Chili's

Chili's Employee Reviews

Found 1,853 reviews matching the search
Hard work and High Turnover
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 8, 2016
Exactly what the summary says. The work was what you would expect from a restaurant job there was just too many turnover's. I went through at least 4 managers and 5 coworkers before i decided i didn't want to put up with it anymore.
Hosting
Hostess (Former Employee) –  North Druid Hills, GAJanuary 7, 2016
I am very good at getting along with coworkers. I am great at making friends and I love to meet new people. I follow whats needed of me. At chillis I help clean , rolled silverware, I greeted guests and I also seated them I made sure they where comfortable .
Pros
Meeting new peopl, greeting guest and organizing
Cons
Rolling silverware, rude customers .
Fun place
Server (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJanuary 6, 2016
Always a fun place to be . Always meeting new customers and having fun serving them.Team players all around and everyone is helpful.
Fun place to work at.
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 5, 2016
Fast paced restaurant, team work needed, ran everyone's food, made own deserts. Checked in about 5 and clocked out about 10pm.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Short breaks
Fun, well organized workplace.
Server (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2016
When I come into work the first thing I do is detail the table in my zone. I then make sure to set the team up for success by restoring cups, ice, beverages, ect. At Chilis, not only amy I a server but I'm a Busser, Food Runner, Expo, and sometimes Host. Not because I was scheduled for that position, but because we do not simply have those positions for the most part. We only have an Expo and a Host during high volume times, and as of the other positions, we don't have any Food Runner or Bussers. Working for chilis has actually taught me to work more efficient and detailed because we all clean our own tables, run our own food/drinks, and seat tables. I enjoy working for Chili's because I can take the things I have learned about being more efficient to my other experiences in the future.
Pros
Benefits, team members, tip-out is low
Cons
non personal between upper management and team members.
Worked with fun people
Bar Lounge Server (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, COJanuary 3, 2016
I really did meet many friends working this job that I am still in touch with to do this day. Would have kept working for this company forever but I think they went out of business.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
manager would forget to pay sometimes
Neighborhood Grill and Bar
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Gun Barrel City, TXJanuary 2, 2016
I started out as a server and quickly became apart of the management team. Here is where i got my feet wet as a floor manager of a restaurant. The management team was always willing to show and help the team members. The coworkers always had a positive attitude. The hardest part was just getting into the groove of a management position. The most enjoyable would always be the guest and the people you get the opportunity to meet.
Fun, productive workplace
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Hiram, GAJanuary 1, 2016
-sort menus
-stock kids menus and crayons
-bus tables
-wipe and sweep under tables
-sit guests
-run wait times
-roll silverware
-check restrooms
-help servers as needes
Pros
great people, great hours
Cons
short or no breaks, no free meals
Just wasn't for me
Server (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GADecember 30, 2015
Chilli's is a difficult restaurant to work at, even if you have server experience, which I did not. That being said, then I decided that being server while going to school full time was not the best fit for me at that particular corporation.
Pros
lots of fast money
Cons
poor work environment
I nice family place to go and eat out.
Hourly Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSDecember 28, 2015
I learned how to become a better team player with the coworkers. The hardest part of my job was when management could not stay on the same page. I would be told to do one thing that needed to change and then they would not stick to what they told me to change. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing guests come in and ask for me by name and we would sit and talk and enjoy our conversations.
Pros
communicating with guests
Cons
not being promoted to manager
Server
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Walpole, MADecember 28, 2015
A typical day at Chilis would be serving 3-7 parties depending on the day and how busy we are. I serve drinks and food, Take customer orders and make sure customer has an experience.
Cons
Very high paced environment.
Great staff
Server (Former Employee) –  Buda, TxDecember 27, 2015
I absolutely loved working at chili's. Management keep the place fun and there was always good money. The environment was great and the type of people you severed for the most part was very kind.
Pros
management
Cons
other staff members
Worst job I've ever had in my life.
Host (Former Employee) –  Chili's OviedoDecember 26, 2015
I was a hostess at Chili's for 10 months. We were one of the busiest Chili's in FL and got huge rushes even on weeknights. Wait time was typically 1 1/2 hour, longer for large parties. The management was not cohesive at all, nobody worked as a team and everyone was out to help themselves only, so usually the servers would be mad at the hosts, the kitchen would be mad at the servers, the servers would be mad at the kitchen, the kitchen would be mad at the hosts, and the managers would be mad at everyone. Communication was AWFUL, the headsets were only good to overhear everyone yelling at each other.

