Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Advanced Care with Poor Staff Treatment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 18, 2017
CHOP is well-known for its advanced treatments, specialties, and family-centered care. While I do no contest any of this it is far from the whole story. The hospital treats employees with near-disdain, sporting the lowest paying rate in Philadelphia, benefits that are covering less each year, removing advancement tracks, eliminating bonus money for OT shifts, and literally telling employees, "If you don't like it, there are 100 people that want your job." (That's the short list!) The turn-over rate is enormous and management has no interest or involvement in caring for employees as people, just numbers.
Pros
Involvement in cutting edge care
Cons
Extremely Poor Pay, Management, and Work-Life Balance
Challenging but Rewarding
Clinical Nurse IV Emergency Transport Team (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 15, 2017
Working at CHOP has been engaging and rewarding. CHOP has challenged me to do my best work but has also provided with opportunity and skills to further my career and improve my skills.
underpaid
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 12, 2017
They are not competitive with the hospitals in the area. The conditions are probably safer than most hospitals, There is always backup and enough equipment staffing is a priority though they aren't worried about employee retention. They are always hiring .
Pros
never put in an unsafe position
Cons
keep taking away perks to retain senior staff
It was a serious place to work
Developer II (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 10, 2017
CHOP was very good for the last 7 years until they hired new directors and managers. It was not as expected but it's how the corporate world work. I had a great experience at CHOP and learned a lot from it.
chop
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 8, 2017
Hours are long, it costs $13.00 a day to park and then you still have to take a bus to the hospital. The environment is stressful and competitive. Your schedule rotates often night to day every other week to every two weeks making it hard to get adjusted.
Pros
education
Cons
parking, pay and enviroment
Ok
Building Engineer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 7, 2017
Good place to work. Good benefits and salary job security. The hospital continues to grow and is only getting bigger by the day. The people are friendly and really believe in the mission
Absentee manager
LPN (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 1, 2017
Physicians worked very well with all staff. many opportunities to grow and learn within organization. definitely patient centered. Comfortable practice for the pediatric patients family centered
Work/Personal Life Balance
Inpatient clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 19, 2017
What I love about this company is knowing that I play a vital role in helping sick kids get better. The employees all work as a team to provide the patients with the Best care. This company has a horrible work/Personal Life balance. Its so difficult to get schedules accommodated to further careers, and just to have family time. The schedules are not consistent in which makes it harder to balance your personal life. Over all, the team at chop works together to provide the Best care to our patients.
Decent benefits, but not a job for most
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 16, 2017
Pros:
Decent pay and did not low ball entry level pay like some employers will, great benefits (7.8 hours per pay period which is equal to 5 weeks a year), friendly staff, hard working staff, have right intentions

Cons: Culture of throwing people under the bus, stressful- high stakes environment that could be better mediated without the additional pressure of time and staff breathing down your back. An employee jokingly stated it was a sweat shop. Rings true. Treated like robots. Have to drink coffee to increase productivity. Do not get full 1 hr breaks. Only get 50 minutes, and at times have only had 30 minute breaks. Staff are expected to arrive early, however cannot clock in 5-10 minutes prior, so staff arrive and work, but do not get compensated for this time. Physically demanding job- on your feet for the whole shift. Intense training- more intense than needed. Little to no diversity in clinical administration. Requesting time off is a gamble. PTO not valid until after 3 months. Under stressful deadlines/runs, staff can be hostile. Look for red flags- hindsight is 20-20.

