This summer we are looking for passionate Stanford students to welcome student tourists from China, most of which will arrive between early-July and mid-August. This is a part time position, ranging from 6-20hrs/week.
Our company has been organizing and arranging summer camp programs for Chinese students since 1986, and campus tour guides always play the most crucial role in our programs.
As a campus tour guide, you will meet hundreds of Chinese students from 11-18 years old and their parents, who come to Stanford to learn about the university's facilities, as well as student life, culture on campus, academics, and programs offered by the institution. These tours are normally walking tours that typically last 2 hours, and groups are usually between 10 and 30 students, or even sometimes over 50.
Duties and Responsibilities
The students in our summer camp program hope to further their understanding about U.S. campus life and culture, to prepare for their future study abroad, therefore campus tour is a platform to share your experience at Stanford with those eager oversea students. We expect you are:
1. A live GPS of Stanford campus.
Students group might get off from different locations of campus, thus the start of tour might be different. Also, all tours are restricted to schedule, so that you have to time the tour at each places of interest.
2. A storyteller knowing all about Stanford.
Stanford University is the super celebrity among top academic institutions, thus the introduction of it had better be suit for its status. We are expecting vivid explanation and introduction of the architectures, environment, history, life, and culture. Try your best to avoid awkward silence during the tour.
3. An instructor to give suggestion of students’ application and college life.
Most students in our summer camp have intention to pursue a further education abroad, especially in the U.S. Your own story about application and study life in Stanford University would deeply impact on their choice of academic life. We hope you give helpful and instructive advice to those students. Some of them may be your future alumni or friends.
4. A leader of groups of students.
Each group might have 10-30 students, and your most important job is to ensure they are always together with the team. Also, considering the language ability of students, please make sure they follow what you explain to them.
1. Familiar with everywhere in campus. Able to re-arrange tour routes in case of sudden change of schedule.
2. Familiar with the history of Stanford University, anecdotes, culture and value.
3. Mastering public speaking skills, and being articulate and energetic. Good storytellers would be preferred.
4. Having tour guide working experience would be preferred.
5. Able to convey a high-level of enthusiasm about the college, and be willing to share broadly about the experiences of students at Stanford.
6. Able to organize groups of students and guide the tour orderly.
7. Current Standford students or alumni would be preferred.
Note: We plan to recruit 20 campus tour guide, including 10 Chinese and 10 from any other countries. Applicants won’t be evaluated by nationalities.
$80/tour (about 2hrs)