Children of America Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Assistant Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  IvylandFebruary 8, 2016
I worked there for almost two years. Nothing I did was good enough! I was criticized all the time for no matter what I did. I was forced to resign because I was accused of intentionally hurting a child! Horrible place to work! Corporate is only concerned with profits, the director and assistant director can't even work with each other let alone work well with the staff. I got written up for child abuse and basically lost my job, but other staff drag children around by their arms, stick children in dark closets because they cry too much and throw children on the floor because they take their shoes off! Most co-workers were very nice but the only enjoyable part of the job was the kids. I loved my toddlers so much but it was too hard being criticized every day! I would never send my children there!
Pros
Wonderful children and parents
Cons
Management, lack of support of staff
fun place
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 8, 2016
children of america is a fun place to work and the teacher there teach you a lot of different ways to teach the class room. you have to be willing to learn and they will teach you. it is a great place to work if you are willing to learn
1 month and i was out
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAFebruary 4, 2016
Management from the head office is not concerned about employees. Emphasis is on money. Every corporation is concerned with the bottom line which is natural but expectations of the staff are unreasonable compared to the compensation. Benefits are minimal. Employees are underpaid and undervalued. Teachers are paid very little for the vast amount of work they do. Onsite management is expected to clock out staff immediately as children leave and ratios drop. The time needed for cleaning the classrooms, putting up the required displays, doing lesson plans, assessments and portfolios often exceeds what can be completed during naptime and so is frequently done on the teachers own time, unpaid and this is actually expected by the company.

No respect for employees.
Overall an OK place
Floating Teacher/ Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 27, 2016
Work days vary. Never guaranteed hours in childcare. Management is great! They are very uplifting but down to business as well. Co-workers are awesome. Could not have a better set of guys and girls. Room for advancement is few and far between. They do not like to give raises. You have to have a passion for children if you work in childcare. They are what makes your day!
Excellent Childcare Center
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Doylestown, PAJanuary 25, 2016
COA Doylestown is truly a wonderful place to work! In all of my time working in childcare centers, this is he best I've ever been privileged to be associated with!
The staff is well educated, creative, loving and kind. They truly love children. I recommend this school for those who want a superior child care education experience for their child!
Pros
Great staff, beautiful facility, responsive management/director
Cons
Located farther out in the town of plumsteadville (Doylestown mailing address)
Great coworkers
Lead Daycare Teacher (Former Employee) –  Avon, INJanuary 19, 2016
There are some jobs that you feel satisfied doing and feel like you are helping in every way possible. the management team at COA didn't provide that always but the coworkers and some of the parents made it a great company to work for.
fun and friendly
Teacher/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDNovember 10, 2015
this place is very fun and friendly. everyone is so wonderful except some people try to be in others personal lives but other than that its great.
Worse company to work for
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 5, 2015
DO NOT work for this company!! Worse mistake you could make. The corp office does not care about their employees. The pay is horrible, the minimal benefits they offer are horrible, they don't give raises or bonuses and their only concern is how much money they can pocket. The company is poorly run by individuals who have no idea what it's like to work/run a successful center. They don't promote based on experience or qualifications because that would mean they would have to pay the person well. They hire people based on how little they can pay them therefore they get low quality staff. The staff turnover in the center is like a revolving door. Corp and management talk up the center but when you actually work there you realize it was all lies you were told. There is no staff appreciation or recognition of doing well. Corp does not follow licensing rules and regulations. If breaking a regulation means more money then that's what they'll do. There are assistant teachers running classrooms, there are non 7D licensed drivers driving the vans and classrooms are out of ratio-and this is all ok to Corp.

