Here are the premises:
1. ChildCare Careers does not give its customers any choice when it comes to who is sent as a substitute.
2. It is illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender.
3. The fact that gender discrimination is illegal does nothing to affect fear of men in the presence of children.
4. ChildCare Careers does not see the employee on the day that the employee is sent out to work.
5. In today’s economy, customers are precious and employees are a dime a dozen.
Put it together and you will see what you get if you are a male employee at ChildCare Careers. You take a shower, apply deodorant, brush your teeth, put on clean clothes, and show up on time with a cheerful smile. The director takes one look at you, sends you home, and tells ChildCare Careers that you showed up dirty and smelly. ChildCare Careers pretends to believe the customer, calls you back, chews you out for showing up dirty and smelly, and threatens to fire you.
After a while, I got tired of this pattern. I went back on the job search and got a job the next day.
The kids are delightful.
The adults AREN'T delightful.