Children of America Employee Reviews

horrible
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), PaAugust 26, 2015
Cons: teachers clean off the tables where kids eat with the same broom they use to brush the floor
Management treat staffs bad by telling them either go home early, come work late or come in early. I learned to be patient. Management was HORRIBLE.They hire people that are unqualified.Prisoners maybe, eat better food than the children in those centers. I loved working with the children, some coworkers were harder to work with, but that's as expected. The director was a Doll that the V/director was playing with.
Love the children, not the managment
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), Fredericksburg, VAAugust 25, 2015
I love working with the children but the management is rude, and inconsiderate of others lives. working overtime, and then having to do 2 hour breaks is no Bueno for me,
Working with preschoolers
Pre K Teacher / Mentor Teacher (Current Employee), Saint Charles, ILAugust 23, 2015
The pay is not that great for the responsibilities. The staff is good and the management is good. The kids can be very difficult to work with at times, but overall it is a rewarding job. They offer a lot of training opportunities as well. I just can't afford to work there and support me and my son.
Cleaning
Preschool Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Manassas, VAAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Enjoying with the little one.
Cons: Bad pay and no benefits
Management treat staffs bad by telling them either go home early, come work late or come in early. The teachers who want to stay, they send them home but the one no want to stay will end up staying long hours and if the day low staffs, there is no breaks.
childern and safety
asst. teacher (Former Employee), manassas,vaAugust 10, 2015
Pros: learning and growing with the kids i was teaching
Cons: management
a normal day at works starts off by feeding childern breakfast than from there we teach them off the curriculum than lunch,nap,playtime
i learned to be patient and be a better person
Good on paper awful in reality
Center Director (Former Employee), VAAugust 8, 2015
Pros: Free childcare for Directors/ lower rated tuition for Assistant Directors childcare needs
Cons: Hours, low pay, poor benefits, lack of support, general human understanding.
Working on the administrative level for this LLC is beyond terrible. Your hours rotate between 930-630 and 630- 330. As in within the week you have to either open or close the center so day to day could be either hours. Moreover 9 hours often isn't enough and you are forced to stay even later without extra compensation. The pay is below average but the work load is impossible. Your direct boss, the educational specialist, tried but they are over worked as well. The higher up bosses at the home office in Florida have no respect, care, or consideration for any staff inside the centers including Directors and Assistant Directors. Everyone thinks their department should be your number one priority. They have lost sight of what childcare is about, the children and families we are providing service to. All the home office wants is money and for payroll to be as low as possible regardless of staffing needs and for administration to be slaves to the company.
Productive and energetic
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), Chestnut Hill, PAAugust 1, 2015
My coworkers get along great and we communicate well around the children. The day goes by so fast because of the fact I really enjoy what I do everyday.
Love the kids hate the management.
Co Teacher (Current Employee), Avon, INJuly 27, 2015
A typical day at COA involves being short staffed and out of ratio with children. Not to mention short on supplies such as sippy cups for the toddler rooms, and a constant shortage of art supplies and the non existent overtime. You are forced to take long lunch breaks anytime you are close to working overtime just so that you don't get 40 hours a week.
Chikdren of America was in a different lane than any other child care facility.
Director (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 22, 2015
Pros: It has a pretty set up
Cons: Non-compliances with the state.
This company was the worst company I've ever worked for. They need a liaison in North Carolina so they can understand and follow the guidelines in which the State of North Carolina requires all child care facilities to follow. They want to do things in which the manner in which they see fit. It was a struggle to maintain employment with this company. They expect too much from management with little or no assistance from the corporate office. The state consultant also requested they no ask so much from management since the state has so many requirements. They micro-manage the schools through count sheets and teacher log-ins.
Fun Environment
School age Teacher (Former Employee), Dumfries, VAJuly 16, 2015
Pros: I love working with the children
Cons: too many kids for one person
Planned out activities for school age children, provided one on one tutoring sessions, arts and crafts, and making sure the children were safe. Had a classroom of up to 18 children daily by myself.
Poorly run school
Assistant/Head Toddler teacher (Former Employee), Aberdeen, NJJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Could plan and teach concepts your own way
Cons: little to no assistance from directors and coworkers, place was not clean
I was left to everyday run and take care of the majority of the needs for the classroom and all the children in my room. I learned that having, running, maintaining a classroom is a lot of work.
School was very poorly run. Directors, i felt, did not hold up their end of running a school. They would delegate their responsibilities on to everyone else, who already had their work load. All of my coworkers constantly talked of how they were searching for other work because they were not happy.
