William C. Abney Academy
1435 Fulton Street East
Grand Rapids, MI 49003
In order to apply, please visit: http://www.applitrack.com/choice/onlineapp.
William C. Abney Academy is dedicated to ensuring that each student maximizes his/her potential through:
- having the best trained world class teaching staff
- developing a leadership foundation for students as a cornerstone for academic excellence undergirded by “The Abney Way”
- supporting and encouraging the staff as they continuously learn and improve
- optimizing technology to transform the system and open up opportunities
- providing and promoting the arts as balance and enrichment in life
- providing a rich teaching and learning environment that produces lifelong readers that utilize higher-level thinking and creative problem-solving methods, possess moral integrity, master practical life skills and have sense of social responsibility.
…in an environment that is safe, fun and nurturing.
- Valid state certificate as School Counselor, or School Social Worker.
- Demonstrated competence in all areas of focus.
- Social work case reporting and writing skills.
- Ability to counsel students, parents, and staff, individually and in groups.
- Excellent verbal and written expression using proper grammar and vocabulary.
- Exemplary work habits verified by previous employers.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge and skills of the IEP process.
- Knowledge and skills working with At-Risk students.
To promote understanding of the emotional and social development of children and the influences of family, community, and cultural differences on student success along with the implementation of effective intervention strategies.
ESSENTIAL PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
ASSESSMENT OF STUDENT, FAMILY AND SCHOOL NEEDS:
o Conducts assessments and evaluations in accordance with family and student rights.
o Uses student, family, and school assessment results to identify needs that affect student learning.
o Provides social work counseling to students and parents.
o Provides psycho-social assessment and diagnosis of behavior disabilities with recommendations and/or environmental manipulations at the school, home, and/or community with periodic reevaluations.
o Evaluates transcripts; participates, as requested, in planning, implementation and follow-up phases of proficiency testing.
o Participates in Child Study Process and Individual Education Plan (IEP) process as required.
o Makes referral to public or private agencies with appropriate follow-up
o Serves as a liaison between school, family, and community resources.
o Serves as a source of information regarding community resources.
CONSULTATION AND COLLABORATION:
o Participates in case conferences involving cooperation with other pupil personnel workers, school personnel, and community agencies.
o Acts as a consultant to resolve problems concerning issuance of credits.
o Work with students on an individual basis in seeking solution to personal problems related to such areas as home and family relations, health, and emotional adjustment.
PROGRAM PLANNING, IMPLEMENTATION, AND EVALUATION:
o Participates in the development of policies and regulations that affect instruction and conditions of success.
o Works cooperatively with the Health Education Teachers to carry out the Academy’s sex education program.
o Provides in-service training for staff in guidance programs and in student conflict resolution and self-awareness programs.
o Assumes other responsibilities assigned by the Administrator.
o Conforms to the National Association of Social Work (NASW), Code of Ethics, and Standards for School Social Work practice.
o Assumes responsibility for the orderliness of the learning environment and the appropriate and safe use of instructional facilities and equipment.
o Maintains and administers the student records system according to the Academy, state, and federal regulations and protects the system’s confidentiality.
o Organizes time, resources, energy, and workload in order to meet responsibilities.
o Participates in appropriate professional development activities to improve knowledge and skills.
*Choice Schools Associates is an Education Service Provider for ten charter schools in Michigan and is the employer. Employees are provided to the public school academy (charter school) Board of Directors through an agreement with Choice Schools Associates. EEOC