CHILD AND FAMILY SERVICES

CHILD AND FAMILY SERVICES Employer Reviews

To see all the children being so well taken care of is inspirationally
Accounts Payables (Former Employee), Hobbs, NMAugust 18, 2014
Very good people to work for and a very concerned in children lives.
Dealing with Insurance
Shelter Advocate (Current Employee), Benton Harbor, MIAugust 13, 2014
A typical day at work is an 8 hour shift talking on the phone to both members and providers who service members with a Medicare Advantage plan offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.

Everyday is kind of repetitive which is one of the main reasons I wanted to seek employment elsewhere. There isn't much difference from one to the next, besides – more... the fact that you never know what kind of attitude a member is going to take with you. They take their insurance policies really serious, which is understandable, however, they shoot the messenger for supplying them with information they were not expecting or did not want to receive.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the fact that if you make a difference with even just one member that's something that sticks with you forever. You could be the difference between a member owing hundreds of dollars for a service they received and owing a hundred dollars because their claim was not processed correctly.

The hardest part would have to be there isn't much room for advancement. You don't receive raises, even when going through additional training to be able to service providers. You do more work for the same amount of pay day in and day out. – less
Excellent Benefits
Forensics Investigator (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 28, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: hours
A typical day entailed investigating abuse and neglect cases. Conducting home visits. Developing treatment plans, crisis management and reports.

I learned how to work under high levels of stress.

Co-workers were excellent people who supported each other.

The high demand and stress involved.

A rewarding job. You felt you were making a difference.
DAILY SCHEDULE
Home Health Advocate (Former Employee), Grand Island, NEApril 25, 2014
Pros: everyone is great, paid for college courses
Cons: pay
Receptionist
• Responsible for answering a 12 line switchboard
• Examined all photo identification and sign-in for visitors
• Routed possible customers to the proper employees for airborne and industrial product
• Distributed all incoming mail and handled outgoing mail
• Assisted Customer Service Representatives for various duties
Home Health Advocate
 – more... Established a caring relationship of mutual trust and respect with the family
• Scheduled and conducted weekly home visits with parents and children
• Taught families the principles of child health and safety
• Coordinated with Center Director, Specialists, Parents and Community Staff
• Followed up on referral services for children
• Identified family needs
• Arranged transportation for certain services, if needed
• Maintained confidentiality of family/child information
• Assisted families in applying for Medicaid
• Protected children from physical and verbal abuse by anyone in the program
• Participated in all meetings and attended seminars and training – less
Positive work environment
Therapeutic Mentor (Current Employee), Hyannis, MAApril 7, 2014
Positive work environment but job location was different than upon hire causing employee to travel a considerable amount more than expected during course of work.
I have enjoyed my time at the above employment and seek full time employment.
Social Worker (Current Employee), HamiltonMarch 16, 2014
Pros: constant training opportunities, generous salary, supportive supervision
Cons: temporary employment with a hiring freeze.
I was given an opportunity to gain valuable experience under the direction of highly professionals at the above government services. I had the opportunity for constant training and progress.

The hiring freeze in all government arenas has forced me to seek stable employment as I have been hired as a temporary additional and the possibility of the contract – more... not being renewed for all temporary additional workers.

I will always appreciate the valuable experience I encountered under this environment. – less
Supportive
In Home Therapy Clinician (Current Employee), Fall River, MAMarch 9, 2014
Company is very supportive. They offered me an internship then followed with a position.
Nice place to work
Outpatient therapist (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIFebruary 23, 2014
Cons: do not hire full time, no benefits, no advancement
Good management and very nice people to work with. My office is nice and clean. Building is very nice and in a safe area. Co-workers are skilled and professional. Supervision is good with emphasis on keeping paperwork as minimal as possible. They allow therapists to be flexible with thier schedules. I would recommend this agency to a family member who – more... needed counseling. – less
Very fun place to work
Senior Family Support/Customer Relations (Former Employee), ‘Ewa Beach, HIJanuary 8, 2014
This job entails working with many different ethnicity, beliefs and cultures. I really enjoyed going to work everyday because I loved my job and working with the children and their caregivers to provide a healthy development and environment for the children.
ok
Child Care Therapy Aid (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYDecember 26, 2013
Its okay. long hours.
a lot of paperwork
immediate supervisors were great
co workers were even better
Foster parent
Foster parent, Teaching Family Homes (Former Employee), Marquette, MIDecember 16, 2013
We didn't get a chance to work with them, no kids were placed with us.
Wonderful state job, great work environment.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Manchester, NHOctober 3, 2013
Alphabetized, time stamped, reviewed and filed caregiver’s weekly timesheets
Handled phone calls, and set-up intake appointments for potential new clients
Reviewed caregiver’s weekly scheduled hours and ensured they matched the caregiver’s actual weekly hours
Created new client files
Managed Program Director’s calls when unavailable
Worked on small – more... projects delegated from Program Director, Scheduler and Billing Specialist – less
Rewarding, balanced, great team, great place.
Community Educator (Former Employee), West Springfield, MAAugust 11, 2013
Pros: scheduled but flexible.
Productive, rewarding, busy schedule but balanced, great team to work with, great place.
Work environement great- shared office with 1 other person.minimual supervision
Payroll Processor and Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore MarylandJune 13, 2013
Pros: good relationship with coworkers. exposure to various ethnicities
Cons: lack of healthcare./ low wages
My experience was extremely positive. The assignments that I was
given did allow me to acquire a new skill. That of Payroll Assistant.After one year I was hired full time by the second company that I was assigned to.

