In order to apply, please visit http://www.applitrack.com/choice/onlineapp.
Kids are special! That’s why parents want to make sure their kids have the right start. The choices you make today in your child’s education can spell a big difference in his or her life tomorrow. Benton Harbor Charter School is an educational community that teaches each child as an individual. The classes are small, so the teacher has the chance to work one-on-one with the students. Discipline is strict, so parents know children learn in a safe environment. The academic standards are set high, so children can feel the challenge to reach their highest potential. Character development is a central part of the educational experience to prepare children for active, thoughtful, and caring participation in the world around them.
- Valid Michigan teacher certificate.
- Demonstrated competence as a teacher.
- Demonstrated competence in all areas of focus
- Computer literate.
- Respected as a teacher and as an individual.
- Excellent verbal and written expression.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
To provide students with a first class learning experience, which contributes to their development as enlightened and responsible citizens and as leaders in their communities.
- Shares a commitment to the success of the mission, goals, and objectives of the Academy.
- Accepts responsibility for the achievement of students.
- Guides the learning process toward achievement of curriculum goals and implementation of personal learning plans of students.
- Demonstrates effective planning and organization for instruction.
- Motivates students to achieve at their highest level of ability and potential through classroom activities, assignments, relationships, participation and feedback; holds high expectations and demonstrates sensitivity to different learning styles.
- Uses resources effectively to support learning activities in the classroom, the Academy, and the community.
- Demonstrates exceptional classroom techniques which include the art of questioning, clarity of assignments, communications in large and small groups with individual students, an atmosphere of mutual respect, independent thought and expression, and student and teacher experiences.
- Works cooperatively with parents and generates parents’ confidence in the teacher.
- Demonstrates genuine concern for students in a climate characterized by high personal and student expectations.
- Promotes good citizenship through actions as a role model.
- Provides a classroom atmosphere based on the principles of firm, fair, and consistent practices, respect for individual children, and development of responsible citizenship.
- Participates in the development of polices and regulations that affect instruction and conditions of success.
- Uses technology effectively for instruction, record keeping and other administrative tasks, and communications.
- Shares responsibility for professional, cooperative staff relations and for out-of-class activities important to the operation of the Academy.
- Conducts himself or herself according to professional, ethical principles.
- Continually strives to improve classroom methods, teaching techniques, and interpersonal relationships.
- Displays pride in being a teacher and a member of the Academy.
- Assumes other responsibilities assigned by the Principal.
- Conducts two home visits and two conferences per student annually.
- Utilizes the assigned curriculum (e.g. Creative Curriculum) observation and assessment system to create and maintain individual child profiles.
- Uses objective observations to assess student progress.
- Ensures compliance with child licensing laws and grant requirements.
- Provides sufficient and meaningful opportunities for children to plan, carry out a plan, and recall their activities daily.
- Implements developmentally appropriate small and large group experiences daily.
- Intentionally supports and extends children's plans outdoors daily.
- Utilizes a team teaching approach in cooperation with the associate teacher.
*Choice Schools Associates is an Education Service Provider for ten charter schools in Michigan and is the employer. Employees are provided to the public school academy (charter school) Board of Directors through an agreement with Choice Schools Associates. EEOC