CHILD AND FAMILY SERVICES Employee Reviews

One of my favorite internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 14, 2016
This was one of my favorite internship's, if there was a job opening at the time i would have applied. I learned many things from this internship and meet many people who were very patient along the way.
Great agency with lots of purpose and results in helping families
Home Visitor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 30, 2015
Challenging and rewarding work going into families' homes and working with them to meet their family's needs. Learned to listen and advise and support and encourage families. Management and coworkers are supportive and helpful. Hardest part of job is getting some clients to overcome their drug addictions to better their lives. Most enjoyable part of job is seeing families meet their goals
Pros
great programs for families
Cons
per diem - no benefits
Nice place to work
Outpatient therapist (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIFebruary 23, 2014
Good management and very nice people to work with. My office is nice and clean. Building is very nice and in a safe area. Co-workers are skilled and professional. Supervision is good with emphasis on keeping paperwork as minimal as possible. They allow therapists to be flexible with thier schedules. I would recommend this agency to a family member who needed counseling.
Cons
do not hire full time, no benefits, no advancement
Fun work place, high stress level, organization is important.
Foster Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 25, 2013
Unpredictable. I never know where I will be or what I will be doing. I deal with a wide variety of people that need me to be the person that is available to them at any given time. My job is highly stressful and busy. It is necessary to be organized and able to change gears at any moment. Having the abiltiy to communicate on many levels is imparitive. I work with Judges, Lawyers, Medical Specialists, Educators, and a wide range of economic backgrounds.
My co-workers are a great group of people who are compassionate and caring, not only with the clients but with each other.
The hardest part of my job is the constant level of stress.
Oh, and it's VERY important to have a sense of humor!!!!
Pros
flexibility, ability to work from home, good co-workers
Cons
long hours, high stress level, low pay, poor benefits
Negative environment
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 9, 2012
A good place to start your career right out of school. They pay for licensure, CEU's, and offer free supervision, but the pay and benefits are terrible. Management is lacking, the work load is immense, and they haven't given raises for years. The atmosphere is very negative and the front line-workers are not respected.
Pros
pay for licensure and free supervision
Cons
terrible pay and benefits, no raises
Nice experience
Preschool Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 25, 2013
I worked part time at Child and Family Services in Buffalo, NY. I worked in my position for about 2 1/2 years. I can honestly say that I enjoyed my experience and I learned a lot about children, families, and community resources. I appreciated the employee awards dinner. It was good to see dedicated people get recognized. I was able to attend trainings, brush up on key case management skills, and work with a diverse group of people. I cannot speak on working there full time but my experience served as a great foundation for my career.
Pros
diversity in the workplace
Cons
large agency, won't get the opportunity to know everybody
Good Place to work
Per Diem Behavioral Counselor (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJune 24, 2015
This is a position in which you are able to learn how to deal with children with behavioral issues. These children's ages range from 4-17 yrs old and they have many different psychological issues and concerns. Management is always available to assist you if you are in need, the staff members are great to work with and are very eager to assist you if you need the extra hand. Compensation for a per-diem employees is very good and you are usually offered many different shifts, they are able to work with you when it comes to your own personal schedule. The hardest part of the job is dealing with small children with behavioral issues, for example a 4 yr old that only wants his or her mother and is not able to contact them at any time due to allegations of neglect, abuse, or any other issues. Or the child that is a bit older and knows right from wrong but is not able to control his or her behavior due to things that have happened to them in the past, abuse, violence, bullying, or depression. Also having to see the same children on numerous occasions, however this assists with developing relationships with these children and them being more comfortable speaking with you because they know you, and are now comfortable with you as a person and staff member. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting these beautiful children and seeing glimpses of who they truly are and what they want to be after treatment.
Pros
Free lunch, supportive, assistive staff and management
Cons
NO BREAKS really, having to restrain children, being beat up on daily basis
Dealing with Insurance
Shelter Advocate (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIAugust 13, 2014
A typical day at work is an 8 hour shift talking on the phone to both members and providers who service members with a Medicare Advantage plan offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.

Everyday is kind of repetitive which is one of the main reasons I wanted to seek employment elsewhere. There isn't much difference from one to the next, besides the fact that you never know what kind of attitude a member is going to take with you. They take their insurance policies really serious, which is understandable, however, they shoot the messenger for supplying them with information they were not expecting or did not want to receive.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the fact that if you make a difference with even just one member that's something that sticks with you forever. You could be the difference between a member owing hundreds of dollars for a service they received and owing a hundred dollars because their claim was not processed correctly.

The hardest part would have to be there isn't much room for advancement. You don't receive raises, even when going through additional training to be able to service providers. You do more work for the same amount of pay day in and day out.
I have enjoyed my time at the above employment and seek full time employment.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  HamiltonMarch 16, 2014
I was given an opportunity to gain valuable experience under the direction of highly professionals at the above government services. I had the opportunity for constant training and progress.

