Children's Health System Employee Reviews

Friendly Environment
Worker's Compensation Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 30, 2017
Reviewed and handled new and old claims. Responded to phone calls. Able to reach out to co-worker for assistance. Able to take lunch breaks in a pleasant and friendly environment.
CDS technician at children's of Alabama
CDS / center supply (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 23, 2017
Cds technican/central supply ...This is the worst plz in the world to work I promise the management and hr is all in together this is a unfair job they will work you to death the employees that been there for years do whatever that want leave the job while on clock pick with other employess stay on break 2 and 3 hour at a time eveybody that work at children's know not to come to this department they cant keep nobody in this department because its the worst place to work if you work in this department and you not one of they favorite people they will pick with u about any and everything if I could post this a 100 times I will dont do it plz they dont pay you enough to go through all the pain,unfairness,sadness, depression you will go through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Everything about the job is a con
Very Productive place to grow in a career choice
Surgical Posting Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2017
Working for CNMC for the last 14 years has been such an experience. It has matured me into the woman that I am today. it has been a pleasure growing with the company.
Pros
Meeting beautiful children across the world.
Cons
N/a
Family Oriented Place to Work
Project Coordinator, Provider Services (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 24, 2017
I don't have anything bad to say about Children's. It is a great place to work. The company takes great care of it's employee. I'm only leaving because my job was dissolved.
Childrens Hospital is not a fun place to work
Communicator Specialist (Dispatcher) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 20, 2017
I can only speak for the security department at Children's Hospital, which is the worst dept one could every work for. Management is the worst and the moral is floor board low.
Hospital gives great care.
Program Director of Finance and Advanced Analytics (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 7, 2016
Clinically, I cannot say enough about Children's Medical Center and the care they give.

Management structure is too top-heavy (nine layers of management from front line to CEO). This has a direct effect on the speed at which decisions can be made.
disappointing
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 13, 2016
agree with what many others have posted, loved the job and working with kids but management in the place is severely lacking, should know - worked there over 20 yrs! (education, good work ethic, attitude, professionalism and dedication doesn't seem to matter much)
Productive and fun work place
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 5, 2016
Productive with a lot of fun and laughter. We work very well together and at a fast past at times. We are a learning institute so learning new was at better patient care is a top priority. The hardest part of the job is see very ill children and the family during these hard times.
This institution has taught me how to cope with different situation when the arise and to communicate more. To work with diverse people with a pleasant atmosphere.
Management leaves A LOT to be desired
RT (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 13, 2016
Open door policy only for looks. Employee opinion means nothing in the end. No room for advancement unless you're loud and or obnoxious. Seniority, education, experience doesn't matter.
Pros
Love working with kids
Cons
Too many unqualified Chiefs
Please seek other employment
Patient Registration Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 22, 2016
Very unprofessional management in the department I worked in. It may not be that bad but patient registration scheduling is a no no. Management is not fair and shows favoritism.
Pros
Not much
Cons
Unprofessional management, high turnover
Stressful and overall not a healthy work environment unless you have a top position within the company
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 31, 2016
This company does not have the reputation that it portrays. Depending on what level of employment you are on. This hospital places their nurses and doctors on a pedestal but their janitors and other support staff are often overlooked and not appreciated. There is a lot of unprofessionalism, work place bullying and harassment on the job done by some of the supervisors and nurses in some of the departments. And reporting a problem to a member of management you might want to make sure you want to have another job lined up afterwards. Nurses have actually told lies and gotten people fired because they had personal issues it is definetly not the place to go if you are seeking job security.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Toxic work, environments, lack of diversity in leadership roles
valuable but with difficulties
medical technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 9, 2016
The work was always valuable. Employees were supportive of each other. The work was often difficult and stressful. This was especially true when work on one specimen had to be disrupted because of the arrival of another specimen that was more urgent. Sometimes mistakes were also more likely in such situations. Managers were also likely to be error prone.
Pros
value of the work, support among employees
Cons
stress and compromises in the quality of the work
28 years of service meant nothing
Dept Director (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 26, 2016
I worked at Children's over 28 years when I was relieved of my job duties by Senior Administrator who wanted to go in a different direction with management
What this meant - hire someone younger- less experience- less education and pay less money. My years of dedicated service meant NOTHING
Cons
no loyalty to long term employees
helping hand
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 5, 2015
Working at Children's you learn to be passionate about helping keep children healthy and safe. You learn to love children and ways to keep them safe.
Pros
salary
Cons
hours
Very interested in helping people.
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, Al.May 8, 2015
I am interested in this job because I love taking care of patients and knowing that I can help someone.That is a blessing to me knowing that I can help heal someone.
Just a job!
lab (Former Employee) –  birmingham, alApril 2, 2015
I worked here for a long time and was very young when I started. I learned everything I needed to learn to move on to bigger and better things. Children's offers great benefits and job security. If you are looking for that, than by all means apply! With that being said, that is why the pay is not so great. I believe this company uses the excuse of "great benefits" to excuse the fact that they don't pay well.

Great place to be around different professions and soak up what you need to get ahead. Also, they offer tuition reimbursement, childcare, discounts, and other things. After you milk them for what you need, move on! I had bad experiences during my milking process and will never go back there if I had the choice.

This place is all about customer service, which I can appreciate and fully understand considering they work with children, but they can take it to the extreme and seek the customers opinion/word over yours. NO BACK-UP on your end; and I was hardly ever in any bad situations. Remember that!
Pros
Good way to gain education
Cons
Management and low pay
Trust me, not your dream job
RN (Former Employee) –  Floor nurseFebruary 25, 2015
I was very excited, actually ecstatic to get a position with Childrens when I became a nurse. Life long dream. I apparently built it up bigger in my head. Where to start? If you love to be highly highly micro managed, then this is the job for you my friend.. They write up nurses over every little thing. Even if you try to be the quiet one, there is so much cattiness, gossiping and pure hate between the women that work there. After you put in a notice, it doesnt matter if you have been here for years, they treat you like you never existed. They actually will do things like lock the break room door during lunch. The pay is also very low. My experience was not a good one, very disappointing. I barely got to see the kids after all the hooplah they put you through. If you love children and want a stable work environment, please think over the pros and cons of this job. I have worked at a few hospitals, this one is the least nice. Lets also mention I reached out to H.R. and was told to deal with it.
Bad Management, Low Compensation
Imaging (Former Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 2, 2015
Children's is a great place to work if you love helping children. Their compensation is lower than any surrounding Birmingham area hospital. I'm not really sure how they find managers. I know they don't like to pull from their staff. From my experience, they hire outside managers who are friends with the higher ups. It's all about who you know in this hospital. The very involved hiring process makes you think they are very picky with who they decide to hire. This is a trick to make you think that you should be happy with your very low hourly pay that they offer you.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Poor comensation, poor managment
Productive and fun
Access Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 15, 2014
Great company to work for, would love to work for them again.
A Joy
Unit Clerk/Clinical Aide (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 19, 2014
Working here I learned different approaches to so many people. I was taught by some of the most caring nurses I could ever ask for.