Child & Family Services Employee Reviews

From the perspective of a part-timer
Group Facilitator III (Current Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HIJuly 14, 2017
I began at CFS as a practicum student and enjoyed the experience so much that I continued as a volunteer until I was able to be hired. The company appreciates its employees!
Loved my unit peers, Upper management not so much!
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJuly 12, 2017
Lack of support from upper management- only focused on money by filling beds with inappropriate clients...it's a business I get it, but client care goes out the window with the Site Directors and upper management. They only focus on the clinical aspects of clients and don't care about clients medical conditions. They way they treat nurses is horrendous. There's 1 nurse per shift that takes care of 9 adults, 9 children and any random number of clients boarding in Emergency services. The site director/ program director tries to force the doctors and NP's to write scripts for clients that fail to follow up with outpatient services because they stopped the med-clinic, and have lost many prescribers. They micro-manage the heck out of everything and everyone and talk down to employees on a daily basis. Security- is a joke... they're only there on 3rd shift and weekends and are forced to be Emergency Services slave by triaging all their calls.
Pay is fair for the field and the area, however raises are minimal if at all. And their policies are outdated or non- existent... they seem to make policies up as they go. The computer system is asinine- its only set up for outpatient clinical aspects and not for inpatient and nursing.
When an employee does have a complaint or a suggestion, it goes absolutely no where- you'd get further by talking to your own shadow! I know I sound like a complainer, but I LOVED my job and my peers I worked with on the unit... there is just no support, care or concern from management- but then they wonder why everyone is always irritable or leaving the company!
Pros
Free meals while at work, 401k
Cons
Management, Healthcare and dental
Good environment
Clinician (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJune 8, 2017
A great place to gain experience with different type of population, culture and needs. Good management and supervision but the salary rate for a bilingual counselor is not the best.
Great Co-workers
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Traverse CityMarch 10, 2017
There is a friendly team atmosphere at CFS that makes the poor pay almost bearable. The agency seems to be in a transition period as it is finding its plan to remain viable in the community.
Puts life in prospective
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAFebruary 21, 2017
Great interactions and phenomenal guideance from direct supervisor and site director. Wonderful place to grow intellectually but if your interest does not reacc clinical status, you are limited
Pros
Sick, vacation/personal time generous
Cons
Non-profit. Non-clinical less opportunity
Great learning opportunities
Program Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 7, 2017
Office environment, learned how to manage my time wisely, the school district is very flexible specially if you are going to college. I enjoyed the people I worked with.
Cfs
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 23, 2017
great place to work, doing valuable work within the community feels great. Supportive co workers and management. Financial mismanagement appears to be a concern at CFS.
Pros
flex schedule and vacation time package
Cons
pay
knowledgeable
Pre 3 Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMNovember 11, 2016
during the years i have worked here i learned alot though different trainings we attended i also enjoyed the chance to achieve my CDA through this company
Pros
monday- friday 745-445
Cons
hard to get time off if needed for appt
Mentoring
Mentoring (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAOctober 27, 2016
Working at Child & Family was a great experience. Depending on your job title the days will vary. I worked out of the Fall River location and the mentoring department was fun, rewarding, challenging, stressful but a great way to get your foot into the door if you are pursing a career in this or other areas of social or family work. Supervisors were great and would help in ANY situation. You can have a flexible schedule but it is a job with responsibilities of caring for and looking after the youth. Daily day would be.....Say good morning to the co-workers, write notes, ask questions, look for suggestions and schedule and visit with clients. Schedule does change when kids are out of school. Again GREAT staff, GREAT supervisors and rewarding. Pay is decent, benefits are decent. You do have weekly meeting and bi weekly supervision which is very helpful.
Pros
Staff, flexibility, rewarding, really fun at times and you help the local kids and community
Cons
Coming across bad family situations. You will see it all.
very challenging working with diverse family dynamics
Individual Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 26, 2015
Supportive place to work. Mission involves working with families which are identified with children that are having various difficulties.
Life at Child & Family Services
Mental Health Worker/Behavioral Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJuly 19, 2015
I loved the job, however, management was not in favor for the employees. They are always filing 51A's on employees and parents. The hardest part of the job are the frequent forced shifts, when your name comes up and someone calls out, your are forced to stay another shift.
summary
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Middletown Rhode IslandMarch 29, 2015
I work with trauma? adolescent children . we prepare activites for them , we help them with life skills project, we provide clinician time. we help them when they need someone to talk to. i learn that every child is different in there own way. the coworkers are great we all get along. and work as a team. the hardest part about the job is sometimes its emotional frustrating. the most enjoyable part about the job is that we get to help these kids.
Pros
i like the days that i work.
Cons
i dont really like overnights
productive and rewarding job
PARENT AIDE AND PARENTING PLUS PROGRAM WORKER (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 30, 2015
Supervise children and their birth families visits. Learned patience and good communication. Management and co workers were supportive. Hardest part of job was taking children who were scared to see their parents to their court ordered visits. Most enjoyable part of job was when parents did what court ordered and got their kids back.
Pros
rewarding job
Cons
no benefits
Fun place to work; flexible hours; family friendly
STAFF ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAMarch 12, 2013
Working at Child & Family Services has been a great experience. There are very few times I don't look forward to going to work in the morning. A relatively laid-back atmosphere usually awaits me, even when there are deadlines to be met. Management is very flexible when asked for any time off due to family situations. Of course, there are challenges, like at any other job, but the staff I work with (and Management) tend to make things easier. Being a non-profit agency has a lot to do with what I have described above, but it also means that, as an accounting clerk, I cannot aspire to more than I have achieved. Though the pay and benefits are relativley generous, there is no way to advance in my career, hence, my looking for a job. Too bad, because Child & Family Services is a great place to work!
Pros
great atmosphere, generous benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
too few to mention

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Child & Family Services. Our community is ready to answer.