Children's Specialized Hospital Employee Reviews

Fun staff and excellent mentoring
Therapy Aide (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJ and Hamilton, NJOctober 6, 2015
Voted one of the Best Places to Work in NJ within the last 10 years, I am proud to say I had the opportunity to be employed by such a company. This hospital's outlook of client-centered/family-centered care is a prime reasoning why several employees, such as myself, stayed there for extended periods of time.
Day and in the life at Children's
Customer support. (Current Employee) –  Mountainside, NJSeptember 13, 2015
This is truly a places that strives to live up to it's standards. Everyone greets you with a smile when you come through the door and frequently goes above and beyond to make patients and family members feel welcomed. I personally am almost brought to tears every time a parent returns to tell us how much we changed their child's life.
Pros
Loving and truly genuine people to work with.
Cons
Frequent health care plan changes. Can be very political.
CSH
Autism Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fanwood, NJSeptember 1, 2015
Great place to work. A lot of work to do, and it can be very overwhelming at times. Staff works pretty well with each other.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Computers
Very professional compassionate staff
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 1, 2015
Great Place to work. Staff members are very supportive toward one another and are fantastic with the children. Very compassionate and team orientated atmosphere.
Fun Place To Work
Certified Nursing Aide (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJAugust 27, 2015
What I enjoyed most about working here were the children and being a part of making a difference. I did not agree with the role playing between nurses, or how as a valued employee my word was not taken seriously. I enjoyed my job, I enjoyed working hard because it was for those kids.
Pros
Great Job
Cons
Role Playing and Favortism
Very busy
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Mountainside, NJAugust 7, 2015
If you love working with peds its a fantastic place to work. Very busy place. You will never be able to say you're bored. There are times where you're so busy that you dont have time to eat or use the bathroom. But I enjoy working with the kids so I often over look that stuff
Good
Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 1, 2015
Enjoyed working with the Children they made my day. Enjoyed helping and learning about other therapies. Worked alongside Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapist. Also provided Recreational programs with patients.
Productive and Fun Workplace, Rewarding
Patient Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountainside, NJApril 8, 2015
In working here my typical day required high levels of patient interaction through customer service with Patient registration and ensuring and demonstration good customer service skills, directing the patients to the many departments where their scheduled appointments were. Responding to phone inquiries and updating patient information where required & needed in our computer data base. Small yet sophisticated and diverse environment.
Pros
Scheduling around Childrens Needs
Cons
Small company not much room for advancement/Office politics
Life at Children's
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountainside, NJFebruary 12, 2015
Where to begin?
Well I been working at children's for close to 9 years now. It is my second home from home. A typical day would be just walking in through the halls in the morning, saying hello to the people, even though some don't say anything back. Still some do and some don't. When I get to my office and log on the computer. I check my emails and go through as much as I can before I start print out reports to do and once that is done, I get a fax from for more cash breakout to start my day going. Then I proceed onto more time consuming stuff. Bank reconciliation, helping out with spreadsheets, journal entries, stop checks, and etc etc on. Lots of bank reconciliation which should be a 2 person position. What have I learn is that when you try your best it is still not enough and that you dedicate yourself to the work and be loyal and humble it comes back to bite you in the end. Management is one of the problems as children's is losing focus on many issues with their employees. They expect you to be overwork and not be paid for it and that they can reap the benefits. You have a deadline and they expect you to get things done accurately and on time. I am pretty sure I am not the only one who is in this type of situation and I recognize that and respect that for all who has gone through this. My coworkers are awesome. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be here today. Management doesn't seem to get the concept that if you start piling up more work on an individual things will not get completed on time. The coworkers are awesome and I enjoy my time being with them as we have a very
  more... diverse group of people. The hardest part of the job for me was to continue to focus on the objectives trying to keep a positive environment. The most enjoyable moment is eating lunch with my coworkers or going out with them. Sharing stories and ideas and accomplishments.  less
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
bad management, bad benefits, workload is crazy
Productive and fun to work with.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJFebruary 10, 2015
The facility is a state of the art and in excellent condition. Personnel are wonderful to work with. They ambiance is good.
CSH hides behind a mask very well...
PAR (Current Employee) –  Mountainside, NJAugust 12, 2014
CSH is a wonderful place to bring children for all of the services they offer BUT management, administration and the people you work around are HORRIBLE. The only thing keeping me here is the children (I enjoy seeing them and helping them) and the fact that I havent found something else as of yet. You are overworked, highly underpaid and managers are always adding onto your workload even though you aleady have mountain of work to do. Manager in PAS is very lazy, she does absolutely nothing and passes off her responsibilities on her staff. By Weds of every week, most staff is already burned out. There is lots of favoritism played in that dept as well as managers and administration playing dumb as to what really goes on around there. You have a few that bust their behinds at work faithfully everyday and you have some that does absolutely nothing and clinicians and other staff have made complaints yet, they still have a job. I've been here quite a while and every month someone is fired or resigns and they are back to hiring or bringing in temps. If you can find or do better, I suggest not working here at CSH. Also in the winter time, expect to put your life at jeopardy by traveling in the ice and snow because they still expect you to arrive to work and on time even though a state of emergency has been declared and if you do decide that your life is more valueable and take off for that day, you are forced to use your vacation time and guess what; once you decide its time for a vacation, you cant take one because you've used all of your days during the winter storms. This place and  more... their policies and ethics are a complete joke.  less
Pros
helping the children
Cons
no room for growth, horrible inclement weather policy, insufficient management & administration
the company was like a family
One on one teacher (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJAugust 6, 2014
Worked with children with developmental delays birth to 3 providing one on one instruction and support for families.
Pros
able to schedule around family needs
Cons
small company not much room for advancement
Do not work here
Former employee (Former Employee) –  NJJune 21, 2014
A typical work day at children's includes doing other people's work. Being harassed on a daily basis and unfair treatment of employees. I learned that if you can manipulate management you can get away with anything such as calling out, taking excessive breaks and doing nothing all day. Management does not monitor what employees are doing. Co workers- some are great and others are hard to work with and are not friendly. Management in denial about issues.
Cons
limited breaks, no vacation time
productive and fun workplace!
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMay 1, 2014
everyone treats everyone like family here its amazing. if you need help there is always someone there who is more then willing to answer questions and make day to day functions easier.
Wonderful Hospital
Supervisor of Dietary Service (Former Employee) –  Mountainside, NJApril 6, 2014
Children's staff are very compassionate and dedicated to helping all patients, families and coworkers.
Wonderful, collaborative working environment
Administration (Current Employee) –  Mountainside, NJMarch 3, 2014
Children's Specialized Hospital is an amazing organization to work for. The senior leadership team is extraordinary in their care for and development of the employees. The clinical services are second to none - the patients consistently compliment us on the high level of healthcare that is provided.

