CHILDREN'S HOME Employee Reviews in United States

Bad Work Environment
Day Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 21, 2016
Bad company to work for no loyalty and no place for advancement. There was numerous bad decisions made at this company that has contributed to it not being a pleaseant place to work. I would not recommend this job to others.
My Perspective
Education Administrator (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDFebruary 28, 2016
A great deal of management challenges, poor structure and support for staff. Staff works together to accomplish daily goals.
Pros
Flexible Schedule for Administrative Staff
Cons
No systematic approach to operating organization
Has the potential to be something great...AGAIN
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 5, 2016
There is no such thing as a "typical day" at work. Each day is different as you work with this particular population. I feel staff in all departments do work as best they can, with all the constant changes in management. Job security, advancement, or pay increases are not available due to the company not being secure or properly managed. The most enjoyable part of the job, with everything that is going on, is the therapeutic relationships with the clients and their families, and making a difference in their lives. Hopefully one day in the near future, the company will be back on its feet and do great work in the community.
Pros
Making a difference in the lives of others
Cons
Too many to name
Great company
PRN (Current Employee) –  LVNSeptember 17, 2015
This is a wonderful company to work for. Love working here. The office staff are very nice and willing to answer any questions you may have. Pay is great and they offer benefits
Baker/Cook
Cook/Baker (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYSeptember 10, 2015
A typical day started with making the lunch and dinner for the children staying at the home. These children all come from different backgrounds. Whether it be from parents separating or losing a parent. They all came from unstable households and to be able to provide them with wholesome, nutritional food is the least I could do. It is very enjoyable to see them excited about eating because it is one less thing they had to worry about. The hardest part about the job was to learn about the current situation of each child. It gave me more ammunition and pride to do what I do. I went to work everyday excited to create dishes for these kids so they could have a hot meal and to never go to bed hunger. This experience has taught me to appreciate what I have in my life and to never take it for granted. My co-workers and management was very helpful and friendly people. They were great to talk to and learn from.
Pros
knowing I am making a difference in a kids life
Cons
The Children's Home is like a second family.
Case Manager/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Winston Salem, NCJuly 7, 2015
My career at The Children's Home has been like having a second family. I have developed many close and professional relationships that have allowed me to grow both personally and professionally. I believe that my job has allowed me the opportunity to demonstrate compassion and provide individuals with mental illness effective and professional services with great skill and knowledge.
Pros
There is a great sense of family and support, Staff always maintains professionalism, the supervisors are extremely supportive, They work deligently to assure that the staff is well trained, They asure that staff is knowledgable of best practices in field, There is always opportunity for advancement within the agency, I have experienced great flexibility with my schedule .
Cons
The salaries are not adequate, three CEOs in the past 6 years, lots of turnover due to poor morale in some units, shut down of some programs
You can survive if you have a heart for the children
Primary Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 8, 2015
Management wasn't really there for you. You work long hours with no lunch breaks or even 15 minutes. You basically have to look out for yourself. The most enjoyable part of the job however are the interactions with the children, taking them to school, helping them with their school work, changing their lives.
Pros
You get to make a different in the kids' lives.
Cons
No breaks, no lunches, management doesn't support you.
Productive work environment with help young adults turn their lives around
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  PeoriaJune 5, 2015
Making sure all of the Residents are being responsible and active as well as productive every day. Minor counseling with them to teach them to go from boy to man.
very adventrous place to work
LEAD RESIDENTIAL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 27, 2015
A great place to work.. very adventurous for children and their families. A strong family interaction place. I rather not tell my experience with this agency..
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Teen moms
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 6, 2014
Great job. Each day happy to come to work some times challenging but very rewarding. Helping teen moms to be the best mother they could be.
Pros
great organization helping teen moms and their babies. excellent training.
Cons
social agency that did not pay well because funding from state, federal and private donors.
Very pleacent place to work
Case Management/Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 30, 2014
Is a great place to work and most of all is the work is done there looking out and making sure that childrens are well taking care off.
Productive Workplace
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 24, 2014
I say hi in the morning see what i have to do i get breakfast together. I do the dishes and including get breakfast ready for the next day for the kids. I learned how to work well with people m y co-workers was so nice we have are laughs. I did inventory for them sometimes. I'll say the hardest about this job was nothing. The enjoyable part of the job was they treated you like family.
Pros
free lunches, free breakfeast
Cons
healthcare
Lots of fun
Childcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILMay 14, 2014
A typical day was lots of fun 9/10 working with kids. Helping them with homework and playing sports & games with them.
Pros
beening a big brother to the kids
Cons
i can say it didnt have none
Great stepping stone employment
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Holly, NJMay 6, 2014
Provide a nurturing environment for at-risk youth, restraining youth, providing treatment to youth and helping youth work on treatment goals
Productive and good experince.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCMarch 25, 2014
Productive and good experince. Learned something new everyday. No two days are ever the same. Enjoy working with the youth.
Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mount Holly, NJFebruary 13, 2014
New things every day enjoyed working with the youth. Really liked going to work helping to mold young minds.
government funded
Group house leader / Life skills coach (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 26, 2013
prompt youth to complete their day successfully

how to conserve my passion leave work at work

management for self only do not look to help advance employees

co-workers good help but every man for self feel

dealing with each personal issue of clients

helping youth to become successful adult
Pros
helping youth
Cons
watching the system of mistreatment by the program
Children's Home of Stockton, California
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 1, 2013
Supervised, monitored and assembled students; maintained order in the classroom, library and on the playground; assisted teacher with various tasks including attendance records and grading homework; planned activities and prepared materials and supplies for class use; assisted students with homework; decorated
High stress but interesting environment
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYFebruary 12, 2013
Children's Home was a good place to work as long as everyone was on the same page. Co workers were amazing and so was my one boss. Had my back when I needed him the most and that meant a lot to me.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
restraints and no breaks
Obtained good work experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 23, 2013
Work atmosphere appeared to assist in developing individual work skills