Child and Family Services Agency

Child and Family Services Agency Employer Reviews

Overtime, No balance between life a work, Ok management, Long hours, job stability, good benefits.
Family Assessment Social Worker (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 7, 2014
Pros: good experience, good benefits, flex work schedules, ability to do some work from home, ability to use work vehicles, overtime
Cons: long hours, "mandatory overtime", high case loads, high turnover rate, inability to balance work and home, limited cars availability
Overall this is a good place to work to gain experience in the field. Most people say that if you can work at CFSA for a least on year, you can go anywhere in the field and this is proven true.

Money is good and you are able to receive overtime. However, the overtime sometimes becomes a con because it becomes "mandatory" once you fall behind on your – more... cases which is inevitable because of the work load.

I reccommended working here as a CPS worker to gain expereince but that is all. After obtaining the necessary experience most people leave. – less
Great Place to work.
Social Worker (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 25, 2014
Pros: you have one hour for lunch and break at your discretion.
Cons: yes! we have short breaks and time to make doctor's appointments.
Child and Family Services Agency is a great place to work. You make lots of friends and meet with important people. Co-workers are helpful in any given situation. We work as team to get the job done.
Cleaning
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 20, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: nothing
This was a project that I started, I cleaned resident and private home for the elderly. This was a good experience for me, working to clean the environment for the elderly, also a sad once because you build a relationship with them and to learn of their passing make it a little hard to work.
Great learning experience
Social Worker (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: great insurance benefits, wonderful co-workers, very rewarding work
Cons: emotionally difficult work
It was wonderful to work in an environment with co-workers who are incredibly passionate about the work that they do.
Personally rewarding work!
Social Services Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: flexability, decent salaries, supportive co-workers
Cons: no academic or growth incentives
I really loved the work I did, helping families and children maintain a healthy safe, and stable home environment. The work was personally rewarding for me. My co-workers were very supportive and instrumental in helping me with my academic and career pursuits by providing me with training, resources, and encouragement. Past supervisors were very supportive – more... as well, and challenged me to excel in my performance. What i did not like about the Agency was that Management (above the supervisory level) did not have respect for support staff and created an environment that was not unified, in that favoritism was given to the Social Workers, which seemed to divide support staff from the social work staff, instead of encouraging "team work". Other reasons included were that the Agency did not encourage educational growth for non-social work staff, there were no incentives for educational pursuits, and no growth opportunities for support staff. – less
Challenging experience interacting with children and families of the District
Program Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: this child welfare agency is becoming a model for the nation.
Cons: agency is in constant change mode(downsizing, while seeking to improve services to children and families)
Managing the day to day operations of three Supervisory Social Workers, fifteen Masters level Social Workers and one Clerk. Our staff learned to work cohesively as a team. Our staff was responsible for monitoring caseloads consisting of children and families,where the children had been removed by Family Court,and placed in foster care. Our staff worked – more... closely with judges, attorneys, therapists, teachers medical staff, and various other community agencies in providing the best services possible for our clients. Social Workers attended family team meetings, treatment team meetings, court hearings, special education meetings, conferences with our clients' teachers, and other close contacts of every family. The hardest part of the job was leading my staff through the frequent changes in policy/protocol at the agency. The most enjoyable part of the job was the positive anticipation of going to work each day and knowing that our staff had such a highly professional work ethic. We truly wanted all staff to have a pleasant experience each and every day. – less
Internship!!
Student Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 2, 2012
Basic office job! I made some great connections and life long friends here and I learned that when in trouble you can always turn to those who care for you.
Social Worker Intern (Current Employee), Washington DCMarch 22, 2012
Pros: na
Cons: na
Providing permanency placement for children and families. Conducting case assessment/case management and helping families get help for reunification purposes. Working with foster and kinship parent with documentation for adoption where legal status is converted.
Providing an array of prevention services, which includes family stabilization, comprehensive – more... community based services, and intensive time-limited, home based services to families – less