Chili's Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,568 reviews matching the search
they never had a responcible manager, servers never liked to be neat
DISHWASHER/COOK (Former Employee) –  great northern stFebruary 8, 2016
lots of dishes work hard. I did not learn anything. they was horrible never even told me why I was fired. they was friendly. the hardest part was they never gave me enough time to know all of the food.the most fun part was getting off.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
second one had to pay for
Nice place
Server (Former Employee) –  Centerville, UTJuly 14, 2015
This job is what you know it to be. The menu is just a step above fast food so sometimes you get some terrible people walking in. People who wouldn't leave a tip if Buddah, Jesus, Moses, Mohammad and the Pope had made the sandwich and delivered it themselves (in the case of atheists please imagine your sandwich on baquette served by Sartre). I mean some really scummy people. Unfortunately, these are also the people you rely on to help feed your family, so prepare to fill a keg of sodas and spin a bin of chips each night. Volume is the only way to make a living in this line of work
Otherwise the job was great. Brinker is mostly full of people just there to get their job done and hopefully put up better numbers than the previous month/quarter/roll-out/manager. You have to sell a lot of new promos but it's better than having the same menu for years, I guess.
Pros
Benefits, advancement, easy relocation, schedule felxibility, generally positive workplace
Cons
Some complacent managers, pay unsteady/seasonal, long/double shifts usual, training program was ineffective
Fun work place, Good work environment.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTOctober 29, 2015
I enjoyed my job at chili's very much other than the low amount of hours and low pay grade.
I learned a lot about how to deal with angry customers in a professional work environment with food handling.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
No benefits, not enough hours to make a living, Not enough pay.
A challenging job
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Espanola, NMFebruary 29, 2016
When I was hired on as a waitress, my duties were as one would think. I greeted tables, took drink, food, and dessert orders. I sat people at tables, I cleaned tables, swept floors, and washed the booth seats. We dealt with all the money transactions ourselves as well as prepared gift cards if someone wanted to buy. I worked mostly evening shifts but also worked some days. Our management was horrible while I was there, there was a lot of favoritism and unfair treatment between some of the managers and the employees. I was a waitress trainer for some time, I don't even recall having been trained or asked to be a mentor, yet was scheduled to do so. There were a lot of clashing with the servers some nights, the best part of every day was simply the end of the shift. When we brought a lot of in house issues to some of the higher ups, through whatever reason, they were changed locations or let go.
Pros
discounted meals
Cons
favoritism, rudeness
Exciting position with a great team environment
Customer Service Representative (Server) (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAFebruary 18, 2016
The management is great at this site. I love everyone I work with. We work in teams of two and had to learn to rely on each other to get our job done with proficiency. All of my co-workers were great people to work with and I developed some true friendships out of this job. There really wasn't anything that was hard to do at this job, but if I had to pick my least favorite thing to do it would be sweeping the floor after a busy night. When we got very busy, everyone pulled together and helped each other to get the job done. The most enjoyable part of this job was getting to meet new people everyday and the people I worked with. I learned how great it can be to work in a team-centered environment and how rewarding it can be when the team is successful.
Pros
People
Cons
The uniforms
Chilis still behind on paying fair wages
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJuly 15, 2015
I was a serve here as a teenager. 8 years later and Chilis is still paying servers 2.13 an hour with absolutely no raises. Management was awful and so was the pay. The chilis I worked at wasn't in the best area so even though you worked your butt off, people would still tip you 10% because they were cheap, and even if you cleaned off your own tables and didn't have any alcoholic drinks that night, you still had to tip out to the bus boy and bartender.
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
everything else
Working at Chili's
Host/Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Round Lake Beach, ILFebruary 19, 2016
A typical shift working at Chili's work be opening the restaurant and opening the bar. I would be cleaning everything as well as preparing for the day. I would be cutting all the fruit, making sure that all the juices were still good and if they needed to be filled up. I would walk around the restaurant to make that the tables were clean and that the floors were swept. The restaurant would open and guests would come in. While working at Chili's I made lots of friends and the management team was great as well. While being there I taught new staff how to serve and host as well as teach them how to use the system. I miss working there but now I'm onto bigger and better things.
Pros
free meals, staff was great
Cons
very short break, kitchen staff was temperamental.
No longer a big family
Server, Bartender, Hostess/Buser, To-Go (Former Employee) –  Germantown, WIJuly 8, 2016