During my time there I saw at least 3 cooks walk out in the middle of dinner rush because of the clusterfckery that was happening, and the managers breathing down their necks. Because of the manager's immature attitudes antagonizing people into quitting their jobs, the rest of us would be screwed because now we have less people in the kitchen and we're already behind.

I was paid minimum wage and was expected not only to cover host duties but to run food and then bus tables. They laid off or moved all the busers to different stations and expected me to take over for them without getting a portion of the tips. Breaks are unheard of and once I tried to call in for my shift because I was throwing up, and the manager told me I had to come in because their on-call person "didn't really know how to host". If you're a server, you should know how to host! The manager proceeded to make me come in, even though I TOLD him I was vomiting, and then expected me to run food! I told him, "I'm
  more... not touching anyone's plates. I've been THROWING UP all day."

Examples of the non-cohesive management.

1st manager: "I want you to seat every 3-5 minutes. Inform the table about all the new drinks and menu items and go into detail about the Ziosk. Find out their story and why they are here. Hand out the new menu item slides every 3rd menu because if you hand them all out the kitchen gets too behind"

Two minutes later the 2nd manager comes out. "SEAT SEAT SEAT. Don't worry about anything. Don't explain anything. I want you to seat as fast as you can. I want a new item slide in EVERY menu!"

So no matter what I did a manager would be yelling at me that I was doing it all wrong. Also, no raises, ever. Another host had worked there 7 years and still received minimum wage.
Chili's
Hostess, Togo, Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 23, 2015
A day at Chili's entails great costumer service, multitasking, team work, and the ability to be willing. I enjoyed working at Chili's as it gave me a chance to work with the public and also be taught how to handle money.
Stessful Enviroment
server (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLDecember 23, 2015
Very stressful, decently compensated. Must be good at your job. Benefits are ok. flexible schedule. The job is very up and down with pay because it is tip based.
Busy Place with lot to learn
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 22, 2015
I worked as a hostess and it was rather stressful sometimes because they don't have an online system for reservations so on the weekend there is always a huge rush and no real organized system to take care of a wait time. The co-workers are fun but were relatively an older crowd, management was really good about working with school livability.
Pros
50% off both at Chili's and Maggiano's, scheduling, co-workers were all pleasant
Cons
No breaks ever, bad system for call aheads, drunk people at the bar
awful
server (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INDecember 22, 2015
Everything about this job is awful. You do not want to work here.
Management sucks, the customers are awful, restaurant is in bad shape, no money to be made, hard to work with most coworkers. Treated like youre replaceable. Dont for one second think you are going to be able to eat anything.
Great Company With Amazing Managers
Server/ Host (Current Employee) –  Natchitoches, LADecember 21, 2015
The managers make you feel like a family. They care about you and want to see you succeed. They will kick you in the butt or hug you if you need it. Overall a great working environment.
Fast pace Restaurant
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJDecember 20, 2015
Family restaurant putting out lots of good food and drinks and always motivating staff to upsell with many contest company wide.I always felt highly competitive at Chilis to have the best P&l which really taught me to trouble shoot problems.
Pros
how to run a great P&L
Cons
Quality of food was not the the best it could have been.
Assistant Manager
Regional Trainer/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 19, 2015
Increased service quality by efficiently expediting food items to guests. Supported corporate openings of new stores.