Hardest part of job was that you were basically on your own when it came to running and getting/having things for your classroom. The most enjoyable part was spending quality time with the toddlers: playing imaginative games, teaching, singing, reading, hearing their stories, doing and making crafts, and just having fun
Expect to be underappreciated
Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 30, 2015
Pros: Getting to interact with cute and fun loving children
Cons: low pay, no benefits, no vacation days, no staff appreciation, long hours
This company is a child care facility but lacks the actual caring for the children. The "higher ups" view the children as numbers, and the employees as little more than indentured servants. I loved the kids and working with them and really despised how they were treated as nothing more than numbers, and shuffled from classroom to classroom without any forethought as to how that may affect their days. Routine is very important to children, especially young children trying to figure out their days, and getting shifted from classroom to classroom without warning can seriously disrupt a child's day! There wasn't much required to being hired, so getting paid the same amount as some lazy co workers did not give much incentive to go above and beyond in this job. I truly loved the children and the families that I worked with, and they appreciated me as well, but the corporate atmosphere is not something that goes hand in hand with child care.
Private owed child care. Quite friendly work place!!
Teacher (Former Employee), Columbus, ohioJune 10, 2015
Children of America was a wonderful place to work. Everyday at work I co taught the class with another teacher. This really prepared me for being able to have my own classroom. The center was very colorful and ran smoothly for the sake of the children. My favorite part of the job was the indoor motor room for the children for when the weather was to bad to be outside.
its alright
Childcare provider (Current Employee), Warrington, PAMay 20, 2015
Its an alright workplace. working with children is very rewarding but otherwise okay. During the summer hours get cut. we are either understaffed or overstaffed.
Great Place to work
Teacher (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: management cares about employees and children
Cons: located in a bad neighborhood
If you love kids and don't mind being exhausted from kids all day, this is the place to work.
Working here is rewarding because teaching children through a standardized curriculum keeps the kids, staff, and parents on a routine.
Grossly Negligent
Former Director (Former Employee), NCFebruary 20, 2015
Cons: inconsistent environment, negligent in behavoir, negative environment that promotes disrespect and hostile work environments
This organization represents the 'Worst of them All.' When I was hired as a School Director (I was 5th director in an 18 month period), I was lied to during my orientation. The previous director did not have the proper degree required. Despite the company posting the position for an aasistant director, they knew they needed my education in order to maintain the license. They somehow thought it was ethical to use me in that way. When the company decided to let the previous director go, they offered me the role as school director. After being placed in that position, my world changed. Not only did they not pay my worth for the complete mess that the company created, they also forced me to continue to work in a hostile work environment with an assistant director who was more disrespectful than a pimp. Despite the corporate being advised of my situation, they rather decided to wait until staff heard the disrespect and reported it to corporate. The situation was still not addressed in a manner that helped my daily work conditions. The corporate office refused to listen to the director and began a thought through plan of attack. They sent representatives to the school to tell me how much I wasn't doing. In fact, that was their demise of me. They stuck to their story of me not performing despite the number of complaints received about the assistant. Granted, my late nights, weekend work, etc. were all in vain. The final straw was them sending my immediate manager to visit the school and terminate me. I wasn't surprised, more hurt that the poor families were surely going to need an – more... administrator that truly cared about their children. The company constantly ignored state laws related to child care in NC. The company neglected to notify parents about important matters that affected their children. The really sad part about the school was that a majority of the past families enrolled next door. Families need support and consistency. Don't you think if there were problems, they should have been trying to work it all out? Why wouldn't they? Now, this poor little school has to suffer because of the negligence promoted from within. So sad. None of these scenarios even touch the time when the corporate office visited and looked me in my eyes and told me how much the corporate office "Hates" me! Of course that was in addition to me not having bulletin boards with posted "teacher-driven" projects on them. And telling me to create systems in the same sentence with me not following their processes. Which one is it???? Oh, and the time frame was all within a month. So-new director-cleaning up all the violations from previous staff and placed on an action plan within the first 30 days. Please be careful either working or attending this school. – less
hight quality child care center
Head Teacher - Toddlers / Faculty Trainer (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: sometimes we got free lunches.
Cons: no short break
Children of America was like my home. I was one of the first people to be hired and until this day its been the most amazing experience yet. Are boss was very supportive and fair. also organize and responsible. We all bonded as one. Maybe that is one of reason why everything work so well. Beside the fact that is hard work everyday was fun and enjoyable.
As long as you love children, you will love this place.
Instructor (Former Employee), Manassas, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: fun place
Cons: long unflexable hours
This is not a place to work if you are just looking for a quick check. This is a place that requires your time and dedication. Being a lead teacher, I was known for my organization and dedication. Although it isn't required, I brought work home to stay fully prepared for the following day. It was fun, hard work and totally worth it when you see just how much you influence the children.
N/A
Teacher (Former Employee), Woodbridge, VAJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day at Children of America is in the mornings when the kids are still cranky for being up so early.
I've learned how to be patient.
Management was HORRIBLE.
My co-workers were okay i kept to myself.
The hardest part of the day is when the kids came back from school so hyper.
The most enjoyable part of the day is being around various of children with different personalities.
Great Place
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), ColumbusJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: great manager!
Cons: unstable
Work is scheduled and they do a good job of keeping you on your schedule and allowing you to attend college courses.The Manager was amazing and wonderful to work with!