CHOC Children's

CHOC Children's Employer Reviews

CHOC is a great place to work
Pre- Admission Testing Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee), Orange, CAJune 29, 2014
It has always been a pleasure with such joy working with the children. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the children during their on site visits, and being able to ease the parents, and address their concerns prior to their child's surgery. Management has always been supportive!
great team and patient focus
Respiratory (Current Employee), Orange, CAJune 25, 2014
As we are faced with financial constraints, we have pulled together to make sure the level of care we provide remains outstanding. This has lead to a culture of team work and a different way of looking at patient assignments.
Good place to learn good work fundamentals and advanced work skills
Department Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Orange, CAMay 27, 2014
Pros: cafeteria was very nice
Cons: no growth in administrative field & often times no annual raise
This is a good place to learn how to support a team, and a good place to learn how to balance job tasks in fast paced environment.
Good place to work that cares greatly for the pediatric population.
Case Manager (Current Employee), Orange, CAMay 19, 2014
Great co-workers and physicians.
The employees that work here are devoted to the best care possible for the pedicatric population. Fellow staff is very helpful.
Supports a just culture and allows for internal professional growth
Manager of Patient Care Informatics (Former Employee), Orange CaliforniaMay 17, 2014
Pros: an environment which fosters professional respect
Cons: weak support for professional education advancement
Responsibilities of Manager of Informatics included department organization of staff, job descriptions, roles and responsibilities, and organization of department daily functions. Works closely with the Information Technology department in systems design, integration testing, staff education, and support for go-live implementation. Organized front line – more... staff subject matter experts and daily end-user support. Streamlined new associate education on the EHR. Maintain quality measures to improve system implementation outcomes increasing patient safety and cost reduction. – less
Productive place
Interpreter/Translator (Current Employee), Orange, CAMay 10, 2014
Pros: work compensations
Cons: low pay
I have learned a lot, not so intensive work journeys, in my geographical vicinity
secure employment
Medical Record Technician (Former Employee), orange, caNovember 15, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits
lack of support from management, hard to advance within company, many nice luncheons, free gifts/CHOC merchandise, yearly reviews/raises
Unprofessional/non-engaged executive team
Nurse Manager, Primary Care (Former Employee), Orange CountyOctober 29, 2013
Pros: opportunities to move around
Cons: promote within even if person is not qualified
I learned how great of a manger I am from the lack of managers/leaders this organization hires. Most of my peers lacked assertiveness, leadership ability, or doing what is right despite the consequences.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the patients. Helping/assisting children, is what makes life complete.
Love what I do.
Admitting Representative (Current Employee), Orange, CaOctober 17, 2013
-Always helping families with questions they may have.
-Look forward to always learning something new within my department.
-Good relationship with my bosses
-Always happy to help my co workers when they need assistance
Best place to work
Research Assistant Intern, Diabetes Department (Former Employee), Orange, CASeptember 1, 2013
Pros: good employees with great knowledge
input data into the SPSS software, teach about diabetes awareness and prepare pamphlets and props. The hardest part was helping to write the manual for the diabetes awarness program.
Love all aspects of care
Assisted the nurse (Former Employee), Orange CountyMay 8, 2013
Sick children hardest to accept but I still love to help my nurses in taking care of their patients. It was one of my clinical semesters at CSULB.
Overall a great learning experience that made me a stronger dietitian
Pediatric Dietitian (Former Employee), Orange, CAMay 7, 2013
Pros: coworkers, team collaboration, respect
Cons: oncology stressful to witness sick children
I worked well independently and with a talented team. I was a pediatric clinician on the floors, in clinics and one-on-one outpatient. It was a challenging yet rewarding experience. CHOC is a teaching hospital, so I learned a great deal about myself and pediatrics in general. I also mentored interns and residents.
Excellent Hospital with Supportive co-workers and supervisor
MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST (Former Employee), Orange, CAApril 29, 2013
Pros: free lunches for employees
Cons: at times, a back log of work, more than one transcriber can handle
Although I only served in a temporary capacity at this hospital, I found everyone supportive and eager to help.
Worst place I've worked
Clerical (Former Employee), South TowerApril 22, 2013
Pros: helping children
Cons: poorly managed. favoritism.
HR makes promises they can't deliver just to get you hired. Management has "favorites" -it's obvious. If you like to suck up to management then you too can be a favorite. If your job is done well and you've exceeded expectations, then you might get a smile or "good morning" every now and then.