Do yourself a favor, don't work for this company and don't ever send your child to school for this company.
Pros
You get to work with children
Cons
Read review
work
Teacher/School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Sicklerville, NJOctober 29, 2015
The place is a horrble place to work they dont follow the laws. They are to wrapped up in there life to do there jobs.. I hated working here , i loved the kids not the place
Family Oriented and Productive Environment
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLOctober 17, 2015
Great company to work for! The skill sets learned are transferable in any organization and I would recommend my friends and family seeking employment.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Enjoyed working for this company
CAREGIVER (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 10, 2015
Great benefits good working environment got along well with the employees and the employers. Worked for this company 5 years with no major issues got along well with parents as well.
Pros
hour lunches and great benefits
Horrid
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 6, 2015
Hated it there. Only there for a week and a half. Worse experience. The children are so bad due to the lack of structure within the facility. The workers literally yell and scream at the children in order for them to listen. Barely any toys for children to play with, good looks disgusting, and the curriculum is horrible. Poor poor facility. You never get off on time, and they don't allow over time -- so you can count on long breaks
Cons
Good and bad points like many companies
Early Childhood Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hockessin, DEOctober 4, 2015
The Good:
The facility itself is wonderful. Clean and full of resources for the children. The teachers work hard and have a genuine love for the children and families that attend there. The children are well cared for. Sound policies and procedures make for a very safe environment for the children and staff. Opportunity for advancement is good.

The Bad:
Center directors are hired at a lower than reasonable wage with promises that regular quarterly bonuses will supplement and be part of that salary but these never materialize. Despite hitting required targets, out of 20 promised bonuses, only 3 were paid out. Onsite management is also expected to shuffle children from room to room whenever possible, in order to cut teachers earlier than their allotted shifts.

Feedback from head office to centers focuses solely on negatives. Teachers are
  more... rarely complimented for the excellent jobs they do during corporate visits. Center staff rarely speak up on conference calls because any hint of unhappiness or requests for change is frowned upon. Respect is a one way street in this company and it only flows towards the home office.

Despite all this, I enjoyed my time working there with the teachers and the families. If you are a person that is motivated from within, not from monetary compensation; gain your job satisfaction from your immediate co-workers, the children and families and if you do not need the approval of the corporate home office bosses to be happy, you can benefit from the good points of working for this company. If however, you do not function well without recognition or even respect and if you expect to be paid for all the work you do, then this is not the company for you.
Pros
clean facilites, safe, good resources
Cons
low pay, minimal benefits, high expectations, negative and critical home office, little to no respect
Great management and staff
Teacher, before and after school age (Current Employee) –  Mainville, OhioOctober 4, 2015
My day was never the same and working in different classrooms was very hard to stay organized sometimes. Co workers were great and Management was wonderful.
Pros
teaching children
Cons
short breaks
this place is ok
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VASeptember 16, 2015
I'm glad I'm not there anymore. They expect so much for so little, that's sad. I would never go back there, even If I had the chance.
not a very professional place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  braintree MA 02184September 7, 2015
Children of America has been great for experience but overall very unprofessional. They do not follow simple licensing rules and regulations. There is always conflicts in which do not get resolved from bosses.
Childcare
Lead teacher (Current Employee) –  Flossmoor IllinoisSeptember 1, 2015
It is a job they want the best for their children and families. A few changes could be made in management. Co workers are decent to work with, families are a joy. Working can be tiring and days can be long.
Fun place
Teacher of Infant's (Lead Teacher) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 31, 2015
I have fun and busy day every Monday. I learn more experience by talking ,feeding ,changing diapers, doing art with them to communicate directly every day. My management is counting on me as a great teacher of the infant's room. I teach my two co- workers how they can handle babies. The hardest part of my job is putting babies to sleep. The most enjoyable of my job is in the morning when I just enter in the room and they show me excitement by smiling and shaking their arms and feet to me which mean take me.
Pros
Nice Building with cameras
Cons
The layout makes it difficult for kids during nap time
horrible
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  PaAugust 26, 2015
Management treat staffs bad by telling them either go home early, come work late or come in early. I learned to be patient. Management was HORRIBLE.They hire people that are unqualified.Prisoners maybe, eat better food than the children in those centers. I loved working with the children, some coworkers were harder to work with, but that's as expected. The director was a Doll that the V/director was playing with.
Cons
teachers clean off the tables where kids eat with the same broom they use to brush the floor
Love the children, not the managment
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 25, 2015
I love working with the children but the management is rude, and inconsiderate of others lives. working overtime, and then having to do 2 hour breaks is no Bueno for me,