Children's Home Society Employee Reviews in United States

A good start if you want to work in a social science field
Will Perkins, Director (Current Employee) –  Daniels, WVNovember 1, 2015
Overall the Daniels Shelter is a decent place to work. You get to see first hand what it is like dealing with children that have mental and physical disabilities. It can be a very rewarding position by knowing you can impact a child's life, who has not had the easiest of circumstances to deal with in their short life. I believe the children's home society has a good foundation but lacks the supervision/ management it needs to become a more productive environment for the workers and residents. As with any government ran facility the politics over run everything. The hardest part is having to remain neutral and unbiased in situations pertaining to the residents of the shelter and restraining a child with behavioral issues is never easy.
Pros
the ability to give a child a more positive outlook on life
Cons
politics and lack of management skills for the facility
Very rewarding career.
Clerk I (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NJMay 25, 2016
My day to day work is quite repetitive. However each family I work with is unique with their challenges and hearing their stories inspire me. I have grown to appreciate more and not take anything for granted as so many families I see each day have severe struggles.

Knowing I was able to help a family in need is the most rewarding and enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part is watching a young Mother cry to me because she doesn't meet the qualifications for our program.

I work with some wonderful women who are truly dedicated to their jobs. My team of supervisors are always helpful and looking for ways to improve our experience for our clients.
Pros
benefits package is the best
Cons
very very busy office which can delay clients appointments
Working at CHS has been wonderful
CHS/Quality Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLJuly 18, 2016
Working at CHS has never been an easy job, however, the people I have been blessed to work with have been amazing. I have had the honor to work with the hardest working, most compassionate people I have ever met. My manager is housed in Pensacola. Although, we didn't see each other daily, she was always just a phone call away. Have nothing negative to say about CHS. If we hadn't lost the contracts, I would still be there.
Pros
benefits (vacation and sick time are excellent, healthcare not too bad), good co-workers, understanding and supportive boss.
Cons
Hard work (which is just the nature of the job).
Caring, supportive staff in a friendly environment.
Home Visitor/Parent Educator (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJuly 24, 2016
Children's Home Society works hard to support their staff from the moment you walk in the door. Ongoing training opportunities make sure you are up to date on the latest practices for the early education/home visitor career. Monthly company meetings are fun, informative, and take time to appreciate co-workers. The job can be stressful as you work with underprivileged families, but the camaraderie helps alleviate that.
Kids are great
House Parent (Former Employee) –  800 nw 15th streetMay 6, 2016
Horrible !!!! Unprofessional !!! Beware of this job. Idk about every location, but this particular one is HORRIBLE. 10 bucks isn't worth the drama people. They need to pay staff more to deal with the things they put you through. The staff is RUDE & so are the managers. You'll most likely end up quitting anyways. They not only want you to do what your job duty/title says for you to do, they ALSO want you to be a maid as well as a new rule I guess. Run for the hills pick another job of location
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything!
A fun, safe environment
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 7, 2016
A typical day involved getting to meet children in the foster care system and interacting with them. I had the amazing opportunity to get to know wonderful children and spend time with them doing things they loved. The hardest part of the job was watching a child have a match for an adoption and then seeing it fall through.
Pros
Friendly, family-like environment
Cons
Some lack of efficiency
Challenging and frustrating
Counselor III (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 16, 2015
There was very little support from management. The cases that were assigned were challenging to work with. Instead of dividing challenging cases and distributing them evenly to all team members, they were given to a counselor in one lump sum. At some point, no cases were coming in. Counselors were down on hours, which interfered with their pay. Eventually counselors began to find other jobs.
Pros
Friendly employees and flexable hours
Cons
Horrible pay, lack of support and no room for growth.
Great Place to Work
Clinical Post Adoption Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 21, 2016
Children's Home Society is a great place to work. Management seems to value employees and self-care. CHS provides resources and tools to ensure that employees can complete their duties and appropriately serve clients.
Pros
Overall, great place to work.
Great place to learn and gain expereince
Dependency Case Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 30, 2016
CHS is a great place to work and gain experience. You will learn a lot about the dependency system once you are certified case manager.
Pros
flexible hours, management, co-workers, great team, experience
Cons
dependecy system is unpredictable at times
family friendly and flexible schedule for most.
Family Support/Assessment Worker Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milton, FLApril 9, 2016
