Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics

Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics United States Employee Reviews

Employee Satisfaction Surveys Continued To Decline
Patient Access Rep (Former Employee), AdmissionsMarch 24, 2015
Pros: The hospital's local & national reputation & the level of patient care.
Cons: Micromanaging low-level supervisors and inefficient mid-level department management
I was always very proud to say I worked there, even after what ended up being a very disheartening overall experience. Over the course of almost 10 yrs of service there, I saw first hand the tremendous increase in a micro-managed corporate culture. Long-term colleagues from several departments would say how different things had become They no longer felt a part of a family work environment. In my department there had always been a priority to promote from within and current employees were enthusiastic about advancement. This philosophy and then employee attitudes disentegrated over time as these qualified employees were now being passed over in favor of young, inexperienced candidates from the outside with nothing but a piece of paper in their hands announcing they had some sort of degree. At the time of my resignation, entry-level positions in my department started to go unfilled for weeks. When I was hired, people would say it took them several months just to get an interview. So if you don't mind having a supervisor or manager breathing down your back and feeling more like a number than a valued employee, go for it.
Would NOT recommend to my worst enemy.
Staff RN and NICU RN (Former Employee), Main HospitalJuly 15, 2014
Pros: kind people work in the cafeteria
Cons: uncredible & inexperienced managment, favoritism, discrimination, low pay; childish "cliques" -even amongst management!
Working at CMH was like reliving high school. If you were not accepted by the "cool kids", you were given the heavier work assignments, the aides that did not work as hard, and the patients that were difficult to handle. Favoritism was rampant. Pay was low. For the great image that Children's Mercy portrays publicly, they surely do not uphold that image behind closed doors. They say that nurses "eat their young"; the NICU was the most notorious for this... to the point of running off good, experienced nurses who were "young" or new to the dept. NICU management (ALL THREE NICU MGRS) supported this behavior by turning their heads at this unprofessional behavior.
CMH does not follow their Vision Statement. It is run by discriminatory behavior from the Charge Nurse level, to Departmental Management, up through Human Resources and Upper Administration. Do NOT waste your time!!
Great hospital, terrible department management.
Former RT (Former Employee), Kansas CityMay 1, 2014
Pros: great hospital
Cons: terrible rt management
The RT department has a terrible area reputation as being a bad department to work in and it lives up to that reputation. The department management doesn't care about the staff or how overly busy you are but only cares if there is a problem. Then it's your fault no matter what , they aren't interested in hearing your side of what happened.
Great hospital, great nurses and doctors and all other staff just don't work in the RT department.
great place to work-horrible pay
Registered Nurse II (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOApril 13, 2014
Pros: the nurses, the management support, very family friendly
Cons: pay, no bonus for hard work, gossip
This was my first hospital job over 9 years ago and boy do I miss the old crew I use to work with. I LOVED going to work everyday and never dreaded it. Though there were rough times and busy shifts the team of nurses, CAs, etc that we had was nothing that I know I will never find again. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I am honored to have been apart of.
Great atmosphere for children
HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOFebruary 17, 2013
Great place for care. Not so much being an employee who is not in the "in crowd".
excellent company to work for
Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 24, 2012
Enhancing continuing community collaboration for assistance in providing services to families affected by substance avuse and/or HIV.