When I was 16 is when I first started to work at Chili's. At this time it was like we were all a big family, we all worked together, helped each other out and had fun while we were doing it. As time progressed, it seemed to go downhill. When I was 18, I became a server and bartender, I was supposed to leave and go away to college, but my plans changed and I ended up staying and working there while I was in school. This is when I really noticed things going downhill. Employees weren't working together anymore, managers weren't helping out. It was basically everyone fends for themselves which was not something that I was happy to be a part of and was one of the big reasons I chose to leave.
Pros
Good money, fun co-workers
Cons
not a team environment, not many people willing to help out
Great company , becoming too corporate .
Server (Former Employee) –  Leominster, MAJune 1, 2016
They care too much about what there surveys say . Should really listen to the employees to see how the resturaunt could improve because they know more then anyone ! Laziest management I've ever had in my life . god forbid they lift a cup off your table . the servers there are some of the hardest working I've ever met . if u want to work for a company that will constantly tell u what u did wrong instead of praising u this is the company for u although the money is great its not worth the aggravation . its very inconsistent and management only cares about what they're getting , not helping servers , kitchen , Togo , or hosts .
Pros
Great money
Cons
Long shifts, sometimes u have to roll 2 buckets of silverware one shift . very inconsistent with breaks, sidework, and poor managment
Terrible Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJuly 11, 2016
Management did not work with your availability, they showed favoritism, and constantly messing up your schedule, long hours, double shifts everyday. People who have small children should not apply. They aren't very busy so your working hard for nothing. You have to ask permission to eat when you are on the clock no exceptions or they throw your food away. There are NO breaks not a 10, 15, or 30. If you have worked all day you still don't get a break. All around the store has no team work and the working conditions are unexceptionable. I receive benefits from the state and when I left Chili's they were suppose to fill out some paperwork and give it back to the state, and they did not. I have a 3 year old and I'm a single mom they did not help at all. They maybe a family restaurant but they are not family orientated with in management and employment
Pros
Tips, Half off food
Cons
no breaks, have to ask permission to eat, and terrible management.
Great place to work with amazing benifits
Hostess (Current Employee) –  American Fork, UTMay 21, 2016
My job is very easy and my requirements are the same every day. I know what every day is going to be like and going into work I know that I will have a fun day. I am a hostess so I answer the phone, take reservations and seat people who come in the door! The atmosphere at work is awesome. My co workers and the management is great. They are all friendly and they are very understanding and get along very well. I would say the hardest part of the job is the busy weekends. People get very upset with you if you tell them your wait time is long. The most enjoyable part is the people. I love the interaction I get with the friendly customers and my co workers are just awesome!
Pros
50% for me and 3 others, free food during shifts on occasion and free drinks!
Cons
no breaks
Nice working environment very interactive with customers
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Rosemont, ILMay 17, 2016
Working at Chili's was a great way to meet new people and be able to interact with different kinds of people. Co-workers were very helpful and understanding when something might have gone wrong once in a while. Through working here I learned a lot about customer service and how important communication is. Management was most of the time very understanding and met most of my needs. The hardest part of my job was the fact that not everyone of my co-workers would communicate with each other and every now and then we would get confused because everyone was doing something different. The most enjoyable part of my job was, like I said, letting to meet new/different people that came into the restaurant and getting a chance to engage in a conversation and interact with them.
Pros
Discounted food and engagement with customers.
Cons
Scheduling wasn't very flexible
Good workplace and Company
Cook (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXFebruary 24, 2016
Typical day at work was easy and busy. I learned how to work harder and faster here. Management was good and friendly. Co-workers were awesome and good to work with. Hardest part was how busy it got. The most enjoyable part was cooking and conversations with the people there.
Worst job I've ever had in my life.
Host (Former Employee) –  Chili's OviedoDecember 26, 2015
I was a hostess at Chili's for 10 months. We were one of the busiest Chili's in FL and got huge rushes even on weeknights. Wait time was typically 1 1/2 hour, longer for large parties. The management was not cohesive at all, nobody worked as a team and everyone was out to help themselves only, so usually the servers would be mad at the hosts, the kitchen would be mad at the servers, the servers would be mad at the kitchen, the kitchen would be mad at the hosts, and the managers would be mad at everyone. Communication was AWFUL, the headsets were only good to overhear everyone yelling at each other.