this company pays very poorly for an exceptionally large workload. they do have flexible schedules for staff which is a huge benefit, however not enough to offset the pay. Benefits are too expensive for the amount of salary.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
LOW pay
A very fun place to work.
Family Support Worker /Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLSeptember 27, 2015
A typical day was answering phones and answering questions. I also forwarded calls and did administrative duties that was needed of me such as faxing, copying, scanning, mileage and time sheets. I learned how to be hospitable and also developed excellent customer service skills. I enjoyed all of my coworkers and the management was good. There wasn't a hard part of my job and the most enjoyable part of my job was helping people and learning how to do new things.
Pros
You have weekends and holidays off.
Cons
The pay was fair.
Intake/Database Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAJuly 26, 2016
It's a great place to work, and also a great place to take your children and family for any psychological needs. They also have a psychiatrist available. All of my co-workers were amazing.
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
Pay can always be more.
Very Productiive
Family Support Worker/ Youth Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL 32207April 25, 2016
I really enjoy helping others and being able to work one on one with children/ young adults. It was a experience that I will never forget. I still keep in contact with some of the children I used to mentor.
Great if you enjoy working with kids
Residential Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 1, 2014
A typical day is managing children's behaviors and trying to teach them new ways to cope with and respond to everyday situations. Co-workers are usually friendly and easy to work with. The management is difficult to work with because they seem to have a different agenda that borders on egotistical and/or selfish. It can be very enjoyable working with the kids and teaching them new things. It can be very difficult dealing with poor management, hours aren't the best (work 8 hours 2-10 and then all day on the weekend 7am-10pm), and not much room for advancement let alone getting any pay raises. Things seem to be going down hill with the quality of management.
Case Manager
Dependency Case Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33610June 20, 2016
One of the better Case Manager positions in Tampa FL unfortunately contract not renewed or I would have maintained my employment with this agency.
Very fun working with many kids
Face Painter (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJNovember 13, 2015
Setting up the face painting station, long hours of non stop face painting, and finally cleaning up. It is a very fun environment. You get to be creative and display your artistic skills. The pay is good as well.
Pros
Free lunch, very easy job
Productive and fun at the same time.
Dependency Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 6, 2016
At Children's Home Society you have the opportunity to grow and to reach out to your superiors for any help.
Working with them is always a pleasure. Knowing that many people are being help its the most satisfying reward.
A great place to work; a learning environment for both staff and clients.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Northfork, WVJuly 13, 2016
Interacting with children by providing care, safety, security and welfare. Interactions include keeping the children busy by playing sports and board games. I learned that abuse and neglect can have a lasting affect on behaviors. I have learned to take on various roles on an as needed basis; roles include consoling the emotionally or physically injured child; preparing meals; general household chores.. I have learned to assess clients behaviors and interactions through observation and written documentation, and treat them accordingly. Understanding that every child is different is essential when dealing with an acting out child. I lead by example; I do not ask or expect my co-workers to do something I would not do. The hardest part of the job is knowing how difficult it is to place a child with a family and they eventually fall through the cracks by being placed from facility to facility until they age out. The most enjoyable is when a child leaves and calls to let us know they made it! Having one to come visit to show off his or her progression and to give thanks for the services they received.
The Children's Home Society is a 5 star company. It offers a tuition assistance program without requirements to remain with the company post graduation. It is flexible with those who have second jobs as it works the schedule around them. Management respects the values and beliefs of the employees and children by treating them accordingly without judging. There is always the chance for advancement. We abide by the NASW (National Association of Social Workers) Code of Ethics. Attending
  more... scheduled trainings is mandatory; requesting additional training is always an option.  less
Pros
Professionalism at all times
Cons
Finding workers who understand the plight of the chilren served
Great Experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 6, 2016
Learned new things every day. Assisted in their 32nd annual fund raising event 'Caring Chefs". Created posters for 'Caring Chef'. Researched reviews about what restaurants and attendees posted via social media, and other websites.
Company Review
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 8, 2013
Overall by the time I left the company, I realized why there was such a high turnover rate. Compensation was not competitive, advancement within the company really didn't exist and management never took ownership for any mistakes made. Employee moral was low and it created a very uncomfortable work environment.
Pros
i met and connected with a few good people
Cons
see review