ChildServe

ChildServe Employee Reviews

Terrible Management
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJune 7, 2015
Pros: children
Cons: management
Belittled by management. Work hours were not flexible and I worked 12-8:30 most of the time so it was a tough shift to work with a family. Pay was average. Co-workers were fun and so were the children.
Supportive environment that cares about mission
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee), Johnston, IAMay 29, 2015
Pros: There for all the right reasons
Cons: No advancement potential
Childserve really believes in their mission and everyone is focused on the best life for the child. The supervisors want you to succeed. You have to be careful not to let the job take over your life though. There wasn't a lot of advancement opportunity but good job security. Recommend Childserve as a place of employment.
Good Employment
Case Manager (Current Employee), Johnston, IAApril 1, 2015
I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience from my time at this employment.
The management teams have been very supportive in helping to grow as an individual and professional.
Company values and dedicatin is wonderful
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Johnston, IAOctober 7, 2014
Pros: helping children
Cons: not available outside des moines area.
I love Childserve and what it stands for. I get to work with many levels and different spectrums of children with special health care needs. I perform trach cares, g-tube cares and feedings as well as medication administration. Cathing many types of children, management has same goals and love for bettering every child's life. I work on OT, PT, and ST goals with the children and answer questions parents have. Hardest part of the job is getting attached to the children and families. Most enjoyable is getting watch the children grow and advance individually.
A typical Day at work
Therapeutic Recreation Intern (Current Employee), Johnston, IAAugust 7, 2014
A typical day at work starts with getting organized for the day and making sure each patient from the previous day has been documented/charted on. Then I go out onto the unit to see which kids or up so I can start engaging in activities with them. If there are a lot of patients in the sun room I will conduct a group activity that benefits everyone.
My days begin at 8:00am Monday-Thursday; to start – more... out each day I go into the office to check my emails, chart on the kids, and fill out my service activity log from the previous day. After all the charting/documenting is done I check my emails again to see if there are any new meetings scheduled for the day, then I normally email the nursing supervisors to inform them of any outings going on in the weeks to come. Once all the emails, charting, and loose ends of the previous day are tied I go out to the unit by about 9:00am to check the board and see the times I have each patient scheduled. 9:00am is normally the time most of the kids are getting out of bed.
Most days I only have a few kids scheduled so I am able to make my own schedule and hang out with kids when they are not with PT, OT, or speech. This also allows Katie and me to do group activities with the kids so they can socialize with one another. From about 9:00am to around noon I see any of my patients on my caseload I have scheduled or are available. If there are enough kids in the sunroom Katie and I will conduct a game group with the kids or do an activity we think would be most beneficial for the group we are able to round up. I love doing group activities because it is a great way to see patients interacting and flowing with one another.
When I am not doing a group activity I normally either go into the kids rooms or conduct the activity with them in the sunroom, playroom, or activity room. If they are able to communicate with me what activities they want to engage in then I will ask them, but if they are unable to communicate with me verbally I give the patients about three activity options and they will communicate in their particular way what activity they want. A lot of the patients not able to vocalize what they want either shake their head for “yes” and “no,” or blink for “no” and close their eyes for “yes.”
After the morning sessions are done Katie and I eat lunch. On Tuesdays we normally have about an hour meeting with the rehab team during lunch to discuss the patients and how they are doing in their different therapies. After the lunch meetings on Tuesday there is normally a rehab meeting where the rehab team discusses the progress of three patients at a time, with the patient’s doctor present. This is a great way to get everyone together to discuss interventions or things that should be done differently. It also allows the said patients doctor to learn more about what we are doing with the patient to improve their daily life. Meetings normally take place on Tuesdays, which can make it is hard to see a lot of patients.
