Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics Employee Reviews

Awesome doctors and the service they provide
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  NeonatologyJuly 8, 2016
The management staff is what led me to resign after less than a year. Office manager had no respect for my knowledge and years of experience. She felt threatened by anyone who had ideas or suggestions. Couldn't find a balance of being friend and boss. One day bashing her manager and the other backstabbing her minions. She needs to go. As I understand, the position has been vacated by several others behind me. Wake up!
Pros
Children's hospital, pay and benefits
Cons
Micro management, strict attendance policy, tension
I enjoyed working at Children's Mercy Hospital.
Admin Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 2, 2016
When I starting working at Children's Mercy Hospital in January of 1996, I was a unit secretary in the Orthopedic clinic. I learned how to make appointments, file medical records, pre-registration and entered some billing information on the children's appointments. In March of 1998, I starting working in the Contact Center where I continued to schedule appointments, take and make phone calls, and confirm families information we had in our system while I pre-registered the child's appointment. While in the Contact Center, I also learned how to enter information on the spreadsheets for each of our clinics and to build and apply clinic templates. The hospital uses Cerner software for our scheduling.
Pros
Children's Mercy Hospital treated their employees well.
Cons
None.
Great place to work.
Admin. Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 2, 2016
I really liked working at Children's Mercy Hospital. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and my manager. When I started working at Children's Mercy Hospital in January 1996, I was a unit secretary in the Orthopedic Clinic where I learned to schedule appointments, file medical records, obtain insurance information and enter some billing information for the children's appointments. In March of 1998, I started working in the Contact Center, I continued to make appointments, answered the phones, made phone calls, obtained insurance information and pre-registration. While in this department I also learned how to enter information on spreadsheets for each of the hospital's clinics and building/applying of the clinic templates as well. The hospital uses Cerner as their software for scheduling.
Pros
The hospital as a whole was good to their employees.
Cons
None.
Has become a very hostile work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 24, 2016
I worked in clinical research for 15 years. Most of the time it was great. But the last few years have been extremely stressful. No respect from management, no consideration for making the place a pleasant place to work. Free coffee does NOT make up for all the neglect and stress. Managers know nothing about the departments they cover and make no effort to learn. Empathy is not to be found in management. Straight bean counting is all they know.
Pros
The Doctors and nurses are great.
Cons
Management is very bad, micromanaging things they do not understand or apperciate
Good culture, work/life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 8, 2016
Excellent benefits, supportive management (as usual it depends on where you are), and good work/life balance. Market exposure is unmatched for pediatrics hospital systems in the region.
Wonderful Place to Work but Lab Management Poor
Phlebotomist/Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 27, 2016
Typical day at work was very hectic... things were getting changed way to much to truly know how things were going to play out the next day. I learned that team members are there for a reason and that you need to keep co-workers close because management is not always going to have your back. Lab management, like I said, change things around way to much and then never evaluate the change to see if it is making progress or if things have slumped down farther.

At the end of the day, I loved my job because of the patients! Knowing I did something that day that would help them in life was all I really needed.
Pros
Children
Cons
Management of lab and procedures
very productive and fun enviroment
heath information management (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 4, 2016
very good place to work co-workers are very good team players very friendly good management enjoy helping people.accomplishing my job and completeing my task
micromanaging overload as those I just read
Patient accounts department (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 4, 2015
When I started working for them the atmosphere was the best company I have worked for, I agree with the other reviews over the last few years the entire culture has changed employees are only valued by production and not the quality of their work.Team power has been lost. Sad to go from loving to come to work to almost an anxiety attack to go.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
micromanaging, tension never felt tasks were completed
friendly work environment
Internal Transporter assist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 27, 2015
Interning at Children's Mercy Hospital was the best experience that i had in my life i miss interning there I hope in the near future i can go back and work there I miss the Friendly environment
Pros
Friendy, productive
Cons
N/A
Best Children's Hospital with engaged staff
Contract Media Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 28, 2015
Solid work place for employees. They truly care about their staff and the precious patience that come through their doors. They encourage their staff to grow, grow. They show their appreciation to all their employees.
Pros
Often free lunches! Friendly people & great atmosphere.
Cons
Limited opportunity for growth at my position.
This is a really nice place to work
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 3, 2015
Everyday is highly organized.
Keep learning new things built on my background.
nice management and corworks.
Have to learn handle multiple unexpected things happend in a short time
but it is nice experience.
Pros
nice working enviroment and nice benefit
Excellent corporate culture and mission. Like a second family.
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 14, 2015
I have been with CMH for awhile and felt like I grew up there. Everyone in the company is super nice and all working towards the common goal of helping sick children. What could be a more noble cause?

With that said, do not go into any of the Main Lab departments. So much micro management over the most trivial things. There were things my boss did that was borderline illegal such as making inappropriate comments about a handicapped employee when the employee asked for accommodations. There were more instances that were witnessed by other employees but very few spoke up because nothing would come from speaking up.

Advancement is a joke though unless one is a nurse. If you are a nurse and have ambition and credentials, you could make it up to C-level positions there.

