Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics Employee Reviews

Poor Management; Hostile Environment
Research (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 6, 2017
Management is narcissistic and creates a hostile non-productive environment. Bullying is accepted by all including HR and VP's. You have to play the political game to get ahead. The overall mission is buried by the misuse of power.
Pros
Somewhat flexible schedules
Cons
Mistrust
Great place!
Float Pool (Current Employee) –  Leawood, KSSeptember 16, 2017
This is a great place for those who are not familiar with the corporate environment and its expectations. It is very lenient and many expectations and evaluations are not based on job performance but on personality traits.
The mission and vision of CMH are valued by all but followed in very different ways. As long as you don't forget your purpose and how your role can impact a child's life being there will be worth it.
Patient Access Rep
Outpatient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 4, 2017
Children's Mercy is a well-known and well-respected Midwest organization. It is also a good place to learn the ins and outs of healthcare, both on the clinical and administrative side. I would not, however, recommend any admissions position that is coded as a "float" position. This is only ideal for candidates who won't mind knowing their work schedule only 24-hours ahead of time.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunities for advancement, being part of an organization that makes a big difference in the KC community
Cons
Caddy management staff, difficult advancement
Enjoyed knowing that I helped contribute to the well being and good health of children and their families.
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 6, 2017
The culture at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics is amazing. It keeps expanding and growing to include services to children and their famlilies in the midwest by adding locations in all areas of the metro, outlying areas in the midwest and also a newer addition, TeleHealth.
Pros
Many benefits and gifts through health fairs, etc.
Cons
None.
Fast Paced and Fulfilling!
PFS Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 29, 2017
Wonderful place to work! Flexible schedules and supportive leadership team. I have been at CMH for over a year and have appreciated the organization on a whole the entire time.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good pay, great benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Good hospital for kids, horrible management
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 23, 2017
This hospital does an amazing job taking care of their kiddos, but not their employees. The RT department is known for their high turn over rate and bad management. The management sit around and bark orders and close their doors when help is needed. They could care less about work/home life balance for their employees, but they make sure they are home in time to get to their kids games. They do not stick to their policies and allow other departments to bad mouth their RTs. Most days are short staffed and management relies on people to pick up. If you are one to pick up, you will be in the "in crowd". Newbies are usually bullied by senior staff, the senior staff will make your life so miserable you will want to quit. RNs in the ICUs are very "clicky" and will try to get you in trouble if they don't like you.
Pros
Helping Children
Cons
Great values leadership needs improvement
Nurse Manager Pulmonary and Sleep Clinic (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 16, 2017
Mismanagement has caused the company to reorganize using LEAN. However there is no research or evidence to support the decisions being made by leadership at this time.
Staff Nurse
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 20, 2017
I worked at CMH for 9 years as a nurse. Management is why I left. Charge nurses treated staff poorly. If you were good at your job you were often giving the hardest assignments and when you asked for help you were told they didn't have time to help you. If you were a lazy nurse you seem to get the easier assignments and when you brought this up to management their response was "that's just how they are." Managers on the unit have no idea of the acuity of the patients on the unit. They just seem to look at numbers instead of acuity. Horrible environment to work in unless you enjoy being bullied, talked about and want no possible chance of advancement.
Pros
Amazing patients
Cons
Work load, pay, management, parking
A big-little hospital that truly cared for its patients.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 3, 2017
A small sense of monotony with an ever changing dynamic of the same goal. Training was quick for me, but not others. Within my department and observed elsewhere were various cliques of different workers, which influenced many people's decisions on their work.
Pros
Patients were great. Good teamwork when working the right shift with the right people.
Cons
Slow on advancement in my area of work. Very cliquey
Awesome place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 24, 2017
Great leadership and teamwork. I work in the PICU it's very energetic and very great leaders on the team. Being in the PICU is sad they have a team that comes and talks to you and the have great chaplain there and it's very very good to know that everyone is there for each other
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 8, 2016
Truly a great place to work. My co-workers were friendly and very helpful. There is one manager on my unit that kind of got "power hungry" and made work on that unit not very great. The hardest part of my job was seeing the sick kids. The most enjoyable thing was how rewarding it was to help everyone feel better eventually. The benefits at this place are the best I could've imagined having.
