Choctaw Nation Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Choctaw travel plaza (Former Employee) –  Stringtown, OKMay 23, 2017
Wanting a change in work experience wanting to try new things and broaden my work experience improve my work background better my career move forward in my future
Not a good experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKApril 13, 2017
I was thrown in and asked to fix a department without any guidance or team support. Long stressful hours left me dazed and confused. I was glad to get out of there.
Promises made during the hiring process were not kept. The harder I worked on a plan of action and tried to put into place the farther behind I fell.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Lack of management support.
Great values and incredible work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKMarch 8, 2017
At Choctaw Casino we treated our customers as guests, for example: on the casino floor we always let the guest have the right away. While there, I learned the most effective ways of calming down a guest. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be seeing the diversity of people and getting to talk with them. I believe getting to know our guests/patients is one of the most important parts of the job.
great first job. has some good career opportunities starting cook pay is great
Kitchen Supervisor/Cook (Former Employee) –  Pocola, OKJanuary 24, 2017
Choctaw has its perks. There are good people there and it can be fun. They have live music on the weekends and you can meet some great guests. There is also a lot of negativity and some management weren't to fair.
Pros
vacation, benefits. fun people live music
Cons
some management, bad workers not disciplined a lot of negativity
An Awesome Place To Work
Server (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKJanuary 13, 2017
I loved working at Choctaw Nation. It's no secret that the pay for the area beats most, but the job also does come with great benefits i.e. access to the Choctaw Wellness Center, a dinning area (ADR) for employees/employers only, flexible hours around school and etc. I ended up quitting Choctaw when I got enrolled for that Fall semester, but if it hadn't been for that I did see myself wanting to be a part of Choctaw Nation for a good length of time. Choctaw takes pride in being the best in hospitality both to their Choctaw Nation members and their workers.
Cons
Blacklist Holidays
Overall Bad
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKOctober 24, 2016
Housekeepers working with lots of points and no work ethic. Management is gullible with no backbone. Supervisors do what they want with no management being able to control them. If you're not a favorite or in their click you can pretty much kiss your job goodbye. It is a joke to work in this department.
Pros
They feed you
Cons
Too many chiefs and not enough indiand
Very Difficult to know your job. No communication.
Dorm Matron (Current Employee) –  McAlester, OKOctober 6, 2016
Every day is different. I have learned to go with the flow upon my arrival for my shift. There is a lot of responsibility with my job, more than you can imagine. Co-workers are somewhat difficult to work with due to their lack of work ethic, integrity and CN hiring people who are not really wanting to work, but just wanting a paycheck. Management definitely have their favorites. Lack of communication is my biggest complaint! I love that I work with small children.
Pros
Working with small children.
Cons
Co-workers who won't do their job.
Laid back, quiet work place
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKAugust 31, 2016
Working as an office manager for the Choctaw Nation was a very enjoyable job. I worked my own hours, had an office and all my supplies and equipment were provided. My day consisted of answering calls, making copies, helping with projects, shredding papers and running errands. There were a lot of different people with different job titles that worked in my building, but everyone loved working with one another. My supervisor was very nice and understanding to me and everyone else. I enjoyed having my own freedom to do things at my own pace and getting to help everyone, not having just one thing I do. The least enjoyable part was the slow days when there was not much to do and no one was in the building.
Lpn- horrible
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Talihina, OKJune 30, 2016
They lie and care nothing about you or your family. They only care about their image and administration lies to you and the public to make themselves look good. It is even difficult to get services to their patients if the patient has to be sent to another facility for care.
Cons
Its a dog eat dog workplace
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Pocola, OKMarch 5, 2016
I worked there for six years. Before the renovation it was like a family environment but it's always about who you know and management always plays favorites. The only way to move up depends on how well you can suck up. Reason #1 why I stayed in the position I started in. They definitely let you know that if you dont like your job there is always someone that would and how easily you can be replaced.
Pros
Birthday & Cristmas bonus
Cons
Everything else
Loved it!
Server/Host (Former Employee) –  Grant, OKFebruary 18, 2016
Such a bright and lively place to work. Learning experiences and a friendly environment. Always a pleasure to service the guest as we called them
Meeting different people every day
OTB (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKJanuary 11, 2016
Using mathematical skills with money, interacting with guests and coworkers in a professional manner, the hardest part would be handling unprofessional situations from supervisors.
Pros
Good pay for working less days
Cons
Healthcare, no overtime
Productive, great atmosphere
Ward Clerk (Current Employee) –  Poteau, OKJuly 29, 2015
My typical day I work 10 hours shift Monday-Thusday. I sit at at front window at Dr.'s office, i answer phone calls, make appts, provide great customer service,toubleshooting, data entry. I've started out doing registration,ive learned alot since ive been here, there was alot to learn in both positions. great co worker commincations is good. i think the hardest part is just seeing the patients not feeling good,sick some you hear of there passing. I do like working with the public/patients helping out making a difference
Pros
time off is good ex holidays
Cons
dont have any at this time
Beware....wolf in sheep's clothing!!!
Employee (Current Employee) –  Choctaw NationFebruary 20, 2015
All leaders speak out of both sides of their months....
All the promises that are positive about the job and then no job security whatsoever....please think twice or more before excepting a job offer from Choctaw Nation!
Benefits
Cons
Exactly Cons
Horrible Group to Work For
Worker at Travel Plaza (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKFebruary 15, 2015
STAY AWAY FROM THIS GROUP!!! A lot of promise, but very short on delivery and VERY POLITICAL!!! Many of the entities are run by people who have no business sense at all. Their only concern is for them to keep their phony baloney jobs!

STAY AWAY
It's a gas station!
General Employee - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Broken Bow, OKFebruary 10, 2015
I had fun working here, but it was also my first 3rd shift job and I will never work another 3rd shift job if I can avoid it! The Choctaw Nation is great to work for.
Good work enviroment
Mail crew level 1 (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKSeptember 29, 2014
Currently working part time in the mail room labeling over 90,000 mail outs for the nation each month. enjoyable work team and manager. environment is comfortable and relaxed.
Pros
on campus cafatiera
Cons
limited parking
Summary Choctaw Nation
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 20, 2014
Modified Work schedule on sites for convenience of contractors. Phone access to management anytime. On site training of updated industry equipment.
Pros
Per Diem, Hotel accomodations
Cons
Inconsistent work
Overall a great learning experience.
Event Planning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Durant, OKJuly 14, 2014
My review of Choctaw Nation is all overall very influential. It was a great learning experience. My time with my mentors were great and has an ever lasting imprint on my success as a future colleague.
Horrible place to work
Desk job (Current Employee) –  pocolaMarch 6, 2014
No life outside of work because of hours. They promise you opportunities to advance, only to pull the rug out from underneath you at the last minute...this tends to happen often! Management is a joke and play favorites. After all this, at least you get good benefits. (If one is fortunate to keep them...entire departments get hours cut for months at a time with no warning.) They even offer extra benefits for you if you get cancer from secondhand smoke since you breath in about half a pack a day :)
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Choctaw Nation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6