During my time there I saw at least 3 cooks walk out in the middle of dinner rush because of the clusterfckery that was happening, and the managers breathing down their necks. Because of the manager's immature attitudes antagonizing people into quitting their jobs, the rest of us would be screwed because now we have less people in the kitchen and we're already behind.

I was paid minimum wage and was expected not only to cover host duties but to run food and then bus tables. They laid off or moved all the busers to different stations and expected me to take over for them without getting a portion of the tips. Breaks are unheard of and once I tried to call in for my shift because I was throwing up, and the manager told me I had to come in because their on-call person "didn't really know how to host". If you're a server, you should know how to host! The manager proceeded to make me come in, even though I TOLD him I was vomiting, and then expected me to run food! I told him, "I'm
  more... not touching anyone's plates. I've been THROWING UP all day."

Examples of the non-cohesive management.

1st manager: "I want you to seat every 3-5 minutes. Inform the table about all the new drinks and menu items and go into detail about the Ziosk. Find out their story and why they are here. Hand out the new menu item slides every 3rd menu because if you hand them all out the kitchen gets too behind"

Two minutes later the 2nd manager comes out. "SEAT SEAT SEAT. Don't worry about anything. Don't explain anything. I want you to seat as fast as you can. I want a new item slide in EVERY menu!"

So no matter what I did a manager would be yelling at me that I was doing it all wrong. Also, no raises, ever. Another host had worked there 7 years and still received minimum wage.
Great environment to work in. All employees are like family.
Server/ togo specialists/ cashier/ prep cook (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 23, 2015
I have learned to speed my service and accuracy of food preparation. The best part of this job was getting along with all employees and creating a great family atmosphere for the guests.
Pros
Half off meals, company wide get togethers for emploeyy fun and food, and health benifits.
I have connected with people here more than I have at any other job.
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Algonquin, ILJanuary 16, 2016
The work days were either super busy and i'm talking 12 tables at a time, or super slow more like 2 tables at a time. This job really taught me a lot though. I've never been put under so much pressure in the food and beverage industry more than I have at this job. Most of the co-workers would help each other out tremendously, because we all cared for each other and wanted the best for one another. I have to say I felt like I worked so much that my fellow co-workers and some management was family to me. We all got along for the most part, we all knew each others significant others. This job really helped me open up to people whether I was bar-tending, serving, or doing side work with some body. There has been days where I would take the whole restaurant by myself or with another server during a rush. The amount of tables seemed endless (13+) but it was a relief to know that you had people working with you as a team to get things done (management/another server). Over all I'm not to fond of the GM but the other managers were spectacular and I wish them the best.
Pros
Co-workers, most management, and advancement
Cons
General manager and short handed staff
Employees great to work with horrible management
Cook (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILMay 10, 2016
Worst place to work if your a cook or chef all they do when you start is shove you in some corner just make you do salads no cooking what so ever management works you into the ground with one day off a week. Split shifts without telling you. Most of all your mostly just a janitor waiters and waitresses are lousy they dont even clean there area of work. People doing drugs out in the parking lot at work and working under the influence. Not allowed any holidays off. Pay just sucks the worst part there is a great college that has a great culinary arts program but with the way chili's management treats employees no one wants to work at this location thats why there always hiring. When they list a job opening it shouldnt say cook it should say janitor salad person. Such a waste of a place to work for people who have talent.
Pros
Cons
Lousy hours horrible management terrible pay hardly any days off miss leading on job titles
Worklife
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJuly 12, 2016
Never worked at such a bias location like this. Management doesn't care about the employees. Only thing they care about is surveys from Ziosk and all the bonus the managers get from Intent to return score. Makes you push to get 5 stars. Like how 5 stars are 100 and 4 star is zero, 3 star is negative 100. It's not always servers fault. It can be food, bartender, host. They schedule you according to your score. if you have less score they might not even schedule you for the week. Therefore, makes you force to quit. BUT hey, this doesn't apply for managers favorites. They can get all the shifts they want and also whatever section they can be. Manager cannot fire you because you have low scores but definitely can schedule you as a host, to-go person even if you are hired as a server. Stop just worrying about the bonuses you get Managers but also have some respect towards your employees. I wonder why people no-call, no-show at this restaurant and always short staffed.
Pros
Cons
Disrespectful managers, Management
Chili's Review
Prep Cook/Bartender/ Head Server (Current Employee) –  Wyncote, PAMay 23, 2016
A normal day at work would be prepping food for the entire work shift. Serving our guest with great customer service and making sure they would always come back for their next visit. I have learned to work at a very fast paced business and multi-task. Management was very good at helping us keep up with our guests and always made sure shifts were calm and never too unorganized. Co-workers were very nice I was a head server at Chili's so everyone who was hired I trained for the workplace. The hardest part of this job was having to leave because it doesn't pay me enough for my lifestyle. I love to work there with humble people and the festivities was very fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting our guests it was like having a third family at work.
Pros
free food, free non-alcoholic drinks, great managers, great coworkers, and great food
Cons
no breaks, no gratuity, no callouts at all no matter what the cause you were responsible for all shifts to be covered
Rewarding from all aspects
Bartender/Server/Trainer/Asst. manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 6, 2016
Its fast paced, fun, never the same from day to day. I've met some really interesting people and have formed some great friendships with guests as well as co-workers. I've learned tolerance and patience when dealing with all walks of life. Put a smile on my face and move on. Being a manager is multifaceted and they have a lot of responsibility to guests, employees and their bosses, its not an easy job. Knowing I've changed someone's day by giving my best to them, being able to help co-workers and don't forget money is what makes the world go round, but its not everything, its relationships.
Pros
Fast money in small amount of time
Cons
High stress levels

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chili's. Our community is ready to answer.