Children's Home + Aid Employee Reviews

Do not work here
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 24, 2016
The administrative team of the ELC fails to do what is best for the kids and instead they tend to do what is best for themselves. You know a work environment is bad when a teacher puts in their resignation and does not even give two weeks notice because she feels so ill-treated. Kids are constantly being moved from room to room. Often, the children moved are not kept in proper ratio or are placed in a room that is not age appropriate. Additionally, the teachers have no stability during the work day. Lunch breaks are irregular and at times you have to wait 45 minutes to get a bathroom break. Teachers are burnt out quickly due to low staffing at the agency. Employee turn over rate is high due to the ill-treatment and lack of compassion the administrative team has for their employees. The administrative team reprimands employees in front of other employees and constantly gossip in public areas. There is very little professionalism if any. Think twice before working here!!!! If you have no better option, take the job but be sure to keep your resume up to date.
Pros
forming relationships with caregivers and kids
Cons
irregular breaks, gossip, unprofessionalism, low staffing, low compensation, inconsistent expectations
Great workplace
Worker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 21, 2016
Children's home and aid is truly a gem. I have worked at many facilities working with young children, but this place truly takes the cake. My supervisors are compassionate and do a great job of guiding not only the children, but fellow coworkers in the right direction. I felt personally fulfilled and greatful to be working there; if I didn't decide to become a stay at home parent, I would still be there. Nothing but good things to say!
Inspiring and helpful workplace that cares about people
Student Family Liason (MHP) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2016
I love working for this agency. They love to see their employee grow and learn. Upper management is beyond helpful. The atmosphere is pleasant and inviting.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible schedules, room for growth
Cons
No guarantee for funding since we are funded by the state mostly.
All the money goes to the top execs and staff is unfairly compensated
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 16, 2016
While I loved my team at Children's Home and Aid and the work that I did, many that work there are overburdened and jaded and that makes for a negative work environment, and also affects job performance. Most upsetting, however, is how they unfairly apply their policies. For instance, those with a masters that have worked there for years are now paid even less than those coming in with only a Bachelors and no experience. They did not grandfather existing employees into this pay rate change. The CEO makes nearly 400K a year and yet they always speak of budget constraints and how they can't issue raises or match the 401k's. They speak of how much they value employees, but the compensation doesn't reflect this at all. I recognize that it is social work, and none of us entered this field for the money, but having these unfair, unequal policies leads to poor morale and the agency would do well to recognize this. It also leads to good people leaving because they become aware that they can be compensated more fairly elsewhere. All of this aside, however, there are some great supervisors there and these folks, along with some great co-workers made my time there very enjoyable. There are also a lot of training opportunities, so it is not all negative.
Pros
Flexibility, Training opportunities, rewarding work
Cons
poor, unfair compensation, some staff are very negative and jaded and shouldn't be doing this work
Good company, but
manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2015
Overall the company is very well funded, however in the early childhood program, the upper management team leaders are a bit dysfunctional. The program has great frontline staff, but they are underappreciated. This is a great place to work when you are first starting in the field of ECE. However if you do work here, do not internalize the experience.
Pros
Competitive pay, good executive leadership
Cons
Dysfunctional ECE management
F/T Employee
Service Work (Current Employee) –  Mid -westApril 19, 2013
Children's Home + Aid is a great agency to work for the employees and administrative personnel are all supportive providing a family like atmosphere. This agency is family friendly giving employees the ability balanced work and life. The benefits and vacation & holidays are great. Pay in social services is low no matter what agency you work for but this agency strives to pay a fair wage offering career development and specialized training. Overall this agency is the most fair social service agency I have worked for in a long time.
Pros
great benefits, pay and work/life balance
Cons
all those that go w/ working in social work
Dedicated staff towards making a difference in the lives of our youth and community.
Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2016
I have the most amazing co-workers and supervisor. We all strive to help the youth we serve and the most enjoyable part about it is seeing the work you put in through the work the youth put out.
teachers are wonderful,admin is unprofessional
teacher (Former Employee) –  Bloomington,ILApril 2, 2013
The teachers are amazing. They work hard and have little support from management. Working with the children was very rewarding.
Pros
pay is higher than most daycare centers, however support from admin is little to none, great benefits, and wonderful co-workers(other teachers)
Cons
management/ admin is very unprofessional, and doesn't respond to problems brought to their attention
I love it!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILNovember 24, 2015
This is, by far, the best place I've ever worked. The teachers genuinely care about the children and families and the facility is beautiful. The typical gossipy/clique-y atmosphere of an all female work place is nonexistent.
