Children of America Employee Reviews in United States

N/a
Teachers Aid (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDApril 27, 2016
My work place was very warm and welcoming. My students learn different curriculum on a day to day course. My assistant is very helpful and very dependable and encouraging. The most hardest part is transitioning. The most enjoyable is that I am teaching them life long lessons that they will carry with them for a long time, and last but not least the smiles on their faces.
Not a great work environment
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAApril 13, 2016
The hours of employees are very much cut down, children and teachers are tossed around from classroom to classroom in order to reduce the number of employees on the clock. To me the worst thing was not being able to go to the restroom more, than maybe ONCE a day. I find it very inhumane. I was hurting physically. Also, there is a high pressure being put on the employees by the management. Really stressful place to work.
Pros
Location.
Cons
No bathroom breaks, hours cut.
The kids made it a fun environment
Infant/Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Maineville, OHFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day at work was providing breakfast, lunch and snack. It was changing diapers, putting kids down for naps, interacting with them on their level. Singing, and dancing. I learned all the protocols, what kind needed what. The management was great. Hardest part of the job was watching kids grow up. Most enjoyable part was getting to spend the day with the kids. Always puts a smile on your face.
Good place to work and learn.
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 19, 2016
A typical day for me was to come in at 7:00,feed my school agers breakfast, then work on art projects for the hallways , continue to do roll and breakfast as kids were coming in throughout the morning, after that I drive the bus and take my group to school, come back do break in a classroom, then go on break until 2:00 ,go back pick up children , give this group snack , help them with homework , then I 3:00 i leave again to pick up the other children from school, leave at 4:00. I learned to be flexible , leadership and how to care for all the children and most of all to be patient ,loving and understanding. I love work with a great bunch of people ,really enjoyed my co workers
Pros
Children's had great healthy lunches, and lots of learning tools.
Cons
Company had benefits.
productive and fun with all of the children
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gambrills, MDFebruary 18, 2016
i have learn a lot from this job. how to communicate with people. a typical day is coming and greeting coworkers and the children.
Pros
great enviroment
Cons
lack of privacy
Secure workplace.
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAFebruary 10, 2016
The most rewarding experience is watching the children under my care, mature and grow to be respectful young citizens with inquiring minds. Management changes were so many that a meaningful assessment is not possible.
Pros
A learning environment.
Cons
No pay increases for years.
The ugly truth
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 9, 2016
This company is the absolute worst, they simply do not care about their employee's at all. You don't get any benefits not even maternity leave. I've watched many people get mistreated especially the one's who were pregnant, old, or had any physical conditions period. They forget to give people breaks and take a long time to even relieve you for a bathroom break.This particular location i'm referring too was very unorganized, dirty, and not to mention on a provisions licensing for years. Their is a high turn over rate with the employee's as well as the director's. I would not recommend this company unless you like being under paid and over worked.
Pros
the children
Cons
no benefits bad management bad working conditions bad overall environnment
Horrible place to work
Assistant Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  IvylandFebruary 8, 2016
I worked there for almost two years. Nothing I did was good enough! I was criticized all the time for no matter what I did. I was forced to resign because I was accused of intentionally hurting a child! Horrible place to work! Corporate is only concerned with profits, the director and assistant director can't even work with each other let alone work well with the staff. I got written up for child abuse and basically lost my job, but other staff drag children around by their arms, stick children in dark closets because they cry too much and throw children on the floor because they take their shoes off! Most co-workers were very nice but the only enjoyable part of the job was the kids. I loved my toddlers so much but it was too hard being criticized every day! I would never send my children there!
Pros
Wonderful children and parents
Cons
Management, lack of support of staff
fun place
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 8, 2016
children of america is a fun place to work and the teacher there teach you a lot of different ways to teach the class room. you have to be willing to learn and they will teach you. it is a great place to work if you are willing to learn
1 month and i was out
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAFebruary 4, 2016
Management from the head office is not concerned about employees. Emphasis is on money. Every corporation is concerned with the bottom line which is natural but expectations of the staff are unreasonable compared to the compensation. Benefits are minimal. Employees are underpaid and undervalued. Teachers are paid very little for the vast amount of work they do. Onsite management is expected to clock out staff immediately as children leave and ratios drop. The time needed for cleaning the classrooms, putting up the required displays, doing lesson plans, assessments and portfolios often exceeds what can be completed during naptime and so is frequently done on the teachers own time, unpaid and this is actually expected by the company.

