CHOC Employee Reviews

Welcoming Environment
Clinical Associate (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 15, 2017
Having previously volunteered at CHOC prior to hire, I can say that all the staff overall is very welcoming. As a volunteer, they treated me with respect, something I feel is not always the case. They also encouraged me to pursue a career in healthcare and shared their own experiences and advice willingly.
As an employee, I see recognize more of the "behind-the-scenes" that takes place. In spite of this, I still enjoy working at CHOC. Personally, I feel that the fact it is not unionized is a great plus, as it allows you to work closely with your manager.
Overall, I think that CHOC does its best to take care of its employees.
Pros
Pleasant Coworkers, Great managers, Respect
Rewarding career
Family Services Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 2, 2016
If your passion and goals are to help others CHOC is a great place to achieve your goals. CHOC allowed me to grow and achieve many of my career goals.
Entitled Employees Lazy Management
nursing (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJanuary 24, 2015
Typical day at work is good until you need something. If you want recognition - do not work here. If you want your peers to show up on time and respect your time - do not work here. If you want your manager to care about your annual evaluation - do not work here. The hardest part of this job is trying to deal with an inept HR department, managers who spend 90% of their time in redundant meetings and dealing with shared services. As in any children's hospital, the best part is the kids.
Pros
You can pretty much do whatever you want
Cons
HR department and in fighting in management
The day shift in the NICU will chew you up and spit you out!
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Orange, CaJanuary 5, 2014
I loved working the NOC shift.. Nurses were a team. Day shift was clique ish and plain mean. Be careful if you are older in age. Saw some shady behaviors towards these nurses. I'm not familiar with other units... Stick to NOC shift.
Think twice before accepting a position here
Administration (Current Employee) –  OrangeSeptember 1, 2013
Executives here create an environment of distrust and do not hold themselves accountable, this is the worst leadership team I have ever worked with. It's a surprise they have survived this long. The principles & mission are a joke, some of the executives are the biggest hypocrites, and get away with bad behavior. The best employees have left or are leaving. And calling employees "associates" is so pretentious.
Pros
Excellent & caring physicians and clinical staff.
Cons
Worst leadership, a culture of distrust & dishonesty from executives
Top heavy administration with no skills
Admin (Former Employee) –  CHOCJune 3, 2013
To many RN's in the admin role with no hospital management skills, hospital bed occupancy in the 180's staff gets floated allot. CHOC is not what you would expect, everyone is fake from admin to staff.
Pros
Gain Peds experience
Cons
low pay, low volume, high volume of administrators
Fun place
Admitting Representive / Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 31, 2013
I been working at CHOC for 6 years I have leaern a lot. My day starts early at 5am and my mornings are always busy I am a Admitting Representative my job duties is to register patients that come in for surgeries or other monir procedures. I work with great people my department is all about team work. My supervisor is a great person and really profesional my director she is a hard working woman always looking after her employees. My job can be a little hard since there are times that I get upset parents and I have to do my best on understanding and being patient with them to me I see it as they are nervous. I enjoy working at CHOC because is full of new opportunities but also because I love helping people and I love kids.
Pros
Discounts at the cafeteria and gift shop
Cons
Great benefits
There are many opportunities in HR because its a terrible place to work
Administration (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 10, 2013
If your child needs hospitalization this is a great place. But if you need a job in human resources; this is not a good environment. It is a department of chaos and inept executive leadership. There's nothing "human" about human resources and the hostile leadership has driven the best talent away. They are trying to "rebuild" the HR department; but with such weak leadership at the core it will remain an undesirable department to work for.
Pros
no shortage of work and it all goes unrecognized.
Cons
inept hr executive leadership that creates a culture of chaos and hostility
Do not work in HR
manager (Former Employee) –  orange, CAApril 3, 2013
I have never worked for an HR executive as horrible as the current one at CHOC. If you are looking to be micro-managed and belittled by someone who has stated "I need help to mentor, don't know how to do it" or one that can't make a decision to saver her life but willing to sacrafice her managers, then this is the place for you. In less than a year this VP has had every direct report resign and some additional professional level folks resign and the CEO is in full support of this incompetence, lack of trust and abuse. This is the second hospital this VP of HR has had almost her entire team resign. Be very careful if you are considering a position in HR. I would do my research on the executive and be sure to ask why the position is open. It has nothing to do with following a previous Executive and everything to do with running away as fast as possible from the existing VP of HR.
Pros
amazing clinical leaders, clinicians and physicians, they perform miracles
Cons
executive leadership is the worst i have ever experienced
Very unorganized, low pay
ADMIN (Former Employee) –  orangeJanuary 24, 2013
This is a great Children's Hospital! But to work here is a different story!! HR is very rude and nor willing to help anyone. The whole hiring process/orientation is totally unorganized and boring! Nobody knows anything!! The mgmt will tell you whatever you want to hear just to hire you...then everything changes when you actually start!! I would not recommend this place to.work at....
Cons
hr is horrible! low pay
Expect The Unexpected
Life Skills/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PAOctober 3, 2012
Lead Staff on the 3rd shift. I am a lifeskills worker at a homeless shelter on the Norristown State Hospital grounds. A typical night at work.... it's uaually quiet when I come in at 11pm because most of the residents are asleep or getting ready to go to sleep. This is a coed shelter and we are dealing with residents who have major mental health issues, drug addicts, recovering addicts, clients who have been abused, ex-cons, and some who have just fell on hard times.There are 4 staff on 3rd shift and between 50-60 residents and things can get crazy really fast.....so crazy that we may have to call in the police and have people escorted off the grounds or maybe even locked up for misconduct in the shelter.I have learned in this field to "Expect The Unexpected"

My Co-Workers are okay and as far as management they could show more support as far as their staff and after working here for almost 5yrs the hardest part about this job is showing up and the most enjoyable is leaving out the door.
Pros
no supervisors and management on the 3rd shift, 3 bonuses a year
Cons
better wages, no raises, dead end job
Awesome Place to work
Leasing Agent/Property Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CASeptember 28, 2012
It was a small office but very well ran. I learned a lot about mobile home law from the property manager.
Pros
small office
Cons
no full time option
fun working enviroment
Supervisor Maintence Tech (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJuly 9, 2012
Great place to work, great managment staff and co-workers, meet some really nice people.
Pros
great work enviorment
Cons
low pay
Well known childrens hospital
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 6, 2012
Largest childrens units in Orange county. Focused staff members and good patient ratios.