012
A typical day here was great. No two days were the same. Co-workers were easy to get along with and helped out no matter what.
THIS WAS A GREAT SEASONAL JOB.
GROUNDSKEEPER (Former Employee), Brookfield, ILAugust 1, 2012
Pros: just over all job was great.
Cons: no cons at this job.
I LOVED WORKING THIS SEASONAL JOB AT BROOKFIELD ZOO.IT WASM ONE OF THE BWEST JOBS I EVERY WORED.I HAD I CHANCE TO MEET AND WORK WITH DIFFT.BACKGRDS OF ALL RACES.

March 21, 2013

This job has been on here every week for a year, it's not really a job posting. IGNORE