Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Assistant Manager, Environmental & Linen Services (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2017
Great place to work. Very Rewarding and always a pleasure to see the patients happy and to make their day. I would recommend working here as there is a great culture and room for growth.
Urgent Care has a great work life balance
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 15, 2017
I currently work in the Urgent Care Department. A typical day involves triaging patients and assessing if they need immediate care. I splint, suction, perform VS, perform CPR, urine tests, strep tests, glucose monitoring etc.

Our Nurse manager is wonderful. We work independently and we are not micro managed. We are a very good team and work well together. We swap shifts easily if unexpected events come up.

The hardest part of the job is actually working more hours because Urgent Care is only opened evenings and weekends which can conflict with family time.

I really enjoy the vast variability of the patients we see and all the different tasks we can perform independently.
fun and educational place to work
EKG Technician- Intern Position (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 15, 2017
I was a paid intern when I was chosen to work at CHOP. My time there gave me a lot of experience when it was time for me to move on. My co-workers were friendly and were willing to take the time and show me 'the ropes'. I cannot say enough about my immediate supervisor. He was kind,and encouraged me to learn as much as I could and not be afraid to ask questions.
Pros
Stress free work envirment
Cons
only a intern position
Busy
Lead Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 12, 2017
It would probably better if it was better managed. Always receive new rules that's not in the hand book. No potential for growth. Time management is an problem. I'm just looking for a new position and my employer is not letting that happen for me so I need to now seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
Fulltime
My opinion
Lead Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 11, 2017
This is a okay place to work. I've meet a lot of people but I don't feel that I'm learning anything. I have to come up with my own things to keep busy.
Nurses Unit Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 10, 2017
Great place to work. There are great benefits including medical , vision, dental, life insurance and 401K. Not much advancement for non clinical roles.
benefits
Great company to work for
Account Representative-CHCA Billing (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 9, 2017
management can use some improvement. depending on the department Chop is a nice place to work. I have been through5 managers since I've been working here.
Pros
Benefits, Great pay
Cons
Managment, ridiculous work load
Work there for seven years
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 1, 2017
Loved working with the pediatric population. Experience staff was great to work with. A great place to develop core foundational operating room nurse skills
fun work place
formula technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 30, 2017
I enjoy preparing formulas for the children at the hospital and communicating with the nurses. Every day in my work environment you learn different things sometimes things you never knew before. The management at my job is fair as long as you do what you have to do there shouldn't be a problem and me myself like to get the work doen.
love working here
Inpatient Clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 30, 2017
It time for me to grow in other areas in my career. I want to do what I went to school for. I will always love working at Children's Hospital but it is time to advance somewhere else.
Pros
Cons
I have nothing babd to say about Chop
the SDU is a very special place to work
Labor and Delivery Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 26, 2017
The hospital is historical and claims to be the very first
Children's hospital in America. Some of the most intelligent and talented researchers and surgeons in the world come to CHOP to discover breakthroughs in science.
Working alongside these brilliant minds is truly astonishing. Nurses learn so much in this type of environment. I would encourage anyone with labor and delivery experience to give it a try.
Pros
Learning from some of the best surgeons in the world
Cons
Baby's that deliver here are always sick so often times the baby will pass shortly after birth
The kids make the job
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 25, 2017
The one truly good thing about this job, is the children. Days here can be hard, long, and stressful. The kids make they days a lot better. I love the duties my job entails (I put casts and braces on kids who hurt themselves). But the environment can sometimes become too hectic. The department/ building I work out of, is extremely understaffed and has been going on 2 1/2 years now. It is difficult to provide the best care when you overworked, underpaid, and not appreciated. One of the better things provided here, is the paid time off. There is no set vacation time, you accrue hours with every pay check, and in some cases can even cash out of your paid hours (basically get an extra pay check from vacation time not used). The benefits are pretty good as well. But if it wasn't for the kids, I would have left and never came back. Management is poor as well.
Pros
Working with kids, benifits, time off
Cons
over worked, understaffed, lower wages
Patient Centered
Site Manager, Primary Care Center (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 24, 2017
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia was patient centered but at the same time it was a just culture. Employees felt their feedback were taken seriously.
Difficult Work Environment
Building System Operator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 23, 2017
Managers did not address issues that lead to a difficult work environment. Many irrational acts were sweep under the rug some difficult to endured acts continued when reported to supervisor.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Difficult environment
monthly meetings
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 21, 2017
I can remember at time at CHOP where we had this monthly meetings and this particular meeting was near the holidays and we had a pot luck with gift exchange. That was one of my best days at work.
Pros
location was near my home
Cons
management
Productive environment employees care about the mission of helping families
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2017
I was a contracting employee and I worked with two different divisions. Everyone is so supportive and took time out of their busy work days to train me. The doctors are polite
Pros
lunches, great work environment
Cons
can be busy at times
Chop
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 16, 2017
Great hospital and healthcare culture. This hospital is well known for its amazing work and outstanding employees. Overall, as an employee, I am absolutely happy and satisfied with the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Leadership
Oncology Operation Supervisor of Proton Therapy (Current Employee) –  34th Civic Center BlvdSeptember 15, 2017
I work in a shared environment between CHOP and PENN and being able to manage that has been a challenge that I delivered well. However, senior leadership doesn't realize the hard work that goes into the overall operations and sometimes that is missed.
Pros
Dedicated to the patient and families
Cons
A lot of work goes unoticed
A good place to start your work life
Clinical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 15, 2017
It's enjoyable for what it is, if you work solely on good feelings and for the children. You'll love the feel good stories and knowing that any work you do will benefit a child.

There is an advancement problem and a slight culture problem - but that's in every job. You just don't expect that to happen in a Children's Hospital.

Recent shift in all management categories though: they're trying to fix those two problems.

An otherwise OK place to work.
Great for working mom's
Customer Service Hospital Billing (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 12, 2017
This is most definitely a great place to work. They are really understanding when it come to family emergencies, financial hardship, etc. Most people are very nice. Chop is dominated by women hence the great work life balance. Great place for mom's. The location is good for lunch dates. There's no micro-managing. They trust their employees to do there job and only hold you accountable if you are really not doing your job. Even if you don't do your job they give you 1million chances to get your act together before termination. On the other hand they don't really ask you if you want to take on more responsibility without being compensated. So if you don't mind doing 2 peoples jobs at the same time, then I would still recommend this as a pretty good place to work