Children's Home Society of Florida Employee Reviews in United States

Overworked and under appreciated
Dependency Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake County, FLApril 12, 2016
I am a current case manger that has been in the field for about 6 months. If you're considering dependency, give it some serious thought because it's not for everyone.

Training was a joke. The 13 weeks of classes give you very minimal real field knowledge. All pre-service does is teach you how to pass the certification test.

Your schedule is never your own. Your time belongs to your clients and their needs. Planning can be near impossible as there will inevitably be events that will force you to abandon your current project and focus solely on that new situation.

You will never work just 8-5 on this job. Even when you think you're off the clock, you're really not. You will be sent emails well after business hours that contains information you need for the next day immediately upon arrival to work. Didn't check your email last night at 10:45PM when that email was sent? Your fault.

Management is equally as overworked. Want to speak with a supervisor or upper management after 4:00PM? Good luck! They are impossible to get a hold of

Speaking of management, having a good supervisor makes all the difference. My supervisor is probably 60/40. Sixty percent of the time she is a good supervisor. But the other fourty percent, totally awful! I am routinely spoken down to and demeaned both in private and in front of my colleagues. Upper management and supervisors have created an atmosphere of fear, making employees constantly worry about the status of their job.

I will never work in dependency again and I absolutely cannot wait until it's close enough to my moving date
  more... to quit.  less
Pros
Flexible schedule when allowed to flex
Cons
High stress, high turnover, high caseload numbers
Love my co-workers and the kids, making positive changes
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Joshua House - Lutz, FLApril 8, 2016
Love the kids and working with them is always a joy. My co-workers are amazing team players and we all work together to complete tasks. Upper management however seems to have a difficult time hearing and understanding the needs of direct-care workers, which can cause a disconnect between those making decisions and those having to deal with those decisions. On the bright side, CHS is making strides to implement new practice, to create a more positive and open culture, with a greater emphasis on active listening -- and that gives me hope that this good organization will become great again over the years of implementation.

The only other complaint is poor pay and under-staffed - topics I hope are being worked on as well.
Pros
Great Teamwork, Love the Kids
Cons
Upper management sometimes doesn't listen to needs, poor pay
HIgh Case Loads
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 17, 2016
Most enjoyable: working with children and families to develop a strong foundation and helping them access services.

Hardest part: High caseloads, high stress environment.
Very Productive
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMarch 2, 2016
It was very efficient and a great working environment. I worked the front desk and answered many telephone calls it was a very amazing experience being there.
Great Team
Accounting Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMarch 2, 2016
Dedicated individuals who are making a difference
The organization really works to offer great benefits to staff, they care about the work place environment and their employees.
Hard work but flexible
Lead Dependency Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 26, 2016
Not an average 8 -5p.m. job
Coworkers are very supportive
management has an open door policy
Enjoy working the youths
Enjoy the pros when traveling out of town
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Poor upper management, unrealistic expectations. High staff turnover
Dependency Case Management Supervidor (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLJanuary 24, 2016
I was hired as a Dependency Case Management Supervisor for what was a child welfare case management unit of 5 Dependency Case Manager's (DCM). After I was given minimal training, I was thrown to the wolves with unrealistic upper management expectations. I routinely would work between 70-80 hours per week with no support from upper management. The culture within the organization is poor with the case managers being overworked with the number of cases for which they were accountable. The turnover of the DCM's was close to 50% during my tenure. Staff morale was horrible with no feasible end in sight. I would NOT RECOMMEND this agency to ANYONE who values their work/home life balance.
Pros
Professional work environment
Cons
Unrealistic workload, poor support from upper management.
Too long of a hiring process!
CLINICAL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLJanuary 21, 2016
If you are looking for a job and don't mind presenting 5 references, multiple documents from drug screens, to criminal background to credit checks and your college transcripts ect. then this might be a job for you.
This organization takes a long time to process your hiring paperwork, and that doesn't include the two hour interview process as well. I received different hiring information from the recruiting coordinator, and the human resources person.
None of the required documents they wanted from me was submitted to me in a timely manner. They can attempt to defend their practices all they want. However, in this era of transparency, they would do well to state their hiring processes up to the applicants, so the applicant can make informed decisions as to where to place their time.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Read Enclosed
Enjoyable place to work
Conselor II (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 7, 2016
I am currently employed as a clinical counselor. The entire management is very welcoming and concerned for your well being. This job is challenging and fulfilling. The management is very considerate and easy to work with. Love this job!!!
Pros
wonderful managment
Cons
none at this time
Caring and productive staff
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Ft. Pierce, FLJanuary 5, 2016
Working with kids is great. The staff really cares about the clients. Management works hard to make sure the kids have what they need while in shelter.
Great Job to help familes...
FAMILY VISITATION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 3, 2015
Help and served families is my calling and this job gave me the opportunity. Unfortunately I was laid off last year, but still hoping for another opportunity to help families again.
Pros
Did my own schedule.
Cons
Needed more support from Supervisors.
workers don't care
Youth/Child care worker (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 1, 2015
People that work there do not care about the children. Instead of love, they receive scoldings and the employee's seem to hate the job. I have been there for a month but I love children and I want to make a difference in their life's because I am studying to become a social worker. It's sad because those kids need people that care but they are not treated with love at the shelter. They are not abused or anything like that but love is not given to them either
Pros
children
Cons
employee's
Fun place ato work.
House Parent (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 1, 2015
Very fun place to work if you love working with children. Its such an rewarding feeling to know that you are that one person to help out a child in need.
Good strong company with a society-critical mission.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLOctober 4, 2015
Good work environment with good benefits. Mutually supportive management team works well together for the best interest and safety of children.
one of the best jos ever!
Residential Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 3, 2015
I loved working here! My coworkers were like family and so were my clients. We all got along great! The services catered to the employees are wonderful as well.
Pros
hours, flexibility, coworkers
Cons
pay
Group home for disadvantage children
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Lutz, FLSeptember 14, 2015
Lots of interaction and supervision with disadvantage children in a supervised environment between staff and clients. Lots of patience is needed.
Very professional workplace
Clinical Counselor (Current Employee) –  Gainesville FloridaSeptember 10, 2015
Very professional workplace. Friendly staff, excellent training and opportunity for growth within the company. Company work office was in a central location that was easy for client and staff to communicate
Can be stressful at times
Staff (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLAugust 30, 2015
Good work environment. Can be stressful at times. Management typically treats subordinates in a respectful manner. Week is usually a forty hour work week.
Internship
Mental Health Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 26, 2015
My time spent at Children's Home Society as an intern gave me tremendous amounts of knowledge on mental health disorders among children. I would recommend this position to any graduate student wanting to pursue their educational experience with adolescents and children in the psychology field.
RUN! You've been warned...
administrative (Former Employee) –  JacksonvilleAugust 23, 2015
Bursting to the brim with "management" who can't tell their eye socket from their corn hole, but they'll have plenty of time in the world to focus on you. Compensation is 1% above the poverty line, so some of your clients will look familiar since you both use government assistance. Unrealistic work loads while management finger points & contributes nothing. No one stays longs or wants to work with the company for legitimate reasons but these facts are pacified by talk of it being that persons fault they didn't "work out". Save yourself some headaches, head scratching & cob webs in your pocket & just don't do it. I told ya so
Pros
its a job
Cons
too many to list