Chicago Zoological Society Employee Reviews

a great working experience
Food Associate (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, ILNovember 13, 2017
i have in counted so many different types of people and tasks that had to be completed, i spent a lot of time working on improving my restart and trying to get co worker on board to make a successful work place.
Worked as dishwasher, absolutely hated it.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILMay 24, 2017
Only good thing were the management which treated people respectfully. The kitchen is a small place and you spend the majority of your time waiting for loads to come. Once the work actually starts you work fast and tirelessly for a few hours. The job would be fine if the people I worked with weren't complete idiots, ugh can't tell you how draining it was to work with a bunch of complete idiots and have nothing to do but stand around waiting to work instead of socializing with those morons. If you are extroverted I would recommend this job since you will spend more time socializing than actually working. If you are introverted stay away, you might think this is a good job for an introvert but it isn't. Also you only work once or twice a week and you don't always work sometimes it might take weeks before they call you to work. The place is pretty chill but the people suck. You get a zoo id which lets you go to the zoo anytime YOU want and they give you tickets for friends and family.
Pros
Free zoo tickets
Cons
Unlikeable people and not enough hours
A very career diverse workplace with at least 1000 full time employees
Senior Custodian (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, IL 60513May 15, 2017
I cleaned all the buildings before the zoo opens. When the zoo opens I would clean all behind the scenes areas. Occasionally maintaining the public area while the zoo is open.
Pros
Meeting alot of diverse people
Cons
Working in all types of weather except extreme weather conditions
fun to work there,and have great service
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILApril 3, 2017
i loved working a the zoo i like the fact that we can work together, i love working with kids. they have different thing and actives for the kids they have great show.
fun workplace
Admissions/Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILMarch 20, 2017
Seasonal employee received minimum wage. It was a great job to have while I was still in school. They were able to work around my classes by offering a flexible schedule.
productive and fun
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILFebruary 8, 2017
typical work day included greeting customers took food orders. prepared food using deep fryers and grills. the hardest part about the job was dealing with lunch and dinner rushes. the room for growth within the company.
Pros
discounted prices on anything in the park
Cons
part time workers are on call
Amazing Experience!
Special Programs Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brookfield Zoo, ILSeptember 9, 2016
Brookfield Zoo is amazing! They do everything they can to make all employees feel welcome and appreciated. This is the first job I've ever had where I want to be there even on my days off. The kindness shown is amazing and the supportive atmosphere cannot be matched. Everyone from the President on down wants the best for their employees and they encourage personal advancement and education.
Pros
Discounts, Advancement Encouraged, Friendly Staff, Great Atmosphere
CZS - Merchandise Associate
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILAugust 24, 2016
Enjoy your time at the zoo. You learn more about residents (animals) and newborns. Help the community and environment. Worked at a gift shop, stock items, worked cash register and greet guest.
Fun place to work at, good physical job and the pay is decent.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILApril 7, 2016
Every full time employee is willing to teach new hires and show them new ways of doing the job. Coworkers are friendly and very easy to get along with.
Friendly, well managed, professional place to work
Community Outreach Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILFebruary 16, 2016
My fellow teammates were great. The managers were fabulous. I learned so much about what it takes to reach out into underserved communities and inspire youth. The hardest part of my job was the low pay and finagling covering childcare. The most enjoyable part of my job was educating youth and their families about conservation and getting to do fun outreach programs.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Low Pay
Excellent organization with dedicated employees
Executive Assistant & Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILFebruary 4, 2016
The Chicago Zoological Society is renowned in their field of conservation and animal welfare. It is a wonderful place to work with kind and generous employees. A family atmosphere is fostered by employers. The diversity in hiring practices is evident as well. It's also a bonus to see live animals so well taken care of!
Fun Place to Work
Server (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, ILJanuary 5, 2016
This is a great environment to work in.Unfortunately this is not the fulltime type of work I desire for myself. I am looking to get into the legal field and unfortunately they do not offer a position where i can advance in this field. Its really hard to advance in general.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
productive and fun work place
Admissions Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, ILJuly 20, 2015
Working at Brookfield Zoo was fun and joyous experience. I cant wait to do it next summer. It was my first job and I loved everything about it
Wonderful place to work. Park-like environment
Software Architect & Developer - full-time (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILJune 2, 2015
Fantastic company. Caring people. Wonderful environment. Lots of perks, such as full access to the zoo for your family and guests, and you can have many, rare experiences with exotic animals. Excellent place to work!
Pros
You're in a zoo!
Cons
A unique venue with a lot of catering options
Sales Manager, Catered Events (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILFebruary 23, 2015
A unique venue with a lot of catering options for weddings receptions / ceremonies, corporate events and social events.
Great experience with a variety of animals
Seasonal Zookeeper (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILFebruary 8, 2015
I gained experience with a huge variety of animals that I had not worked with in the past. I learned how to effectively convey information to guest and especially children in small and large groups.
Friendly environment and fun atmosphere
Director (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, ILJanuary 13, 2015
Brookfield Zoo is a fun setting and staff and volunteers are very dedicated to the park, the Society's mission, and the animals. It is a friendly environment - both with guests who visit and the staff. I have been given great growth opportunities and have been lucky enough to work with a variety of departments due to my role and responsibilities.This has allowed me to learn about the entire organization and to focus priorities on overall institutional needs.
Pros
reciprosity agreement for free admission with other museums, parks, etc; benefits; atmosphere.
Cons
limited advancement exists because of long tenured staff
summary of work duties
Park Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, ILDecember 15, 2014
Guest Relations: answer facility related questions
Traffic/Crowd Control: Assist Brookfield/Riverside Police with vehicle traffic on zoo property and assist with crowd control during an incident or medical emergency
Access Control: Responsible for distribution of exhibit keys and authorized gate access
First Aid Provider: Provide minor medical assistance to both guest and employees
Pros
free Zoo access
Cons
Hot long days
Fun
LEAD SALES (Current Employee) –  brookfield ilDecember 11, 2014
Pretty good place to work do not expect a raise it will need happen.
Pros
get in for free
Cons
lowpay
Fun place to work, great people to learn from and knowledgeable of their jobs.
Seasonal Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, ILSeptember 17, 2014
My day starts by collecting the garbage from around the zoo from off the back of the garbage truck. Then I can do many jobs depending on the day, either cutting grass with push or driven mowers, mulching, weed whipping, or cutting down tree limbs or trees with handsaws or chainsaws. I have learned to operate heavy equipment, repair irrigation, repair split rail fences. The management is very helpful in working with employees either with family issues or work issues.

Co-workers are very helpful in teaching others the job and are very knowledgeable in their own position. The hardest part of my jobs is dealing with the weather. I enjoy working their, when I am able to make the zoo look better for the families that come it gives me a sense of pride.