Most of the kids are put down for naptime between 12:30-3:00pm. After naptime, the afternoon that is another perfect time to see kiddos and also do group activities when there are not meetings or care conferences. A lot of the kids like going on walks outside which normally takes place late afternoon. On Wednesday the pet therapy dog comes in the afternoon for about an hour and a half. The patients absolutely adore the dog and owner and ask about when they are coming all week long. Damarius, the pet therapy dog, visits some patients in their rooms but most of the time we make a circle around him and the kids take turns throwing the ball (some with assistance) to the dog. On Wednesday-Friday Katie and I are normally in the pool for about an hour and a half with patients who are allowed to swim. The patients that have an order to swim really enjoy being in the water and letting their extremities move freely. Some of the patients are very timid at first but after about ten minutes they warm up and relax themselves. For the patients to be able to swim we have to ask for an order from their physician. If the doctor writes back saying it is okay then we can figure out what times work in the patients schedule.
By about 4 o’clock I make my way back to the office to chart on the patients that were seen that day. I also check my emails and get myself organized for the next day. Each day is filled with something new and exciting and I enjoy what each day has to offer. I enjoy that I am able to make my own schedule and see my caseload of patients may times a week, which has allowed me to learn more about their likes and dislikes and learn how to interact with many different patients with varying diagnosis. – less
LOTS of person to person interaction
Respite Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAJune 12, 2014
diverse ability levels create diverse work experiences; hours vary greatly (many factors); LOTS of family interaction; not much interaction with other employees; potential for lifting over 50 lbs
Excellent place to work and would still be there if they had not downsized the department.
Scheduler (Former Employee), Johnston, IAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: co-workers/clients and their families, wonderful working conditions.
Cons: upper management did not always hear our complaints or act on them.
Check schedules and see what needed to be filled, see if all positions were filled for the day, if not, find someone who was qualified to fill the position. Make certain everything was entered into the computer correctly so that payroll and billing could be done from the entries. I learned a lot about teamwork within our department, it was excellent. The management within the department was wonderful, – more... above the department, I felt they did not always listen to our problems and act on them. Co-workers were the best and I would love to work with all of them again. The hardest part of the job was not being able to fill some of the positions, leaving the family to do cares for their loved one. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and getting to know the co-workers, clients and their families. – less
Great job!
Resident Aide (Former Employee), Johnston, IADecember 22, 2013
It was a awesome environment for a person who likes working with children.
work environment
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee), Des Moines, IASeptember 6, 2013
Pros: rewarding feeling
Cons: can be challenging at times
Great co-workers, clients and management. working for this company was fun and enjoyable
Satisfying position caring for developmentally disabled children
Pediatric Homecare RN (Former Employee), Johnston Iowa, HomecareSeptember 3, 2013
Typical workday was busy and involved nursing skills in many capacities including assessment of physical needs of child as well as supportive needs of family. Nurse co-workers were wonderful.
Great company
Respite Service Assistant (Former Employee), Johnston, IowaSeptember 1, 2013
Pros: pay
I enjoyed working for this company- very kind people.
I loved working here. It was very easy and fun, my coworkers were wonderful. The most enjoyable part of the job is being with the children
Great beginnings!
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAJune 2, 2013
Pros: love the kids!
Cons: sometime management can be too demanding and doesn't care enough.
For me, I only work a couple hours a day before closing so for the most part it's a quite day. I begin my day with changing all the children's diapers, picking up with classroom then interacting with the children left. My short time at Childserve now is coming to an end, I didn't have much experience when I began here but after this short time I have gained a lot.
Wonderful place to work, loved my position, co workers and residents.
CNA/Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Johnston, IANovember 6, 2012
Pros: on site cafe, value their employees, great benifits and room for advancement
Cons: lots of lifting/ physical labor
Provided personal cares to include bathing, grooming, positioning and daily cares of disabled children on a Continuing Care unit as a CNA/Resident assistant.
I learned how precious life is and how to truly work as a team.
Providing medical care is a team effort in any facility. From physical therapist, RN's and office staff, we all came together and gave the true meaning of a team.
The hardest part of my job was meeting children with conditions that affect the quality of their life. Some caused by abuse, accidents birth defects and illnesses.
The best part of my job was giving that child a smile, comfort, love and exceptional care.
Headquarters