The people that work at Children's Specialized Hospital are warm, encouraging, smart and dedicated. Everyone has a passion to help children and make a difference in their lives. The people are nice to each other, not just the patients that they serve.

I love working here!
Pros
good work/life balance, kind people, feel like your making a difference in the world
Cons
non-profit pay scale
Great place to have a career
Human Resources/Finance (Former Employee) –  Mountainside, NJSeptember 26, 2013
I worked here for two summers and it is a fantastic place to work. The people are friendly and warm, without being fake. The workplace is business but relaxed enough to not be a pin-up all the time.Finally the pay is very good.
Pros
good people, good work area.
Cons
office politics.
Great and fulfiling place to work
Asst to VP & Dir HR/HR Assoc (Former Employee) –  Mountainside, NJJuly 19, 2013
Children's Specialized Hospital is a rehabilitative hospital for children from ages birth to 21. Working there gives you a huge amount of gratitude for your efforts. Working in HR afforded me the opportunity to meet many persons from all walks of life. It also afforded many opportunities for learning and advancement in many different skills. Overall it is a pleasant place with nice coworkers to work together. Many of the employee recognition programs were interesting to plan and implement and brought satisfaction to each employee. The hardest part of this and many jobs, because of the fast pace in business, time is always the hardest part of the job.
Pros
satisfaction that you employment helps others
Cons
not enough consideraton for employee travel during inclement weather conditions, because company was non profit, raises were not often.
employee
as a current employee, cannot say (Current Employee) –  NJMay 5, 2013
Administration is horrendous. Company repeatedly has offered incentives and salaries to potential and current employees and then withdrew their offers. For some, it was too late to go back to their previous job or accept another company's offer. Do not be fooled by other reviews. The company puts on a good public face, but long-term employees know the truth. Turn-over rates are very high. If the economy was not so terrible, I would look elsewhere.
Pros
get to work with wonderful families and can make a big difference in the lives of children
Cons
terrible administration; inconsistent administrative practices; unethical treatment of employees
Wonderful environment for patients and staff
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJFebruary 15, 2013
A typical volunteer day consists of setting up the play room for infant group recreational activities. Then participating in the group event and being actively involved with the children. After group, cleaning is done. Then I go around to patient rooms and check to see if any of the children are in need of comfort or just looking to play. It is an extremely fun and loving environment to work in.
Pros
emotionally rewarding