ChildServe Employee Reviews

Rewarding and lots of room for promotion. paid training
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA 50310April 18, 2017
I loved working for child serve. This is an amazing place where the care is top notch. The staff are caring and are appreciated through out the year with christmas bonuses, child serve gear, etc. They provide competitive pay and benefits. The hiring process does take awhile but this to ensure that they employ the best of the best. I recommend working here if you are on the fence.
Pros
flexibility, working with children with disabilities, staff appreciation
Cons
can be emotionally and physically draining, stressful at times
Intern Position
Prospect Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IAApril 17, 2017
I loved having the opportunity to complete my internship at ChildServe! I was able to learn a lot with the individuals that I worked under when it came to working for a non profit organization.
Positive work environment
Individual Respite Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IAApril 11, 2017
Childserve was a flexible work environment, which was nice when I was working at my other job during the summer. The family I worked with was very flexible in their scheduling, and their child I worked with was very easy-going for the activities that we did together.
awesome
Respite and Successful Community Living Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 5, 2017
This was a great job and incredibly rewarding would recommend to anybody and everybody working with kids is an incredible and fun job especially at this company
Mission Vision and Values
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IAApril 2, 2017
The mission, vision, and values for ChildServe are proactive and positive for the clients served. The problem is the upper management forgets this and is more concerned about money than service. If they would remember, always, the service brings in the money they would have no problems. The service the clients get at ChildServe is some of the best I have ever seen. It is a challenge working with upper management at times but the culture and teamwork that comes with the job is amazing and wonderful.
Pros
Concern for their employees
Cons
forgetting the reason they exist
Day Health Lead (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 1, 2017
•Developed realistic and appropriate goals for children with medical and therapeutic needs
•Supported children’s health, skill development and retention by producing a therapeutic environment that promotes learning
•Created individual care plans for each child based on each child’s specific needs
•Partnered with family members to provide education and support
Friendly work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IAJanuary 11, 2017
Job responsibilities include organizing, filing, using the company computer program. Skills learned from this job include organization, time management, and data entry. This job has very flexible hours, friendly boss and co-workers, and clean and inviting work environment.
Great experience with children and their families.
Skill Development Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 8, 2017
After working as an SCL and Respite employee for a year, I can say that I love working with the kids. Work is very motivating and rewarding. Only downside is the driving.
Pros
rewarding work, great connection with children.
Cons
driving to surrounding communities, documentation.
special events
Purchasing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IANovember 29, 2016
great place to work, everyone is always in good mood. I enjoy the challenges of everyday to day job duties. I rarely do the same thing everyday.
Pros
everything
okay workplace
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 11, 2016
Need more job security for employees. Need more training for the employees to be able to serve their clients better. A typical work day feels very overwhelming. There's not that much teamwork. Employees are too relaxed and expect others to do the work for them
Pros
job
Cons
job security
fair
Johnston, Iowa - Homes Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IASeptember 21, 2016
Great Company to work for. The work load is a lot. It is difficult to have a have a work home life balance. My staff were great. The state audits were the hard parts.
Pros
the kids
Cons
the state
Great workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IASeptember 21, 2016
Great place to work to get experience as a new nurse! May not be for everyone but it is a very rewarding place to work. The children are also and know how to make you smile!
Good place to work.
Respite Worker (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 16, 2016
I make my own schedule with the parents of the child I work with. Typically we play and I assist him with getting food, using restroom, getting medicine, etc. Sometimes we go in the community and do other activities like working on money and manners.
After my time with my client I have 24 hours to put my notes in online and document my work.
Pros
I pick my own schedule.
Make a difference, a little
Skills Development Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 21, 2016
Don't get many hours, but love working with the kids. Management could use some work. Working with the kids is fun, but patience is required.
Fun Atmosphere and awesome facility
PRN CRT (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IAOctober 5, 2015
Awesome supervisor and co-workers. It has been a great learning experience working with children with disabilities.
Pros
Great food
Cons
NONE
Great
Direct Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IASeptember 22, 2015
Great place to work I love it! Awesome kids and awesome place and company to work for. I absolutely love the schedules and the management is very willing to work with you.
One of the Family
RN (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IAJuly 14, 2015
Nurses must maintain an independent nursing role in order to feel comfortable in home care. Most difficult part of the job is not having access to a pharmacy when client is in need of medication.
Pros
Immediate PTO
Cons
No holiday pay
Terrible Management
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 7, 2015
Belittled by management. Work hours were not flexible and I worked 12-8:30 most of the time so it was a tough shift to work with a family. Pay was average. Co-workers were fun and so were the children.
Pros
children
Cons
management
Supportive environment that cares about mission
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IAMay 29, 2015
Childserve really believes in their mission and everyone is focused on the best life for the child. The supervisors want you to succeed. You have to be careful not to let the job take over your life though. There wasn't a lot of advancement opportunity but good job security. Recommend Childserve as a place of employment.
Pros
There for all the right reasons
Cons
No advancement potential
Good Employment
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IAApril 1, 2015
I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience from my time at this employment.
The management teams have been very supportive in helping to grow as an individual and professional.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ChildServe. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2