Christian Broadcasting Network Employee Reviews

Excellent Organization
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 4, 2016
CBN is the epi center of fostering a work culture focused on excellence where there is no veil on the different Christian denominations. This is no easy task, but the presence of the Holy Spirit here makes what would appear in the natural to be an impossibility not only possible but after 50 years of continued growth, a thriving organization filled with people who want to help and empower people from all socio economic backgrounds to prosper. This is done by all focusing on the mission to see folks be led to the Lord Jesus and their lives improved while they are here.
Pros
Chapel; reasonable salary, High accountability Workplace
Cons
Parking Lot entrance and exit
Excellent Experience
Telephone Ministry Line Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 14, 2016
I really enjoyed my time with this company and the people that I worked with each day. They are open and warm they definitely care about you! Your not just a easily replaceable machine to them. These people will work with you based on your life situations as long as you are open to discuss certain things. And with this group of people I promise that you will be comfortable to do so without feeling judged or fearful that you'll be subject to office gossip. Great place to work!! I would be willing to work there again if the right opportunity came along.
Pros
You get to pick your desired shift, friendly co-workers, excellent working environment, pot lucks, clean workplace, opportunities for advancement, etc
Cons
No benefits, mostly offers part-time hours- or weekends only shifts
Balanced Workplace that is money driven
Assistant to the Chairman (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJanuary 29, 2016
CBN is a great ministry but focuses extensively on major gifts from the top partners while ignoring the partners who are not top level givers. There is a Business structure in place that is autocratic, centralized, and top -down. I would not recommend working for CBN is you aspire to be promoted.
Pros
working for a well known ministry
Cons
Glass Ceiling, no contact with upper level management
Very friendly atmosphere and loving place to work.
TELEPHONE TECHNICIAN III (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 21, 2015
Christian Broadcast Network was the best organization i have worked with that allowed me to express my spirituality. My position was eliminated or I would still be working for the organization. I had a great working relationship with all levels of Management, co-workers, VP's, Directors and other associates. CBN gave me an opportunity to grow.
Pros
Friendliness, Loving and Spiritual
Cons
Not enough training for growth.
Wardrobe Styling Internship at CBN
Wardrobe Styling Intern (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 4, 2016
I absolutely loved my internship at CBN!

The experience I received in wardrobe styling was perfect. I had the opportunity to assist creative costumers on projects for televisions shows and I helped one of the wardrobe stylists with buying.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  VAJuly 30, 2015
I enjoyed assisting the Director of Operations and Senior TV Producer for the 700 Club. It was exciting to work for two professional men that enjoyed their jobs. Assisting them in what ever was need weather it was getting Visa's from Washington DC for their International trips, or doing expense reports, or general administrative duties was very rewarding for me. It was an amazing job experience!
Pros
exciting job working for a tv station and handling international office concerns
Cons
wanted a raise
Horrible Place to Work
Non-profit Counselor/Partner Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach VASeptember 18, 2012
I worked for the organization for three years and can honestly say it was the worst work experience I have ever had. Management shows favoritism, bias, and hypocrisy. I saw multiple people fired for unethical reasons. I also knew several older employees who expressed the fact that HR is completely biased towards any complaints about management. I conducted a survey for school with about 20 different employees. Half of them stated they were not treated fairly and that they were told/promised things by management without seeing follow through. Though there are some wonderful top level executives, there is also some very unethical behavior exemplified by their chief officers.
Pros
you could be on tv
Cons
culture, pay, everything else
IT Dept. disorganised
NOC Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia BeachJuly 28, 2016
I had a bad experience as a NOC (Network Operations Center) Tech I. A normal day consisted of living in your email inbox, filling out reports, and monitoring the network infrastructure for alerts and escalating as needed. I had no previous IT experience, but had multiple certifications that prepared for me the job. I thought I would do well.

Without going into too much of the dirty details, I was told from the beginning that a training program was not in place and they were using me as a means of formulating one, specifically I was a "guinea pig". Being passionate about IT but not having any practical experience and not enough sufficient time for one-on-one training prepared me for failure. They developed a training curriculum more than half-way through my training period. My team was very strict and unforgiving no matter how hard I tried to correct my mistakes. It was a very awkward situation and they realized 90 days in they needed someone with experience. By the end, I felt confused by their ambiguity and was never told directly why I was let go.

Each department in CBN is different, even different departments within IT. I would only recommend joining CBN IT with previous experience unless you start at help-desk. In their defense, the NOC team was small and very busy (I enjoy hard work), but I would have thought more grace would be given, especially from a Christian company. You just never know sometimes.

Be prepared to work hard. Don't let the initial friendliness fool you. Every inch of your work from how well you troubleshoot to how well you listen and follow
  more... directions will be scrutinized and evaluated then re-evaluated by your manager and your team.  less
Pros
1 hr lunch break
Cons
very strict
Bias Managment
On Call Production (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 5, 2015
I was a member of the television crew as a on call staff member for a year and a half. I will say the pay for freelance/ on call's is decent 15/hour. But what I quickly noticed was that there was clear bias among the management. For the first few months when I got hired I rarely if ever got called and priority went to other on calls. When I was called in, I never truly felt comfortable there even though I am a Christian myself and CBN is suppose to be full of Christian employees. I can't really explain it but there was just an awkward tension in the air and it just never felt Christian like to me. Granted, there were a few very friendly people who DID seem like nice people and who were Christian like.

