CHILDREN'S HOME SOCIETY OF CALIFORNIA Employee Reviews

Great workplace
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orange, CANovember 3, 2016
Great work environment, managers are easy going and very knowledgeable. Excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits. Overall outstanding place to work as for in the IT department.
In meetings, they had us repeat "CHS is a great place to work."
Program Specialist/ Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 26, 2015
CASE MANAGEMENT PERSPECTIVE:

Coworkers-- for the most part were good people there to help the community. On the other hand, some were there for something to put on their resume and some just seemed comfortable because they knew their job and could care less about the service they were providing.

Leadership-- was severely lacking in all areas. It seemed that they were there to pick on staff and keep a certain level of intimidation going. they did NOT support the staff. Especially the leader at the time (who has since been demoted). The whole place has been downsized to bare bones and i know it's because of the inept leadership. During my orientation/training I asked the "administrator" for information on where I could submit ideas. He laughed and literally said, and motioned to, the "round file." Also, at one point about a year in (behind closed doors), I even had my manager tell me she was told to pick on me--in not so many words-- I think because mostly because I had never bought in to the servant-like mentality. Many of us witnessed shadiness and reported it, and nothing was done. We were directed to process things anyway. Additionally, it was a silent rumor that there was subsidized childcare being given to an administrator (who obviously didn't qualify). I don't know if the person who found the file reported it or not.

Work-- the caseloads were unreasonable HIGH!!! There was no room for discussion on efficiency. The work was never done as that was the nature of the service (schedule changes, child care, payment according to contract). I have kept in touch with
  more... many coworkers and believe I started a trend when I left. It appears that many finally jumped ship and went through the same PTSD type withdrawal I did! Everyone that has moved on is s much happier and cant believe they subjected themselves to that abuse for so long.

Benefits-- On paper, the benefits and time off look great! Only, you dread taking time off because your work falls behind and adds to your stress levels. So many people accrue time to the point of "maxing out" because of this catch-22. the cycle never ends until you decide to get off the not-so-merry-go-round.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the coworkers and the ability to help the small handful of parents that REALLY needed the service and weren't just abusing the system.
Pros
You get to amp up your organizational and people skills
Cons
Evreything else...I still believe I had PTSD when I left (and I'm not the only one).
Great learning experience
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CADecember 1, 2014
I enjoy working and helping families and children. Its a stressful job its expected in Social Services field. It was much professional working environment. Its sad that the company had to laid off workers. I would take employment from Children's Home Society if they were hiring. I would love to see myself grow with such company.
Pros
one hour lunch/flex schedule
Good learning experience
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orange, CANovember 5, 2013
during the five years I worked here, it was a great learning experience for me. I worked with great people
Helping children and Families
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 5, 2013
Client’s relationship
Family relief
Regulating California funding
Organization and time management
Great professional relationship with the team.
Pros
No one looks over your shoulder. flexible hour, helping families
Cons
Government Funding is not available, The amount of work load.
High pace case management
Program Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CaliforniaApril 1, 2013
Children's Home Society is a non profit agency that provides subsidized child care to low income families. The case management work required excellent time management and multitasking skills to maintain a caseload of up to 250 families. I enjoyed creating a relationship with each parent that was seeking to improve their quality of life. I have learned to be flexible and resourceful with the guidance of the management team. The hardest part of this type of employment was making sure all deadlines were met on time for each family on my caseload. The enjoyable portion of the job was watching a family that was not able to pay for their own child care because of the lack of employment or education become self-sufficient, and no longer needing the assistance from the program. I had and have a great relationship with all my coworkers and I felt really supported.
Pros
excellent benefit package, creating and maintaining a professional relationship with people in the community.
Cons
there were no positions to advance up in the company.
Compassionate Children's Agency
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 15, 2013
Professional work environment with a rewarding community aspect. I was an integral part of the daily office operations from front desk operations and staffing, to inventory management, to archival processes, and safety management.
The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting families through the compliance and contractual processes at the state and federal level. I met a lot of wonderfully, compassionate people and forged rewarding relationships.
Good place to place to work for
Program Admin Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJanuary 1, 2013
I enjoyed my time at CHS. They have a great mission and do so much for our community. It makes you truly appreciate working for families and providers. I met a lot of good people and miss being a part of the mission of helping people get back up on their feet, whether it be for childcare assistance, providing resources, or finding quality childcare. .
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no job security (its an at will company and they have no structure when it comes to layoffs). also, we are state funded and every time there are state budget cuts, chs gets affected.
Taking care a children and teaching them something everyday
Child Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 4, 2012
Working here was a routine. Pick up the kids from school, help with their homework, cook, clean, and take them home. I was already trained to take care of kids, thus nothing was really learned. The hardest part about this job was trying to make sure everything was good for the kids and make sure I had all the expenses to get through the days. I enjoyed teaching the kids and seeing them advance in life.
Pros
work at home
Cons
making sure i had all that is needed for the kids

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CHILDREN'S HOME SOCIETY OF CALIFORNIA. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5