It's a fantastic hospital for patient care.
Terrible HR culture from inept HR executive leader
Administration (Current Employee), Orange, CaApril 10, 2013
Pros: great hospital and clinical areas
Cons: hr department leadership is hostile.
If your child needs hospitalization this is a great place. But if you need a job in human resources; this is not a good environment. It is a department of chaos and inept executive leadership. There's nothing "human" about human resources and the hostile leadership has driven the best talent away. They are trying to "rebuild" the HR department; but – more... with such weak leadership at the core it will remain an undesirable department to work for. – less
BEST PLACE TO WORK!
Clinical Associate (Former Employee), Orange, CAMarch 26, 2013
Pros: good reputation in the community
Cons: none!
ONE OF THE BEST PLACES TO WORK!

36 HOUR WEEKS, 12 HOUR DAYS

WORKED FOR FLOAT POOL

LEARNED TO BE FLEXIBLE

EXCELLENT MANAGEMENT

HARDEST PART OF THE JOB WAS THE INCONSISTENCY THAT CAME WITH BEING A PART OF THE FLOAT POOL

COWORKERS ARE AMAZING!
Great company to work, excellent vision and mission.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), CAOctober 2, 2012
The most enjoyable part of my job is that at the end of the day, I went home being proud of my company, coworkers and myself. CHOC does truthfully cares about the well being of children. I have learned that no matter if its a hard day or an easy day, departments work together like a family.
Extremely positive environment with compassionate volunteers.
CHOC Radio Volunteer (Former Employee), Orange, CAAugust 28, 2012
Pros: friendly peers and supervisors, rewarding job, ability to gain skills, opportunity to learn how to work with kids, sometimes food was provided
Cons: sometimes exhausting, witnessing disturbing circumstances
On a typical day of volunteering, I would go into the radio station in the lobby of the hospital and help set up the day's production. Then I would help gather and prep the crafts to give out to the kids. With a team of about four volunteers I would go to my assigned floor of the hospital and begin to distribute crafts to each room. Every room visit – more... had strict protocol. There was a lot to memorize and the job requires special responsibility and integrity. I would go into each room and ask kindly if the patient or family wanted a craft, or if they needed anything, including friendly company. The process could take 5 to 30 minutes in each room. The radio station is important because it gives the kids an opportunity to make a choice as to whether or not they want to participate in something in the hospital. It exists entirely for the kids and their families. My favorite part of the job was my opportunity to interact with children. My stated reason for doing this was to make a difference in the lives of children. The hardest part of the job was the exhaustion that came with supervising children for hours. I'm glad I did it, and I would gladly do it, or something similar, again. – less
Excellent Place to work
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee), Orange, CAJune 22, 2012
Pros: chance for advancement, lots of avenues to increase knowledge
Cons: they do not re-hire former employees! :( at least so far . . .
When i worked at CHOC, I really felt a sense of belonging, and working within a team effort, no matter how small my contribution may have been. I knew that I was, with the help of others, helping to contribute to the overall health of Orange County's next generation, and that feeling is something you cant take to the bank!

Phil S.
Good Experience
Registered Nurse Clincial Nurse III (Current Employee), Orange, CAJune 16, 2012
Pros: tuitition reimbursement, supportive staff
Cons: 12 hours is a long day
I have worked for CHOC for five years as both a night and day nurse. I work three twelve hour days, taking care of 3-4 patients. Admissions and discharges occur daily. Charge nurse assesses and assists when needed, supportive staff. Hardest part of day is completing all that is needed to support parents in their time of crisis.Exemplary care is expected – more... and provided by the CHOC staff. I enjoy comforting and supporting the children in their time of need. – less