CHILD AND FAMILY SERVICES Employee Reviews in United States

Foster Home Therapist
Foster Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Kahului, HINovember 10, 2015
The company provided foster homes for children and teenagers. The foster parents were usually very kind and generous. I was able to work with both the foster parents and the children by seeing the needs on either side. Assisted them in finding solutions in conflicts. Provided therapy for children. Taught classes for foster parents.
Pros
Provided a needed service.
Cons
Unclear communication
Very great place to work. The last seven years have been very rewarding to say the least. I really enjoy helping others.
Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dothan, ALOctober 14, 2015
Working for Child And Family Services has been very rewarding. My day consists of monitoring students and their behaviors, assisting students with their assignments during class and assuring the safety of all students and staff.
Lots of fun
certified facilitator (Current Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 12, 2015
I loved working with all the families here. It was a great experience where I was able to get to know families from all walks of life. I worked with the children the most. It was a real treat to see them change over the course of time and really grow.
nice place to work in.
Home Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJuly 13, 2015
I loved working for this company because I got to help a lot of people that needed my help with whatever they needed help with.
Good Place to work
Per Diem Behavioral Counselor (Current Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJune 24, 2015
This is a position in which you are able to learn how to deal with children with behavioral issues. These children's ages range from 4-17 yrs old and they have many different psychological issues and concerns. Management is always available to assist you if you are in need, the staff members are great to work with and are very eager to assist you if you need the extra hand. Compensation for a per-diem employees is very good and you are usually offered many different shifts, they are able to work with you when it comes to your own personal schedule. The hardest part of the job is dealing with small children with behavioral issues, for example a 4 yr old that only wants his or her mother and is not able to contact them at any time due to allegations of neglect, abuse, or any other issues. Or the child that is a bit older and knows right from wrong but is not able to control his or her behavior due to things that have happened to them in the past, abuse, violence, bullying, or depression. Also having to see the same children on numerous occasions, however this assists with developing relationships with these children and them being more comfortable speaking with you because they know you, and are now comfortable with you as a person and staff member. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting these beautiful children and seeing glimpses of who they truly are and what they want to be after treatment.
Pros
Free lunch, supportive, assistive staff and management
Cons
NO BREAKS really, having to restrain children, being beat up on daily basis
the only job I ever quit
CRISIS CLINICIAN (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MAMay 20, 2015
Very unsafe work environment with poor hours and extremely poor staffing, unprofessional conduct of supervisors (whom have since left), the most enjoyable part of the job was doing 1:1 crisis evaluations but the paperwork was long and tedious, the worst place to work in human service field.
mismanaged
Therapeutic Mentor (Current Employee) –  New Bedford MAMay 12, 2015
The company is currently in a financial hardship. The management and ceo made some poor business choices making the workplace a tough place to work with no stability.
fun and interesting
N/A (Former Employee) –  Washington, dcApril 27, 2015
i learned how to solicit. i learned how to dress professionally. my co-workers where pretty understanding about everything.
Great agency with lots of purpose and results in helping families
Home Visitor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 30, 2015
Challenging and rewarding work going into families' homes and working with them to meet their family's needs. Learned to listen and advise and support and encourage families. Management and coworkers are supportive and helpful. Hardest part of job is getting some clients to overcome their drug addictions to better their lives. Most enjoyable part of job is seeing families meet their goals
Pros
great programs for families
Cons
per diem - no benefits
Social Service
Child and Family Support (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 23, 2014
As a social service worker, a typical day at work entails, making sure abused and neglected children have a voice. I have found that there are many challenges to working in the area of Family and Children Services. In my experience working with these children I am appalled at the conditions I find them in. Every child deserves to have love warmth and family members who are dedicated to making them feel safe and comfortable as possible in the environment they live in. Oftentimes this is not the case. I am proud of the service I give as a social service worker, so that I will be able to provide much needed services to these children. This will enable them to experience in their world a better and safer place. Also it will be a vehicle of transition them from a child in distress to a child who is in a safe environment to a child who in having their needs met.
Fast paced but friendly
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 22, 2014
Day to day administrative and receptionist duties.
Making sure all the supplies where filled for both offices.
schedule meetings and do meeting minutes.
Wonderful and supportive work environment
Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 25, 2014
A rare feeling of support while working in social services. Great management and run more like a business instead of a non profit, meaning there is less waste. Employees are given generous time off to avoid burn-out and bonuses when extra money is available.
Highly reccomend this employer!
To see all the children being so well taken care of is inspirationally
Accounts Payables (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMAugust 18, 2014
Very good people to work for and a very concerned in children lives.
Dealing with Insurance
Shelter Advocate (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIAugust 13, 2014
A typical day at work is an 8 hour shift talking on the phone to both members and providers who service members with a Medicare Advantage plan offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.

