Childhelp

Childhelp United States Employee Reviews

Good place but no benefits.
tbs coach (Former Employee), Beaumont, CAJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: hours toward license.
Cons: no guarantee on hours and no benefits.
I loved working here for the most part. I loved the fact I was getting hours toward licensure. I did not like the fact I had no benefits and the hours were not guaranteed.
Highly skilled in supervising and interacting with children positively
Child Care Worker (Current Employee), Beaumont, CANovember 5, 2014
Highly skilled in supervising and interacting with children positively
• Well versed in providing affection and safety to children
• Able to prepare hygienic meals
• Adept at directing children in eating, resting and personal cleanliness
• Proven record of handling private issues properly
• Demonstrated ability to provide proper direction of children in their daily routine
• Substantial knowledge of giving out medicine to children
Fun place to work at if you were invested in the needs of the children :)
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee), Lignum, VAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: free breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner for staff, faith based practices, sunday services at their chapel
Cons: expensive health care benefits, working with burned out staff, no support for burned out staff, the inconsistency of management, division of programs within the village
A typical day would be coming into work and checking your company e-mail for upcoming training or important memos. Then reading the log from the evening before to have an idea of how the children were the night before your shift. Then going onto the floor to help with the transition from the group home to breakfast and then to school. During school the job duties for the direct care staff would be to help with behavioral issues along with their educational needs. Focus was placed more on meeting their behavioral and emotional needs during the school day. In addition to helping with the children and their specific needs direct care would also help assist the teachers with each child's educational needs by means of either providing one on one support or playing an active role in the lesson plan. Management was constantly changing there seemed to be lack of consistency between the village and supervisor of each group home. They did offer excellent therapies such as art, library time, equine, recreation, earned outings within the community, and nature walks with the Chaplin who worked in the village. I liked that they had a faith based perspective along with a therapeutic sense to the village with the counselors and therapists who worked with each child on a weekly basis. The hardest part of the job for me was the lack of consistency between the the veteran staff and the staff that was new and fresh from training. The was a disconnect between the two groups of staff for some staff who had been their for some time did not necessarily focused on the over well-being of the child. Some – more... staff became to complacent in their job and viewed the children more like their own ( what they would do if it were their child) instead of focusing more on their individual needs, such as that they were there because of emotional and or behavioral issues, therefore, needed a compassionate approach. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing activities with the children and showing them that someone cared for them by being involved in what they were needing and wanting to help them through what they were feeling as well. Weekend outings where a great way for the children to still be a part of their community as well as help them work on developing and implementing social skills. Overall, the founders of the company had a great vision for the village and how they wanted it to be child focused! – less
Many may apply but few are chosen
Night Direct Care Worker (Former Employee), Lignum, VAJuly 14, 2014
Placing your fears and personal problems at the gate and focusing on the client in all factors. You leave sometimes feeling like you have done something to make the world a better place.
is a fun place to work for but there are no benefits
Medical Coordinator (Current Employee), Beaumont, CAJuly 9, 2014
days go fast here, is a pretty busy place, co-workers are nice and is an easy job
Loved helping the children
Behavioral Health Technician II (Former Employee), Wickenburg, AZJanuary 16, 2014
Good place to work at. They shut down and so stopped working there.
Jobs sucks your life and kicks you when you are down
Child Care Counselor (Former Employee), Lignum, VAJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: kids are cool
Cons: no breaks, if you are good they wil call you in all the time
Put my life and soul into this company and was not given any credit, did it for the kids, but a broken system is a broken system, this job is not for everyong and I would avoid it
A good experience
Social Work Intern (Former Employee), Redlands, CAJanuary 5, 2014
Coordinated and monitored visits for biological parents and children according to court rulings.
Horrible environment and bad management team!
Direct Care (Current Employee), Lingum VAOctober 1, 2013
Cleaning help with children. The management has no communication!
Productive and fun work place.
Residential Supervisor (Current Employee), Beaumont, CAAugust 8, 2013
Pros: flexible
Cons: n/a
Supervising atg risk children while implementing variosu therapeutic techniques to assist them with coping with their issues.
Productive and fun day doing crafts in class
Childcare Worker (Former Employee), Beaumont, CAJuly 2, 2013
Pros: helping kids
Cons: chasing kids
