Children of America

Children of America Employee Reviews

Expect to be underappreciated
Teacher (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 30, 2015
Pros: Getting to interact with cute and fun loving children
Cons: low pay, no benefits, no vacation days, no staff appreciation, long hours
This company is a child care facility but lacks the actual caring for the children. The "higher ups" view the children as numbers, and the employees as little more than indentured servants. I loved the kids and working with them and really despised how they were treated as nothing more than numbers, and shuffled from classroom to classroom without any forethought as to how that may affect their days. Routine is very important to children, especially young children trying to figure out their days, and getting shifted from classroom to classroom without warning can seriously disrupt a child's day! There wasn't much required to being hired, so getting paid the same amount as some lazy co workers did not give much incentive to go above and beyond in this job. I truly loved the children and the families that I worked with, and they appreciated me as well, but the corporate atmosphere is not something that goes hand in hand with child care.
Private owed child care. Quite friendly work place!!
Teacher (Former Employee), Columbus, ohioJune 10, 2015
Children of America was a wonderful place to work. Everyday at work I co taught the class with another teacher. This really prepared me for being able to have my own classroom. The center was very colorful and ran smoothly for the sake of the children. My favorite part of the job was the indoor motor room for the children for when the weather was to bad to be outside.
its alright
Childcare provider (Current Employee), Warrington, PAMay 20, 2015
Its an alright workplace. working with children is very rewarding but otherwise okay. During the summer hours get cut. we are either understaffed or overstaffed.
Great Place to work
Teacher (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: management cares about employees and children
Cons: located in a bad neighborhood
If you love kids and don't mind being exhausted from kids all day, this is the place to work.
Working here is rewarding because teaching children through a standardized curriculum keeps the kids, staff, and parents on a routine.
Grossly Negligent
Former Director (Former Employee), NCFebruary 20, 2015
Cons: inconsistent environment, negligent in behavoir, negative environment that promotes disrespect and hostile work environments
This organization represents the 'Worst of them All.' When I was hired as a School Director (I was 5th director in an 18 month period), I was lied to during my orientation. The previous director did not have the proper degree required. Despite the company posting the position for an aasistant director, they knew they needed my education in order to maintain the license. They somehow thought it was ethical to use me in that way. When the company decided to let the previous director go, they offered me the role as school director. After being placed in that position, my world changed. Not only did they not pay my worth for the complete mess that the company created, they also forced me to continue to work in a hostile work environment with an assistant director who was more disrespectful than a pimp. Despite the corporate being advised of my situation, they rather decided to wait until staff heard the disrespect and reported it to corporate. The situation was still not addressed in a manner that helped my daily work conditions. The corporate office refused to listen to the director and began a thought through plan of attack. They sent representatives to the school to tell me how much I wasn't doing. In fact, that was their demise of me. They stuck to their story of me not performing despite the number of complaints received about the assistant. Granted, my late nights, weekend work, etc. were all in vain. The final straw was them sending my immediate manager to visit the school and terminate me. I wasn't surprised, more hurt that the poor families were surely going to need an – more... administrator that truly cared about their children. The company constantly ignored state laws related to child care in NC. The company neglected to notify parents about important matters that affected their children. The really sad part about the school was that a majority of the past families enrolled next door. Families need support and consistency. Don't you think if there were problems, they should have been trying to work it all out? Why wouldn't they? Now, this poor little school has to suffer because of the negligence promoted from within. So sad. None of these scenarios even touch the time when the corporate office visited and looked me in my eyes and told me how much the corporate office "Hates" me! Of course that was in addition to me not having bulletin boards with posted "teacher-driven" projects on them. And telling me to create systems in the same sentence with me not following their processes. Which one is it???? Oh, and the time frame was all within a month. So-new director-cleaning up all the violations from previous staff and placed on an action plan within the first 30 days. Please be careful either working or attending this school. – less
hight quality child care center
Head Teacher - Toddlers / Faculty Trainer (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: sometimes we got free lunches.
Cons: no short break
Children of America was like my home. I was one of the first people to be hired and until this day its been the most amazing experience yet. Are boss was very supportive and fair. also organize and responsible. We all bonded as one. Maybe that is one of reason why everything work so well. Beside the fact that is hard work everyday was fun and enjoyable.
As long as you love children, you will love this place.
Instructor (Former Employee), Manassas, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: fun place
Cons: long unflexable hours
This is not a place to work if you are just looking for a quick check. This is a place that requires your time and dedication. Being a lead teacher, I was known for my organization and dedication. Although it isn't required, I brought work home to stay fully prepared for the following day. It was fun, hard work and totally worth it when you see just how much you influence the children.
N/A
Teacher (Former Employee), Woodbridge, VAJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day at Children of America is in the mornings when the kids are still cranky for being up so early.
I've learned how to be patient.
Management was HORRIBLE.
My co-workers were okay i kept to myself.
The hardest part of the day is when the kids came back from school so hyper.
The most enjoyable part of the day is being around various of children with different personalities.
Great Place
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), ColumbusJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: great manager!
Cons: unstable
Work is scheduled and they do a good job of keeping you on your schedule and allowing you to attend college courses.The Manager was amazing and wonderful to work with!
WHAT A GREAT PLACE TO WORK ...COA ROCKS!!!!
Lead Teacher (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 3, 2015
I've been working at children of America( Downtown) for about 6 months i really enjoy working there..the staff, children, and parents are wonderful. i enjoy the curriculum because it gives children an opportunity to write everyday and the curriculum has open ended materials for age appropriate activities.The Management Team is wonderful Ms. Amy and Audrey are very open to suggestions, and they are both very respectful and they have great communication skills. what I enjoy most at COA is that i get to watch the children learn and grow, each child has their own unique personality and they are all great to be around. the down fall is the limited hours i would love to have more time to help the children accomplish more goals throughout the day. but overall COA is great and when i have children i plan to bring them here..COA ROCK!!!