The hiring freeze in all government arenas has forced me to seek stable employment as I have been hired as a temporary additional and the possibility of the contract not being renewed for all temporary additional workers.

I will always appreciate the valuable experience I encountered under this environment.
Pros
constant training opportunities, generous salary, supportive supervision
Cons
temporary employment with a hiring freeze.
Excellent Benefits
Forensics Investigator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 28, 2014
A typical day entailed investigating abuse and neglect cases. Conducting home visits. Developing treatment plans, crisis management and reports.

I learned how to work under high levels of stress.

Co-workers were excellent people who supported each other.

The high demand and stress involved.

A rewarding job. You felt you were making a difference.
benefits
Cons
hours
Very great place to work. The last seven years have been very rewarding to say the least. I really enjoy helping others.
Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALOctober 14, 2015
Working for Child And Family Services has been very rewarding. My day consists of monitoring students and their behaviors, assisting students with their assignments during class and assuring the safety of all students and staff.
Work environement great- shared office with 1 other person.minimual supervision
Payroll Processor and Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore MarylandJune 13, 2013
My experience was extremely positive. The assignments that I was
given did allow me to acquire a new skill. That of Payroll Assistant.After one year I was hired full time by the second company that I was assigned to.

This is the type of result a program like this should yield.Also the agency does support its people...That is a big plus.

There are pros and cons about any job/program. Lunch time should be paid and it should be at least 45 minutes. employers work you like mules when they do not have to pay and they tend to leave you out of the small perks..... Like....Lunch. (Ha).
Having to report to home office on occassion was a nuisance. I suppose it is necessary. Also the salary should be higher or the hours should be increased.
Pros
good relationship with coworkers. exposure to various ethnicities
Cons
lack of healthcare./ low wages
Disrespectful to employees
Employee (Current Employee) –  The Queen City, NYJanuary 31, 2013
As an employee, Child and Family Services has undergone many changes to their management, which has affected the workers morale. Many managers are negative, egocentric and disrespectful. They do not look at the workers as people- but as products. Counselors who are right out of school seem to quit after 1 year. And counselors with more experience are treated poorly and questioned about their time with their clients. All in all, the management is foregoing the tenants of the company as a not-for profit, which specializes in helping children and their families TO For-Profit, and jam as many clients into your caseload as possible- creating worker burn-out. The clients are suffering, families are suffering, the staff is suffering. Not a good place to work.- Run far away.!~ as fast as you can.
Pros
vacation time, dental, eye health insurance
Cons
management lacking, management poor, punative, staff morale low
Productive and fun environment to work and interact with teens
Behavior Aide (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALNovember 25, 2012
A typical day at work would be interacting with the teens and learning about there life and what hardships they went through. I talked and comfort them. We done daily basic skills. I taught them how to cook and prepare meals and the correct way to maintain good personal hygiene. The management was nice and friendly treated employees like family.My co-workers were fun to work with, I learned from them and they learned from me. What I enjoyed most about the job were the teens because I love children.
Pros
learning environment
Cons
not enough working hours
Lots of fun
certified facilitator (Current Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 12, 2015
I loved working with all the families here. It was a great experience where I was able to get to know families from all walks of life. I worked with the children the most. It was a real treat to see them change over the course of time and really grow.
mismanaged
Therapeutic Mentor (Current Employee) –  New Bedford MAMay 12, 2015
The company is currently in a financial hardship. The management and ceo made some poor business choices making the workplace a tough place to work with no stability.
This compnay was awesome and cared about the employees
Homemaker (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHApril 1, 2012
This company truly was the best. It couldn't pay much due to contract but there where very nice and they took your side. A lot of this job had to deal with clients and they made sure they protected you and cared about you. This job made me feel like i mattered and that I had decisions to make good judgments towards the client
Pros
client intereactions, great bosses, great employees
Cons
no insurance, or any kind of benefits
Social Service
Child and Family Support (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 23, 2014
As a social service worker, a typical day at work entails, making sure abused and neglected children have a voice. I have found that there are many challenges to working in the area of Family and Children Services. In my experience working with these children I am appalled at the conditions I find them in. Every child deserves to have love warmth and family members who are dedicated to making them feel safe and comfortable as possible in the environment they live in. Oftentimes this is not the case. I am proud of the service I give as a social service worker, so that I will be able to provide much needed services to these children. This will enable them to experience in their world a better and safer place. Also it will be a vehicle of transition them from a child in distress to a child who is in a safe environment to a child who in having their needs met.
Wonderful and supportive work environment
Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 25, 2014
A rare feeling of support while working in social services. Great management and run more like a business instead of a non profit, meaning there is less waste. Employees are given generous time off to avoid burn-out and bonuses when extra money is available.
Highly reccomend this employer!
Very fun place to work
Senior Family Support/Customer Relations (Former Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HIJanuary 8, 2014
This job entails working with many different ethnicity, beliefs and cultures. I really enjoyed going to work everyday because I loved my job and working with the children and their caregivers to provide a healthy development and environment for the children.