Advice to management: No need to ask for names of staff that are to blame, but instead consider the fact that the way things are run are to blame. The staff need more support and resources. No need to cut corners in these areas. Do not have staff just work faster and supervisors should step in to help (two do, but the rest don't). Create more of a supportive team environment- not one focused on calling people out on their mistakes in fear of losing their jobs, but praising staff for the other 1,999
  more... medications they did accurately and on time. Teach staff how to talk to each other nicely and professionally when irritated.  less
No training, working every weekend
Cook (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 14, 2017
The pay was great and my co-workers were pretty awesome. The down side was that I had absolutely NO SCHEDULE consistency whatsoever. The only guarantee was that I'd be working every single weekend. 6-230, 12-845, 12-830, 1-9, 4-8 all in one week!!! It was ridiculous. You pretty much just fill in for the full timers days off. Also, coming in as a cook means you will be part-time with part time hours unless you pick up someone else's shift. Don't let management pull the wool over your eyes. They'll make it seem like your schedule will be reasonable and you'll be getting fulltime hours at part time status. Not true. Also, there's next to NO training. There are multiple positions you'll be working part time and you won't get much direction at all. It's sink or swim, which is kinda unfair. Luckily most of the staff there are cool and will help you along. If you're cool with having no weekends off, working multiple shifts and positions with no regular schedule and your a strong cook and confident in your skills, it's a good place to work.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No training, terrible schedule
Great company to work for
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 12, 2017
The job was good. Great company to work for with opportunity for growth. My manager was very flexible with my schedule. The compensation was ok for the job.
demanding but good experiences
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 11, 2017
This job involves a very long day, loads of responsibilities, lots of interactions with other health care professionals and associated staff, and diverse patient care experiences. It is very hard to get used to all of the policies and protocols. It is fun to meet many people from all walks of life.
fine hospital
Cardiac Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 7, 2017
wonderful technical staff, nursing staff, support staff. very clean and amenable. state of the art equipment and technology employed. great hospital for children of community.
Pros
nice place
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 1, 2017
I have been working at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia more than ten year. I enjoy my job and work environment at CHOP. The cafeteria is great and benefit is super. I have a great respect for my coworkers.I enjoy my stay and CHOP and hope I can work there again.
Exceptional employer
Certified Medical Assistant, Primary Care (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 29, 2017
Working for such an outstanding employer make one's job extremely easy. I enjoy every part of my job and the management will lend a helping hand at any given time. This job is stress-free, has high volume, and is just great overall. The hardest part of my job is vaccinating children while they are crying for me to stop. The most enjoyable part of my job are the children and handing out stickers once the vaccines are complete so I can see a smile upon their face. This will gain the child's trust again and next time he/she sees me they'll remember as "the sticker lady".
Pros
Exceptional healthcare and goes above and beyond for patient care
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Fun productive place to work
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 28, 2017
I really enjoy the work environment at c. H.O.P the staff and the supervisors. No staff members plays favorites all work is given out equally. No matter if you are having a bad day when you arrive at work it a fun place to be
Pros
Free parking for employess on the second and third shift
Cons
Na
love the actual job but
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 26, 2017
Although CHOP provides amazing care (usually), it is a very stressful & negative place to work. Management is disconnected to actual workers and do not know the jobs they are managing. Salary & benefits are below average. Supplies & equipment have much to be desired & EVERYTHING is the responsibility of the bedside nurse. Upper management seems to hate nurses. No autonomy, poor scheduling, punitive atmosphere & lots of nepotism. Families also have a difficult time navigating the system. Many improvements needed, but don't listen to the staff.
Pros
co-workers, staff great
Cons
benefits, salary, parking, negative atmosphere towards nursing
Chaplain
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2017
The Children hospital of Philadelphia is one of the most reputable hospitals in the America. Children are flown all over the World to CHOP for cure and healing . There is a great multicultural and inter-faith coordination in every aspect of the hospital. CHOP is indeed a home and real healing place for kids and their families. I enjoyed my stay at CHOP and will be happy to work with them again.
Pros
Excellent and more humane caring for Children
Cons
Great place to learn things other than the field you work in.
Environmental Service Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 22, 2017
I love working at CHOP because of the all the staff in and outside of my department. The break times are super short though. They have a great cafeteria. i have learned so much about managing staff and how to work with former peers after you receive promotions. Chop offers free classes to help you advance in your career.
Pros
Upward mobility
Cons
Short breaks
Great place to start
Access Scheduler | Health Care| EPIC certified (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2017
Great work life balance. Typical work day revolves around patient access and scheduling appointments for cardiac patients. Schedules for 75 providers and feels secure in trainings.