This is the type of result a program like this should yield.Also the agency does support its people...That is a big plus.

There are – more... pros and cons about any job/program. Lunch time should be paid and it should be at least 45 minutes. employers work you like mules when they do not have to pay and they tend to leave you out of the small perks..... Like....Lunch. (Ha).
Having to report to home office on occassion was a nuisance. I suppose it is necessary. Also the salary should be higher or the hours should be increased. – less
Enjoyable supervisors with nice children
Residential Treatment Counselor (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYApril 1, 2013
Nice work environment. Was not my working environment though.
A great place to work!
Clinical Intern (Current Employee), Middletown, RIMarch 9, 2013
I have learned a lot and it has given me the experience needed to excel in the mental health field.
Fun work place, high stress level, organization is important.
Foster Care Specialist (Current Employee), Traverse City, MIFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: flexibility, ability to work from home, good co-workers
Cons: long hours, high stress level, low pay, poor benefits
Unpredictable. I never know where I will be or what I will be doing. I deal with a wide variety of people that need me to be the person that is available to them at any given time. My job is highly stressful and busy. It is necessary to be organized and able to change gears at any moment. Having the abiltiy to communicate on many levels is imparitive. – more... I work with Judges, Lawyers, Medical Specialists, Educators, and a wide range of economic backgrounds.
My co-workers are a great group of people who are compassionate and caring, not only with the clients but with each other.
The hardest part of my job is the constant level of stress.
Oh, and it's VERY important to have a sense of humor!!!! – less
Disrespectful to employees
Employee (Current Employee), The Queen City, NYJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: vacation time, dental, eye health insurance
Cons: management lacking, management poor, punative, staff morale low
As an employee, Child and Family Services has undergone many changes to their management, which has affected the workers morale. Many managers are negative, egocentric and disrespectful. They do not look at the workers as people- but as products. Counselors who are right out of school seem to quit after 1 year. And counselors with more experience are – more... treated poorly and questioned about their time with their clients. All in all, the management is foregoing the tenants of the company as a not-for profit, which specializes in helping children and their families TO For-Profit, and jam as many clients into your caseload as possible- creating worker burn-out. The clients are suffering, families are suffering, the staff is suffering. Not a good place to work.- Run far away.!~ as fast as you can. – less
Nice experience
Preschool Group Leader (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: diversity in the workplace
Cons: large agency, won't get the opportunity to know everybody
I worked part time at Child and Family Services in Buffalo, NY. I worked in my position for about 2 1/2 years. I can honestly say that I enjoyed my experience and I learned a lot about children, families, and community resources. I appreciated the employee awards dinner. It was good to see dedicated people get recognized. I was able to attend trainings, – more... brush up on key case management skills, and work with a diverse group of people. I cannot speak on working there full time but my experience served as a great foundation for my career. – less
Productive and fun environment to work and interact with teens
Behavior Aide (Former Employee), Dothan, ALNovember 25, 2012
Pros: learning environment
Cons: not enough working hours
A typical day at work would be interacting with the teens and learning about there life and what hardships they went through. I talked and comfort them. We done daily basic skills. I taught them how to cook and prepare meals and the correct way to maintain good personal hygiene. The management was nice and friendly treated employees like family.My co-workers – more... were fun to work with, I learned from them and they learned from me. What I enjoyed most about the job were the teens because I love children. – less

About CHILD AND FAMILY SERVICES

Child & Family Services began in Newport, Rhode Island as two separate agencies: the Home for Friendless Children, later called – Read more