I would drive and get a couple kids for school. We get to school do school work, take kids for pe, and out for play time on the play ground. Get lunch watch a movie and do some crafts. Some days in there I would have to take one of the kids for a small walk due to if he/she gets overwelmed or angry. I have learned how to understand the problems the kids have and understand that they cant handle it like any other kids. My boss would come into help if we couldn't get the kids to calm down. I also had another co worker in the class that would help out with certain situations or if I can handle it he would help the teacher. The hardest part of my job was trying to stay calm and not get mad when they act out and trying to find them if they would run. I really enjoyed doing crafts with the kids and watching them do it themselves.
Chaos Central
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee), Lignum, VAApril 23, 2013
Pros: free meals, pretty drive to work, chance to make a difference with kids
Cons: atrocious and shady management, no support for staff, retaliatory culture of fear, intimidation of whistleblowers
I was asked to falsify a treatment document and honestly had no one to turn to. The management frightens and intimidates you into signing off on paperwork that is probably illegal. Lots of shady stuff, everyday. Something's fishy here, but I need a job so I keep my nose in my work and do what I can. Never seen so many children restrained in my life. It's sad. Really.
Amazing and impactful work with abused and neglected children
Activities Coordinator (Current Employee), Lignum, VAFebruary 21, 2013
Making a difference in children's lives through recreation. Teaching social skills through play, relationships and therapeutic interventions.
The only thing that has not changed in my 3 years are the kids, their issues/challenges and the opportunity to have a positive impact on them. Everything else (management, policies, organizational vision, structural integrity, professional cooperation, etc...) has changed, resulting in a very unstable company.
Awful and out of money
Drone (Former Employee), dronevilleJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: uh...
Cons: bankrupt, corrupt, a complete scam
Stay away! This place owes millions and does not have the $$ to pay it back. The founders never took a pay cut, but they cut everyone's pay and shut down program after program. They are outrageously paid while the average worker is on food stamps. The ladies sucked every dollar dry and the org is about to be history. Want to do good work for children? Do it somewhere that isn't a complete scam.
Increidble mission
Vice President (Former Employee), Headquarters, Scottsdale, AZJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: working on critical issues that affect the quality of life for children.
Cons: no comment.
Organization has an incredible mission. The management team of founders and executive board members have severe challenges that often conflict with the organizations ability to thrive so that those who are served can benefit.
Rewarding
Residential Child Care Worker (Current Employee), Beaumont, CADecember 15, 2012
Pros: i like my work schedule and the team i work wth.
Cons: can get a little busy and chaotic when a kid flips out.
Get to help children in need. The atmosphere is great, especially when everyone on your team knows what needs to be done.
Rewarding work that makes a difference
Outreach (Current Employee), Beaumont, CAJuly 10, 2012
Pros: $1 lunches when you are working!
Childhelp is a great place to work and is an organization you can be proud to be associated with. The management really cares about the children and co-workers are there for each other.
Working with foster children is challenging work, but some of the most rewardong work I've ever done.
Working with at risk youth
Child Care Worker (Former Employee), Culpeper, VAJune 11, 2012
Pros: no traffic to get to work, get to help children, very pretty campus (farm like)
Cons: 2 mile plus dirt road to facility, weird rotating shifts, under many changes at this time, little to no communication from management
Assist with children either with their educational needs and/or ADL's needs. Must like to be around or help at risk youth.

It is rewarding to assist children who needs a lot of attention. The downside to this the company is going through some serious changes at this time and the moral is really low.

I enjoyed the time I was there build a great network of people to assist with my new educational and career path. When they all started to leave it was no longer hard to read the writing on the wall.

This was a great place to work at one time. Like any social or human service work the pay is not great unless you like working a lot ( I mean a lot) of overtime. It has circum to the down economy and hired a new director who is only about saving money and do not seem to care about programing for the children or the welfare of its employees. I would feel bad to recommend this place at this time two years ago I would have said come on.
Great place to work-
Child Care Worker (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CAMay 15, 2012
Pros: the satifaction of helping someone
Cons: the hours
A typical day a work included working with 6 girls handling various problems and trying to prevent them from self destructive behavior or harming someone else. I also learned how to give the girls their medications and use crisis communication realizing that different techniques worked with different girls. I loved all of my coworkers we all worked really well together. The most enjoyable part of this job is realizing that you have help changed a persons life for the better.
Great Job
Child Care Counselor (Former Employee), Lignum, VAMarch 21, 2012
Staff was friendly, and the program was ran very well. Lots of Team Work there.

Childhelp Salaries