Child & Family Services began in Newport, Rhode Island as two separate agencies: the Home for Friendless Children, later called the Children's Home of Newport, and the Charity Society of the City of Newport, founded in 1878 and later known as the Family Service Society.
The Home was opened in 1866 when "the attention of the ladies of Newport was drawn to the great want of shelter for orphans and children of destitute parents." The Society was organized as part of a movement to evaluate the needs of the poor and to help overcome poverty in the City.
The Home for Friendless Children began in a temporary location on Green Street in Newport. A year later, in 1867, the house at the corner of School, Mary, and High Streets along with a $500 endowment for repairs was donated to the Home by Mr. Christopher Townsend. Operating expenses were met by donations and subscriptions from the citizens of Newport.
The Home's efforts were aimed at providing children with shelter, food, clothing and schooling, and if possible placing them with families where the children could learn a trade or occupation. The goal was to keep the children under the Home's care "until their characters [were] formed, their principles well established and their health perfectly assured."
Since its post Civil War beginnings Child & Family Services has provided community members with comfort, support, guidance, and hope. The Agency has also served as a catalyst for community members to join together to identify and address community wide problems. Today, Child & Family Services continues to build upon the tradition of being responsive to the needs of the community.
The name of the Home for Friendless Children was changed to the Children's Home of Newport in 1954. Over time, the Children's Home became a temporary care facility and a child's stay was limited to six months.
The Home's services changed again in 1968 to provide day care and foster care and a strong casework component was also added at that time. – less – More from ZoomInfo »