No respect for employees.
Overall an OK place
Floating Teacher/ Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 27, 2016
Work days vary. Never guaranteed hours in childcare. Management is great! They are very uplifting but down to business as well. Co-workers are awesome. Could not have a better set of guys and girls. Room for advancement is few and far between. They do not like to give raises. You have to have a passion for children if you work in childcare. They are what makes your day!
Excellent Childcare Center
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Doylestown, PAJanuary 25, 2016
COA Doylestown is truly a wonderful place to work! In all of my time working in childcare centers, this is he best I've ever been privileged to be associated with!
The staff is well educated, creative, loving and kind. They truly love children. I recommend this school for those who want a superior child care education experience for their child!
Pros
Great staff, beautiful facility, responsive management/director
Cons
Located farther out in the town of plumsteadville (Doylestown mailing address)
Great coworkers
Lead Daycare Teacher (Former Employee) –  Avon, INJanuary 19, 2016
There are some jobs that you feel satisfied doing and feel like you are helping in every way possible. the management team at COA didn't provide that always but the coworkers and some of the parents made it a great company to work for.
fun and friendly
Teacher/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDNovember 10, 2015
this place is very fun and friendly. everyone is so wonderful except some people try to be in others personal lives but other than that its great.
Worse company to work for
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 5, 2015
DO NOT work for this company!! Worse mistake you could make. The corp office does not care about their employees. The pay is horrible, the minimal benefits they offer are horrible, they don't give raises or bonuses and their only concern is how much money they can pocket. The company is poorly run by individuals who have no idea what it's like to work/run a successful center. They don't promote based on experience or qualifications because that would mean they would have to pay the person well. They hire people based on how little they can pay them therefore they get low quality staff. The staff turnover in the center is like a revolving door. Corp and management talk up the center but when you actually work there you realize it was all lies you were told. There is no staff appreciation or recognition of doing well. Corp does not follow licensing rules and regulations. If breaking a regulation means more money then that's what they'll do. There are assistant teachers running classrooms, there are non 7D licensed drivers driving the vans and classrooms are out of ratio-and this is all ok to Corp.

Do yourself a favor, don't work for this company and don't ever send your child to school for this company.
Pros
You get to work with children
Cons
Read review
work
Teacher/School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Sicklerville, NJOctober 29, 2015
The place is a horrble place to work they dont follow the laws. They are to wrapped up in there life to do there jobs.. I hated working here , i loved the kids not the place
Family Oriented and Productive Environment
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLOctober 17, 2015
Great company to work for! The skill sets learned are transferable in any organization and I would recommend my friends and family seeking employment.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Enjoyed working for this company
CAREGIVER (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 10, 2015
Great benefits good working environment got along well with the employees and the employers. Worked for this company 5 years with no major issues got along well with parents as well.
Pros
hour lunches and great benefits
Horrid
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 6, 2015
Hated it there. Only there for a week and a half. Worse experience. The children are so bad due to the lack of structure within the facility. The workers literally yell and scream at the children in order for them to listen. Barely any toys for children to play with, good looks disgusting, and the curriculum is horrible. Poor poor facility. You never get off on time, and they don't allow over time -- so you can count on long breaks
Cons
Good and bad points like many companies
Early Childhood Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hockessin, DEOctober 4, 2015
The Good:
The facility itself is wonderful. Clean and full of resources for the children. The teachers work hard and have a genuine love for the children and families that attend there. The children are well cared for. Sound policies and procedures make for a very safe environment for the children and staff. Opportunity for advancement is good.

The Bad:
Center directors are hired at a lower than reasonable wage with promises that regular quarterly bonuses will supplement and be part of that salary but these never materialize. Despite hitting required targets, out of 20 promised bonuses, only 3 were paid out. Onsite management is also expected to shuffle children from room to room whenever possible, in order to cut teachers earlier than their allotted shifts.

Feedback from head office to centers focuses solely on negatives. Teachers are
  more... rarely complimented for the excellent jobs they do during corporate visits. Center staff rarely speak up on conference calls because any hint of unhappiness or requests for change is frowned upon. Respect is a one way street in this company and it only flows towards the home office.

Despite all this, I enjoyed my time working there with the teachers and the families. If you are a person that is motivated from within, not from monetary compensation; gain your job satisfaction from your immediate co-workers, the children and families and if you do not need the approval of the corporate home office bosses to be happy, you can benefit from the good points of working for this company. If however, you do not function well without recognition or even respect and if you expect to be paid for all the work you do, then this is not the company for you.
Pros
clean facilites, safe, good resources
Cons
low pay, minimal benefits, high expectations, negative and critical home office, little to no respect