I. J
I regret leaving my previous job
account manager/ operations analyst (Former Employee), delray beach, FLDecember 26, 2014
Pros: free breakfast. ocassionally, the company will buy lunch. these are the only perks
Cons: the pay is 46% less than average. the benefits are terrible, very expensive for a family; it is laughable. the work is overwhelming, having to complete someone elses work from 2013 on top of current work
This "corporate" environment is very unprofessional. There is a lot of gossiping and foul language on a daily basis. Prepare yourself to work through your lunch break, the work is very overwhelming and not worth the pay. Issues/concerns are brought up multiple times, but are not addressed in the proper - professional way. There is such a high turnover, the mangement need to look at themselves and their supervisory or managerial skills; I suggest training and semi-annual evaluations
interacting with kids and following curriculum
Teacher preschool I (Current Employee), Matawan, NJDecember 8, 2014
following routines/curriculum with children 2 years old to 4 years old,
doing art projects with them and interacting one on one with students during their worktime.
I learned how to communicate with parents and children.
I helped managment team out, I fill in from time to time when they need help in front. answering phones, call parents, keep count of how many children in each room on computer.
I alwyas got along with co-workers.
I enjoy teaching, making art projects with children , and socilizing with children, parents, and co workers.
good place
Lead Teacher/Assistant Director (Former Employee), North Aurora, ILDecember 5, 2014
It was a good place to work if you got to stay in your room and do your job specification
Worst environment I have ever worked in
Pre school teacher (Former Employee), NjOctober 22, 2014
Cons: all
Horrible management on all levels. This company only cares about making the most money possible even at the teachers and children's expense. As a preschool teacher I was constantly over the legal ratio and was basically told to deal with it. The state was called in to evaluate after parents had complained and I was asked by the director to cover things up and hide the ages of the children in my class so they would not notice I was over the legal ratio.
Constant Changes
Administrator (Former Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 3, 2014
Pros: they really care about the educational services they offer.
Cons: behind-the-scenes management is a disaster.
Children of America has an amazing educational program for the children and it is relatively easy for the teachers to implement. Unfortunately for the management team, the micromanagement from the home office causes constant miscommunication and backlash from the parents and staff. This creates a hostile environment and the management team is in a constant 'cleaning-up' effort instead of being able to focus on the education of the teachers and children.
Keeping children active and learning skills
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), South Elgin, ILSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: singing and dancing classes
Cons: later hours for late pick ups
Provided learning projects for the children. I learned that children need interesting projects to keep them focused in learning. Management provided necessary tools, supplies, and backup for the teachers. Co-workers helped each other with ideas for child's learning projects. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some parents coming in late to pick up their child causing the teacher to stay later cleaning up before able to go home. Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children's smiles every day.
Horrible
Lead Preschool Teacher (Former Employee), Southampton, PASeptember 11, 2014
They do not care about their employees. There is a large turnover rate for teachers. They expect so much yet pay so little. Management gossips and treats their teachers badly and are extremely unprofessional.
Productive and fun working environment.
Teacher (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAAugust 20, 2014
Working for Assisted living facilities, are very rewarding. And fullfilling, it is a great feeling knowing that you made someone's day just by doing the simple things by talking with them or helping with everyday things, that most of us take for granted.
aweomse place
Teacher (Former Employee), Appleton, WIJuly 21, 2014
The people are great and so welcoming. I learned how to be a good teacher but also a good learner. Management was awesome and so accepting. I had to quit due to my husband accepting a job out of state. They were really understanding and accepting of that. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and the children. It was such a good environment to work in.
not worth the stress
Lead Teacher Infant Class (Current Employee), PAJuly 1, 2014
Pros: love the children
Cons: unorganized
love the children

while the parents pay good money-management send staff home.

1 2 3 4