But honestly, the thing that ticked me off an made me walk away from the on call position was the bias and favoritism among management. During my year and a half at CBN, I showed up 98% of the time I was called and no one EVER told me I did a bad job or anything. Many times I directly mentioned that I was looking for something full time and my goal was to hopefully get hired full time with the production staff. But they hired a young lady nearly a year after I started as a on call. The old men in management instantly showed bias towards her ( I am a male). So naturally, they overlooked ME and gave her a full time position. The really bad part is they NEVER even tried to let me know about the position. They knew from the outset they were going to give her any full time position that would come up and leave me as an on call.

I also encountered plenty of former employee's
  more... who mention bias and favoritism in management, random layoff's etc. It's sad a "Christian" company does some of the things it does here.  less
Pros
Decent pay, somewhat good christian work enviroment
Cons
Bias and favoritism in managment, not all people are friendly, no job security
Videographer Summary
Videographer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 16, 2014
The job was fast-paced, required a ton of travel, and high-pressure performance. But it was a blast and I had a lot of support from co-workers and management. I've met some of the best people I know there.

The pay was okay, especially since they gave overtime and per diem, which was nice. They also offer good benefits and a 401k.

I recommend this job, especially if you're young and don't mind traveling and seeing the world/country.
Pros
overtime, per diem, traveling, wonderful co-workers and supervisor, christian-based management, good benefits, 401k
Cons
sometimes very stressful, premadonna talent, too much travel if you want to see your family all the time
A Decent Place to work
Logistics Analyst - Direct Marketing (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 13, 2014
Very rewarding place to work if you believe in its mission - to preach the Gospel to all Nations.

I learned a lot about what to do, and not do, in managing people.

Biggest challenge is that the organization is rather large, and issues with middle management can appear depending on who people are working with.

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with some great people.
Pros
daily chapel, good basic benefits (vacay/sick time)
Cons
a few people in management having a limited perspective on how to manage people on their strengths.
Horrible place to work for
On call hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Va beachJuly 14, 2015
This is So NOT a Christain environment. Pay is not enough for all that you have to go through... It's such a fake and judgemental place. You can be the most loyal and dependable employee there and never complain, Not to mention one of if not the best performer in your department. But literally the first time you want to express how you feel and they don't like it. They will go from giving you hours to cutting them to little to no hours and then let you go without any notice.... But will tell you....that they don't have any work for you. When in fact they have already hired someone to fill you're spot. If you are a creative person and one who would address issues, when you are feeling disrespected. All so that you can have an healthy work environment. This is I repeat this is NOT the work place for you. Nothing about most of the people or this place is Christian like.
Pros
Free lunch some times
Cons
Non consistent hours
Great company to work for
Customer Service/ Prayer Counselor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 31, 2012
At CBN you find out what customer service truely means. The management staff are great at assisting meet performance requirements and also are great counselors for your personal life.
Pros
incentives
Cons
not much room for advancement, times have changed though
My ultimate purpose lived
Partner Service Representative (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 25, 2014
by far, my most fitting job ever in my life. I am a proud born again believer and this was perfect for me. Never have I been so proud of a job and because of it I was able to meet the mother of my children. the day was simple, you came in and greeted everyone, logged in and prayed for the callers. when telethon came around you put your game face on and prayed and took pledges. enjoyable part of the job was the chapel meetings everyday and they were on the clock as well as a 45 min lunch break. hardest part was the travel
Pros
restoring confidence in callers, providing comfort, lunch breaks, chapel services
Cons
management, my tenure
Very Professional, cutting edge, high expectation, fun.
Senior Producer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 13, 2014
CBN was a fantastic place to work. There are many great people and I had a fantastic manager. I was given the freedom to think outside the box and had co-workers that if they didn't know how to create what we "thought up", they would figure out how to do it.

Unfortunately, not all of the upper management was as great as the middle management. They micromanaged too much and underutilized the talent of their employees overall.

There was great camaraderie and was more like a family than anywhere else that I've every worked.
Generally flexible schedule as long as you're meeting deadlines
Sr. Flash Developer (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 7, 2013
In the past I was responsible for more creative and innovative ideas, but lately I've become more of a web monkey churning out web pages based on other designers work. I need a challenge and I'm just not getting it here anymore.
Pros
flexible hours, great folks.
Cons
top down management style, enterprise level
Unskilled managment
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 30, 2013
Protected the VIP's of the campus and quest. Hardest part of job was management trying to carry out the law with no formal training.
Pros
worked with a great team
Cons
management had no skill in this field
Working with a mission in mind
Administrative Assistant / Event Cooridnator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 13, 2012
Coordinate high scale events. Enjoyed the fast pace time schedule.
Pros
good pay
Cons
often worked with a micro management boss
Excellent working environment
Partner Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 19, 2014
My review of CBN was very good as I enjoyed the quality and concern of other co workers. The care of each co worker and communication is very high. I gained great communication and counseling skills from with position. The hardest part of this job was when I had to take a suicide call. The most enjoyable part of this job was to pray for others and encourage each listener that called into the prayer line.
Pros
bonus
Cons
short breaks, stress of negative callers
Not a friendly work place
CBN (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 14, 2012
Not a good place to work. Can't trust your co-workers. Management out to fire people
Pros
its a job
Cons
hours, rude treatment, feeling of entitlement

Christian Broadcasting Network Reviews by Location