CHOC Children's Employee Reviews

CHOC Research
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 22, 2017
I did not enjoy my time in the Children's Hospital of Orange County, Research Department. The management was oppressive, poorly organized and poorly managed. The head manager in particular was very difficult to work with, and the tension trickled down through the ranks. Interdepartmental relations and inter-personnel relations were awful as well. In addition the organization itself had very odd practices for general things. For example, you had to fill out time off requests and them approved for major holidays like Christmas when the office was closed. Not only is that waste of paper and time, it is just a general mismanagement of resources when you consider the the 100s of employees doing that several times a year. If an office is closed, the only people who need to notify management are the ones who need to be there or on-call due to patient obligations. This is just a small peak of the culture with the system. That doesn't mean that good people do not work there and it is not fulfilling working in the pediatric field, however this organization has a long way to before it is comparable to other major institutions.
Pros
discounted lunch, great IRB department, great blood bank department
Cons
poor management, tedious paperwork (not the actual research paperwork, the corporate paperwork), you come in with a bad reputation and are viewed by other departments poorly
Overwhelming
Medical Transcription Clerk (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 17, 2017
One thing for sure is that there will always be a job in this medical field. But due to the new tower being open a lot of mistakes and miscommunication takes place. Like admitting re-register the patients daily due to not researching enough at the end the patient have two medical record numbers. Management really don't listen to our problems or ideas. They think they are always right and don't give any chances for a clerk like me to speak up and ignore us. Since they are non-profit organization, they get away with a lot of demanding perks each employee needs, Like it does not have union, they only give you the .3% (.25 cents- .35cents) raise each year. There will be always stress like every other jobs and they want you exceed all of their expectations.
Pros
non
Cons
.3% raises each year
Very autocratic senior leader environment
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 24, 2017
Senior leaders look down and staff, especially nurses. ALL decisions must go through the top four executives so nothing ever changes and outdated ideas and practices are par for the course.
Pros
Decent benefits but that is only because they can't keep staff
Cons
High turn over, bizarre culture where low performers are rewarded with promotions, very gossipy and underhanded leaders
Productive place to work
LVN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 16, 2017
I love my job and enjoy working with children. It has helped me grow as a person and a employee. There is always a friendly face to greet you no matter what the day is looking like.
Magnet hospital still needs improvement
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 16, 2017
Magnet hospital with great teamwork and mutual respect among all staff. Doctors are great. Nurses are amazing. The work is hard and the expectations are even harder.
Pros
Breaker nurse great staff
Cons
Short staff.
Best Place to work
Clinical Educator Surgical Services (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 15, 2017
Love working here, great people from Staff to Leadership , all very helpful and friendly. All working toward same vision, that of excellent care for children.
Pros
Great working enviroment
Productive and a Great place to work
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 7, 2017
I enjoyed working with CHOC Children's Hospital for over 10 years I worked in the Pediatric Rheumatology Dept. booking clinic appt., scheduling out patient procedures for our patients.
I worked close with some families that needed assistance with scheduling or transportation for some appointments.
Pros
Great feeling when your able to help families and patients.
Cons
short lunches
Productive place to work
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Excellent management, excellent work place culture, Most enjoyable part of the job was being on a team that really cared about the work they did.
Great on the outside
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Great organization, however it good use some work on the inside. CHOC does great for its patients but little for its employees. Management could be better, under qualified people are often chosen and placed into positions where they souldnt be. Hire good people and maybe people will stay around.
Oncology ICU RN
staff RN, I (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAJanuary 18, 2017
Managed patient care and developed care plan depending on current health state of child as well as family. Pain management, bedside procedures, day to day cares.
Pros
learned much regarding disease process of various cancers
Cons
death
Excellent Teaching Hospital
Surgical Technologist Extern (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 12, 2016
I had the pleasure of doing my externship hours at CHOC and it was the most fulfilling, challenging, humbling and fun experience of my life. My preceptors were extremely helpful and inspiring at the same time. My three months there felt like three weeks, it went by so fast because of the positive experience that I had there.
Pros
Getting to work with children
Cons
30 minute lunches goes by so fast
Excellent Facility
Patient Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 5, 2016
This was a good experience even though I was working with children in oncology. Helping these sick children made me feel good but sad for them that they had this terminal disease.

I helped get the supplies the nurses needed to their stations. I helped doctors with bone marrow procedures that were done in the treatment room. I helped transport lab work. I helped the doctors and nurses with whatever they needed me to do. When they admitted a new patient and the nurses had too much to do I helped admit the patient.

The hardest part was seeing those poor sick children and their families suffer.

The most enjoyable part was when I helped the children go to school or the playroom on the oncology floor and the children were excited to do this. I also helped with the Make A Wish Foundation when they came to the hospital.

Again, I worked here so many years ago that the above is what I remember.
Pros
Helping sick children.
Cons
Having to watch children suffer.
amazing staff
Volunteer surgical tech (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CANovember 22, 2016
I LOVE CHOC! it is amazing what these people do for the kids that need it the most. I would love to be apart of the CHOC team in the future.
Difficult Administrative Environment
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 13, 2016
Prefer a less rigid management style. Too many bosses to answer to. Lack of uniform rules and policies. Not enforced by some and over enforced by others.
Morale is not good and communication is inconsistent.
Pros
Excellent hospital with wonderful doctors and nurses.
Cons
Administrative department very inconsistent with low morale.
Administrative Assistant, Materials Management
Department Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orange, CASeptember 19, 2016
I was encouraged to learn new systems and programs. I was allowed to choose the hours that I worked to fit with my home life.
Lack of integrity
Cardiopulmonary Services Director (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 18, 2016
Patient care was excellent and physicians very receptive to ideas and improving practices.
Everyone wants to feel valued, respected and appreciated.
Pros
created a great leadership team within department
Cons
Lack of integrity and professionalism
Admirable Company
PSF Patient Account Representative/Courier (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 19, 2016
I love what this company stands for and what a great group of people to work with. There was always a smile wherever you went and a willingness to assist anyone that might be in need. Ensuring that families were able to care for their children's health without the worry of managing billing and insurance issues was the best way for me to contribute with out being a nurse or physician.
Great
Emergency Department Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 26, 2016
Volunteering here was a great opportunity. Although, I approached many higher-ups about finding a position where I could be compensated and they were not willing to consider me for employment for some reason. I was qualified at this time to work and be paid for my skills.
The best place to work.
Bed Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 24, 2016
Excellent company to work for. Opportunity for advancement always available. Great coworkers who work together as a team. Amazing place to work.
Great Place to Work even though I was just interning as a Student
Assisting the surgical team (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 7, 2016
The hours were very convenient for me,which I was very happy about. I learned how things are run in the Sterile Processing and Operating Room environment. My shift lead Ryan Scott was a great guy to work with,never a dull moment. My co-workers were a great group they helped me a lot along my learning journey. I would say the hardest part of the job was keeping up with the work load at times,but at the end of the day everyone pulled together and pulled it off. My most enjoyable part was learning something new everyday that will stay a part of me and help me become a good employee.
Pros
Discounted Lunch
Cons
Cafeteria Food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CHOC Children's. Our community is ready to answer.

CHOC Children's Reviews by Location