CHOICES Employee Reviews

Fun and Diverse Place to Work
Medical Lab Assistant/ HIV Prevention Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 13, 2017
Choices was a fun and diverse place to work. The enviornment was great. Everyone worked together to help each other. There was organization and community outreach. Plenty of volunteers work together to make sure that they can get help and education to those out in the community.
Pros
Cons
Protesters
Productive, friendly co-workers, and excellent team work.
Direct Care Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MONovember 15, 2016
A typical work day consist of taking care of 4 consumers with special needs. Taking care of the consumers include cooking, cleaning, morning and evening hygiene's, and transporting them to places or events. I have learned that communication, multi- tasking, and staying positive are three important factors in order to do this job.The house manger currently is very understanding and is somebody who is very dependable. I consider myself lucky to have such a warm hearted manager who is always going out of her way to help my co-workers and I with day to day tasks, and always pushing us to set goals along with meet those goals. The hardest part about this job is time. Some consumers are older so after years of taking care of them and they pass away for whatever reason can be emotional sometimes. However, the best thing about this job is we as direct care staff members are in a position where we give the consumers opportunities to ride in the car, to celebrate holidays, and live day to day like normal individuals because without staff members they wouldn't get chances like that.
Pros
Paid Vacation days, paid personal days, and some insurance benefits.
Cons
The hours can be long sometimes but other than that the job is easy.
Great job, great people, and meaningful work
Las Vegas, Substance Abuse Counselor/Intern (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 27, 2016
A typical day at this job is busy from start to finish.
I learned a lot about myself and the importance of what counselors do, as well as, how rewarding it can be to help others.
Management was great when they were around. They, too, were very busy and sometimes not available when needed.
Nice company to work for
PROGRAM SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2016
Love the youth in our Community Utilize my time management skills Coworkers are great. Hardest part is to try to unite all parties involve for CFT meetings. The most enjoyable part is that we are a community.
Pros
High Fidelity Wrap Process
Cons
Around the clock
Choices Review
Temporary Sales & Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, NYSeptember 6, 2016
Great place to work, productive atmosphere and great co-workers, I enjoy my job and what we do here at choices. Management is great at leadership and keeping production flowing
Pros
flexible
Cons
N/A
Great people to work with
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJuly 3, 2016
I enjoyed working there. People and management were great and it was like my second family. Compassionate, caring, kind people to work with to help with client needs.
summary
Certified Drug Counselor and House Manager (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAJuly 11, 2016
It is a great place to take next steps and get established in your career. I hope to see this company around for a long time.This is a great place to learn.
Home Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 13, 2016
a typical day at work was busy helping patient with needs
with feeding,medications,bathing,dressing,cooking cleaning
errands etc.
enjoyed working with the elderly
professional and productive work enviorment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 15, 2016
everyone maintained a professional personality very productive co-workers friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was being able to adapt to any environment i was sent to. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know my patient.
A really great part-time job. I primarily worked at Choices' Henderson facility.
UA Monitor (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 8, 2016
This was a part-time temporary position through Millennium Personnel. As an early retiree, I could only earn $13,700 per annum.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Dirty carpeting in Henderson
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 1, 2016
Typical day at work includes assistant managing our Intake Specialist, I also communicate with TENNCARE throughout the day, acting as a liaison for consumers applying for the CHOICES Program
Clerical (Former Employee) –  ALASKAJuly 17, 2016
Great company to work for, awesome co-workers and it's like your second family. I miss everyone who works there. Honest, hard-working individuals making a difference in mental health.
Pros
Great people to work with
Great Experience
Shelter Advocate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 23, 2016
I loved going to work everyday. The hours worked well for me and the clients just made my day. I loved being able to see the progress of the clients from arrival to moving into their own place. The children were always so excited and so hopeful despite their families current situation.
Telecommunication Researcher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 6, 2016
Typical of serving food
Learned Customer services
Co-worker are great
the end of the day is the hardest part
the most enjoyable part of the Job is leaving
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Alot of soldiers to serve
Enjoyed working here
Executive/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJune 18, 2015
Promoted to Executive Assistant in October 2014 and in June 2015 company is downsizing and eliminating my position. I have enjoyed working here the past 10 years. My typical day at work right now is checking emails and fingerprinting people. I have learned so much it's hard to put into words. I am willing to learn new things and I get along with almost anyone. The hardest part of my job now is there is not much for me to do and I would rather be busy. The most enjoyable part of my job is the friendships that have been made over the years.
Pros
Free cell phone
Cons
Nothing to do at this time
Good
Choices House Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOMay 9, 2016
I enjoyed this job and company.Wish i could work with the same clients again if possible.Good pay and hours.Great people to get along with and wide range of tasks.
Choices, Inc.
resident manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 6, 2016
My job at Choices, Inc. is Resident Manager. On a typical day I might be called upon to help clean an apartment for a new client family. Or I might need to go to check on clients. After office hours, I am responsible for being a presence at the properties. I help with lockouts and other emergencies.

I have learned that you have to separate yourself from the clients. I have had to develop some good boundaries with our clients, no matter what.

My co-workers do a great job and I see them putting 110% into what they do. I have a good relationship with the director. Choices is a good program and I am glad to be a part of it.

The hardest part of the job is the physical labor that comes from having to clean the rooms. I have trouble climbing stairs, these days. Another hard part, for me was enforcing boundaries. I had to learn to separate my job from what I was learning in class about Social Work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the clients succeed. When a family moves in, they have been homeless and they don't trust many people. It is a joy to see them gain confidence and work on getting their lives back together.
Enjoyed the work
Children's Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Luray, VAOctober 31, 2012
Each day was different, never the same. Sometimes you would walk into a crisis maybe a mother just got beat up by her boy friend or husband and decided today that was enough. She would show up on the door step looking for a place to stay, or maybe she called before, but decided he won't hit me again believing what he told her over and over. Finally she gathers her children and looks for a safe place to raise them, without fear of her children or her getting hurt again. The hardest part of the job was knowing the fear they lived and seeing the hurt in the eyes of the young children and the mother. This kind of hurt leaves such a scar on their lives. I learned to listen, most the time that's the most important part, just for them to be able to open up and talk or cry what ever they feel like they need to do to get the pain out. Each person deals with pain in different ways.
But then there were the rewards, when maybe mom got the job she needed so badly, or the child passed the Spelling test after we practiced so hard. Or maybe they found an apartment they could get a fresh start in. The smiles, the laughs the hugs, or maybe it was just something as simple as a new backpack filled with all the things that was needed to start a new school that they could take their pick from among the school supplies that had been provided just for them.
Pros
working close with the children and mothers, hopefully helping them in some way.
Cons
pay being based on grants.
very high turn around for employees
Drug And Alcohol Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 25, 2016
Employees don't stay long here due to the fact the pay is low and the work load is extremely high. The pressure of the day to day things isn't nearly represented in the pay. Company has a long way to go to ensure employees are happy and secure with their jobs.
Extreme positive environment, close knitted staff
CLIENT ADVOCATE/ SUPPORT GROUP SPECIALIST INTERN (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 1, 2015
Having the opportunity to intern at Choices, gave me the independence and freedom to explore what I needed out of my degree, the staff welcomed me with open arms, they were always open to new ideas and constantly working to improve.
Pros
postive environment, allow memebers to put in input of there needs
Cons
not enough funding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CHOICES. Our community is ready to answer.