Christie's Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
The temp jobs are not fairly paid
Gallery Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2017
I was hired as a temp gallery assistant for a show. My feet hurt so much at the end of the day, I wanted to cry. They only pay you $12.50 an hour and you have to stand on your feet for 12 hours. If i was getting paid more, the pain would have been worth it, but the pay was so bad. I mad more money teaching art afterschool. Do not work here if you want to get the foot in the door at Christie's. it is so hard to move up the ladder there as well.
Pros
get to be close to beautiful art
Cons
pay sucks
profuctive
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2017
Great exposure to arts, work with knowledgeable and intelligent art people.The working environment is fast paced and stressful.
Excellent Management and fun place to work
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
Christie's is a great company to work for. Friendly oriented. Management is excellent. Always looking forward to come to work.
fun, intense, crazy, stressfull
Sale Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2017
very high energy vibe and pace. a lot of learning, networking and communication with clients. highly recompensed to any art enthusiasts.
Corporate and Unfriendly
Editor-in-Chief (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2016
Behind the curtain you'll find a corporate behemoth that rolls along on snail time. Most people don't want to go beyond the minimum required. Make sure you know exactly what your job entails and the support you will receive, as they put on a very good show. Once you get in the facade crumbles.
Pros
Reasonable Work Hours
Cons
Wonderful company to work for, boundless opportunities to learn.
Business Support Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2016
Christie's is an excellent place to work, I began right out of college as a finance assistant to the Director of Global Finance, Americas. I've acquired a tremendous amount of knowledge of the art world, its markets, and inner workings. This company has encouraged me to grow and push beyond my limits while forming lasting bonds with my colleagues.
Established heritage brand
West Coast Manager, Special Events and Exhibitions (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 30, 2016
The projects and scope of work was interesting. However, the management structure was challenging and distant and needs to be evaluated and restructured.
great co-workers but management was on weaker side,
Associate Vice President & Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2016
Very corporate, initiatives and independent thinking is not encouraged but at times tolerated
If you are innovative in spirit probably best to enter at senior level once already established in the field
Pros
corp card if you are facing clients and productive
Cons
office bounded
Exciting business for commercial art buffs
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 15, 2015
Overall a solid company to work for. You have to push for you own development and create your next opportunity, otherwise you can become complacent.
Pros
Exciting events and good energy
Cons
Restless business and lack consistent messages from senior leadership
Passionate people, poor management, poor compensation
Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2015
Christie's is a great place to be because it's at the center of the art world; unfortunately, the pay is very, very lean, especially considering cost of living in NY or London; it's a little old-fashion in that many features of other offices like working remotely are not part of the picture at all
Pros
Excellent benefits, Wonderful specialists
Cons
Miserable compensation, No development of staff
Welcoming Environment
Clerical Assistant, Education Dept (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2015
I gained a great deal of experience with Microsoft Excel and with scanning of photographic slides. I was challenged to do something I had not done before but mastered the task at hand. I also learned a great deal about 19th and 20th century American photography.
Engaging and exciting environment in the world's leading auction house
Business Coordinator, Bus. Dev./Client Strategy (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day, and that is the most exciting aspect of working at Christie's - you never know what will come through the door.
It's gone down hill in recent years.
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2014
It used to be a collaborative, results focused organization. Nowadays, it's more about blamestorming and politicking -- results are secondary or tertiary at most.
Productive, fast-paced and educational work environment
Post-War and Contemporary Art Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2014
The program at Christie's was an exceptional way to experience the world of art business, in particular, the fast-paced environment of the auction world. I took part in organizing the galleries, by creating labels for the auctioned items as well as forming maps/graphs of the galleries. The environment was educational in regard to the lectures that took place on a daily basis, educating my group about the inner-workings of this industry.
On a typical day at work, I acted as an assistant in reviewing client appraisals, researching specific artists, and retrieving/scanning information from various locations. I had the opportunity to familiarize myself with the New York Public Library, the Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Museum and the Whitney Museum research libraries in very intense ways.
My bosses in the Post-War and Contemporary Art department were extraordinary in the sense that they wanted us to be as involved as possible in Christie's success. Our questions were received with extensive responses, providing me with a comfortable work environment.
The most enjoyable aspects of the job were my involvement in the important process of the auctions and the immense knowledge that I gained from interning at Christies in the Post-War and Contemporary Art department.
My experience at Christie's provided me with the essential skills I needed to become a vital and diligent worker for my potential employers in the near future.
Pros
Lunch breaks, educational lectures, hands-on involvement
Terrific and supportive atmosphere in which to work.
Full Time. Systems Trainer. (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2014
Terrific and supportive atmosphere in which to work.
Great people who are committed to the job.
Good for Art Lovers and Tough Cookies
Cashier / Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkJuly 6, 2013
Exactly as it sounds. Long long hours, not enough compensation, great managers.
Good financial company
Help Desk Support Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2013
Good financial company. I learned a lot about creating images, building machines, networking.
Productive and fun work place
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2012
A typical day at work would be take Phone calls and either solve the issue on the phone or in person.
Dynamic Company with Great Corporate Culture
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2012
Working in an auction house is an amazing experience. The chance to view museum quality art works at your own leisure is unrivaled. The quick turnover for each period of art is quick and one must be on their toes at all times. An immunity to stress in a high pressurized environment also helps.
Pros
proximity to view art
Cons
high pressure
Lack of values
Design (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2012
Management seems to have no substantial integrity... keep in mind their former Management was convicted for a price scandal with Sotheby's. This culture dribbles it's way down to the bottom where people are taught that it's not the value of your work, who you are, your character that counts... It's the relationships you have with power and wealth that matters most. You have to be great at schmoozing with wealthy people to make it here or you have a personal connection that can pull you ahead. The only positives about working at Christie's is the Art. You are surrounded by it. But you're also surrounded by a culture that will seem unfair. But hey that's high society.
Pros
art
Cons
values

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Christie's. Our community is ready to answer.

Christie's Reviews by Location