Child and Family Services Agency Employee Reviews

Day at work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 2, 2015
Review court reports completed by social workers I supervise. The report provides background information on the child an parent such as school, health and any services they receive; individual, speech, occupational and physical therapy. The report also addresses service parents are receiving and any progress made. The parents are working towards reunification with their children.
Good paying workplace for starting social worker
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 25, 2015
A tough job with many challenges, but rewards of helping children in the child welfare system attain permanency. Pays much better than other starting social work jobs.
Child and Family Services Agency Family Support Worker
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2015
This is a challenging but rewarding place to work. I have gained insight into the field as a Social Worker Associate and a Family Support Worker which has made me an asset to this agency and any other agency where I'm employed. Although my co-workers and I are team players it is difficult, at times, to perform social work services for families with limited resources.
Pros
opportunities for grow and development
Cons
limited resouces for clients that need imediate services and support
Productive and easy going work place
IT Services Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 30, 2015
Just a regular typical day at work where I image computers configure printers. A normal eight hours five days a week job. Nothing spectacular
Pros
Off every weekend
Cons
no overtime
intense place to work but gained a lot of experience
Supervisory Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 11, 2015
Agency has a lot of very dedicated social workers who care about their work and the families they serve
Being in receivership under court monitoring makes the job difficult at times
Secretary/Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 16, 2015
Working for CFSA was very rewarding, I was able to grown in area that I knew I needed help in. Knowing that I was helping those who needed assisted and working in different systems was the most reward job I had.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Not following correct procalls.
The work is great
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 15, 2014
Overall, the work the agency is doing is great. however, the management team is not supportive unless you are another manager.
Pros
benefits and pay is great
Cons
management team is unprofessional
Daily Job Duties
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2014
I come in the morning check voicemail and check emails. Then I see if my supervisor is in need of any urgent material etc. I then follow up on anything that I had from the previous day that needs to be done. My daily incoming calls consist of me locating information in our data base to help an constituent to get to the next person to help them. I have had some gracious calls and then some that were very hard to manage but I handled them with no problem. I have had a caller to call very upset demanding things and cursing at me. I waited for the caller finish then in a calm voice I asked the caller if it was ok to ask her a few question and she angrily said yeah. I in turn tried to put myself in her situation and explained how things are suppose to go and gave her my personal situation she felt a lot better to know she was not the only one going through the situation. She later apologized or yelling and cursing at me and thanked me and send my supervisor an email about my customer service and my knowledge of he agency.
benefits
Cons
no job security after a certain grade level. only given raises every two years
Overtime, No balance between life a work, Ok management, Long hours, job stability, good benefits.
Family Assessment Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2014
Overall this is a good place to work to gain experience in the field. Most people say that if you can work at CFSA for a least on year, you can go anywhere in the field and this is proven true.

Money is good and you are able to receive overtime. However, the overtime sometimes becomes a con because it becomes "mandatory" once you fall behind on your cases which is inevitable because of the work load.

I reccommended working here as a CPS worker to gain expereince but that is all. After obtaining the necessary experience most people leave.
Pros
good experience, good benefits, flex work schedules, ability to do some work from home, ability to use work vehicles, overtime
Cons
long hours, "mandatory overtime", high case loads, high turnover rate, inability to balance work and home, limited cars availability
Great Place to work.
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 25, 2014
Child and Family Services Agency is a great place to work. You make lots of friends and meet with important people. Co-workers are helpful in any given situation. We work as team to get the job done.
Pros
you have one hour for lunch and break at your discretion.
Cons
yes! we have short breaks and time to make doctor's appointments.
Cleaning
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 20, 2013
This was a project that I started, I cleaned resident and private home for the elderly. This was a good experience for me, working to clean the environment for the elderly, also a sad once because you build a relationship with them and to learn of their passing make it a little hard to work.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Great learning experience
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2013
It was wonderful to work in an environment with co-workers who are incredibly passionate about the work that they do.
Pros
great insurance benefits, wonderful co-workers, very rewarding work
Cons
emotionally difficult work
Personally rewarding work!
Social Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 23, 2013
I really loved the work I did, helping families and children maintain a healthy safe, and stable home environment. The work was personally rewarding for me. My co-workers were very supportive and instrumental in helping me with my academic and career pursuits by providing me with training, resources, and encouragement. Past supervisors were very supportive as well, and challenged me to excel in my performance. What i did not like about the Agency was that Management (above the supervisory level) did not have respect for support staff and created an environment that was not unified, in that favoritism was given to the Social Workers, which seemed to divide support staff from the social work staff, instead of encouraging "team work". Other reasons included were that the Agency did not encourage educational growth for non-social work staff, there were no incentives for educational pursuits, and no growth opportunities for support staff.
Pros
flexability, decent salaries, supportive co-workers
Cons
no academic or growth incentives
Challenging experience interacting with children and families of the District
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2012
Managing the day to day operations of three Supervisory Social Workers, fifteen Masters level Social Workers and one Clerk. Our staff learned to work cohesively as a team. Our staff was responsible for monitoring caseloads consisting of children and families,where the children had been removed by Family Court,and placed in foster care. Our staff worked closely with judges, attorneys, therapists, teachers medical staff, and various other community agencies in providing the best services possible for our clients. Social Workers attended family team meetings, treatment team meetings, court hearings, special education meetings, conferences with our clients' teachers, and other close contacts of every family. The hardest part of the job was leading my staff through the frequent changes in policy/protocol at the agency. The most enjoyable part of the job was the positive anticipation of going to work each day and knowing that our staff had such a highly professional work ethic. We truly wanted all staff to have a pleasant experience each and every day.
Pros
this child welfare agency is becoming a model for the nation.
Cons
agency is in constant change mode(downsizing, while seeking to improve services to children and families)
Internship!!
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2012
Basic office job! I made some great connections and life long friends here and I learned that when in trouble you can always turn to those who care for you.
Social Worker Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 22, 2012
Providing permanency placement for children and families. Conducting case assessment/case management and helping families get help for reunification purposes. Working with foster and kinship parent with documentation for adoption where legal status is converted.
Providing an array of prevention services, which includes family stabilization, comprehensive community based services, and intensive time-limited, home based services to families
Pros
na
Cons
na

Child and Family Services Agency Reviews by Location