Pros
Since it is a nonprofit agency there are opportunities for student loan forgiveness
Cons
Internal promotions have left us short-staffed
Motivated and supported at the elc
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 21, 2016
Contrary to the review previously posted, I have only positive things to say about the current staff; particularly the administration. I can only speak on behalf of the current staff, though, as I am well aware that the previous administrative director was unprofessional/gossipped. The current staff do NOT gossip and administrative meetings are spent focusing on the best practices of child care and how to best accommodate to each child's specific strengths!
Both the director and assistant director of the Scott Early Learning Center have worked days much longer than their job descriptions require, as they are truly called to work with children and lead by example as compassionate and motivational leaders for the teaching staff. Their everyday examples of maintaining positive attitudes despite any type of obstacle thrown at them throughout the day have been a true inspiration. If I had to describe them in three words I would choose determined, hardworking, and resilient.
I am a teacher at the ELC and reading the previous review of the agency upset me because it is a public display of someone's opinion which is portrayed as factual information. So to uphold my honest character, I will do a brief analysis of the previous posting by addressing my opinions of the topics discussed:
They (the ELC administrative team) are constantly thinking of the children enrolled and how to best accommodate to their needs and do what is most beneficial for them. I am unsure if any professional work environment has been MORE supportive of me as the administrative staff at the
  more... ELC are continually checking up on me, my students, if they could help me in any way, and how my class is doing. I literally could not ask for better supervisors and cannot provide suggestions for improvement in their professional, supportive, and motivational demeanor. The administrative team is often seen throughout the building checking on the individual classroom's teacher-to-student ratios per specific age group. The accusation that teachers sometimes have to wait 45 minutes to get a bathroom break is absolutely absurd as every day I have seen the director and assistant director step in to help out. They are happy to help out and I have yet to hear any complaints from them about any faculty or staff members and I have been employed here for almost two years.  less
Pros
motivational and supportive supervisors, exciting and energetic work day, the ability to make a real and positive impact on the lives of many children, creativity is fostered throughout the ELC
Cons
short staffed due to previous administration's legacy
No loyalty to long-term employees
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILDecember 13, 2014
I enjoyed my job until there were staff changes that made us all miserable
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
awful upper management team! no support
abandon ship?
teacher (Current Employee) –  SchaumburgAugust 20, 2014
When a center averages one resignation per day, perhaps management is lacking
Pros
ok pay and benefits
Cons
no support, short breaks, nasty coworkers, clients playing the system
Fun place to work
Intern (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 21, 2015
I am an intern here at absolutely love it! The employees are very friendly, and you learn an abundance of information in a short time frame.
Professional but comfortable workplace with incentives
Foster Care Lead Secretary (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of filing, data entry, obtaining personal information for clients files, lead other foster care secretaries.
I have learned to become more efficient with word and exel
I get along well with my 80+ coworkers
The hardest part of the job is having contact with upset bio parents
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing I have the knowledge to correct mistakes within my program and help my coworkers learn more about there job.
Pros
pleasant work environment
Cons
not much room for advancement without a degree.
Loved my time here
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  ILJuly 22, 2015
It was a great time working with my team. Our supervisor was amazing and understanding of the stresses of the job. Hardest part of the job is definitely being able to complete paperwork on time, at the same time as conducting all your visitations for the week and mandatory meetings and/or court. If you love being busy, this is the job for you!
Horrible Management in CCRR
AOK (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILNovember 6, 2014
Management bullied some employees while showing favoritism to younger employees. One person was told they could do something, then the others would do the same thing and they would get "talked" to and written up. Looking for something else.
Pros
great promise of what it should be
Cons
management in ccr&r is horrible. favoritism and bullying of employees by management - stay away
Going downhill
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 24, 2014
Been there 10 years, used to be a much more child-focused organization. Also used to be more sensitive to employee needs. Now - all about money. Regions grow beyond what they can handle. Management is completely out of touch with day to day work. Pay is lower than any other agency and turnover shows it.
Pros
??
Cons
low pay, high stress, focus on money not kids
Satisfactory place to work
Administration (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2014
CH+A is relatively large, so there tends to be a substantial amount of bureaucracy and nepotism. There are many wonderful people that work at the organization, but due to poor leadership and management, the turnover rate for staff is quite high.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILFebruary 6, 2015
Job An agency to help children and families stay together and prevent children from being removed from their homes.
The agency is very beneficial to broken families and families adopting children without families. But the moral is very low and the employees are subject to layoff on a regular.
Pros
local, secure
Cons
lack of holidays
Exciting rewarding setting working with families.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bloomington ,September 9, 2013
The families and Co workers were awesome. Admin was a nightmare... The director and Vice President CEO are impervious to the issues at hand and they are not supportive to staff.
Cons
no staff coverage ..potty breaks for staff are non existent..high stress level.

2.7