Awesome doctors and the service they provide
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  NeonatologyJuly 8, 2016
The management staff is what led me to resign after less than a year. Office manager had no respect for my knowledge and years of experience. She felt threatened by anyone who had ideas or suggestions. Couldn't find a balance of being friend and boss. One day bashing her manager and the other backstabbing her minions. She needs to go. As I understand, the position has been vacated by several others behind me. Wake up!
Pros
Children's hospital, pay and benefits
Cons
Micro management, strict attendance policy, tension
I enjoyed working at Children's Mercy Hospital.
Admin Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 2, 2016
When I starting working at Children's Mercy Hospital in January of 1996, I was a unit secretary in the Orthopedic clinic. I learned how to make appointments, file medical records, pre-registration and entered some billing information on the children's appointments. In March of 1998, I starting working in the Contact Center where I continued to schedule appointments, take and make phone calls, and confirm families information we had in our system while I pre-registered the child's appointment. While in the Contact Center, I also learned how to enter information on the spreadsheets for each of our clinics and to build and apply clinic templates. The hospital uses Cerner software for our scheduling.
Pros
Children's Mercy Hospital treated their employees well.
Cons
None.
Great place to work.
Admin. Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 2, 2016
I really liked working at Children's Mercy Hospital. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and my manager. When I started working at Children's Mercy Hospital in January 1996, I was a unit secretary in the Orthopedic Clinic where I learned to schedule appointments, file medical records, obtain insurance information and enter some billing information for the children's appointments. In March of 1998, I started working in the Contact Center, I continued to make appointments, answered the phones, made phone calls, obtained insurance information and pre-registration. While in this department I also learned how to enter information on spreadsheets for each of the hospital's clinics and building/applying of the clinic templates as well. The hospital uses Cerner as their software for scheduling.
Pros
The hospital as a whole was good to their employees.
Cons
None.
Has become a very hostile work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 24, 2016
I worked in clinical research for 15 years. Most of the time it was great. But the last few years have been extremely stressful. No respect from management, no consideration for making the place a pleasant place to work. Free coffee does NOT make up for all the neglect and stress. Managers know nothing about the departments they cover and make no effort to learn. Empathy is not to be found in management. Straight bean counting is all they know.
Pros
The Doctors and nurses are great.
Cons
Management is very bad, micromanaging things they do not understand or apperciate
Good culture, work/life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 8, 2016
Excellent benefits, supportive management (as usual it depends on where you are), and good work/life balance. Market exposure is unmatched for pediatrics hospital systems in the region.
Wonderful Place to Work but Lab Management Poor
Phlebotomist/Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 27, 2016
Typical day at work was very hectic... things were getting changed way to much to truly know how things were going to play out the next day. I learned that team members are there for a reason and that you need to keep co-workers close because management is not always going to have your back. Lab management, like I said, change things around way to much and then never evaluate the change to see if it is making progress or if things have slumped down farther.

At the end of the day, I loved my job because of the patients! Knowing I did something that day that would help them in life was all I really needed.
Pros
Children
Cons
Management of lab and procedures
very productive and fun enviroment
heath information management (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 4, 2016
very good place to work co-workers are very good team players very friendly good management enjoy helping people.accomplishing my job and completeing my task
micromanaging overload as those I just read
Patient accounts department (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 4, 2015
When I started working for them the atmosphere was the best company I have worked for, I agree with the other reviews over the last few years the entire culture has changed employees are only valued by production and not the quality of their work.Team power has been lost. Sad to go from loving to come to work to almost an anxiety attack to go.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
micromanaging, tension never felt tasks were completed
friendly work environment
Internal Transporter assist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 27, 2015
Interning at Children's Mercy Hospital was the best experience that i had in my life i miss interning there I hope in the near future i can go back and work there I miss the Friendly environment
Pros
Friendy, productive
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9