Overall, I loved CMH and the employees. What I did was very interesting, but management in my department left a lot to be desired.
Pros
Interesting work, genuinely good people, decent pay
Cons
very strict rules and attendance policy in the lab
Great Place to Work!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 8, 2015
Very nurse friendly, felt like there was plenty of support from other staff and senior personnel, many opportunities for continuing education, staff supported and encouraged to advance
Pros
positive work environment
Cons
riding shuttle to main campus for work
Employee Satisfaction Surveys Continued To Decline
Patient Access Rep (Former Employee) –  AdmissionsMarch 24, 2015
I was always very proud to say I worked there, even after what ended up being a very disheartening overall experience. Over the course of almost 10 yrs of service there, I saw first hand the tremendous increase in a micro-managed corporate culture. Long-term colleagues from several departments would say how different things had become They no longer felt a part of a family work environment. In my department there had always been a priority to promote from within and current employees were enthusiastic about advancement. This philosophy and then employee attitudes disentegrated over time as these qualified employees were now being passed over in favor of young, inexperienced candidates from the outside with nothing but a piece of paper in their hands announcing they had some sort of degree. At the time of my resignation, entry-level positions in my department started to go unfilled for weeks. When I was hired, people would say it took them several months just to get an interview. So if you don't mind having a supervisor or manager breathing down your back and feeling more like a number than a valued employee, go for it.
Pros
The hospital's local & national reputation & the level of patient care.
Cons
Micromanaging low-level supervisors and inefficient mid-level department management
Stay Away from IT
IS Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 19, 2015
I was rather excited when I got this job because several friends had worked for this company, but it turned out to be a disappointment. My supervisor rarely communicated with me which made it hard to get access to necessary systems or understand what goals were. Didn't see my official job description until I had been there 4 months. It was always a huge battle to get basic information in order to do my job. Most of management was either clueless or lazy. Found out I was making way less than even the lowest position in my department even though I contributed the most.

Pros: Didn't see supervisor much, freedom to work on my own as I saw fit, most coworkers were nice

Cons: Management doesn't take responsibility and does no training, pawns work off on others, huge disorganization, didn't see my supervisor for 4 days after my start date and never did a department orientation, had to rely on other coworkers for simple things like explaining how to do my timesheet, department was a joke - too many inconsistencies, no training, conflicting answers to questions (when you could get someone to answer a question), wasted money on useless product that sat in storage instead of on employees, little communication
Would NOT recommend to my worst enemy.
Staff RN and NICU RN (Former Employee) –  Main HospitalJuly 15, 2014
Working at CMH was like reliving high school. If you were not accepted by the "cool kids", you were given the heavier work assignments, the aides that did not work as hard, and the patients that were difficult to handle. Favoritism was rampant. Pay was low. For the great image that Children's Mercy portrays publicly, they surely do not uphold that image behind closed doors. They say that nurses "eat their young"; the NICU was the most notorious for this... to the point of running off good, experienced nurses who were "young" or new to the dept. NICU management (ALL THREE NICU MGRS) supported this behavior by turning their heads at this unprofessional behavior.
CMH does not follow their Vision Statement. It is run by discriminatory behavior from the Charge Nurse level, to Departmental Management, up through Human Resources and Upper Administration. Do NOT waste your time!!
Pros
Kind people work in the cafeteria
Cons
Uncredible & inexperienced managment, favoritism, discrimination, low pay; childish "cliques" -even amongst management!
Great hospital, terrible department management.
Former RT (Former Employee) –  Kansas CityMay 1, 2014
The RT department has a terrible area reputation as being a bad department to work in and it lives up to that reputation. The department management doesn't care about the staff or how overly busy you are but only cares if there is a problem. Then it's your fault no matter what , they aren't interested in hearing your side of what happened.
Great hospital, great nurses and doctors and all other staff just don't work in the RT department.
Pros
Great hospital
Cons
Terrible RT management
great place to work-horrible pay
Registered Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 13, 2014
This was my first hospital job over 9 years ago and boy do I miss the old crew I use to work with. I LOVED going to work everyday and never dreaded it. Though there were rough times and busy shifts the team of nurses, CAs, etc that we had was nothing that I know I will never find again. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I am honored to have been apart of.
Pros
The nurses, the management support, very family friendly
Cons
Pay, no bonus for hard work, gossip
Positive team environment supportive healthcare for children
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 25, 2014
Entire staff worked together for the good of the patient. It is a joy to work in an environment where everyone wants to work with children. There seemed to be some distance between management and employees. The employees have great ideas and want to feel listened to. There is a lot of pride working for this hospital overall. It is very progressive and they are always doing things for the community.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Connection with management
Great place to receive education.
Nurse Assistant, Nurse Tech, Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Children's Mercy Hospital and ClinicsMarch 24, 2014
I started working here as a nurse assistant. The nursing staff were great in that they always wanted to teach you what they knew.

As a nursing assistant/tech, I followed orders of the nurse and helped with their patient work load. I learned all my nursing skills from patient care to caring for patient families. I learned how to advocate for patients, use other resources available. I learned how to be sensitive to different cultures.

Since this was my first experience as a nurse, the hardest part was dealing with family dynamics and being sensitive to family and religious beliefs.

The most enjoyable part of the job was a family leaving healthy and happy. My best memories are of a family in the parking lot looking back up at their room, seeing me, then smiling and waving. They would also send Christmas cards thanking you for their care.
Pros
Availability for continuing education.
Cons
Being transferred to different units.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics. Our community is ready to answer.

Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics Reviews by Location