Everyday is kind of repetitive which is one of the main reasons I wanted to seek employment elsewhere. There isn't much difference from one to the next, besides the fact that you never know what kind of attitude a member is going to take with you. They take their insurance policies really serious, which is understandable, however, they shoot the messenger for supplying them with information they were not expecting or did not want to receive.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the fact that if you make a difference with even just one member that's something that sticks with you forever. You could be the difference between a member owing hundreds of dollars for a service they received and owing a hundred dollars because their claim was not processed correctly.

The hardest part would have to be there isn't much room for advancement. You don't receive raises, even when going through additional training to be able to service providers. You do more work for the same amount of pay day in and day out.
Excellent Benefits
Forensics Investigator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 28, 2014
A typical day entailed investigating abuse and neglect cases. Conducting home visits. Developing treatment plans, crisis management and reports.

I learned how to work under high levels of stress.

Co-workers were excellent people who supported each other.

The high demand and stress involved.

A rewarding job. You felt you were making a difference.
benefits
Cons
hours
Daily schedule
Home Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEApril 25, 2014
Receptionist
• Responsible for answering a 12 line switchboard
• Examined all photo identification and sign-in for visitors
• Routed possible customers to the proper employees for airborne and industrial product
• Distributed all incoming mail and handled outgoing mail
• Assisted Customer Service Representatives for various duties
Home Health Advocate
• Established a caring relationship of mutual trust and respect with the family
• Scheduled and conducted weekly home visits with parents and children
• Taught families the principles of child health and safety
• Coordinated with Center Director, Specialists, Parents and Community Staff
• Followed up on referral services for children
• Identified family needs
• Arranged transportation for certain services, if needed
• Maintained confidentiality of family/child information
• Assisted families in applying for Medicaid
• Protected children from physical and verbal abuse by anyone in the program
• Participated in all meetings and attended seminars and training
Pros
everyone is great, paid for college courses
Cons
pay
Positive work environment
Therapeutic Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hyannis, MAApril 7, 2014
Positive work environment but job location was different than upon hire causing employee to travel a considerable amount more than expected during course of work.
I have enjoyed my time at the above employment and seek full time employment.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  HamiltonMarch 16, 2014
I was given an opportunity to gain valuable experience under the direction of highly professionals at the above government services. I had the opportunity for constant training and progress.

The hiring freeze in all government arenas has forced me to seek stable employment as I have been hired as a temporary additional and the possibility of the contract not being renewed for all temporary additional workers.

I will always appreciate the valuable experience I encountered under this environment.
Pros
constant training opportunities, generous salary, supportive supervision
Cons
temporary employment with a hiring freeze.
Supportive
In Home Therapy Clinician (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAMarch 9, 2014
Company is very supportive. They offered me an internship then followed with a position.
Nice place to work
Outpatient therapist (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIFebruary 23, 2014
Good management and very nice people to work with. My office is nice and clean. Building is very nice and in a safe area. Co-workers are skilled and professional. Supervision is good with emphasis on keeping paperwork as minimal as possible. They allow therapists to be flexible with thier schedules. I would recommend this agency to a family member who needed counseling.
Cons
do not hire full time, no benefits, no advancement